gautry
05-20-2002, 01:35 PM
Eisner Donates $7 Million To CSUN
Money To Establish Training Center

to see the story
www.csun.edu

tabacco
05-20-2002, 05:59 PM
Okay, and that would necessitate altered weather patterns in the afterlife why?

Uncle Dick
05-20-2002, 07:15 PM
I believe the implication here is that Michael Eisner is so miserly, he would never donate a penny to anyone. Fact is, Disney is a very charitable organization. And to steer this totally off-topic post back into the realm of the DLR, they encourage Disneyland employees to give back to the community with the whole VoluntEARS program.

Ace
05-20-2002, 07:30 PM
[EXPLETIVE] freezes over wen innoventions is worthwhile.

Uncle Dick
05-20-2002, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Squinky
[EXPLETIVE] freezes over wen innoventions is worthwhile.
I think it's worthwhile to have (limited) internet access at Disneyland, especially when I'm looking for somewhere to eat off-site. Some of the exhibits are mildly entertaining and the video games upstairs provide hours of mindless excitement. The view from the 2nd floor is very nice at night, especially when the Observatron and the old Cosmic Waves were working. So it is worthwhile to some people.

tabacco
05-20-2002, 09:10 PM
Don't forget the Cast Fund :)

Nigel2
05-20-2002, 09:48 PM
I saw it in the paper, he isn't doing it all at once, it's over 5 years plus he is going to write it off anyway.:D If I remember correctly he said it was to train teachers.

cstephens
05-20-2002, 09:57 PM
Hell has already frozen over. I have the sweatshirt and the CD to prove it.

And Eisner isn't the monster that so many people like to claim he is. But it apparently suites their purposes to keep claiming that.

merlinjones
05-21-2002, 05:39 AM
Please... what does this kind of activity have to do with character?... It's all about tax relief for the wealthy. If they could keep all the money with out the need of tax shelters, this sort of donation would never happen. Thank the IRS.

Two words: Polly Harrington.

EandCDad
05-21-2002, 05:59 AM
I'm gonna have to agree with Merlin. :eek: This is mostly about tax planning and PR. If Eisner (or any wealthy person) gave money that actually changed their lifestyle in any way (the widow's mite if you will) that would be a news story.

Still though, whatever the motivation of the giver, a worthwhile group gets some bucks, which is nice.

hbquikcomjamesl
05-21-2002, 08:46 AM
If Eisner (or any wealthy person) gave money that actually changed their lifestyle in any way . . . that would be a news story.

Or perhaps not. If somebody was truly beggaring himself or herself to give purely for the sake of making a difference, with no interest in applause, good PR, tax write-offs, or any other personal gain, they may very well want to keep quiet about it. Consider:

Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven. Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth: That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.
--The Gospel According to St. Matthew, Chapter 6, Verses 1-4, The Holy Bible, KJV.

Besides which, if one has a reputation for sacrificial generosity, one might end up with everybody begging at one's doorstep.

EandCDad
05-21-2002, 09:58 AM
Good point. There are people who give to the point that they must sacrafice, they aren't generally wealthy, and occassionally it becomes news (although generally not because the person wanted it).

Just to clarify, I wouldn't expect that someone would give to the point that they themselves are in need of charity. My point was, that Eisner, Gates, and others in that wealth level do not have to change their lifestyles in anyway when giving the money away that they do. Its a non-effect, they could give 10 cents or 10 million and the personal impact is exactly the same, nothing.

Again, if a nice worthwhile needy group ends up getting the money, I could care less about their motivation, but its not really a character issue, as Merlin mentioned. Sacrificial giving might be considered that way. For some people, giving $10,000 could be considered more the sign of good character then Eisner giving $7 million.

gautry
05-21-2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick
I believe the implication here is that Michael Eisner is so miserly, he would never donate a penny to anyone. Fact is, Disney is a very charitable organization. And to steer this totally off-topic post back into the realm of the DLR, they encourage Disneyland employees to give back to the community with the whole VoluntEARS program.

I know disney is big on charity it schocked me that esiner gave that chuck of change