PDA

View Full Version : Does Disney Take advantage of their Cast Members?

snappy
11-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Do you think Disney in general takes advantage of their current CM's???
1. Disney knows there's 100 more people in line to take that job? True/false?
2. Disney is living off their reputation from the past? True/false?
3. Is there room to grow as a CM to support a family financially?
4. Which departments offer the best career? (Not speaking corporate)
*Not saying corporate pays well, does it?
Just something to think about.

adriennek
11-07-2006, 04:14 PM

I don't know if the following four questions correlate to this question but...

1. Disney knows there's 100 more people in line to take that job? True/false?

False - Unemployment in Orange County is very low right now. It's hard to find employees because there aren't people looking for jobs. And just because there might be people looking for work doesn't mean they'll bother to show up or perform at an adequate level. I know OC employers who have had a hard time finding people to apply for jobs let alone people that will stick around and do a decent job.

2. Disney is living off their reputation from the past? True/false?

How far back are you going? I'm not sure their reputation from the past decade or so is all that great.

3. Is there room to grow as a CM to support a family financially?

Maybe.

4. Which departments offer the best career? (Not speaking corporate)

It depends. Sometimes the best career opportunity requires spending time in a variety of departments in order to gain experience that makes a candidate more flexible in a management position.

Adrienne

The old man
11-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Yes. When a person applies to becomes a cast member they must sign a paper that states:

"To become an employee of Disney you must sign this paper to show you agree to the following:
1. You will not be told your starting salary or your earning potential.
2. You will not be told how many hours you will be hired to work.
3. You will not be informed about anything the job entails.
In short you must agree to work for us without knowing anything. It's easier for us to take advantage of you that way." :rolleyes:

coronado_g
11-08-2006, 03:45 PM
Yes. When a person applies to becomes a cast member they must sign a paper that states:

"To become an employee of Disney you must sign this paper to show you agree to the following:
In short you must agree to work for us without knowing anything. It's easier for us to take advantage of you that way." :rolleyes:

That's a good one Old Man!

snappy
11-08-2006, 04:43 PM

Now that's hilarious!!! Nice post!

Darkbeer
11-08-2006, 05:18 PM
There was a full page ad in Tuesday's OC Register Sports section advertising for new Disneyland employees

Now Hiring for full-time and part-time roles with starting pay rates of $8.20 to $11.90/hour

Starting rates vary with role

They are also offering a $500 bonus for busser/stewards that work a minimum of 90 days, but based on the rules, will need to be a few weeks longer, as they pay the bonus in two $250 segments, and you must be a current employee when they issue the bonus.

More info can be found here...

www.Disneyland.jobs (http://www.Disneyland.jobs)

Malcon10t
11-08-2006, 06:57 PM
It depends. Sometimes the best career opportunity requires spending time in a variety of departments in order to gain experience that makes a candidate more flexible in a management position.

AdrienneThis is very true. My niece started at Disneyland about 8 years ago working Main Street Stores. She said the work was awful. But it was brief as she tried out for Atmosphere Characters, and due to being very short, she became (along with her sister who signed up the next year) a very good friend with Mickey, Sorcerer Mickey, and Timon. Her sister was also friends with Minnie. That went on while she was in college. When she graduated, she moved up to the marketing department where she is now. (I have no clue what she does in marketing though, maybe I will ask next time I see her....)

TimBuk2
11-08-2006, 08:19 PM
What I heard is that Security is one of the better paying jobs inside the parks. But any of the jobs that are "behind the scenes", like painting, landscaping, and the like are better paying. Any of the attraction or food service jobs are on the lower end of the scale.

snappy
11-09-2006, 07:01 AM
What I heard is that Security is one of the better paying jobs inside the parks. But any of the jobs that are "behind the scenes", like painting, landscaping, and the like are better paying. Any of the attraction or food service jobs are on the lower end of the scale.

One would think the jobs on Stage would pay just as well since you're in direct contact with the guest? I would think Happy Cast Members would make Happy Guest in turn improve profit margin? Yes/No?
Or
People will always return to the parks regardless of CM's not working up to Walt's expectations?

potzbie
11-09-2006, 11:08 AM
[...]
"2. You will not be told how many hours you will be hired to work."
[...]

But this is literally true.

I applied at Cast Place off Ball Road, and filled out my form, and got the pro forma interview.

