PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Disneyland Hotel

brizite
11-19-2006, 11:20 PM
I was reading some reviews on TripAdvisor.com and a good number about the
Disneyland hotel are a little worrying.:confused:
Please let me know if you have had any negative (or positive) experiences here. I stayed at PPH concierge level last time, but this year it's going to be a standard pool view room at DLH.
Thanks for your help,
Alison

ER Nurse
11-19-2006, 11:45 PM
Hi
I was just there. Stayed in the Bonita tower on the 4th floor facing the pools/waterfall. It was not bad. The room was nice. Beds were comfortable and plenty of pillows.

I was a little disappointed in the carpet. It looked kind of old and dirty. I was also sad to see that someone had drawn all over the wood in the bathroom with a ball point pen. Other than that the CM's at the hotel were nice and the walk was not bad.

The coolest part of the room was the glow in the dark pixie dust at night :)

Please email me if you have any direct questions

Lisa D

lisa0729@pacbell.net

kikid
11-20-2006, 05:23 AM
Please let me know if you have had any negative (or positive) experiences here. I stayed at PPH concierge level last time, but this year it's going to be a standard pool view room at DLH.
Thanks for your help,
Alison
I've stayed at the DH every January for the past four years. I love this hotel! The rooms are spacious, beds are large and comfy. I'm a germ-a-phob ;) and have not experienced any problems with housekeeping. Front desk CM are always helpful and kind. Just my two-cents;)
Have a wonderful Disney vacation!

kohl
11-20-2006, 05:41 AM
We have stayed there several times over the years and have never had a problem.

splash
11-20-2006, 07:10 AM
We stayed there in May 2005. We are getting ready to return and are staying there again. We found the rooms to be large and very comfortable. It was also nice to feel like you were always a part of the Disney magic. We found the staff to be extremely helpful and friendly. I think you should have a great experience there. Email me with any specific concerns or questions. We stayed in the Sierra tower with pool view.

stan4d_steph
11-20-2006, 09:18 AM
I was reading some reviews on TripAdvisor.com and a good number about the Disneyland hotel are a little worrying.:confused: Please let me know if you have had any negative (or positive) experiences here.You can read the reviews in the MousePlanet Review Database by following this link (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/display.cgi?product-sku=dlrdh).

cwillis
11-20-2006, 09:22 AM
I stayed there in September. I think you're crazy if you think this hotel is worth more than $100 per night, and I paid $220. The second-floor room I had was too loud, so they moved me to a corner room that was about 10x10, furniture packed in and our stuff packed in even tighter. Not only is their carpet dingy, but they wall paper, bathrooms, and linens are not pleasant to look at or in some cases smell. Also, the halls are bare it looks like a mental ward with plain white walls, and the linens and art reflect a grandmother's tastes. The magic is great when you go through the lobby, the staff is great, but it really ends as soon as you get behind that facade.

DangerMouse
11-20-2006, 09:40 AM
I stayed there with my son for his birthday last February. We got the Disney Visa special rate of $129 per night, and were upgraded to a DTD view room in the Sierra tower. It was a really nice sized room with a daybed and my son loved all the DL touches and the wall-sized sliders opening out to DTD.

It was a great experience, but I don't think we will repeat it unless we get a fabulous deal again. I wouldn't pay over $150 a night, personally. We will continue to stay at the HoJo with our ET rate and use the money we save for special treats in the parks.

jMom
11-20-2006, 10:24 AM
Two questions for you:
(1) Will you be taking kids with you?
(2) are you more a Disney person or a fab hotel kind of person?

For myself, I have 2 young kids, 2 & 4. We've stayed at the DLH (Marina Tower) 3 times with them and have had great stays. I actually prefer the parking lot side to the pool side because you can see fireworks from the park on that side -- perfect if your little ones conk out early but you are up for a little more. Likewise if we head back for a nap and it gets prolonged, staying at the DLH still kinda feels like we're at the parks. The pools are great for families and there are places to get coffee (early AM), Disney things (lobby stores), ATMs, and lunch/dinner right at the hotel.

I prefer the configuration w/ 2 Q beds and the sofa.

I found the rooms, decor, and furniture to all be clean and in good condition.

This will probably be one of those things you will probably have to try for yourself. There could be worse things you'd have to do, eh? ;)

Good luck, and have a great trip!

Tinkermommy
11-20-2006, 10:32 AM
We love this hotel! We stay at least once each year for my daughter's birthday weekend; sometimes more often.

We've been given "problem" rooms twice -- once when our view was of a loud air conditioner, and once when the room was too isolated for just my little girl and I. Both times, we were immediately given a new room. We've stayed in each of the towers, and don't really have a preference. They've all been good.

We like the ambiance -- the Tinker Bell wallpaper, the views, the Mickey decor in the bathrooms, the maps on the furniture, the Disney art on the walls -- just love going to sleep there and waking up there. Oh, and on my daughter's birthday trip, Tinker Bell ALWAYS slips into our room and leaves something special for her!

