PDA

View Full Version : Questions about getting rehired at Disneyland--please help

Pages : [1] 2 3

ladydiamond
11-17-2006, 03:20 PM
Okay, so I worked in Disneyland's California Adventure for a few months back in 2004, my two area's were Millionare and Flicks Fun Fair. However, due to some problems I was let go (like a guest was standing up on the ride and I had to hit the auto stop, and had problems restarting it, so I needed a leads help). I fully admit I probably wasnt ready to handle a job like Disneyland at the time. However, I went back to rehire today since I am almost done with my schooling, and as such, I was not hired because

1. They wanted me to have atleast 6 months work experience someplace else so they can see I can hold down a job

2. Because of the problems I had in the past, they said they wouldn't hire me back in attractions

For anyone who has been fired from Disneyland, did you get rehired if you ever went to apply, and did they eventually place you back into your area? I'd love to go back and I'd love to work in attractions again, I just don't want all hope to be gone, ya know? Is there any advice anyone can give?

Thanks

Oh ya :waves: Hi I'm Lady Diamond and I'm new here

Bytebear
11-17-2006, 04:04 PM
I would not try for attractions, at least not right now. I would do just as they say. Find a job somewhere else, and work hard for 6 months, and come back (before quitting your job) and see if they can use you.

My suggestion is to work in retail or foods. There are plenty of jobs out there, especially in the Holliday season. Find something similar to what you would do at Disneyland (selling clothes, making burritoes, whatever), and get good at it. Once you have some experience dealing with that work environment, they will be more likely to bring you on at Disneyland. And who knows, you may like your job so much, you won't want to work at Disneyland.

ladydiamond
11-17-2006, 04:10 PM
I would not try for attractions, at least not right now. I would do just as they say. Find a job somewhere else, and work hard for 6 months, and come back (before quitting your job) and see if they can use you.

My suggestion is to work in retail or foods. There are plenty of jobs out there, especially in the Holliday season. Find something similar to what you would do at Disneyland (selling clothes, making burritoes, whatever), and get good at it. Once you have some experience dealing with that work environment, they will be more likely to bring you on at Disneyland. And who knows, you may like your job so much, you won't want to work at Disneyland.

LOL I doubt I coud love a place as much as I do Disneyland, but ya for now I'll get a job elsewhere and hopefully they let me come back

MinnieMomma
11-17-2006, 06:06 PM
I'd be interested in knowing if they will give you a decent reference to get another job. My son was "terminated" last Christmas from DCA by racking up his last points by getting in a car accident on the 91 frwy on the way to work and then having neck pain the next day. He got "extra" points for both calling in late from the freeway and then not showing up at all while we were getting the car with the cracked frame towed. Then when he called in sick the next day for the neck pain, he was told he should have called in about the car again because that would have been the same problem and he wouldn't have had his last point to be terminated. And they didn't tell him then that he was terminated, they waited until he had put a whole extra week of holiday work in and then surprised him on his last night there before heading back for college. Now they won't give him a good reference and the leads he knew are all gone. So he still hasn't been able to get a new job, not even at a theater or coffee place. I guess he should just stop putting the 8 months at DCA on the applications. Good Luck!!

ladydiamond
11-17-2006, 06:18 PM
I'd be interested in knowing if they will give you a decent reference to get another job. My son was "terminated" last Christmas from DCA by racking up his last points by getting in a car accident on the 91 frwy on the way to work and then having neck pain the next day. He got "extra" points for both calling in late from the freeway and then not showing up at all while we were getting the car with the cracked frame towed. Then when he called in sick the next day for the neck pain, he was told he should have called in about the car again because that would have been the same problem and he wouldn't have had his last point to be terminated. And they didn't tell him then that he was terminated, they waited until he had put a whole extra week of holiday work in and then surprised him on his last night there before heading back for college. Now they won't give him a good reference and the leads he knew are all gone. So he still hasn't been able to get a new job, not even at a theater or coffee place. I guess he should just stop putting the 8 months at DCA on the applications. Good Luck!!

I wont even _go_ as to why I was terminated but that is AWFUL! I'm so sorry that happened to him. He should deff stop putting it on his apps, I'm not putting DCA on MY applications when I apply for a new job, but I want to go back.

