PDA

View Full Version : What's fun in the DCA besides Soarin' and alcohol?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Eigenbreakfast
11-15-2006, 05:53 PM
My wife and I were in the DLR for the first time in decades last October, and hit the DCA. We found the experience, well, un-magical (then again we had Grandpa the all-knowing constantly explaining how un-magical the place was and dragging us down)

We hit the Soarin' ride, the Twilight Zone thing and the paradise Pier. Downed some wine at a terrace thing and rode California screamin' and "Mullholland Madness" (What the..:confused: . If I wanted the Santa Cruz boardwalk, I'd be in Santa Cruz)

I've seen other sites describe how they're trying to "draw" people into the DCA and I'm wondering....

What's your must do in the DCA suggestion? Upcoming trip may see us dash in for an "Aladdin" viewing and a stiff drink, but what will we miss?

jenpace
11-15-2006, 06:00 PM
(What the..:confused: . If I wanted the Santa Cruz boardwalk, I'd be in Santa Cruz)

OMG! That cracked me up! I live in Santa Cruz and have all my life. I refuse to go to the Beach Boardwalk. Yes, Paradise Pier is similar to the Boardwalk but it's very clean. A HUGE distinction in this case.

Prince_lv
11-15-2006, 06:49 PM
Well it isn't the Magic Kingdom. You hit all the hot spots at DCA right now. I think there trying to figure out how to draw more people into the park. When we visit the resort, we occasionally visit DCA to visit Soarin and catch a show at the Aladdin other than that we spend most of our time at the Magical Kingdom.

DangerMouse
11-15-2006, 07:26 PM
Upcoming trip may see us dash in for an "Aladdin" viewing and a stiff drink, but what will we miss?

Nuthin. Go ahead and leave the park empty. That's how my family likes it. :)

DangerMouse
11-15-2006, 07:32 PM
Ok, now I see from another thread that you have a two year old with you for this visit. He would probably really enjoy Bugs' Land and especially Heimlich's Choo Choo. Very short ride, but cute nonetheless. He won't be able to experience much on the Pier because of height restrictions, except for the Zephyr. But he would probably enjoy Monsters, Inc., Turtle Talk and Playhouse Disney, all located on the Hollywood Backlot.

HTH. :)

Gone2Disneyland
11-15-2006, 07:34 PM
I'm not a fan of DCA, but it's growing on me. On those days I actually go into DCA, I look forward to:

Soarin' Over California
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
Aladdin
California Screamin'
MuppetVision 3D
Grizzly River Run
it's tough to be a bug
Award Weiners
Burrbank Ice Cream

Eigenbreakfast
11-15-2006, 07:38 PM
Ok, now I see from another thread that you have a two year old with you for this visit. He would probably really enjoy Bugs' Land and especially Heimlich's Choo Choo. Very short ride, but cute nonetheless. He won't be able to experience much on the Pier because of height restrictions, except for the Zephyr. But he would probably enjoy Monsters, Inc., Turtle Talk and Playhouse Disney, all located on the Hollywood Backlot.

HTH. :)

Great! Since we're staying at the Grand California Hotel we'll probably swing through every day and see what the boy likes. It's his trip, anyway.

Rkkm
11-15-2006, 08:36 PM
The 3-D Bug Theater experience is awesome! Just screams the pants offa me every time when they "let loose" the critters!

The ferris wheel is great .. especially when you go off to the side to get in the cars that do not rock and roll. You can really see "the world" from its top.

The Camp is so much fun for kids! All the physical activities are a nice break from the stand-in-line/sit-in-a-ride attractions. Even when I don't have a kidlet with me, I go there to do all the rope and climbing stuff .. and to visit my "animal spirit" in that cave.

So far, though, I have not found a good hang-out place at DCA .. other than the bar in Ariel's. Which is so much like any other SoCal bar that it is not much fun. But, it is very relaxing to sit there, over the water, with a gigantic margarita at my elbow. But, still, I would like to have some cool little spots like angel courtyard in NO Square or the river overlook at Bear Country.

I still have not gotten over the thrill of watching the Electrical Parade while drinking wine on the vineyard's terrace. We always get the last PS of the evening on a Sunday, then watch the parade as we finish our wine and dessert. We always invite people standing near us to join our table and have met some very cool folks that way. A loverly way to end the weekend.