They've always been helpful and accommodating, even helping with things after our check out time (parking, pool access, etc). It's not the Ritz Carlton, but I know that going in, and LOVE it!

emmah
11-20-2006, 10:51 AM
I stayed there for a week last november/december; i got that special AP rate of $89 a night (which was really $120 with the resort fee and taxes) and I LOVED it. i had a great room (huge!!!) high up in the Sierra tower, looking over DTD. a big wall of windows with a sliding door that opened (but not a balcony) so I could let the sounds in - fantastic. i thought it was very clean, with a super comfy bed. the bathroom was a bit pokey but very clean, and lovely amenities. I enjoyed all the little touches - the patterns in the wallpaper, the mickey hands holding the lights etc, the pixie dust (although mine didn't really glow). the neverland pool is a fantastic way to end the day. and of course the location is fabulous. and i had nothing but praise for the very pleasant and helpful staff who sorted all my tickets, stored my luggage, took care of my passport and laptop etc. big rave from me. the whole thing was wonderful.

that said, i would never spent $220 a night when all i am really looking for is a comfy bed, and the Sheraton is just up the road for about half of that with even better beds. If the AP rate came up again I'd snatch it, but otherwise....

Mark Mywords
11-20-2006, 11:02 AM
We love the DLH. Specifically, we are fans of the the Sierra Tower. The rooms are nice and spacious. We love the decor (bedspreads with disney art integrated in, Dland concept art on the walls, the tv armoir with Herb Ryman's original concept drawing of Disneyland). The pool is awesome. I love to be woken up from our afternoon nap by the sounds of the musical groups playing in Downtown Disney.

I know others have had bad experiences at the hotel, but in the 9 times I've stayed there, I've never had a problem at all. And I'm fairly picky.

That being said, we probably only stay there once every year or so. Going to the park multiple times a year requires more frugal accomodations (we usually stay at the Candy Cane Inn).

MinnieMomma
11-20-2006, 05:45 PM
We've stayed at DLH many times over the last 10 years and our favorite rooms are in the Sierra tower facing Downtown Disney. Now that my kids are all teenagers, I can watch them come and go from the rooms on that side. They call me when they are around the monorail if they are coming from the parks or when they get out of a late movie and I can see them coming. We've never had a complaint with a room, the decor, the cleanliness, the service, its all been great. Now we would be having a different discussion if we were talking about Paradise Pier.......a story for another time.

rentayenta
11-20-2006, 06:35 PM
All stays at the DLH have been decent, some better than others.

One time we found a big hair ball stuck in the non-draining tub-ew!

Another time our neighbors were smoking enough pot that I got high. Called security and they did nothing and were rather rude.

Another time it was fabulous.

The final time the room felt run down and dirty; peeling wallpaper in the bathroom and a funny musty smell.

If you are going to stay at the DLH request the Sierra Tower facing DTD.

We now stay at the Paradise Pier. Cleaner rooms and we have never had anything but fantastic service there!

twist1980
11-20-2006, 06:37 PM
Thanks for your help,
Alison

I loved the DLH! I was there in December, stayed in a city view room in the Bonita tower. While the Bonita tower is the furthest from DtD, I didn't mind at all. Walking past the pool and the fountains every night was wonderful.

I remember looking at the reviews on TripAdvisor after my stay at the DLH and feeling a bit confused...I think it is a great hotel! In fact, I'm taking my boyfriend in February to the DLH for his first DLR trip!

brizite
11-20-2006, 08:38 PM
Another time our neighbors were smoking enough pot that I got high. Called security and they did nothing and were rather rude.

Maybe security was mad because they were not invited to the party (?)

Thank you for all the replies. I am once again excited about our trip. It will be my husband's first trip to Disneyland (!) and I figured the DLH would be the best place for us to stay. Plus I know our 4 year old daugher will love it.
I was just getting bummed because of the "negative nancy" reviews on TripAdvisor. I never expected it to expect the Ritz Carlton - mostly I was just concerned about the cleanliness and politness of the CMs :)
I am so pumped about my trip I wish January was here already!

twist1980
11-21-2006, 06:44 PM
Maybe security was mad because they were not invited to the party (?)

Thank you for all the replies. I am once again excited about our trip. It will be my husband's first trip to Disneyland (!) and I figured the DLH would be the best place for us to stay. Plus I know our 4 year old daugher will love it.
I was just getting bummed because of the "negative nancy" reviews on TripAdvisor. I never expected it to expect the Ritz Carlton - mostly I was just concerned about the cleanliness and politness of the CMs :)
I am so pumped about my trip I wish January was here already!

I'm glad that everyone here could renew your excitement, it really is a lovely hotel. My guess would be that the reviewers on TripAdvisor just don't have the Disney spirit. The CM's were wonderful!

Have a great trip in January (I'm jealous it is a full month earlier than ours)! :p

Susan L
11-21-2006, 08:53 PM
If you got little ones this is the hotel for you. If you got teens you might want to try the PPH or if you can afford the Grand.

When we were at the DLH last there was five of us, two adults and three teens. The room was small.

Housekeeping was less then desirable. The first room we were in had the sound of running water, like a broken pipe. We were in the Sierra Tower, pool side, very noisy, and not a pleasant noisy.

They moved us to the DTD side after a couple of days. View was better, noise level was better but the room was still to small.