The lady said thwy would not put me in attractions right away (cause I messed up during my probation period) that I'd have to be placed in a different location, and then _maybe_ after I'd been there awhile I could go to attractions again.

I think its rather disapointing, how can one learn from their mistakes if they arent able to go back and fix the problems they have made?

ThemeParkAddictOfOC
11-17-2006, 07:49 PM
The lady said thwy would not put me in attractions right away (cause I messed up during my probation period) that I'd have to be placed in a different location, and then _maybe_ after I'd been there awhile I could go to attractions again.

I think its rather disapointing, how can one learn from their mistakes if they arent able to go back and fix the problems they have made?

With all due respect, I'd prefer that people don't learn on the job when guest safety is an issue.

ladydiamond
11-17-2006, 08:38 PM
With all due respect, I'd prefer that people don't learn on the job when guest safety is an issue.

I made no ride mistakes, my performance on the rides was not an issue, a guest was never once injured on any ride I opperated. Yes I had to hit the emergancy stop once because a guest was not conducting proper safety for the ride, but because of the few times I had to leave early (due to illness) I got fired, and because I got fired before my probation period ended, they wont put me back with the same management

HOWEVER, I absolutely agree with you where I would not want somebody opperating a ride that they knew nothing about.

Class Bravo
11-18-2006, 09:40 PM
It can be tough when there are hard-and-fast limits as to exactly how many sick/personal days are allowed. Some argue that it is unfair while others counter that if someone saves all their days for when they're truly needed then they won't be put into a position as to where they're walking a figurative tightrope between continued employment and dismissal.

When I was a working lead in attractions I got to see examples from both sides of the spectrum. Sometimes there were CMs who would abuse the system and use up their exact allotment of sick/personal time, often calling in on their Fridays and/or Mondays or the day after a big party, and then when they really got sick and had to take a day off management would terminate them for attendance points. Management wants the power to be able to get rid of these people, and that's why they have the point system.

On the flip side, however, anytime such a program is in place there will be some innocent people caught in the crossfire. I've seen more than one good CM with no prior attendance problems be terminated because he/she had to take a lot of time off for a funeral, wedding, or family emergency. Also, sometimes CMs would have to use personal days when they were scheduled against their availability and during their school hours (Disney would require that their workers be fully available both early and late into the summer, before and after some colleges' semesters had already started). Almost all of the personal days I took while there fell into that category.

ladydiamond
11-18-2006, 10:54 PM
It can be tough when there are hard-and-fast limits as to exactly how many sick/personal days are allowed. Some argue that it is unfair while others counter that if someone saves all their days for when they're truly needed then they won't be put into a position as to where they're walking a figurative tightrope between continued employment and dismissal.

When I was a working lead in attractions I got to see examples from both sides of the spectrum. Sometimes there were CMs who would abuse the system and use up their exact allotment of sick/personal time, often calling in on their Fridays and/or Mondays or the day after a big party, and then when they really got sick and had to take a day off management would terminate them for attendance points. Management wants the power to be able to get rid of these people, and that's why they have the point system.

On the flip side, however, anytime such a program is in place there will be some innocent people caught in the crossfire. I've seen more than one good CM with no prior attendance problems be terminated because he/she had to take a lot of time off for a funeral, wedding, or family emergency. Also, sometimes CMs would have to use personal days when they were scheduled against their availability and during their school hours (Disney would require that their workers be fully available both early and late into the summer, before and after some colleges' semesters had already started). Almost all of the personal days I took while there fell into that category.

Well as a lead you may know more about this then others. I think I have a restricted re-hire which means I wont get hired back straight onto attractions, is there a form I can fill out to have that lifted? I mean its been two years, I've learned and grew from my mistakes etc. Do you know of anything?

BTW where were you a lead at? =)

Class Bravo
11-19-2006, 11:18 AM
I was a lead in Fantasyland Attractions.

As far as the restricted re-hire status goes, that wasn't something that I normally dealt with as a working lead (that is a management issue) so I'm not going to try to speculate about what your options are.

However, if you truly want to get back into attractions, I think the best thing to do would be to get a job somewhere for six months, as the DLR Recruiter told you. When you can get hired back at the DLR, take a job in a department other than attractions, do the best job you can, and discuss your long-term goals with management. They would be able to tell you whether or not a transfer to attractions would ever be possible.

ladydiamond
11-19-2006, 12:23 PM
I was a lead in Fantasyland Attractions.

As far as the restricted re-hire status goes, that wasn't something that I normally dealt with as a working lead (that is a management issue) so I'm not going to try to speculate about what your options are.

However, if you truly want to get back into attractions, I think the best thing to do would be to get a job somewhere for six months, as the DLR Recruiter told you. When you can get hired back at the DLR, take a job in a department other than attractions, do the best job you can, and discuss your long-term goals with management. They would be able to tell you whether or not a transfer to attractions would ever be possible.

Mmmmmm Fantasyland Attractions are love

Ulysses
11-20-2006, 11:19 PM

I'm sorry for your son's bad experiences. In real life I'm a college dean, and on weekends I'm a Disneyland CM. In the former context, I read an article titled "The Fragile Generation." It was about how the 18-24-year-olds of today collapse at the first obstacle they face and can't stand being held accountable for things such as, all the many obstacles that may get in the way of getting to work. They even have their parents come in on their job interviews.

A car accident is unforseeable; unfortunately, Disneyland doesn't give a rat's a**. Calling in the next day appropriately is the CM's responsibility, not his mom's.

Having so many points that the next bit of bad luck will get you fired is, well, a reflection on your maturity and sense of responsibility. Good luck to your son on finding a career field that will not demand his parents' advocacy.

Sorry to sound so harsh, but this is my daily reality.

chrisaustx
11-21-2006, 12:35 AM
I was at the Food 4 Less on Katella tonight around 12am, this is the location down the street from Disneyland. A cast member came in dressed in his foods dept. costume. I saw him stash all kinds of food under his Disneyland employee jacket, then walk out the door and jump on his bicycle and ride it back in the direction of Disneyland. I didn't inform anyone at the store of this theft, because I know for many Disneyland cast members, surviving on $8.25 an hour is not realistic, maybe for this cast member, the stolen food was the only thing he would have to eat, even though he works in the foods dept. So going back to Disneyland and having to deal with the outrageously low wages might not be the best of ideas.

ThemeParkAddictOfOC
11-21-2006, 08:39 AM
I was at the Food 4 Less on Katella tonight around 12am, this is the location down the street from Disneyland. A cast member came in dressed in his foods dept. costume. I saw him stash all kinds of food under his Disneyland employee jacket, then walk out the door and jump on his bicycle and ride it back in the direction of Disneyland. I didn't inform anyone at the store of this theft, because I know for many Disneyland cast members, surviving on $8.25 an hour is not realistic, maybe for this cast member, the stolen food was the only thing he would have to eat, even though he works in the foods dept. So going back to Disneyland and having to deal with the outrageously low wages might not be the best of ideas.

Well, that is a very interesting view of morality...

magicpointeshoe
11-21-2006, 08:44 AM
Calling in the next day appropriately is the CM's responsibility, not his mom's.
Where did she state she called in for him?

kikid
11-21-2006, 09:39 AM
Well, that is a very interesting view of morality...
Morality? hmmm?

Lani
11-21-2006, 10:26 AM
I'd be interested in knowing if they will give you a decent reference to get another job.At many companies, there are policies about not divulging any information about job performance to a person's prospective employer. This is to prevent people from suing ("I didn't get the job because you said mean things about me!").

I don't know if Disney has such a policy, but when your son applies for jobs, make sure he lists Disneyland as a former place of employment. In the section on the form for "reason for leaving," he can very briefly explain that he had an inability to work due to car accident. He shouldn't sound sour or angry at Disney (their attendance system is really flawed, in my opinion, and this has been written about in MousePlanet park updates and articles), but dissing a former employer is generally frowned upon (that is, if I make snide comments about Disneyland what's to keep me from doing the same with the company I am applying for?).

Katlovett
11-21-2006, 12:27 PM
For those of you who were terminated because of Disneyland's refusal to reasonably accomodate their physical disability (aka inability to work due to condition causing pain or medical treatment thereof), have any of you considered consulting employment attorneys? Unfortunately I am located up in northern California but it sure sounds like there is a significant failure to accomodate going on. I don't know whether the management is deliberately malicious; it may be that Disney's human resources department would have accomodated the disability if they had known, but that the employees involved were not informed of the need to request accomodation or how to request accomodation.

