PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland GCH room refurbishment?

wenidog
11-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Does anyone know how often they refurbish the rooms at the Disney properties? We stay every year at the GCH and the rooms are really getting worn-out. Resort trends show that most upscale hotels are moving towards a triple sheeted down comforter and deleting the seldom cleaned bedspreads. Anyone in The Industry that knows about such stuff?

pisces
11-12-2006, 12:12 PM
I don't know that the specific guestrooms at GCH would be considered "upscale" in the same manner as Four Seasons and the Ritz, even though GCH charges the same rates, or even more in some cases.

I don't think the room quality, and the quality of the furnishings in the room, was ever the appeal of the GCH. It was more the fact that you are inside a theme park, and are paying a premium to be close.

That being said, I like the existing themed bedspreads, and they already use designer linens, and pillows (Frette).

Supposedly, they changed mattresses, though. And, they are also reported to have replaced the old armoires, which I'm not too happy about. I don't know if the new armoires match the themed headboard, the way the old ones did.

MouseWife
11-12-2006, 12:15 PM
I don't have a clue about the GCH butI stayed recently at the Hampton Inn and Suites in various locations in CA.

Oh my. Their beds. Sounds like this 'trend' of which you speak. Comfortable. Felt so clean .

I agree, those bedspreads do not feel clean. I always wonder at any hotel I stay at if the bedspreads are clean. Especially with the concern about water conservation, polution with the laundry soap, etc. I see the carts full of clean sheets but not bedspreads.....

I didn't ask or read up on if they remove the duvet to wash them regularly.

Very great question...

pisces
11-12-2006, 12:22 PM
It's hard to believe that GCH wouldn't clean the bedspreads. Housekeeping comes in there twice a day, like clockwork; and on top of that, they've got extra linens in baskets everywhere on the floors.

I would be concerned at other hotels, but clean linens aren't a problem at GCH, that's for sure.

wenidog
11-12-2006, 02:05 PM
I'm happy someone thaought it was a valid question! I have a friend who works in the hospitality industry here in Scottsdale (for a true upscale resort) and she told me that bedspreads (unless visably soiled) are cleaned every three months. She has been in the industry for years and says it is standard. This new trend is to have the fitted sheet and a down duvet between the bed's top sheet and another sheet (hence the term 'triple sheeting'.) Whenever the linens are changed (every 3rd or 4th day of stay at GCH, also an industry standard for water conservation) all sheets are changed. You never have to lay on someone else's bodily fluids; or worse change your baby's diaper on a yucky spread. Imagine how many diapers are changed on a bedspread at Disneyland in three month time!

PS-The extra balnkets are are cleaned every 3 months (or more) also!

mjjpower
11-12-2006, 02:19 PM
I will second the "oohing" over the Hampton's new beds and linens. We stayed at a new Hampton a month or so ago and the bed was to die for! Very similiar to what I've had at a four seasons! We are staying at the GCH in January...I'll be checking the bedspreads for sure if they are not laundered but 3-4 times a year!:eek:

jenpace
11-12-2006, 02:25 PM
We like to stay at the GCH and I've always thought that the bedspreads had a questionable level of cleanliness :|

Wouldn't it be possible to request freshly laundered bedspreads upon arrival? I'm thinking that I can't be the only one who might request that.

Jenn

pisces
11-12-2006, 02:58 PM
The one thing you can count on at the GCH is the quality, and frequency of Housekeeping.

The Bedspread is turned down half-the time. You don't really sleep on it, unless you pull it back up, after they've already turned it down.

And, they have triple sheeting, but they put a thin blanket between two sheets, which I think is a lot warmer, plus less heavy to deal with than a big 'ol bulky quilt/comforter.

Here's a picture of the turned down bed:
http://family.webshots.com/photo/1412886805075413908oFPjlw

http://family.webshots.com/photo/1412892699075413908SVcWFr

http://family.webshots.com/photo/1412894786075413908TYbCFW

Hey, those are my pictures.....I actually took those!

Anyway, the Housekeeping is so good, that if they sensed a problem, or saw a soiled bedspread, I'm sure they'd whisk it out of there, before you even checked in. They are constantly servicing the rooms and keeping an eye out for problems.

At least that's been my experience in over 12 nights spent there!

wenidog
11-12-2006, 03:18 PM
Well, if you want irrefutable evidance, you can always take a blacklight with you on your next stay! Dateline NBC did a show on the cleanliness of hotels and cruise ships, so sickening. You can buy portable blacklights at Petsmart. They will show urine and other more personal 'bodily fluids'. You may be un- pleasantly surprized! Housekeeping does their best, but come on...there totally overworked. They wipe down vanities, showers and toilets with a dirty wet towel. The sinks and tubs are wiped with furniture polish so water marks don't stay (a good trick for home too!) Nothing is 'clean' clean. I'm a microbilogist I'll abmit to being a germaphobe.

pisces
11-12-2006, 03:30 PM
Well, in that case, you'd better not sit on any of the chairs in the lobby, the couches, restaurant chairs, benches in Disney, nevermind sitting in the ride vehicles. Can you imagine all the germs ....and is each and every Matterhorn car disinfected after each use?

Anyone who goes to a theme park, and goes on rides, nevermind sitting on chairs/benches, is going to come in contact with some germs.

