PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland trip cancellation blues

Pages : [1] 2

rentayenta
11-08-2006, 08:27 PM
in other words: how to cope with having to cancel a very much looked forward to vacation?

I am really having a rough time shaking off the blues. We have had to cancel our annual holiday trip to Disneyland this December. :crying: Due to financial reasons it is just not feasible to go this year. We just built a beautiful new home and I really love it but I am very upset over having to cancel our trip; the kids took it better than I did.

Any advice on how to cope? I realize that Disneyland will be there next year and my sadness is fairly irrational but I am having a hard time getting over it.

Crazy4DL
11-08-2006, 09:17 PM
awww . . . I am so sorry you had to cancel, Jenny. :(

Just know that you are doing the right thing. Enjoy the house. Enjoy all the holiday first in your beautiful house.

Start planning a trip for spring!!!! :D

Pirate Princess
11-08-2006, 09:31 PM
Start a fund for your next trip... how about a dollar a day? More if you can afford it.
Here's my idea:
- Decide when you will be going to Disney and how much money a day you will put away everyday.
- Figure how much you will have by your next trip. For example, a dollar a day for a year will give you $360. Two a day will be $720.
- Think of something Disney-esque and extravagant that you want to do with the money. Make sure it's something you haven't done before because it’s too excessive. (Stay at the DLH/GCH, or upgrade to concierge level, eat at a pricey restaurant, buy a Disney souvenir that is insanely overpriced, do a tour, the options are endless.)
- Put the money in a large jar/water jug etc.
- Scour the internet to find a picture or some sort of representation of what it is you are saving for.
- Giggle with glee every time you drop your money in the jug.

Hope that helps a bit. Tonight pamper yourself, climb in bed early, and dream a happy dream. (Better get on it! It’s 10:30!)

Sorry about your trip.

kikid
11-09-2006, 05:10 AM
in other words: how to cope with having to cancel a very much looked forward to vacation?

I am really having a rough time shaking off the blues. We have had to cancel our annual holiday trip to Disneyland this December. :crying: Due to financial reasons it is just not feasible to go this year. We just built a beautiful new home and I really love it but I am very upset over having to cancel our trip; the kids took it better than I did.

Any advice on how to cope? I realize that Disneyland will be there next year and my sadness is fairly irrational but I am having a hard time getting over it.
I understand your sadness and dissapointment regarding missing a Disneyland trip. We recently remodeled our home and became 'house-poor' for awhile. It seemed like every penny went into the house. It's been 2 years and we are finally able to enjoy more things...as will you! Be patient, enjoy what you have right now....DL will be there, and the kiddos will appreciate it even more;)

DangerMouse
11-09-2006, 05:47 AM
Jenny, we just finished remodeling our house, and are in the same boat. I realize the soonest we will be going to DL is after Nemo opens, maybe next fall/winter. It's really hard to be visiting this site every day, planning other's vacations for them, when your next trip seems so far away.

Try to make some at home memories for Christmas this year. Work on making new a new tradition tied to your new home (maybe even include Mickey).

Anyway, just know that you aren't alone in missing DL. Hugs!

kisroo
11-09-2006, 06:13 AM
Start a fund for your next trip... how about a dollar a day? More if you can afford it.
Here's my idea:
- Decide when you will be going to Disney and how much money a day you will put away everyday.
- Figure how much you will have by your next trip. For example, a dollar a day for a year will give you $360. Two a day will be $720.
- Think of something Disney-esque and extravagant that you want to do with the money. Make sure it's something you haven't done before because it’s too excessive. (Stay at the DLH/GCH, or upgrade to concierge level, eat at a pricey restaurant, buy a Disney souvenir that is insanely overpriced, do a tour, the options are endless.)

This is exactly what I did! Jenny, I'm so itching to go this holiday season but I keep looking forward to the blow out trip we will end up having (we're getting to stay longer and at the GCH~concierge level) when we do get to go next year.

But, I know the Disney blues well and they are no fun. :(

Hang in there. Enjoy the new house. Maybe buy yourself something fun from the Mouseshoppe, the Disney store or Deliverears to bring the Disney magic to you?

