PDA

View Full Version : Christmas parade!

Pages : [1] 2

cstephens
11-14-2006, 08:01 AM
We saw the Christmas parade last night!

OK, sort of. We had occasion to be at the resort very late last night, and we were wandering around the esplanade around 11:30pm. There's still music playing in the esplanade, but I could hear other loud music and was wondering where the music was coming from. I looked over at Disneyland and through the tunnel on the right, I saw a Christmas float, so I yelled "they're running the parade!", and we all ran over there. At first, we thought they were just running the floats without any CMs because we didn't see any, but after a while, we saw some CMs dancing, and we figured out they would be the gingerbread cookie people. They happened to be right at the tunnel when their particular bit ended and it was the lull between the end of one cycle and the start of another, so they could actually hear us when we applauded. One of the dancers waved at us!

We saw the dwarves. Most of them didn't have their full costumes on and were only recognizable by their heads. There were one or two that only had costumed shoes on. We saw Woody and Ariel on their floats, and we saw the float with all the princes and princesses in full costume. We also saw what's left of the carolers and of course, Santa! The husband and our friend both thought that his float looked much different than in previous years. The husband took a few pictures, which I'll post a link to if they ended up coming out.

We all agreed that we were complete geeks/dorks because we were watching a rehearsal of the Christmas parade at close to midnight from between bars, but we also agreed how much we enjoyed it!

And yes, I do plan to catch a real showing of the parade at some point during the season.

AVP
11-14-2006, 08:05 AM
The husband took a few pictures, which I'll post a link to if they ended up coming out.

We all agreed that we were complete geeks/dorks because we were watching a rehearsal of the Christmas parade at close to midnight from between bars, but we also agreed how much we enjoyed it! Oh, good heavens, don't post photos... you know how much trouble THAT can cause! :eek:

AVP

cstephens
11-14-2006, 08:11 AM
Oh, good heavens, don't post photos... you know how much trouble THAT can cause! :eek:

AVP

OK, apparently, I'm missing something, because no, I don't.

And I think most of the pictures aren't all that different from what you'd see watching the parade itself. We weren't anywhere we weren't supposed to be, and various security people walked by us during the time we were there, so I'm not sure what the problem would be.

Tinkermommy
11-14-2006, 08:20 AM
Most of them didn't have their full costumes on and were only recognizable by their heads. There were one or two that only had costumed shoes on.

I'm thinking this might be the problem with posting the photos. Pictures of characters without their entire "being" would definitely cause heartache for the believers in my house!

cstephens
11-14-2006, 08:29 AM
I'm thinking this might be the problem with posting the photos. Pictures of characters without their entire "being" would definitely cause heartache for the believers in my house!

Then I guess they wouldn't be the ones who would have clicked on the links I would have posted, and I guess they shouldn't be wandering around the esplanade late at night at the moment.

I was just trying to share my excitement at having seen the parade. I guess I'll go be excited somewhere else about this.

DangerMouse
11-14-2006, 08:39 AM
I'm excited about it! Couldn't you just put a spoiler warning on it? Perhaps AVP is worried about Disney not wanting them posted? :confused:

Rhiannon8404
11-14-2006, 08:49 AM
Hey! I'm excited, too! Post the links, but put a spoiler warning. Something like "Christmas Parade rehearsal, Caution some partial costumes" should work. If someone can't resist clicking, that's their fault.

Wendi
11-14-2006, 09:32 AM
Oooo, I'm excited too... and I DO want to see photos!!! On the last night of our first stay at GCH years ago, we were able to watch a special media night preview of the Eureka parade in DCA from our balcony. It was really cool and I should've thought to take pix then, but alas, I did not. I never did see that parade since we left the next day. We were back 4 months later, but I don't know if it was running and we skipped it or if it wasn't going at that point.

I can't wait to see the Christmas Parade... next week!!!

Andrew
11-14-2006, 10:38 AM
I was just trying to share my excitement at having seen the parade. I guess I'll go be excited somewhere else about this.
http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/images/icons/icon14.gif+1 excited! Especially since it doesn't look like we'll be able to see it this year, unless I can persuade Jen that a weekend at Disneyland two days after getting back from WDW is a reasonable thing to do...

Another Dimension
11-14-2006, 12:32 PM
Santa! The husband and our friend both thought that his float looked much different than in previous years. The husband took a few pictures, which I'll post a link to if they ended up coming out.

Santa Claus got a new float last year, I believe. :D

Then I guess they wouldn't be the ones who would have clicked on the links I would have posted, and I guess they shouldn't be wandering around the esplanade late at night at the moment.

It is exciting IMO... :)

The 'thing' (in this situation) is... before PoD debuted (in 2005), someone (from this site, I believe - hence the tongue-in-cheek 'trouble' comment ;) ) posted some rehearsal pics of PoD taken outside the front gates that did feature half-costumes on some dancers and characters... and apparently some DL CM's (from some dept, maybe Entertainment), weren't too pleased and barked about the pics, a bit.

Tis all.

It is exciting that you caught a sorta late-night CFP rehearsal..
It's a cool parade!

MouseWife
11-14-2006, 12:54 PM
And I am jealous. ;)

mckygirl99
11-14-2006, 01:09 PM
http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/images/icons/icon14.gif+1 excited! Especially since it doesn't look like we'll be able to see it this year, unless I can persuade Jen that a weekend at Disneyland two days after getting back from WDW is a reasonable thing to do...

It is reasonable! We came back from WDW on a Sunday and were at DLR on Monday. I see nothing wrong with a little obsession!;)

DangerMouse
11-14-2006, 02:51 PM
Aw, come'on cstephens, don't make us wait.

We really wanna see the parade. <<tapping fingers, twiddling thumbs, whistling while I work . . .>>

nvmom
11-14-2006, 03:11 PM
Well I want to see the photos too. Post them with a spoiler. Some of us have never seen the Christmas parade and probably won't anytime soon. Plus a little "behind the scenes" is sorta fun. :)

nvmom

cstephens
11-14-2006, 03:31 PM
Santa Claus got a new float last year, I believe. :D

Oh, OK, we didn't see the parade last year, so thanks for that info.

As I said, I don't know if he took pictures of the dwarfs or anyone else not fully costumed. In any case, the husband has to process the pictures, and he won't be able to do that at least for a few days, so when they're ready, I'll post links with warnings.

Maybe this year, I'll actually get around to counting exactly how many times they go through the music loop in the course of one parade...

AVP
11-14-2006, 03:56 PM
OK, apparently, I'm missing something, because no, I don't.I was trying to be funny, but I think it fell flat. I was referring to the hubub when we posted photos I had taken of the Parade of Dreams in rehearsal.

AVP

r-we-there-yet
11-14-2006, 04:24 PM
I am taking psychology right now, and it is amazing how misunderstanding can lead to heartache.

Everyone take a deep breath, and hold it until common sense returns. Some cyanosis will occur.
:)

pisces
11-14-2006, 07:20 PM
OK, apparently, I'm missing something, because no, I don't.

And I think most of the pictures aren't all that different from what you'd see watching the parade itself. We weren't anywhere we weren't supposed to be, and various security people walked by us during the time we were there, so I'm not sure what the problem would be.

Well, doesn't it kind of ruin the magic if you see characters with their heads off, and half-out of costume?

You are supposed to believe that the dwarves really are dwarves, and the Gingerbread Men, really are Gingerbread men.

It's kind of hard to suspend belief (or is that 'disbelief' ?) ...if I know that all that was never real in the first place, and it's all a big act.

I Heart Disneyland!
11-14-2006, 10:39 PM
I will be there Friday.....will take lots of photos to share with you!!!! :) Can't wait!

cstephens
11-14-2006, 11:25 PM
I have zero problem feeling the magic even though I know how the magic is created. I'm not a child who can't be told the truth because it will explode my world. And I would venture to guess that a majority of the adults who visit Disneyland, Walt Disney World and all the other Disney parks around the world know the reality behind the characters, but at least to me, they don't seem to have a problem experiencing the magic. To me, feeling the magic and seeing how it affects other people is enhanced by the fact that I know how it's created. I can watch a special effects laden movie and know that this and that and the other thing isn't real, but that doesn't mean I still don't cheer or cry or feel excited or tense or scared. I feel sorry for the people who don't have the imagination to see beyond reality.

cstephens
11-16-2006, 10:38 PM
OK, here's a link with a couple pictures from that night (http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlr/rehearsal.html). They're a little dark and probably not that exciting for anyone not there that night, but we had fun! And there's no one out of costume in any of the pictures.

Andrew
11-17-2006, 09:19 AM
Cool, thanks!

chrisaustx
11-17-2006, 07:24 PM
The christmas parade today was very good, pretty much the same as last year. I really enjoyed the performers, they were great this year.
Photos from today
http://chrisaustx.smugmug.com

ladydiamond
11-17-2006, 09:21 PM
ah I love the christmas fantasy parade

I Heart Disneyland!
11-17-2006, 11:50 PM
LOVED the parade!!! We watched the 3:30 show and we got primo seats because a CM had ill advised us as to where to sit, and we spent 30 minutes there before being told to move by some muckety muck. Anyway---we got seats in front of everyone, and we were right there to see it all up close! It was the first time we'd seen it and it's so darling, I just loved it and so did my hubby---to my surprise! Will post photos when I am back in Seattle!