PDA

View Full Version : Surprised to see a "New" Train

Techie7
05-20-2002, 11:18 AM
Upon entering DL after the MadScramble I noticed that the trained looked quite different. It appeared to have box cars and a cabose. Cemeinke said that he had seen it before but not for a few years. I thought it was interesting that another train was out making the rounds. I think it was Engine No. 4- The Ernest S. Marsh. Not positive I will need to find my pictures of it or ask for confirmation from someone else.

lilblckrncloud
05-20-2002, 11:25 AM
When I was waiting out by DCA for the rest of my team members, my husband pointed the train out to me and said it looked different to him. I said that they have more than one train, so maybe he just hadn't seen it before, but he insisted there was something very different about it. I will have to tell him that there really was! :D

adriennek
05-20-2002, 01:19 PM
Just FYI-- the Marsh runs frequently. Last time we were at DL for tourist-like purposes (as opposed to sitting at a table in DCA all day passing out pieces of paper to people and rubber stamping score cards,) the Marsh was pulling the Holiday train cars (the sideways facing passenger cars.)

Adrienne K

Ace
05-20-2002, 06:08 PM
what's the difference between the sideways cars and the forwards cars? I like the sideways ones more...

Techie7
05-21-2002, 01:06 PM
I had seen the engine but not the cars. Sorry if that was unclear. Here is the picture I took of the cars. Unfortunatley I seem to have lost the picture of the cabose.

http://homepage.mac.com/techie7/52102c.jpg

MonorailMan
05-21-2002, 06:57 PM
The caboose is Red with a Light-Green interior, has two round silver speakers (bad sound quality), also has a cupola (locked when I was on it), 8 (total) Remain Seated signs, 2 DLR logos, front area holds about 16, cupola holds about 4, back holds about 5, thats 25 people total. :)

ldsguy
06-03-2002, 09:20 AM
That train is out from time to time, usually on the busier days, and ocassionally on the really slow days when they are only running one or maybe two trains at the most.

smd4
06-10-2002, 09:13 AM
That train is not "new." In fact, it is the oldest train at the park. These cars are the original "Retlaw 2" cars that debuted at DL in 1955, along with the enclosed cars known as "Retlaw 1." The Retlaw 1 cars are now owned by a collector in San Luis Obispo.

The Retlaw 2 train, comprised formerly of cattle cars and gondolas (and the caboose) were modified by removing the slats from the cattle cars on the park side, and with the addition of red and white striped awnings. Known by cm's as the "Red," it can be pulled by any of the four engines, and is not necessarily assigned to No. 4, Ernest S. Marsh. It still bears numbers in the "200" series. The addition of two gondola cars in the past has made the caboose, formerly numbered 206, the only car on the DL line to ever have been re-numbered, to 208.

The only train with forward facing seats is the "Excursion," which is presently undergoing rehab (along with the princes of the line, the Lilly Belle. It is the quickest loading of the trains.