Personally, I wouldn't want to live totally germ free, because coming in contact with a few, helps with immunity.

wenidog
11-12-2006, 04:06 PM
My last sentence was meant to be somewhat satirical Pisces...that being said I do know my way around a germ. I love Disney as much as you do, but we don't live in a eutopian world. Disney's is a business. Run like business. Do they have our health in mind more than any other hotel, probably not. But, their housekeeping does a great job. Their job is to make it look clean and supply the guest with all the immenities they could ever possible need throughout the stay. Disney does this with spades!

TP2000
11-12-2006, 04:38 PM
I've never been a big fan of the GCH. They are charging Ritz-Carlton prices for Holiday Inn service. Wait, I take that back, I had better service at the Mission Valley Holiday Inn in San Diego last month than I've had at the GCH. Quick, someone think of some other mid-priced hotel chain to finish my snarky "Ritz-Carlton prices for __________ service" line.

The GCH does have a beautiful lobby and a great restaurant, but too many of their front line CM's are poorly trained and think "service" means just doing everything with a dollop of snooty attitude on top. The GCH management should ship every single CM down to Laguna Beach to stay one night at the Ritz or the Montage to see how service at a fine hotel is actually supposed to work. And then that same GCH management should stay at those hotels for three nights to see how their similarly priced Orange County peers are outperforming them by leaps and bounds.

I stopped staying at the GCH around 2003. I just can't justify the prices anymore for the service and sub-par amenities you get. I still have a meal or two per year at Napa Rose however.

All that said, it then comes as absolutely no surprise to me to hear that the GCH room furniture and guest amenities are now worn around the edges and visibly in need of replacement. Just another category to add to the list of how Disney really doesn't know how to manage and operate a top-notch, world class hotel property. They only seem to know how to market a mid-level property as a top-notch property.

MouseWife
11-12-2006, 04:40 PM
And, the Housekeeping staff itself isn't being questioned, they change the bedspreads according to their managements policies, as any hotel/business.

And, while on the subject of germs...

I got that you were kidding {to an extent;) } about the black light but I have also seen those shows. Housekeeping can't know what each and every guest does so, again, they do the best they can. But, I would hope my bed that I am paying a heck of a lot of money on {we've stayed there a handful of times, when it is convenient as it is rather small for our family} is a lot more clean than the chairs in the lobby and even more so the seats/handrails on any ride!!!

And, now that you mention those couches, I sure hope they do clean them on a regular basis.

mjjpower~on the trip we took and stayed at the HI&S's we had a lot of down time...we spent a lot of that lounging snuggly in the beds!!!

The GCH beds were pretty comfortable, I must add.

TP2000
11-12-2006, 04:46 PM
I'll second mousewifes Housekeeping comment.

I've never had a single problem with Housekeeping at the GCH. They only replace and repair that which their management allows them to. The general housekeeping of the GCH rooms was just fine.

And thinking back on my stays at the GCH, in either standard rooms or a Concierge suite, the Housekeeping staff were the only department that would consistently greet me with a smile and a pleasant hello. Too many other CM's from other departments at the GCH were too busy trying to be cool to acknowledge the "guests" in their vicinity, or they felt it beneath them to be of service to those "guests".

The GCH Housekeeping staff, on the other hand, was always delightful and efficient.

MouseWife
11-12-2006, 04:46 PM
The GCH does have a beautiful lobby and a great restaurant, but too many of their front line CM's are poorly trained and think "service" means just doing everything with a dollop of snooty attitude on top.

I stopped staying at the GCH around 2003. I just can't justify the prices anymore for the service and sub-par amenities you get. I still have a meal or two per year at Napa Rose however.

I have had both snooty service {rude actually} as well as wonderful. But I can see where some have an attitude and I heard it coming back when it was being built and we stayed at the Paradise Pier.

I also had to say nay to the high prices, I'll only stay when the price agrees with me. My niece stayed at the Maui Ritz Carlton {or whatever it is on Maui} for less and she had an awesome room. So, when I hear their prices {when high season} I think "I could be in Maui!!" {plus airfair, of course...}

TP2000
11-12-2006, 04:53 PM
I have had both snooty service {rude actually} as well as wonderful. But I can see where some have an attitude and I heard it coming back when it was being built and we stayed at the Paradise Pier.

I once had a bored looking GCH Concierge Lounge hostess tell me on a cold weekday morning in winter at 10:30am that the lounge coffee decanters were empty, except for decaf, and that if I wanted some coffee I could find some down at La Brea Bakery in Downtown Disney! Seriously, that was her solution to the fact that the Concierge Lounge was out of coffee at 10:30 in the morning.

She served up this "solution" with a big fake smile, as if smiling at me while she sat at her little knock-off, reproduction Craftsman wood desk was going to be an appropriate service level. After all, not every hotel employee smiles at you nowadays, so in her mind she was probably exceeding a standard.

I think I stayed one more time at the GCH after that, in a regular room, and then they just lost my business for 300 dollars a night completely.

MouseWife
11-12-2006, 09:34 PM
Concierge and no coffee/tea/soda/water all day???

The aforementioned HI & S did. :D For a lot less, depending on where we were at. {can earn stays with Hilton Honors points...}

Ooo, I hate fake smiles. I mean, I can tell if someone is tired and I have sympathy for that, but, not that sort of reaction. And, she could have called down for more...

Niele
11-13-2006, 10:46 AM
So, has anyone stayed at GCH recently? If so, what condition was the room in? Did they ever change out the TV's in the suites to flatpanel (i read that they were going to do that) and .... did they ever install fans in the bathrooms????!!!!