But, all told, nothing beats the Magic Kingdom.

hbquikcomjamesl
11-16-2006, 06:13 AM
I would say that if you did Mulholland Mistake, you got exactly what you deserved.

While the Mission Tortilla Factory exhibit has come a long way from its embarrassing origins (that the Mexican Government should have deemed an Act of War), it's still not as well done as the Boudin exhibit across the walkway.

While there's a very vocal contingent who passionately hates Golden Dreams, I've always liked it, unfulfilled potential and all.

disneyochem
11-16-2006, 06:28 AM
I think DCA is great for small children. I do have some recommendations for you:

Disney Animation Studio (in particular Turtle's Crush)
Monster's Inc
Flik Flyers
Hemlich's Choo Choo Train
Jumping Jellyfish
King Triton's Carousel
Redwood Creek Challenge
Waterfun areas (if is it warm)

I would avoid the 3-D shows (especially Bug's Life). They would be pretty intense for small children. My kids did not like them. Take advantage of all the little shows in DCA as well--The Ugly Bug Ball, Block Party Bash.

I like DCA for small kids because of the lack of crowds. More room to roam and play. While at DCA, leave the park, eat at WWS in GCH and then reenter.

DangerMouse
11-16-2006, 07:23 AM
Jumpin Jellyfish has a very high height restriction though, 40". I don't think most 2 year olds measure up.

I agree with avoiding Bug's Life 3-D. All my kids are terrified of it and they are much older. Perhaps if your 2 year old just sat on your lap with the 3-D glasses off, he might be alright and you could enjoy the creepy show. :)

Clotho
11-16-2006, 04:56 PM
I love love love the Animation Academy--did it four times in one day back when it was just in soft openings. And Turtle Talk is a hoot for kids and adults alike.

We always do Soarin' multiple times, and we enjoyed the Aladdin show very much. And of course we like Screamin', but that may not be for you with little kids in tow.

We still haven't seen Golden Dreams, though we have had it recommended to us many times. I imagine kids would really enjoy the Brother Bear trail thing. Interactive climbing and running around, and storytellers.

Opus1guy
11-16-2006, 10:51 PM
What's fun in the DCA besides Soarin' and alcohol?

Well...there's always alcohol and then Soarin'.

;)

IdahoMike
11-17-2006, 07:31 AM
We always have lots of fun in DCA, it just doesn't capture your attention quite as long as Disneyland, but it is still a ton of fun for my family!
Here are a lot of things we enjoy, in no particular order. I have kids age 6,4, and 1.
1.) Soarin'
2.) Grizzly
3.) Turtle Talk With Crush (did it 3 times last time we went, got to talk to him, and Dory came out the 3rd time)
4.) Tower of Terror
5.) Muppet Vision
6.) Monsters Inc.
7.) Character Meet & Greet on the Hollywood Backlot
8.) Aladdin Show (awesome!)
9.) Screamin' (me only)
10.) It's Tough to Be a Bug
11.) Redwood Creek Challenge Trail (discovered this last time, the kids had a ball!)
12.) Sun Wheel (non-moving cages)

OCCOBRA
11-17-2006, 09:06 AM
If you like to walk forever then DCA is for you. The bar in Ariel's is closed during the week in the off season which is just stupid. I still go for Soaring and Screaming but the row off crappy attractions past it just makes me shake my head why they thought that would interest anyone. I can't wait for the Pixar attraction to open next to Screaming. Monsters is cute but not worth the walk after a couple of times and I gave up on the Tower. Too long of a wait for such a short ride that is annoying.

snappy
11-17-2006, 09:54 AM
1. Usually pretty empty. 99.9% of the time
2. TOT
3. Screaming! Single Rider line!
4. Mull-Madness! (wish my car cornered like that)
5. Aladin! Great show! Especially on those hot days!
6. Soarin over CA
7. Free samples of sour dough and tortillas!
8. Grizzly Rapids. (On hot days) Single rider again!
9. Playing in the water farming stuff. (not sure the name of attraction)
10. Easy access to StoryTeller Cafe at GCH! Tasty food!

The old man
11-17-2006, 10:17 AM
Oh good. Another what's wrong with DCA thread.

Andrew
11-17-2006, 10:53 AM
You said
Oh good. Another what's wrong with DCA thread. right after a post titled
What's Great about DCA Do you read the threads you're replying to?

adriennek
11-17-2006, 12:11 PM
The 3-D Bug Theater experience is awesome! Just screams the pants offa me every time when they "let loose" the critters!

NOT for 2-year-olds.

I strongly discourage parents of young children to drag them onto this attraction. Giant spiders drop from the ceiling, a "poisonous" bug sprays you and a wasp stings you in the back.

Blech. Children frequently end up upset and being taken out of this attraction early. It's really not a kid-friendly attraction.

Adrienne

frank828
11-17-2006, 12:13 PM
i'm sure you've seen it, considering its the tallest thing there, so i'm thinking your not fan of that much "thrill" but once u get the nerve, maliboomer is super fun. When i go, there is rarely a long line and also there is a single rider line. i typically ride it about 3 times back to back.

Nancy
11-17-2006, 12:38 PM
I'm not a fan of DCA, but it's growing on me. On those days I actually go into DCA, I look forward to:

Soarin' Over California
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
Aladdin
California Screamin'
MuppetVision 3D
Grizzly River Run
it's tough to be a bug
Award Weiners
Burrbank Ice Cream

I so agree!!!

As long as you understand going the front gates that it is NOT DISNEYLAND then you can have fun with out the magic of Disneyland. It took me a year to get in the front gates. Now we plan a day there. (or at least several hours!!)

tunaman68
11-17-2006, 01:48 PM
Glad someone said Maliboomer! I dig that ride!

Our kids (now 9 and 12) have grown up going to both parks. You can't compare the two, they're just different. Our kids and the parks!! :)

It's like people who don't like Animal Kingdom at WDW. If what you want is non stop thrills, you'll be done very quickly! If you have time to walk around and see little stuff, it can be a nice change from the usual chaos that comes with a day at DL!

Our kids love to spend time getting soaked in the play areas in bug's land. In redwood country, they like to climb all the rope ladders and ride the zip line. My son would spend an hour doing just the tire zip line when he was younger. My wife and I would just get a drink, and chill while the kids had fun - sure not as thrilling for the adults, but it's nice to not be so park commando all the time either!

As a parent, it's one of those rare occasions I can spend time with my wife in a beautiful setting while our kids are busy having a blast!!

Think of it this way - most two year olds I've met would rather play in a puddle of water with a stick than ride "Small World"!! :)

Sounds like that's what you have in mind in saying "It's his trip!" Good for you!!

Have Fun!

kikid
11-17-2006, 02:16 PM
Glad someone said Maliboomer! I dig that ride!

Our kids (now 9 and 12) have grown up going to both parks. You can't compare the two, they're just different. Our kids and the parks!! :)

It's like people who don't like Animal Kingdom at WDW. If what you want is non stop thrills, you'll be done very quickly! If you have time to walk around and see little stuff, it can be a nice change from the usual chaos that comes with a day at DL!

Our kids love to spend time getting soaked in the play areas in bug's land. In redwood country, they like to climb all the rope ladders and ride the zip line. My son would spend an hour doing just the tire zip line when he was younger. My wife and I would just get a drink, and chill while the kids had fun - sure not as thrilling for the adults, but it's nice to not be so park commando all the time either!

As a parent, it's one of those rare occasions I can spend time with my wife in a beautiful setting while our kids are busy having a blast!!

Think of it this way - most two year olds I've met would rather play in a puddle of water with a stick than ride "Small World"!! :)

Sounds like that's what you have in mind in saying "It's his trip!" Good for you!!

Have Fun!
ok, off subject, but have to ask. tunaman68...from the boat that sold tuna sandwiches in Fantasyland oh so many years ago???

tunaman68
11-17-2006, 02:40 PM
No actually! It's just a strange nickname from my time working for Princess Cruises!

My wife has been going to Disneyland since '63, and has described in great detail the 'Tuna Boat'. By the time I began to visit in the early 70's, it was already gone! :crying:

ladydiamond
11-17-2006, 03:23 PM
Flicks Fun Fair? Ya not so fun. Nothing is really fun in DCA IMHO, the Aladdin show is great and the animation studio for sure, Soarin is the only decent ride there, personally I think its a waste of money and space =(