PDA

View Full Version : What's fun in Innoventions besides Asimo and Stitch?

Pages : [1] 2

ktrm
11-10-2006, 08:33 PM
Whenever I go into Innoventions, its just a blur of lights and sounds to me. My family always ends up playing the touch the fish game or the ball game on the floor while we wait for Asimo and Stitch. What other games or things are interesting in there? I just seem to get sensory overload and can't focus on what other items are fun for kids under 8 years old. There seems to be a ton of activities going on.

Pirate Princess
11-10-2006, 09:39 PM
Whenever I go into Innoventions, its just a blur of lights and sounds to me. My family always ends up playing the touch the fish game or the ball game on the floor while we wait for Asimo and Stitch. What other games or things are interesting in there? I just seem to get sensory overload and can't focus on what other items are fun for kids under 8 years old. There seems to be a ton of activities going on.
After the floor soccer Wack-A-Mole appears. My kidlet LOVED it! Also the dancing game seems to be a popular one. It's nice for kids who have been loaded up on sugar all day but stuck standing in lines. It definitley gets their wiggles out. We've only been once in Innov. and did it super quick.. can't wait to hear what others say.

Noxx
11-10-2006, 09:54 PM
For adults, wandering around and counting how many monitors in the displays are dying is always a hoot...

Dani
11-10-2006, 11:01 PM
I feel like an idiot for asking but...whats ASSIMO? I've never actually been inside Innoventions

disneyhound
11-11-2006, 05:05 AM
Your threads title is an oxymoron; there is no fun in innoventions... ;)

Pirate Princess
11-11-2006, 07:07 AM
I feel like an idiot for asking but...whats ASSIMO? I've never actually been inside Innoventions
Here is ASIMO:
http://world.honda.com/ASIMO/history/
He does a prescripted show which is a bummer to me because I would love to see what the robot could really do. Guest interaction should be mandatory.

infinite
11-11-2006, 07:42 AM
Wait!

You can go see what you will look like in…what is it 20 year, 30 years? One of my children (according to this technical marvel), will end up looking like Robin Williams, the other will end up looking like someone I am afraid to let in the house. My husband will look like a much older version of himself, and I won’t change…it must have know I didn’t want to know the future, or it must have felt I was a perfect candidate for botox and chemical peels!

nvmom
11-11-2006, 07:53 AM
My family loves Innoventions! IMO, you just have to be willing to spend some time trying out the games, etc. Some of them are prettty interesting. I would agree w/the sensory overload though- for myself- doesn't bother my kids or dh at all.

nvmom

dznyphreak
11-11-2006, 10:42 AM
Go to the Virtual Resort and enjoy a trip to the Swiss Alps!

Pirate Princess
11-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Wait!

You can go see what you will look like in…what is it 20 year, 30 years? One of my children (according to this technical marvel), will end up looking like Robin Williams, the other will end up looking like someone I am afraid to let in the house. My husband will look like a much older version of himself, and I won’t change…it must have know I didn’t want to know the future, or it must have felt I was a perfect candidate for botox and chemical peels!
I forgot about this!!! If you are not emotionally stable.. don't try it. Last trip I went with someone who is a little to self-obsessed (ugh) and they didn't like it.
I thought it was hilarious!

MrsSmith
11-13-2006, 07:10 PM
My kids enjoy playing VMK while inside Innoventions.

mulansgirl
11-13-2006, 07:42 PM
You can make a roller coaster I thought that was pretty fun. First I did not give it enough force so the "car" fell back down the hill thingy husband made a pretty cool one but mine kept not working then I made it go really fast and lets say no living person could have gone on the coaster I created since I never slowed down the tracks at the end so it went from like over 100 mph to 0 in a second pretty cool.

DisneyBubbles
11-14-2006, 02:52 PM
What's fun in Innoventions? .......................Absolutely nothing!