One aspect my interviewer emphasized, repeatedly, that the number of hours is not guaranteed, a minimum number of hours is not guaranteed, a maximum number of hours is not guaranteed, and the the shift is not guaranteed, and the days off is not guaranteed.

No day, no shift, is pre-determined. As an employee, you don't call the shots, and Disneyland management won't tell you the shot to be called.

The old man
11-10-2006, 05:21 AM
But this is literally true.

I applied at Cast Place off Ball Road, and filled out my form, and got the pro forma interview.

One aspect my interviewer emphasized, repeatedly, that the number of hours is not guaranteed, a minimum number of hours is not guaranteed, a maximum number of hours is not guaranteed, and the the shift is not guaranteed, and the days off is not guaranteed.

No day, no shift, is pre-determined. As an employee, you don't call the shots, and Disneyland management won't tell you the shot to be called.
If you apply for full time do you get full time?

hefferdude
11-10-2006, 06:42 AM
But any of the jobs that are "behind the scenes", like painting, landscaping, and the like are better paying.

Union.

Malcon10t
11-10-2006, 06:57 AM
Union.Attractions, Stores, and Foods are all union also.

hefferdude
11-10-2006, 08:03 AM
True. In regards to Timbuk2's post - I should have been more concise. Not to diminish any CM job, I am suggesting the following jobs gleaned from the Disney Job Site listing would most likely require a certification - training/apprenticeship - educational degree that would start a potential Disney employee at a higher labor grade and/or pay scale as determined by their specific union membership. Regards.

• Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Mechanics
• Carpenters
• Cosmetologists*
• Electricians
• Electronic Technicians
• Firefighter*
• Hotel Engineers
• Machinists
• Mechanics
• Nurses*
• Operating Engineers
• Painters
• Pest Control Operators
• Plumbers
• Security
• Welders

Bytebear
11-10-2006, 09:36 AM
I have a friend who has been in security for years and years, so he must like it. He even goes to Disneyland on his day off with friends. He is full-time hourly, so has a fixed schedule (M-F, days).

Class Bravo
11-10-2006, 10:04 AM
If you apply for full time do you get full time?

Hi there, I'm a long-time lurker and first-time poster. I worked in attractions at DL for almost five years before leaving in the summer of 2005.

In response to your question, the answer is no. It is *extremely* difficult to become full-time, at least in the attractions department. People who have been working there for years and years will still only be given part-time status or CR status, which is one step below part-time. When I was a working lead I had a crew of around forty to fifty people (altogether, not all working at once of course), and of those people I had maybe, maybe two full-timers. It takes years and years to get into a full-time position, and being hired into a full-time position is not possible. They will initially hire you into CT, CR, or possibly part-time if you're lucky.

And yes, the person who previously posted was correct--you must sign paperwork indicating that you are not guaranteed a number of hours of work or guaranteed hours.

jcruise86
11-10-2006, 02:34 PM
Yes, but I heard that at least Disneyland usually offers to make them breakfast the next morning.

just beatla33
11-10-2006, 03:20 PM
every job takes advantage of their employees

SDMom
11-10-2006, 03:28 PM
^^amen to that. At least the scenery is better at DL than my office.

Noxx
11-10-2006, 03:34 PM
It's pretty difficult to make a blanket statement about employment conditions at DLP because the different divisions have such wildly differing needs when filling their openings. Sure in attractions or food service it's difficult to get a "Full Time " status because the park considers most of those positions transitory, and for younger employees. In other words, they don't expect you to stay, so why spend the money on your benefits, etc. Corporate cost preservation at it's finest.

Personally, I work in attractions maintenance (electrician) and I can tell you it's a whole different story for Full-time, long term employees, and we're treated fairly well compared to many similar positions.

Class Bravo
11-10-2006, 04:13 PM
One would think the jobs on Stage would pay just as well since you're in direct contact with the guest? I would think Happy Cast Members would make Happy Guest in turn improve profit margin? Yes/No?
Or
People will always return to the parks regardless of CM's not working up to Walt's expectations?

In my experience, the only jobs that were well-paid were the ones that required prior training or accredation, i.e. machinists, electricians, RNs, firefighters, and the like, since these people are professionals and can demand professional wages. Jobs such as attractions and ODV, as far as the DLR is concerned, can be performed by pretty much anybody they can hire off the street with only a few days of training.

missmonkey
11-10-2006, 04:32 PM
Yes, but I heard that at least Disneyland usually offers to make them breakfast the next morning.

Ha!

rosie
11-10-2006, 05:06 PM

HA HA