PDA

View Full Version : How would YOU improve Haunted Mansion Holiday?

Pages : [1] 2

Gemini Cricket
05-21-2002, 12:42 PM
It's early, yes, but now that we know Haunted Mansion Holiday is coming back. Click here for the thread. (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6267) How would you improve the attraction?

What would you add or subtract to make the experience better?
:)

Uncle Dick
05-21-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
What would you add or subtract to make the experience better?
:)
Better lighting in preshow areas to prevent people from stumbling around. Removal of cheesy giant Jack head from ceiling of stretching room. Better lighting in graveyard scene to make the ceiling and walls less apparent. Replacement of static "snow angels" with animatronics of some kind. Animatronic Lock, Stock and Barrel. More variety and detail in mirrored gifts.

Gemini Cricket
05-21-2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick

Better lighting in preshow areas to prevent people from stumbling around. Removal of cheesy giant Jack head from ceiling of stretching room. Better lighting in graveyard scene to make the ceiling and walls less apparent. Replacement of static "snow angels" with animatronics of some kind. Animatronic Lock, Stock and Barrel. More variety and detail in mirrored gifts.
Agreed. Cheesy Jack head was too big. The could just have Jack swinging like Tarzan from a string of Xmas lights from the ceiling or something.
I'd like to see a gigantic Oogie Boogie sitting on the roof as your doom buggy backs down the tree lined path to the graveyard. I think that's probably the only place he'd fit... It would be neat to see a truly gigantic AA figure as you back down the hill...
Elfman music might be nice too. Although, I really liked the spooky Carol of the Bells.
I hope the library comes back.

Allysen1Derland
05-21-2002, 01:06 PM
Ooh! Cool question, Gemini Cricket!! That's why I had to respond right away! I love the Holiday Mansion, in fact I wish it would stay that way all year long! The Mansion has always been my very favorite, but I was blown away by the Holiday refurb- I was like a little kid running back into the line to ride over and over again. However, I wish it had more Sally. I love the little "leota" Sally @ the very end, but still, more Sally!

Ghoulish Delight
05-21-2002, 01:10 PM
I disagree about the Jack head. I liked it. Truly unexpected and bizarre, put me off balance. I also like the darker preshow area. I've always preferred it when you couldn't see in front of you.

It definitely needs Elfman's score. And something better needs to be done with Leota (decapitated Leota, not mini-Leota). A few spinning cards just doesn't cut it, so to speak.

Gemini Cricket
05-21-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Allysen1Derland
Ooh! Cool question, Gemini Cricket!! That's why I had to respond right away!
I was curious when I read the other thread. Then I didn't want to derail it, so I figured I should start a new one to discuss it. :)

Originally posted by Allysen1Derland
I love the Holiday Mansion, in fact I wish it would stay that way all year long! The Mansion has always been my very favorite, but I was blown away by the Holiday refurb- I was like a little kid running back into the line to ride over and over again. However, I wish it had more Sally. I love the little "leota" Sally @ the very end, but still, more Sally!
Sally was lacking. They could have had her sitting on one of those empty chairs by the endless hall... Or standing by the clock. That would be kind of neat- her hiding from the man-eating Xmas wreath. :D

ps- love your user name! thumbs up. :)

Gemini Cricket
05-21-2002, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
I disagree about the Jack head. I liked it. Truly unexpected and bizarre, put me off balance.
It was unexpected and bizarre but I thought it was out of scale. Jack and everyone else was in scale except for the stretching gallery. Even small Sally was in scale as small Leota. :)

That's another thing they should fix... The wire moving Jack's sled across the moon. I don't think guests should see it next time. :D

MickeyD
05-21-2002, 01:29 PM
ELFMAN! ELFMAN! ELFMAN!

(Ok, I'm done shouting now. My co-workers are looking at me oddly.)

SzczerbiakManiac
05-21-2002, 01:35 PM
I didn't mind the big Jack head in the ceiling, but I like Gemini Cricket's idea of having Jack swing on a string of Xmas lights even better.

Similarly, I thought the snow-angels were really cool looking, but an AA would be cool too. (Uncle Dick's concept)

I'd also like to see more variety in the gifts. The same bat, snake, and skull got a little old after a while.

While technically part of the ride (but I'd argue it's part of the "attraction", in the broad sense of the word), I sure hope they release the HMH music (be it Elfman's, last year's, or better still--both!) on CD.

Ghoulish Delight
05-21-2002, 01:36 PM

It was unexpected and bizarre but I thought it was out of scale. Jack and everyone else was in scale except for the stretching gallery. Even small Sally was in scale as small Leota. :)
Oh, but I thought that little bit of "up-scaling" here and there really added to the grandeur of the whole thing. Like the snow angels in the graveyard. Those were tremendous and really made the scene very dramatic. Had everything been horribly out of proportion like that, I'd agree with you. But one or two elements here and there, just to give you a new perspective, works for me.

lisap
05-21-2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by MickeyD
ELFMAN! ELFMAN! ELFMAN!

(Ok, I'm done shouting now. My co-workers are looking at me oddly.)

What she said. :D Pleeeeaaaase, let me hear his beautiful voice just once in the Haunted Mansion this season. Please.

please.

Gemini Cricket
05-21-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by SzczerbiakManiac
I'd also like to see more variety in the gifts. The same bat, snake, and skull got a little old after a while.
I just thought of something. Why didn't anyone actually sell those demented toys at one of the DL gift shops? Wouldn't that have been a great idea? It's a great marketing idea. They could come up with a batch of twisted toys to sell AND feature on the ride.

Ghoulish D - :)

Mickey D, lisap - I agree, but if they can't get the rights to do it, they should spookify more Xmas songs. It's really chilling to hear something sweet played eerily.

ps- Mickey D, lisa p, Ghoulish D- sounds like members of some hip hop trio. :D:D:D

Ghoulish Delight
05-21-2002, 01:58 PM

I just thought of something. Why didn't anyone actually sell those demented toys at one of the DL gift shops? Wouldn't that have been a great idea? It's a great marketing idea. They could come up with a batch of twisted toys to sell AND feature on the ride.

Ghoulish D - :)

Mickey D, lisap - I agree, but if they can't get the rights to do it, they should spookify more Xmas songs. It's really chilling to hear something sweet played eerily.

ps- Mickey D, lisa p, Ghoulish D- sounds like members of some hip hop trio. :D:D:D I was disappointed in the merchandise last year. Very derivative, not much variety. They put as little effort as they could into it. I agree, they should sell some of those toys (perhaps not with sharp teeth, but they could figure something out). Actually, I'm just bitter because what I REALLY wanted was one of the skulls!! I'd kill for one of those. I'm sure some of you remember my avatar.

As for the Elfman music, they could very easily get the rights. They simply aren't willing to pay for it. Elfman and Burton were perfectly happy with that happening last year, and would gladly have let Disney use the music. But Disney wouldn't pay. That's why they both backed out of appearing at the debut. They were p.o.'d that Disney wouldn't just give them a few bucks and use the music.

lisap
05-21-2002, 02:12 PM
But Disney wouldn't pay. That's why they both backed out of appearing at the debut. They were p.o.'d that Disney wouldn't just give them a few bucks and use the music.

I heard it was because two annual passholders weren't renewing, and that cut into their music rights budget....

please don't hurt me

Anyway,
ELFMAN! ELFMAN! ELFMAN!

Gemini Cricket
05-21-2002, 02:14 PM
Actually, I'm just bitter because what I REALLY wanted was one of the skulls!! I'd kill for one of those. I'm sure some of you remember my avatar.
Which skulls? I'm spacing on your avatar. :confused:

downingfamily1
05-21-2002, 02:18 PM
I loved HMH!!! I was sure going in that I would hate that they changed it even temporarily, but I thought it was great. I liked the giant Jack head and the music. I also thought that they missed the boat on the merchandising opportunities.
-Julie

Ghoulish Delight
05-21-2002, 02:20 PM
http://nerddotcom.com/hmh/skulls-montage.jpg

Courtesy Mr. Lop (who I haven't seen post in quite a while)
I like the one that's bigger in in this picture (the one without the crossbones). I would LOVE to have one of those.

Gemini Cricket
05-21-2002, 02:22 PM
Doy! (slapping my own head)
Now I remember. Yes, that's very cool.:)
Great picture.

Now I have "Carol of the Bells" in my head w/ all this HMH discussion.

zapppop
05-21-2002, 02:58 PM
I enjoyed HMH the way it was.
My only thought was they should've added some music from the movie ( Nightmare Before Christmas ) however, a few weeks ago, a cast member told me they're doing that this year, so I guess I can't really complain.

Ghoulish Delight
05-21-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
I enjoyed HMH the way it was.
My only thought was they should've added some music from the movie ( Nightmare Before Christmas ) however, a few weeks ago, a cast member told me they're doing that this year, so I guess I can't really complain. Yay!! I am currently doing the happy dance. :D I guess they finally opened their pocket books and cut a deal with Elfman. That alone will be a HUGE bonus this year.

WickedQueen
05-21-2002, 03:35 PM
Can I add my voice to the Elfman choir? I loved HMH, but the music was sorely lacking. "Making Christmas" should have been playing throughout, or at least some other soundtrack music.

Other than fixing the music, and greatly improving the merchandise (boy, did Disney miss the ball with this AGAIN, or what?) I would love to see them improve the Lock, Shock and Barrell/Hitchhiking Ghosts blacklit thing. That and the load area look like refugees from the dark rides in Fantasyland, and didn't really fit in with the quality of the rest of the ride. Did I hear someone suggest Lock, Shock and Barrell animatronics? Yeah baby!

Gemini Cricket
05-21-2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by WickedQueen
That and the load area look like refugees from the dark rides in Fantasyland, and didn't really fit in with the quality of the rest of the ride.
It was more like the Gummy Glen cardboard cutouts in the Motor Boat Cruise they had in the late eighties...
That area could be improved. :)

tink360
05-21-2002, 10:22 PM
It would be an improvement for me if I could even *go* to see HMH - have never seen it! :crying:

blusilva
05-21-2002, 11:18 PM
Add me to the ELFMAN chorus.

I'd also like to see a few more of the other characters from the movie - The Werewolf, the Vampires, the Zombie, the Witches....that movie is SO populated with cool characters that perhaps could have been used in the ballroom and graveyard scene. I realize that it probably would be very expensive to replace all regular happy haunts, but it would have been much more Nightmarish.

And, can't we have SOME Oogie Boogie? I really wish they'd turned Madam Leota's seance into an Oogie Boogie room!

Just daydreaming about Nightmare.

Pony Sugrue
05-22-2002, 08:55 AM
Even though I don't think Marc Davis' art style and Tim Burton's art style really mesh too well, they really did a grand job of overlaying the HM last year. I know one thing though, if I attended the attraction with the thought that it was a permanent change, I would have been too heart-broken over the loss of the old Mansion to enjoy the new one.

My biggest dilemma, however, is that I always loved to go to The Haunted Mansion, in its original form, around Halloween. Now from a good chunk of September... all the way until January, it won't be available in its 1960's Marc Davis glory. I almost wish they would make another dark ride that is permanently dedicated to "Nightmare". It has a huge cult following (just check out the anomolous 'goth" crowd; infiltrating the park; especially in the smoking areas during "Nightmare's" run).

One other note:
LEAVE THE LIBRARY INTACT after it is over!! I love it... and it fits in fine with the original Mansion.