It is like walking through Circuit City. Zzzzzzzzzzzz:rolleyes:

Park Freak
11-14-2006, 03:18 PM
What's fun in Innoventions? .......................Absolutely nothing!

It is like walking through Circuit City. Zzzzzzzzzzzz:rolleyes:

I agree, I NEVER go in there. :eek:

mommy-san
11-14-2006, 03:50 PM
Oh, what party poopers you guys are! Its a great AIRCONDITIONED way to spend a few minutes. If you could get in there with out doing the whole intro thing, that would be good. My kids loved the soccer, though there were some injuries. we also send an e-card to everyone we know from the kiosks up there.

mulansgirl
11-14-2006, 03:59 PM
Why post about something you hate? Why waste your time even reading about something you dislike so much? I understand innoventions is not for everyone, but couldent you a least say "I find innoventiond boring because there are no games I find interesting they are all geared towards ten year olds, it is too loud and the children are all running amuck. " instead of Innoventions is no fun? Please explaine why you think it is no fun, it does not help answer the question by just puting up that one line.
I find things to do there everytime I go. I do think there are too many loud children that are running around unsupervised (some that pushed my niece, no clue where there parents were). But I enjoy playing the Disney DDR, VMK, The rollar coaster game, Wack-a-mole, looking at the diffrent set ups, I think trying to get kids to excorcise is great with all the health-u and health nut stuff. I know there is a lot of mindless games but there is also some great tecnology and education too. I got my friend to do the DDR (the dancing game) She never excorcises and she was having a great time. There is always something you just have to take the time to find it, if you dont want to no problem enjoy the rest of DL.

ochibiyo
11-14-2006, 04:24 PM
HI! I've never set foot in Innoventions since I was a small child. Is everything in there hands on? Is is free? Sorry if this is a stupid question!!

screamin4ever
11-14-2006, 04:38 PM
Why post about something you hate? Why waste your time even reading about something you dislike so much? I understand innoventions is not for everyone, but couldent you a least say "I find innoventiond boring because there are no games I find interesting they are all geared towards ten year olds, it is too loud and the children are all running amuck. " instead of Innoventions is no fun? ...

Perhaps if we can convince enough people that a glorified Best Buy is so bad people will stop going and they will finally tear it out and put in a proper attraction. Or maybe we are just trying to convice everyone to not settle for cheap distractions. Or maybe we just have no life and we're bitter.

You know...:D

Tinkermommy
11-14-2006, 04:44 PM
We love Innoventions! Why? Hmm...we play VMK inside when we need a break. (If you don't have a character, you can create one there and it will forever be designated as having been "born" in Disneyland. It's great fun telling other players that you're playing from Disneyland in real life!)

In addition to the things already mentioned, my daughter likes creating her own fireworks show, playing the video game in which Goofy skateboards all over the beach and underwater, sending e-cards to others AND ourselves; playing that "disc" thing in which you have to get your space vehicle to all of the supply stations by moving the disc; and playing with the virtual aquarium. If you spend enough time in Innoventions, you'll learn kewl things like how to make the "ghost" face appear in the computer that ages you...:eek:

Clotho
11-14-2006, 06:32 PM
I am not too keen on the "health" exhibits. I think they are boring and a waste of space. I see a lot of kids wander up, tinker around, walk away.

But the games are great fun, and sometimes they have special installations of games, or 3D demos. Well worth it. I just wish you didn't have to wait outside, go through the whole schpiel with Tom Morrow every time...if I want to go in, I just want to go IN!

Once we're in, we skip right past the demos of new technology. We're technophiles and pretty much always know about what is being presented already.

Another Dimension
11-15-2006, 09:58 AM
Anyone who says Talk to Stitch and ASIMO aren't fun or are at least a little bit interesting once... is just being narrow minded to be narrow minded... and their hate for Innoventions obviously stems back to 1998 and it's McPlayland crawl-thru, the crawl-thru beating heart and the pregnant women displays.

Don't slam Stitch or ASIMO until you have tried them, they are by far the newest and most impressive entertaining on-display technologies at Disneyland.

