PDA

View Full Version : A few questions for an upcoming trip

atalmi
11-07-2006, 09:06 PM
Haven't gone to the happiest place on earth for a while, so we're definitely looking forward to it. We will be going the week after Thanksgiving, starting that Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend... will this be a 'crowded' week or an off week?

We are staying at Dolphin's Cove. We used to always drive and park at Disney, but want to try the bus. Anyone have advice/experience with the bus near Dolphin's?

Lastly, we live in Southern Cal, but I haven't updated my driver's license with our Southern Cal address... we'd like to upgrade to AP - the Southern Cal one... what do I need to bring with me to prove that we live in the area? Should I go to DMV and get some paperwork?

Thanks everyone!!

WITron
11-08-2006, 12:30 AM
We stayed at the Dolphin Cove last Dec and loved it. We rented a car, so that wasn't an issue for us. It is on the "N" ART line, so that may be an option. We really loved our stay there and when I go back in April, I will be staying there again. The nice thing was it was like staying in an apartment and not in a hotel. Take advantage of the activities at the resort, and there are also grills that you can use. All you do is ask for the grill utinsels.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
11-08-2006, 06:27 AM
We stayed at Dolphins Cove twice a couple years ago. Our first experience there was great. They are old apartments turned in to time shares/rentals as a hotel. We had a 2 bedroom 2 bath and it was clean and quiet. So the next year we booked there again, 1 bedroom this time, and it was terrible. My DH pulled out the hide a bed for my teen stepson to use and there was waded up sheets in it, and in the sheets was a woman's nightgown. There were several trails of aunts going from the kitchen out and under the front door, reminding me of a Bugs Life, and it stunk so bad of cigarette smoke. The bathroom didn't look like it had been cleaned in ages. We complained and they told us the 1 bedrooms were booked, but we could pay the difference to upgrade to a 2 bedroom. My DH was furious. They wanted us to pay for the upgrade because their room was not up to standard. Finally after wasting lots of time arguing with upper management, we got them to agree to give us the 2 bedroom at no additional cost, we ended up back in the building we had been in the first time and it was ok.
I know that things happen, and we would have been ok with just having to move, it really didn't look like the room was ready for anyone to stay in, like they didn't know we were coming. But the terrible customer service turned me off.
They did have a lot of activities and the pool area was nice. The breakfast was good and I remember seeing the BBQs.
We also took the ART. It was, as all ART buses are, crowded in the mornings and at night. We did walk, on our last day at the park, we closed it down and then ate dinner in DTD. It was a long walk and our feet were tired. I recommend getting a cab if you miss the bus. LOL

Malcon10t
11-08-2006, 07:15 AM
We stayed at Dolphins Cove twice a couple years ago. Our first experience there was great. They are old apartments turned in to time shares/rentals as a hotel. We had a 2 bedroom 2 bath and it was clean and quiet. So the next year we booked there again, 1 bedroom this time, and it was terrible. My DH pulled out the hide a bed for my teen stepson to use and there was waded up sheets in it, and in the sheets was a woman's nightgown. There were several trails of aunts going from the kitchen out and under the front door, reminding me of a Bugs Life, and it stunk so bad of cigarette smoke. The bathroom didn't look like it had been cleaned in ages. We complained and they told us the 1 bedrooms were booked, but we could pay the difference to upgrade to a 2 bedroom. My DH was furious. They wanted us to pay for the upgrade because their room was not up to standard. Finally after wasting lots of time arguing with upper management, we got them to agree to give us the 2 bedroom at no additional cost, we ended up back in the building we had been in the first time and it was ok.
I know that things happen, and we would have been ok with just having to move, it really didn't look like the room was ready for anyone to stay in, like they didn't know we were coming. But the terrible customer service turned me off.
They did have a lot of activities and the pool area was nice. The breakfast was good and I remember seeing the BBQs.
We also took the ART. It was, as all ART buses are, crowded in the mornings and at night. We did walk, on our last day at the park, we closed it down and then ate dinner in DTD. It was a long walk and our feet were tired. I recommend getting a cab if you miss the bus. LOLI have a question. I have a friend who is a member of WorldMark/TrendWest (the "owner" of these timeshares) and I know staying there as a timeshare owner, you don't get maid service. You are expected to clean up yourself. When you aren't a member, do they have maid service? I didn't particularly care for TrendWest myself when we stayed at another resort, so just wanted to get an idea about if you aren;t a member.

WITron
11-09-2006, 08:56 PM
You are expected to clean after yourselves to a certain extent. When we stayed a week, the maid service came in halfway through our stay and did their usual cleaning.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
11-11-2006, 07:34 PM
I have a question. I have a friend who is a member of WorldMark/TrendWest (the "owner" of these timeshares) and I know staying there as a timeshare owner, you don't get maid service. You are expected to clean up yourself. When you aren't a member, do they have maid service? I didn't particularly care for TrendWest myself when we stayed at another resort, so just wanted to get an idea about if you aren;t a member.

If I recall correctly, it depended on how long you were staying, how often the maid would come. But I believe it was every 3rd day, and I think that was only for trash and towels. We always did our own dishes etc., since it had a full kitchen.

DalOwnerx3
11-14-2006, 11:22 AM
We are Trendwest owners also. How far in advance do you need to book Dolphin Cove? Do all the units get gobbled up the first day they are available?

WITron
11-14-2006, 08:09 PM
I was able to get my reservation for a 1 bedroom in April about a month ago. I think alot of it has to do with the time of year that you are planing and how many bedrooms.