PDA

View Full Version : Blue Bayou Lunch Review

going2disneyAZ
11-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Who: Me, DW, DS1 (3 yo), DS2 (18 mos), my mom

We had 11:50am PS for lunch. We arrived at 11:20am and requested a waterside table. I told the hostess we would be willing to wait and she said we probably would need to wait.

At 11:30am we were sitted. Not waterside but close enough. I mentioned to the CM that seated us that we wanted to wait for waterside. He said we couldnt that it would be at least a one and half hour wait for waterside. Well the kids were being good and like I said we were close to water and could see the boats so I let it go.

We sat there for over 20 minutes and no one came with water, bread, drink order or anything. Finally I stood up and nicely asked a CM to check who our server was. About 10 minutes later we got bread and our waiter showed up. He asked if were ready to order lunch. I told him we wanted to order drinks first. He said that he will take the entire order now or else we wont get our lunch....

I thought this kind of rude, especially for the prices this place charges. This guy was taking our order like a McDonald's drive through.....

DW ordered the Mahi Mahi with wedge salad, I ordered the Jambalya with gumbo, and my mom ordered the Portobello Mushroom with wedge salad. I got a kids chicken dish for the kids to share.

The salads were good and my gumbo was great.

My mom and DW were very happy with their selections. I thought the Jambalya was terrible.

The kids absolutely would not touch their kids chicken meal. This restaurant really needs to rethink their children's menu. Chicken Strips PLEASE. Is this the only restaurant in DLR that does not have the kids Chicken Strip???

For desert we ordered a cookie boat to share. VERY very good.

At this point I paid the bill. I really wanted to stiff the waiter and hand deliver a tip to the gal that brings the bread and drink refills and the gal that was our bus person. They were great. Our waiter (Rudy) was rude, inefficient, and belonged at a Denny's not at a high end resort restaurant.

Bottom line: not worth the money to me. I can put up with high prices and ok food with excellent service. But when the service is lacking, no way....

I can understand how DLR is having a hard time attracting top notch CMs to the park but with BB prices I have to think that the wait staff is pulling in tips comensurate with the surrounding area. Why can't they attract top notch wait staff?

Atom805
11-07-2006, 01:42 PM
We had the SAME problem when we went in August. The food was good but the service was horrendous. It was primarily the waiters fault and not so much anyone else. We have decided to avoid the BB for now and do the Bengal BBQ for lunches and splurge on a nice dinner somewhere on Disney Walk.

snappy
11-07-2006, 03:54 PM
For the price the BB is not what it use to be. Disney knows they don't have to staff(bottom line pay well) the most polite people/cast members because people will continue to eat there and pay the price$$ Let's all think about it?? Increase our bottom line without shelling out more $$ for staff, sounds like a plan to me. Disney's reputation will out last our life time and so will the terrible service. Just feel bad for those CM who really do care and get lumped into the mess..

momtoo2
11-07-2006, 04:10 PM
Gosh I saw your thread and thought well maybe this will help me determine if we will go with a PS for BB. Nope....guess not :) We have as a family only eaten at the BB once and were seated at a too small table by the kitchen door and it was in a word Poor. It really is too bad as I remember going here as a child with my parents and it was so wonderful...

TimBuk2
11-07-2006, 08:54 PM
I had dinner at BB twice in the last month and both times were great. The food was very good, and the service was above average. I think it just depends on who's working, and what manager is on staff.

I had the Filet Mignon the first night, and the Mahi the 2nd night, both were excellent. And the desserts were awesome.

For me, 20 minute "ignore time" when seated does not deserve a gratuity at all. I don't know the quantity on staff during lunch, but at dinner there was a bunch.

Oh yeah, and I now remember the 2nd dinner they did not have our names on their computer. I made the reservations 10 days in advance. But they took us anyway almost without question.

11-08-2006, 04:06 AM
I think it just depends on who's working, and what manager is on staff.