You know Walt Disney would have been excited about them.
Why not you? :confused:

;)

Pirate Princess
11-15-2006, 10:12 AM
and their hate for Innoventions obviously stems back to 1998 and it's McPlayland crawl-thru, the crawl-thru beating heart and the pregnant women displays.

What the whoo-ha?
Can anyone provide a better description of this??? Or pictures? I have a great imagination and this is cracking me up. :D

hbquikcomjamesl
11-15-2006, 10:14 AM
I found the ASIMO demonstration quite fascinating. There have been a few other exhibits and demonstrations that were also interesting. Sometimes, I'll catch all the "entry spiel" shows that are running that particular day. Mainly, though, unless I've gotten word of some new exhibit, it's just a place to wander about for perhaps as long as an hour, and get out from under a broiling sun.

Bolivar
11-15-2006, 10:17 AM
I've only gone into Innoventions once, last year, and I'll admit I didn't give it much of a chance. I thought it was loud, with headache producing lighting. I went up to a few of the computers and tried to do something, but I didn't know how to play the game and frankly thought, "I can do this on my computer at home, why am at Disneyland trying to figure this thing out, I'd rather be on Pirates." We walked through to go see ASIMO, the only reason we went in there in the first place. Our ticket for the show had a time that was something like an hour away so my son and I tried a couple more of the things, thought they were lame and got out of there. We never saw ASIMO.

Another Dimension
11-15-2006, 10:54 AM
What the whoo-ha?
Can anyone provide a better description of this??? Or pictures? I have a great imagination and this is cracking me up. :D

I couldn't make that stuff up. I'm not an Imagineer / California ScienCenter designer... hehe.

There used to be a McPlay crawl-thru area built where the Virtual Resort is now, I think.... with netting and tubes and ladders, just like at McDonalds. But this one was sponsored by Honeywell, so for shill and theme alike.... attached to the 2 x 4 built structure that held up the McHabiTrail were Honeywell thermostats for your home.

There was a giant beating fiberglass(?) human heart near where the St Joseph display is now.
It was huge, about the size of a Nissan Sentra, but taller; and it made beating sounds like a heart and it also had several normal sized ears on it... so that you could press your ear to an ear, if for some reason you wanted to hear it beat even louder. And it was already pretty loud from a couple feet away!
You could also crawl into the large empty heart (a true symbol for the old Innoventions) and just hang out in there, if you wanted.
No idea why anyone would want to though.
The heart seemed to beat at a different tempo than my heart, so when I was nearby it the vibration from the thumping kinda thru my rhythm off a bit and drove me crazy. haha! :eek:

Also there were maybe, half a dozen hard-plastic, yet still strangely visually descriptive,:rolleyes: pregnant women on display... laying on their backs getting ready for sonograms. All in the same area.
There will be absolutely privacy in the future, I guess.
There was an attached sonogram scanning tool at each patients reclined tableand it was the task of the Disneyland Guest to give the plastic and faceless woman a sonogram, as the display monitor actually showed a real sonogram taking place.

.....where ASIMO is now, was a very basic Test Track-type ride-video Guests could watch / ride. :rolleyes:

The Guests all sat on uncomfortable swiveling metal contraptions by leaning over and placing their face into an uncomfortable minimally cushioned face-holder with a video screen veryclose to their eyes, and that 1000's of Guests had already placed their faces into thru-out the day.
You were shown a video about auto-making and vehicle testing. During the vehicle test portion the video visually showed the Guest in their vehicle turning right and left, traveling up and down on hills.
Yet the uncomfortable moving contraption only swiveled right and left along with the video. So it really threw you off mentally. At least me...

To put it lightly, Innoventions 1998 left most people feeling like they had a mild concussion after they exited it.
....and that's only if they didn't try to actually think while inside.

Compared to the past and with Stitch and ASIMO there now...
Innoventions is at least a solid B-ticket. :eek: