PDA

View Full Version : "Minority" job fair?

Lani
11-14-2006, 01:43 PM
Talk radio station KFI is running a Disneyland job fair commercial. It starts with a "CM" named "Silvia" who talks about the magic she felt the first day on her job.

What's interesting is that this ad seems to me to be a thinly veiled effort to recruit minorities. They say Disney is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer, and they are looking "for people like you" -- with the tag line, "Drawing Creativity Through Diversity."

The amusing part about this is that this is airing on KFI. Hahahaha. I'm sure they just buy ad blocks and they didn't specify which stations they didn't want it aired on, but still...:rolleyes:

cstephens
11-14-2006, 03:35 PM
I heard the same radio ad on another local L.A. music station. At least they used someone with an understandable accent. It puzzles me to no end why Disney assigns people to a position where they have to be on microphone (like at the back of the tram), and the person has an accent so thick that you can't even understand them.

As far as the "diversity" thing, it's a push that a lot of companies have. "Diversity" pretty much means "we're looking to hire or at least interview non-white males". Disney isn't alone in that regard.

missmonkey
11-14-2006, 09:28 PM
When listening to announcements, I find the biggest problem is with plain old mumbling, not with accents. Many of them sound like Charlie Brown's teacher.

With all of the trouble that DLR has in holding on to CMs, I'm not surprised that they're trying to reach out to a new pool of applicants. I am very surprised that they are doing it in such a misguided way. These ads are just a rehash of similar ads run by Alaska Airlines. I think they're insulting to the people to whom they're trying to reach.

Presumably, you'd want people who speak clearly, regardless of ethnicity, for service jobs with public contact. If DLR is indeed trying to reach out to the Latino job pool, just run an ad in standard English on stations targeted to Latinos. We'll get the idea. Or is the idea that we won't understand unless you speak some sort of jive to us? :rolleyes:

Heh, that reminds me of "Airplane".

cstephens
11-14-2006, 11:28 PM
When listening to announcements, I find the biggest problem is with plain old mumbling, not with accents. Many of them sound like Charlie Brown's teacher.

I agree, I hate that too. If you're going to have to talk into a microphone, then someone needs to teach them how to do so and how to enunciate.

These ads are just a rehash of similar ads run by Alaska Airlines. I think they're insulting to the people to whom they're trying to reach.

The Disneyland ads bother me, but I actually found the Alaska Airlines ads (I was going to mention them earlier but couldn't remember which company the ads were for) to be offensive, and I don't offend easily.

TikiGeek
11-15-2006, 06:11 AM
Disney pays resort employees such a low wage and treats them so poorly - I think they should just give up and hire illegal immigrants. If TDA's behavior continues, that will be their only pool to fish from.

It would also be away around Cali's new minimum wage law. :rolleyes:

kikid
11-15-2006, 07:29 AM
Talk radio station KFI is running a Disneyland job fair commercial. It starts with a "CM" named "Silvia" who talks about the magic she felt the first day on her job.

What's interesting is that this ad seems to me to be a thinly veiled effort to recruit minorities. They say Disney is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer, and they are looking "for people like you" -- with the tag line, "Drawing Creativity Through Diversity."

The amusing part about this is that this is airing on KFI. Hahahaha. I'm sure they just buy ad blocks and they didn't specify which stations they didn't want it aired on, but still...:rolleyes:
Bill Handel will have fun with this one!;)

kikid
11-15-2006, 07:38 AM
When listening to announcements, I find the biggest problem is with plain old mumbling, not with accents.
Many of them sound like Charlie Brown's teacher.

...or my 15 year old son!;)

pisces
11-15-2006, 07:57 AM
White males, whites (non-hispanic) are a minority in California.

MouseWife
11-15-2006, 08:19 AM
Along the accent comment:

I saw a show on t.v., maybe Dateline, where it showed the people who take the calls from here. Darn it, I forget what it is called but calls we make here are sent to India. It was showing how it is changing their way of living, making money. Americanizing them? They spoke perfect English. I want to know, why haven't any of these people been the ones I've had to deal with?

And, I am not against anyone having a job but I am against going someplace and not receiving proper care/service because of a communication issue or lack of understanding of how things are supposed to be done because if they aren't fluent in English, then maybe they can't read the manuals on rules and regulations?

If it is not accepted, it will encourage people to learn to speak and read English better. It can be done, and I am so impressed by people who have. {I wouldn't take a job in another country and not know their language} To not expect more is insulting and doesn't push people to do better. And, it is insulting to me, when my prices keep going up but will I be able to ask anyone a question when I need to?

I think having bilingual staff on hand is a must, though. Disneyland has guests from all over.

Lani
11-15-2006, 09:26 AM
I saw a show on t.v., maybe Dateline, where it showed the people who take the calls from here. Darn it, I forget what it is called but calls we make here are sent to India. It was showing how it is changing their way of living, making money. Americanizing them? They spoke perfect English. I want to know, why haven't any of these people been the ones I've had to deal with?Well, what you're talking about is the outsourcing of call center jobs to foreign countries. That has happened a lot in recent years, although depending on which countries companies use, they've discovered customer satisfaction dropping a lot. I think it was HP, maybe, that actually reverted its decision and closed its overseas call center after so many complaints.

By the way, people in India speak English. Don't forget they used to be a British colony all the way up to and after WWII. It was the peaceful revolt by Mahatma Gandhi that freed the people of India from the UK.

The English language has associate status there but it is the official language of the government. Most educated Indians speak very good English.

As for all the high-tech dollars flowing into India, there is definitely a new breed of yuppies there. They are more modernized than others in the country, and many of them have more Westernized views. Things like premarital sex are still talked in hushed tones over there, since arranged marriages are still very common.

MouseWife
11-15-2006, 11:01 AM
Well, what you're talking about is the outsourcing of call center jobs to foreign countries. That has happened a lot in recent years, although depending on which countries companies use, they've discovered customer satisfaction dropping a lot. I think it was HP, maybe, that actually reverted its decision and closed its overseas call center after so many complaints.

By the way, people in India speak English. Don't forget they used to be a British colony all the way up to and after WWII. It was the peaceful revolt by Mahatma Gandhi that freed the people of India from the UK.

Outsourcing, thank you. :)

And, I guess I should have said the people on the show spoke almost perfectly clear English. As opposed to most of the people I have gotten on the phone.

As with any accent, if too thick, you can't understand it. And, if they are using the wrong words that adds to the confusion and if they don't understand the words you use, it can lead to a headache.

And yes, the young people on the show were dealing with lashback with becoming more modern. Working in close proximity to the other sex and this couple was living together, I believe. It was quite interesting.