~kisroo:)

MammaSilva
11-09-2006, 06:20 AM
(((my friend)))) I don't have the magic answer other than every single time that the blues hit hard, walk up your stairs and look down at your fireplace, or go take a soothing shower in that beyond beautiful bathroom of yours? It won't take away the blues but it'll remind you why you're not at the park.

Disneygirl65
11-09-2006, 08:17 AM
(((my friend)))) I don't have the magic answer other than every single time that the blues hit hard, walk up your stairs and look down at your fireplace, or go take a soothing shower in that beyond beautiful bathroom of yours? It won't take away the blues but it'll remind you why you're not at the park.

I agree with this one a lot.

Maybe remember that some people don't have a beautiful new home and Disney at Christmas is never an option.

I think I would probably deck my house out big time for Christmas and make it your Disneyland this year. (Have your husband dress up as Jack Sparrow one night! ;) )

11-09-2006, 08:30 AM
my sadness is fairly irrational but I am having a hard time getting over it.

Therapy.

MouseWife
11-09-2006, 08:42 AM
Oh, I hear you!

I love MammaSilvas advice about admiring your new home. Decorating it up with a lot of Disney sounds nice, too.

I am sort of in your same position. We didn't build a home but the Hubsters work is not like it was and we are all now working so schedules are hard to match up as well as in the retail buisines, the time we want to go is blacked out. Oh, and I forget, the Boy has school.

So, I am hoping to steal away for a day or an overnighter. Nothing for sure. And, to add to this {we've been going every Dec since 92 or 93, a tradition for us} the sadness I feel knowing that even if we do make it, it most likely won't be with the whole family. {we've loved making our Christmas cards from a picture there.} So, that makes me sad.

Sorry if I didn't help but just wanted to let you know you aren't alone. I feel sad. I see things that remind me and it just washes over me and I am sad. So, I get it.

Maybe therapy is in order? :fez:

disney jones
11-09-2006, 08:57 AM
ehh - just keep telling yourself, it's the same stuff as last year.

same parade, same fireworks, same Holiday overlays at IASW and HM, etc.

been there. done that.

tinker3
11-09-2006, 12:12 PM
I am so sorry you had to cancel your trip. I would feel the same way.

We just got home from DLR and my boys and I have the "I don't want the trip to be over, I already miss DLR blues" so look at it this way..... you don't have to go through those blues ;) . I wish I had better advice, but it just stinks to have to cancel a trip!

kohl
11-09-2006, 12:20 PM
I feel the same way you do! For the past 5 years we have gone right after Thanksgiving. That is our favorite time to go and EVERYONE knows we go. This year we have to skip it. I don't know what I am going to do the Sunday after Thanksgiving. We are usually driving then.

SDMom
11-09-2006, 01:26 PM
So sorry to hear about this. Just remember that "absence makes the heart grow fonder" - so your next trip, (get one on the calendar at least), will be amazing!

Dani
11-09-2006, 03:30 PM
(Have your husband dress up as Jack Sparrow one night! ;) )
WHOOOP! :~D

Bolivar
11-09-2006, 04:01 PM
A DL trip is that it is only a short trip, maybe a few days, a week, more if you are lucky. But the thing is all the time leading up to it, looking forward to it, that takes you out of the everyday routine and gives you something special.

What you need to do is replace it with something else. Take a week and do something else fun, something cheaper. It won't be the same thing, but spending that kind of time with your husband with your kids will be magical. It will be something that you can look forward to and can be something that leaves you and your kids with wonderful memories. I don't know what that can be, but think about it. A camping trip, rent a cheap house in middle of nowhere. Play board games, rent old movies, take hikes together.

I don't know, I'm not coming up with any good ideas. But, I would try to find something I could plan that I could look forward to.

splash
11-09-2006, 04:22 PM
Ok, let's play devils advocate.....This is what credit cards are for. Just saying. Not saying it is good to go in debt, but, sometimes what we want (or need) does not always coincide with our cash flow. I know with the Disney Visa, it spreads out the cost of a trip over 6 months. Just food for thought.

Just reflect on Disneyland and play some tunes from there. Make up a questions game about different attractions. I'm there for you though. Last time we went, we had been home like two weeks and my son was ready to go back.

cstephens
11-09-2006, 04:26 PM

I can imagine that must be very difficult to get used to. When were you supposed to have been at DL?

The only suggestion I can think of is to think about what you would have done on the trip and try to duplicate some of it at home. Are there pictures of certain things you like that you can look at or things that can give you a similar feeling? That way, you can enjoy some of Christmas at Disneyland and still be able to sleep in your own bed in your nice new home.

disneyperson
11-09-2006, 05:27 PM
I'm sorry ,Jenny, believe me I know what you're going through. I'd take a combination of MammaSilva's advice and those that say you should plan your next trip. I know just checking out prices on Expedia for possible trips gives me a lift. It reminds that one is surley coming, if not sooner .... then later.

I'm one of those that puts a little aside from every paycheck for our trips. Sometimes it's only ten bucks, sometimes it's a hundred, but I never miss a pay period and it adds up pretty quickly.

Sending you hugs.

pisces
11-09-2006, 07:42 PM
How about considering this: It's less exciting this year than it was last year with the 50th stuff.....which itself, was less exciting for me than 2004!

It feels that way. The tree doesn't look as lush enough, or thick enough as last year (too skimpy), they are playing around with parade times, the monorail won't go all the way, the carpet in GCH lobby is ho-hum, Libby Lu is boarded up (eyesore)....

Something about this year feels ....just off, compared to previous years, in my opinion, judging from pictures I've seen.

That make you feel better?

I'm upset too, because I have way less money this year and may have to cancel my NYE portion.

That being said. Give yourself something to look forward to during the times when you would have been there.

Make a list of your favorite movies, and watch 'em, or as many as you can on those days.

What can you do, as a fun distraction on those days.

What do you love?

There must be something , or many things, that you love in life, just as much, or even more than Disney.

Start making lists of your favorite activities and see which you can engage in on the days you would've been in the Park.

rentayenta
11-09-2006, 08:18 PM
You guys and gals are the best!

cstephens, we were supposed to be there Dec. 11-18. :crying:

Helen, I am all therapied out. One of the prerequsites of my practicum is that we do therapy. One of the reasons I came here is because most people don't "get" Disneyland like we do. I realize I am feeling a sense of loss over quite a few things but Disneyland is the loss thats getting a lot of the focus.

After much thought I think some of it has to do with the need to get away from the stress. DH has been able to get away twice, once for work and once for fun, but he got to go and think about other things, unwind, etc. While I know how lucky I am to be in my new house it doesn't negate the fact that I am sad over this.

I think planning another trip for a more realistic time might be just what I need. Something is missing when I am not planning a trip to Disneyland. Is it too early to start planning for 2008?

Thanks so much to those who shared their stories and insight. It means more than you know!

Pirate Princess
11-09-2006, 08:20 PM
Is it too early to start planning for 2008?

You're kidding right???
It's too early to be planning for 2011. 'Nough said.

pisces
11-09-2006, 08:55 PM
The more time you give yourself to plan ahead, the more time to savor the anticipation.

The days are going so fast now, that I get a little bummed out knowing that it's gonna all be over soon.

That's the big problem with people who go in December.......the closer you get to it, the more bummed out you become because you know it's going to be over that much sooner. And the days going by so fast...you just want time to stop so you can take a breath and take it in. I wish I could hold onto that feeling of anticipation forever.

Does that make sense?

I was excited in September, and maybe October...for my Holiday trip..

...but now that it's becoming a reality, and the days are just going by so fast....it's all going to be over.

You lose that sense of savoring excitement and anticipation the closer it gets..

Malcon10t
11-09-2006, 09:09 PM
Oh man, 43 days til we leave. I have actually 2 other trips in the works. Planning, I love all the planning. I drive my kids nuts with "This hotel or this hotel?" "Fantasmic! seating?" (thats a duh). Oh, and who will be going...

Dec - Me, kids, their dad, their cousins on the ex's side, etc.... and Dog #3

Mar - Us, my bro and SIL and their 3yo without their infant twins (will be born end of Dec, stay with grandma for a couple days.) Dog #3 and maybe Dog #4

June - Us and my nephew (3) and niece (5) Dog #4

Crazy4DL
11-10-2006, 08:25 AM
You lose that sense of savoring excitement and anticipation the closer it gets..

You do?!? No one told me! :D ;)