PDA

View Full Version : Mouse ears / no nicknames

Pages : [1] 2

JimboWever
11-13-2006, 09:44 AM
:confused: :mad:

I want to let the world know that Disneyland is not the happiest place on earth nor is it where dreams come true. Not at least if the common name that all of your family and friends call you does not meet Disney's definition of "proper." I had this fantasy of my family walking around this wonderful park of, well, fantasy, each with our mouse ears on. Other then my children of course all of my family, Mom, brother, sisters, Dad, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. call me Jimbo. Most people at work call me Jimbo. My Pastor calls me Jimbo. To most people who know me if you were to talk about me with them and refer to Jim they would not necessarily think it was me. Yet, Disneyland absolutely positively refuses to embroider Jimbo on my Mickey Mouse ears. I spoke to the manager at one of the stores trying to explain that this is my name while not legally it is how everyone knows me. He still refused. Explaining that some people have inappropriate nick names so they don't allow any. I said that Jim was a nickname as James is my given name. He said Jim would be OK. So why Jim and not Jimbo? Not common enough I guess. This policy lack's common sense as well as logical sense. It's like those Zero Tolorance policies that the schools have implemented tying the administrators hands when say; a little girl finds the knife used to spread the mayonaisse on her sandwidch in her lunchbox, immediatly takes it to a teacher and is suspended for having a knife at school. I understand Disney as company wants to make sure they are very careful with such things. My only point is that the embroidery on the ears is to personalize them make them more special and everyone knows me as "Jimbo" not Jim. If I put Jim or James on them it would not be personal. This policy is erroneous, and it is this type of policy that removes common sense from the equation that is contrbuting to the decline of our society.

I started this with :confused: :mad: now I am just sad:crying:

Jimbo

Vegitabeta
11-13-2006, 09:51 AM
Agreed.

Andrew
11-13-2006, 10:04 AM
Sorry to hear you had this problem. What often works, while it's not a real solution to this stupid policy, is to try again an hour later or at a different embroidery location. The rules are subject to interpretation by the CM working the machine.

barely
11-13-2006, 10:05 AM
WOW! That was REALLY heavy, man!

Bytebear
11-13-2006, 10:28 AM
We tried to get '05 embroidered on our hats, and it was a big fat NO! We thought about asking to put "Walt Disney" on a hat, but I am sure they would have freaked out. Jimbo seems pretty benign a name to me.

herta28
11-13-2006, 11:08 AM
I would just tell them that Jimbo IS my given name. I doubt they would make you produce proof.

DangerMouse
11-13-2006, 11:13 AM
I would just tell them that Jimbo IS my given name. I doubt they would make you produce proof.

Actually, they will. :|

MammaSilva
11-13-2006, 11:15 AM
Look them straight in the eye and say Jimbo, do not say it's your nick name, I own ears that say Mammasilva and Ms Shirt and I have a keytag that says Ohana...Like someone already said, just wait, be very sweet to the CM and if they raise an eyebrow just say what can I say My mom has a crazy sense of humor.

Edited to ad, if you have a hopper, sign it Jimbo and hand it over as proof!

hlbtimes2
11-13-2006, 11:15 AM
Oddly, they will allow you to have Mom, Granny or papa, which I'm pretty sure are never legal given names. LOL

mommy-san
11-13-2006, 11:17 AM
And what happens to kids named Dax or Riff or Axel? Sky, Ocean or Jewel? Where do they draw the line? My kids nicknames are Dolly and Sunshine... would they not be allowed? Yet I have known real people with those as real names. Go figure. And foreign names? Who decides about those. If my friend Hang wanted to embroider her name, would they let her? ARGGGH... rules drive me nuts.

Bolivar
11-13-2006, 11:18 AM
I wonder what they would say to Bruce if he asked for hats for his kids: Rumor and Scout. Or if Gwyneth asked for a hat with Apple on it.

There are a lot of names out there that are stranger than any nickname someone might want. But, on the other hand, I can see that Disney doesn't want to just open the door to any silly thing someone wants to put on a hat.

AVP
11-13-2006, 11:36 AM
As someone who deals with this on nearly a daily basis, let me first say that whatever frustration you may have with this policy should NOT be vented on the front-line cast members. They don't set the policy, and very few have the authority to override it. If you don't like what you have been told, ask politely to speak to a lead or complex manager.

Now that Disney has gone to this new computerized system, front line CMs are extremely concerned about embroidering anything that is questionable. I know some CMs are under the impression that the computer saves a list of names that are embroidered, and that an inappropriate name can be traced back to them. I don't know if this is true, or can be worked around, but that is the concern some CMs have.

The policy is that Disneyland will embroider proper first names or traditional nicknames. This is how we explain it to our customers:
No unusual nicknames, slang terms, profanity or epithets may be personalized. (Jim is a usual nickname for James, "Dawg" is not). Most titles are acceptable, like Mr. Smith, Dr. Jones, or Miss Davis. Names with initials are OK, for example "J.D.", but last initials can not be embroidered with a name, like "Karen R." No numbers, punctuation marks other than periods, company names, or slogans.

Family titles - grandma, grandpa, mom, dad, aunt & uncle are usually OK, as are bride & groom. However, we've recently had "pop pop" and "oma" rejected.

In terms of unusual names, the ones I remember were Rainbow, Indiana and Columbia. We've got a really unusual one right now, and I'm waiting to see if they will do it without proof. We *have* been required to show proof for at least one name before (the father faxed over the child's school ID as proof), and I remember being in the store once when another customer was told that their "legal" name was inappropriate, even though the person standing in the shop could product photo ID with that name. (No, I'm not telling you what it was)

You might get a CM that doesn't know the policy, or doesn't care, so the "shop around" advice may be sound, but again, these policies are set by Disney, and the front-line CMs can't do a lot to change them.

AVP

Crazy4DL
11-13-2006, 11:43 AM
Sorry to hear you had this problem. What often works, while it's not a real solution to this stupid policy, is to try again an hour later or at a different embroidery location. The rules are subject to interpretation by the CM working the machine.

We were there this past summer and I told the CM that I wanted "AnnDrea" on one of the pirate Mickey ears we were getting. She was insistent that she could NOT do the capital D. I am doing the huh? what do you do with all the McKenzie's etc???

Another CM came on their shift right then, heard the conversation and said, "I will do it" and explained that it might look like two names instead of one. I said fine. He did it and it was perfect.

So, yeah, find another CM and the answer could be totally different.

BigJake
11-13-2006, 11:54 AM
Honestly I don't see their point. I know 6 guys named James and 4 of them go by Jimbo, 1 goes by Jim (actually my father in law, he may go by Jimbo also but he and are not nearly close enough for me to test the waters on that one), and the other would probably smack you for calling him anything but James.

Malcon10t
11-13-2006, 12:03 PM
My daughter goes by KC. She has ears with K.C. on them. When she asked, she said her name was KC. They said "C-A-S-E-Y", she said "No, K-C." They said OH, "K-A-C-I-E?" Noooooo. Letter K letter C. Then they said Can't do it. I said Yes, you can, look at her AP... It said K.C., so they did it!

Oh, and we wanted a tag for one of our dogs. We asked for Buddie. Oops, we can't do nicknames. Uhhh, its for the dog, thats his name... You could see the wheels turning, how could they ask for ID to prove it... They thought about it for a sec, then just did it.

Cat H
11-13-2006, 12:05 PM
I had a similar experience in September. They would not let my daughter's ears say "Sunny" even though this is her legal name. Her state issued ID was produced for the CM and he still refused. They however were willing to write nicknames on hats for myself and my husband as well. We decided not to buy any ears.

mistofviolets
11-13-2006, 12:06 PM
:(

I'm really sorry. We ran into this too...dh's friend really wanted baby ears for the baby to be...I forget what they were calling the "bump", but the CM refused to embroider it.

I managed to get one from the kids to their grandpa "Boppa" by just filling out the sheet at a busy time and smiling sweetly. The CM did hesitate, then just did it.

I think the issue is whether or not the name could be considered offensive. I know that at some point in time "Jimbo" was used as a derogatory nickname. (No offense intended!!!) They want to keep the magic...by preventing people from thumbing it, iykwim?

potterphreak
11-13-2006, 01:07 PM
I had the middle names of my daughter and my niece embroidered for our trip last November and those names are Sunshine and Darling. How did I do this without any drama? We were staying at the DLH and I ordered a basket and paid them to go into the park. LOL :rolleyes:

kohl
11-13-2006, 01:13 PM
The policy is that Disneyland will embroider proper first names or traditional nicknames. This is how we explain it to our customers:
No unusual nicknames, slang terms, profanity or epithets may be personalized. (Jim is a usual nickname for James, "Dawg" is not). Most titles are acceptable, like Mr. Smith, Dr. Jones, or Miss Davis. Names with initials are OK, for example "J.D.", but last initials can not be embroidered with a name, like "Karen R." No numbers, punctuation marks other than periods, company names, or slogans.

AVP

We tried last year to get our kids teachers the 50th ears with their name Miss Rathe and Mrs. Maier and they said they couldn't do that.

MammaSilva
11-13-2006, 01:17 PM
I think it really just depends on the CM, the policy is in place but I own exceptions ..when I posted earlier I'd forgotten about Missys ears...they read Missy we didn't even have the CM blink when we asked and it was on one of the new machines.

Rhiannon8404
11-13-2006, 01:45 PM
I think it really just depends on the CM, the policy is in place but I own exceptions ..when I posted earlier I'd forgotten about Missys ears...they read Missy we didn't even have the CM blink when we asked and it was on one of the new machines.
Well, Missy is a rather popular diminutive for Melissa. I knew 4 of them in highschool, one is still my best friend.

nickapoohiluvu
11-13-2006, 01:55 PM
We were able to get "Baby M" for our child to be a year and a half ago without a problem. Nearing two years ago, the CM had no problem with Uncle Jacky for my very dear uncle who has never been to Disneyland.

SoCalSteven
11-13-2006, 03:32 PM
What if a person goes by their middle name instead of their first? Is that a problem?

MrHobbes
11-13-2006, 03:41 PM
Are there not businesses in people's hometowns that will stitch any nickname or whatever on your hats\garmets? If it's important just buy blank ears and take them home and get them done there.
It is quite overprotective of Disney but I see they have made a blanket policy to keep out anything controversial. By doing this they have taken the decision out of the CM's hands.

kikid
11-13-2006, 03:43 PM
"Jimbo" I'm sorry you were dissapointed, seems so trivial. Take your hat to a person that does machine embroider (outside the park) and wear it proud on your next visit!!;)