But the restaurant business is all about consistency, consistency, consistency. A restaurant is only as good as the last meal you had there. This is Disney, not a mom-and-pop operation. There is no excuse.

just beatla33
11-08-2006, 06:59 AM
We go there all the time, and have always been treated really well and never had a single problem yet. I think it maybe just luck of the draw. It has to be.

going2disneyAZ
11-08-2006, 10:39 AM
For the price the BB is not what it use to be. Disney knows they don't have to staff(bottom line pay well) the most polite people/cast members because people will continue to eat there and pay the price$$ Let's all think about it?? Increase our bottom line without shelling out more $$ for staff, sounds like a plan to me. Disney's reputation will out last our life time and so will the terrible service. Just feel bad for those CM who really do care and get lumped into the mess..

But in the restaurant business wait staff live off tips NOT their small hourly wage....so at the prices BB charges and how busy they always appear to be, they should be able to attract top notch wait people. Why dont they?

-do people not tip as well because it is in a theme park?
-does that lack of alcohol service dramatically affect the average bill amount?
-are the hours less than other higher end restaurants in the area?

Rhiannon8404
11-08-2006, 11:50 AM
Our last 2 visits were disappointing. This coming trip is the first trip ever where we will not be dining at the Blue Bayou. I'm sad, but I'm not going to waste my money on Ok food and sub-par service.

TikiTiki
11-08-2006, 12:12 PM
We've crossed the BB off our list for this years trip as well. :( As far as I can see, the general consensus is that it simply isn't any good at all anymore. At least at some of the little food carts and kiosks, I knew what I was getting into. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. For the money.. I just don't think it's worth the gamble.

Atmosphere is great, decor lovely.. But what a waste of time, money and hungries if it's going to be that disappointing overall.

Such a shame, too. We looked forward to at least a lunch and/or dinner there every trip.

TimBuk2
11-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Our last 2 visits were disappointing. This coming trip is the first trip ever where we will not be dining at the Blue Bayou. I'm sad, but I'm not going to waste my money on Ok food and sub-par service.

I highly recommend Granville's at the Disneyland Hotel. It's quite elegant and the food was FANTASTIC. Service too was the best. It is a little expensive, but how often are you going to be there ?

TimBuk2
11-08-2006, 07:31 PM
We've crossed the BB off our list for this years trip as well. :( As far as I can see, the general consensus is that it simply isn't any good at all anymore. At least at some of the little food carts and kiosks, I knew what I was getting into. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. For the money.. I just don't think it's worth the gamble.

Atmosphere is great, decor lovely.. But what a waste of time, money and hungries if it's going to be that disappointing overall.

Such a shame, too. We looked forward to at least a lunch and/or dinner there every trip.

I know the menu has changed somewhat, the fish and steak I had was great.

TimBuk2
11-08-2006, 07:34 PM
But in the restaurant business wait staff live off tips NOT their small hourly wage....so at the prices BB charges and how busy they always appear to be, they should be able to attract top notch wait people. Why dont they?

-do people not tip as well because it is in a theme park?
-does that lack of alcohol service dramatically affect the average bill amount?
-are the hours less than other higher end restaurants in the area?

I understand the fact of "living off" tips, but they know it too and should work hard to earn it. Same as being a salesman, if you're lazy you won't get the big sales and paycheck.

Sitdown service should be the same wherever you go. That place is always busy, maybe they do have a problem with a lot of turnover with staff. I know Walt would be dissapointed with a lot of things in the park, especially the food service.

Wendi
11-08-2006, 09:10 PM
He said that he will take the entire order now or else we wont get our lunch....

Wow, wow, wow... I think I would've walked out if a waiter said that to me!

MrsPooh
11-09-2006, 09:48 AM
I haven't been since the "upgrade" in prices and such, but the last time we went, the food was mediocre. I refuse to pay good money for a mediocre meal.

Now, since the prices have skyrocketed, I know for sure we won't be having dinner there. Dessert maybe, but that would be it.

And I agree with Helen. There needs to be consistency.

Katran
11-09-2006, 10:26 AM
Wow, I've eaten at the BB each year for the past 3 years (the last time just this past March) and have never had a poor experience. I was always seated no later than 20 minutes after my reservation time, even when waiting for a water table, the wait staff was always incredibly friendly, and I think the food is quite good.

Of course, I've never gone right at lunch or dinnertime. I refuse to do so.