All cases are different, but last year I helped a secretary settle her failure to accomodate case for $60,000, where she had psychiatric issues requiring counseling and her employer terminated her after 1) refusing to give her additional medical leave and 2) refusing to let her either leave early from work or come in late so that she could attend counseling appointments. Physical disability following a motor vehicle accident would have been even more valuable, since settlement depends on what a likely jury verdict would be, and juries tend to dislike the concept of psychiatric disability.

I hope anyone who has been terminated for having sustained an injury or disability, who is unfairly being given a bad reference, will consider contacting an attorney (look in the Yellow Pages under "Attorneys - Employment Law") or a governmental advocate for advice and assistance. Sometimes a letter stating the facts, the law, and a request for appropriate remedial action is all that is necessary to make things right.

Katprint

P.S. Please don't flame me with how terrible attorneys are because they just want to sue everyone and no one is safe etc. etc. etc. I have heard it all already. Every company hates having to pay money to the injured party, and they particularly hate the attorney because the injured party would have received NOTHING without the attorney. So it is the attorney's fault, not the fault of the wrongdoer who caused the problem. Whatever.

Rednoyz
11-21-2006, 12:30 PM
Hello -

The others are correct. One would just want to go get a job elsewhere for at least 6 mos and then reapply at D-land at a later point in time. You need to have a way to show that you can hold down a job.

As for someone saying something detrimental about your employment, it's not done (I believe it might be a state law, but unable to cite ref).

The DLR policy is simple employment verification. One calls a number and the information of "Yes, John Smith worked here from Feb 03 through June 03" is given. No more than that.

Best wishes,
Mo

Bolivar
11-21-2006, 12:32 PM
Most companies will not allow anyone in the company to talk about a past employee to a prospective employer because of the fear of law suites. Of course telling the truth is legal and protects you, but it doesn't protect you from being sued and having to defend yourself, so it is just easier to not say anything. Managers are not supposed to even talk to prospective employers and say anything, but these policies are routinely broken as managers and coworkers provide references to people they like. Everyone looks the other way to these positive comments.

Most companies' HR departments will answer one question about a previous employee: "Would you hire this person again?" They will say yes or no to that. It is a factual comment that they can't be sued over. I'm sure that is what is being said that your son having a difficult time overcoming.

Class Bravo
11-21-2006, 05:33 PM

I'm going to have to disagree with this. I worked at the DLR for almost five years while I had another full-time job and was attending school full-time. It's true that the pay for operations (i.e. On-Stage) CMs at DLR is low but that is not justification of theft from anywhere. Many people I worked with had a lot of financial troubles but they didn't resort to stealing from another establishment. Additionally, some people make even less than CMs at the DLR (I don't live in CA anymore but I'm pretty sure that $8.25 an hour, while low, is not the minimum wage) and they do not resort to theft to make ends meet.

After working at the DLR for five years I am calloused and disenchanted toward Disney, but I have to draw the line at blaming them third-party for someone else's poor choices and actions.

potzbie
11-21-2006, 05:42 PM
[...] but it sure sounds like there is a significant failure to accomodate going on.

If someone cannot put in the necessary hours, how is it the employer's fault?

If someone cannot meet the shift hours, how is it the employer's fault?

Why can't the employer sue the employee for fraud or for breach of contract (i.e., employee did not live up to agreement per employment criteria)?

Why is there no "accomodation" on the employee's part?

Bolivar
11-21-2006, 06:20 PM
What?

You actually think that an employee who is in a car wreck and stuck on the freeway dealing with the aftermath of that wreck should not only be fired for not showing up at work, but should also be sued and held accountable for some amount of money for "breach of contract"?

Dexter
11-21-2006, 06:32 PM
What?

You actually think that an employee who is in a car wreck and stuck on the freeway dealing with the aftermath of that wreck should not only be fired for not showing up at work, but should also be sued and held accountable for some amount of money for "breach of contract"?

I'm almost 100% confident that potzbie was referring to the post by katlovett regarding employees that were dismissed because they have a disabliity, not because of the kid that had the car accident and used up all his points.

ladydiamond
11-21-2006, 06:41 PM
thank you to everyone for all the advice given so far, its been most helpful.