PDA

View Full Version : DLR Commericals

HBTiggerFan
05-21-2002, 05:51 PM
OK, maybe its just me, but I find it almost to be false advertising when I see some of the commericals for DL on TV. They have the Carasoel <sp> running, Splash running (yea, I know its about to re-open) but they got the old seating logs in the ads. They had a few other things too that wern't running. It kind of irks me, not becuase I don't know they aren't running (since I know that) but for the people who come to the park to see the rides in the commericals that are suppost to be up and running. Its blatant that the caresol will not be running anytime soon. WHat do you think?

MammaSilva
05-21-2002, 05:59 PM
I totally agree, somehow it should be considered false advertising but they are very careful to make sure you can't be sure 'which' carousel it is and since DCA does have one that is operational they could say it is that one, but when is the last time anyone saw Donald in his sailor outfit at DCA? It irks me when they do that because the little ones see these commercials of kids that look to be the same size they are riding stuff that when they get to the parks they are too short to ride... major unfair

Baloo
05-21-2002, 11:23 PM
Sorry but i would have to disagree. I work in advertisment and what you are seeing is not false advertisment at all. Although the attractions are closed at this time they are still part of the resorts lline of entertainment and are what could be consiered "permanent structures" Disney also has several clauses and statment sin all of it's advertisements, mailings and brochures that shows and schedules could and would be changed because of weather or other circumstances that may arise. The same deal goes for any theme park doing advertisment like this. Look at Six flags they keep advertising "x" yet they have been closing it several times during the week to fix problems and adjustment. Don't you think that they kjnow very well that many people are just going to ride it but will eventually stay anyway even if it is not open. They are legally cleared of anything becuase the attraction closure is posted outside the door before any money is spent by a guest.

Uncle Dick
05-21-2002, 11:30 PM
It's also important to consider that such commercials aren't necessarily intended to get people out of their living rooms and into the car within seconds. A lot of people plan their trips to Disneyland months in advance. I suppose these advertisements are designed to plant a seed in the minds of potential parkgoers; a seed which presumably won't geminate before the Carousel is back up and running.

Iceman
05-22-2002, 07:49 AM
Let's also not forget that the stock footage they use was filmed months or even years ago. You may see defunct attractions, theming, or whatever. Unless they are advertising a specific attraction ("Come see the Carousel of Progress!", for example) that is not available, I don't see any problem with it.

justagrrl
05-22-2002, 08:10 AM
There is no carousel anymore though...is there? Isn't it gone for good now? At least at it's present location.

Uncle Dick
05-22-2002, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by justagrrl
There is no carousel anymore though...is there? Isn't it gone for good now? At least at it's present location.
The carousel will return to it's current location eventually. The only question is how much of the original will remain in the "new" version.

MammaSilva
05-22-2002, 10:47 AM
well I'll 'give' on the use of the rides in the commericials but don't you agree if it isn't legally "false advertising" that it is at least misleading to small children to see those California Screaming coaster riders that are in fact below the posted height requirement in the commericials? and you could be right that the ad's just plant the seed but at the same time little kids get 'visions' of what they can expect from those commercials and when they are misleading it isn't fair, Disney has enough going for it that they don't need to "cheat" with the images IMHO

Mouse
05-22-2002, 10:51 AM
One of the things that I would consider false advertising is the presence of Kuzco and Kronk in the DCA commercials. They have not been in the park since last summer and there is no intention of bringing them back in the future. They are not a permanent attraction and while it is possible that the two could return the DLR’s lack of intent renders it not plausible that they will.

RStar
05-22-2002, 12:02 PM
No, but other characters will. What can they do, have a dissclaimer saying " characters may vary"? As Iceman said, the commercial was put together from older fottage. The idea was to show character interaction. They can't always help that some time.

And frankly I don't get irked because they are trying to decive people. I get depressed seeing a full working park- the way it should be. And is not right now. But in the long run will hopefully be soon. I do feel bad for the people that saw that commercial and go this weekend if things aren't running yet. :(

hefferdude
05-22-2002, 12:48 PM
Having attempted to visit DL after M.A.M.S. and seeing the
crush of guests at 6PM on a Sunday night was a bit
disconcerting. :confused: And we know better.
Not because DL should not be so well attended
but consider the reaction of guests expecting a full or
near full and operating park. They come expecting what
they have seen advertised - only to experience a
very high percentage of closures.
( TL is becoming " Turnedoff Land. )
This is not encouraging. I'm only guessing, but was
the crush of people created by or at least greatly
added to by the closures?
We rode the train,
got an ice cream
and went home.:(

Ace
05-22-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick
It's also important to consider that such commercials aren't necessarily intended to get people out of their living rooms and into the car within seconds. A lot of people plan their trips to Disneyland months in advance. I suppose these advertisements are designed to plant a seed in the minds of potential parkgoers; a seed which presumably won't geminate before the Carousel is back up and running.

I love not having to type something because someone already typed it for me.

HBTiggerFan
05-22-2002, 05:58 PM
I wasn't saying it was false advertising, I was saying that it was something that irked me.

HBTiggerFan
05-22-2002, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by RStar
And frankly I don't get irked because they are trying to decive people. I get depressed seeing a full working park- the way it should be. And is not right now. But in the long run will hopefully be soon. I do feel bad for the people that saw that commercial and go this weekend if things aren't running yet. :(

Yea, thats more of what I was saying. The ads are featuring a fully working park. And yes, people can check the website or other sites but still...

Hades
05-22-2002, 06:50 PM
What I find a bit troublesome is that the shops sell the "Disneyland Resort Video Guide" with all of the closed attractions in DCA.

We play it in the Marina Sundries shop at the DLH. Considering the closure of the Rocket Rods and Cosmic Waves attractions in DL and Wolfgang Puck's Avalon Cove, Mondavi's Golden Vine Winery, and the uncertain status of Super Star Limo, it seems so dated for only having been on the shelves for only 5 months.:eek:

Lacrosse Boy
05-23-2002, 04:22 AM
Tigger-Would you suggest theysho the park like it really is? Half closed and in need of paint

HBTiggerFan
05-23-2002, 08:59 AM
I suggest that they use rides that are not going to be closed indefinality (caresol). As a side note, the caresol I saw in the ad was the one in DL. I am aware that all over the park it says rides and attractions are subject to change w/o notice, but the usage of the caresol that is almost totally dismantled is just wrong. IMHO