PDA

View Full Version : King Arthur Carrousel

cemeinke
05-20-2002, 10:54 AM
Yesterday I saw the remains of the King Arthur Carrousel and I was shocked at what was left to be seen. It looked like someone had taken a chainsaw to the place. A mangled spire with dangling bits of wood and steel, a semi-circle of rotted wood - It appears there's more demolition work than refurbishment going on here. I'll try to get some pictures of it today.

We may get a "King Arthur Carrousel" again, and hopefully they salvaged some of the horses from the original - but it sure won't be the King Arthur Carrousel that closed dwon several months ago. :crying:

Techie7
05-20-2002, 11:39 AM
Just announced from Disney:

From the people that brought you shows such as Luminaria, Steps in Time and Light Magic comes a new and exciting character show to Fantasyland. "MAYPOLE the Show" See all your favorite characters doing the MAYPOLE dance around the former pole for the Carrousel. Join us afterwards at the New and Improved Cosmic Waves minus the Waves, Water, and Fun where we will light a lightchaser each fifteen minutes in memorium of past attractions. :D

I agree with Cemeinke that this was the biggest shock of the evening in DL. Just very strange to see the carrousel in such a condition.

daannzzz
05-20-2002, 04:03 PM
I was there on Saturday and was rather shocked as well. I knew there were numerous topics on all the message boards about it being removed for complete refurbishment but had no idea it was to that extent. What I did like though was how much it opened up the area. If they relocated it somewhere else it would be nice to have all that open space with maybe some lawn and garden.

Nigel2
05-20-2002, 09:33 PM
Well the actual carousel was gone for a good amount of time before they even destoryed the canopy, you could see it was empty since the curtains didn't quite block the view.

tabacco
05-20-2002, 09:39 PM
I believe the horses are in storage.

Darkbeer
05-20-2002, 09:43 PM
But, at least they placed a canopy to hide the inside.....

They should have torn down the entire structure in one "overnight", so that the current "eyesore" wouldn't be there... I really hope that they get the rest of the outer circle, and the remaining canopy are removed as soons as possible (like, before the big holiday weekend....)

Disney's lack of caring about the "show" has increased lately, but this one takes the cake!!!!!:confused:

Ghoulish Delight
05-21-2002, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Darkbeer
But, at least they placed a canopy to hide the inside.....

They should have torn down the entire structure in one "overnight", so that the current "eyesore" wouldn't be there... I really hope that they get the rest of the outer circle, and the remaining canopy are removed as soons as possible (like, before the big holiday weekend....)

Disney's lack of caring about the "show" has increased lately, but this one takes the cake!!!!!:confused: This isn't a matter of not caring about the "show." Believe me, if they could have done it gracefully, they would have. They've run into major problems. As they started to uncover the superstructure, they found it in MUCH worse shape than they thought. So bad, in fact, that they are seriously having trouble figuring out how to get the whole thing down without it crashing down on their heads. They COULD just demolish it, but they, presumeably, would like to preserve some of the history, so they are working on finding a way to do it gracefully. So, until then, it remains.

skeleton@thewheel
05-21-2002, 07:12 AM
I was surprised to see the top of the carousel obviously CUT with a saw.... but then I think DIG mentioned that this was the first time it's been touched since DL opened...

let's just hope they bring it back!

daannzzz
05-21-2002, 07:19 AM
I wonder what they will replace the building with. I think it would look nice if the new carousel building was made of wood and was a little more in tune with the surrounding architecture. That is if the are going to be putting the carousel back at all.

Techie7
05-21-2002, 12:39 PM
I am posting these on behalf of Cemeinke who forgot his camera on Monday. The top of the canopy that was "hanging" off the top of the post is now gone. (Wish I had a picture of it still up because it looked BAD). Anyways Here are two pictures. http://homepage.mac.com/techie7/52102a.jpg http://homepage.mac.com/techie7/52102b.jpg

cemeinke
05-21-2002, 12:54 PM
Thanks Techie7!

Yeah, it asham we could get a pic from the night before when a jagged partial canopy was left behind. I swear it looked like a marauding orc army had swept through Fantasyland. The visual just made it clear that this had become a salvage and demolition job. I still hope they do a nice job with the new carrousel.

Darkbeer
05-21-2002, 03:44 PM
Here is a site that had some photos of the remaining canopy....

http://www.disneygeek.com/updates/2002_05_17_dland_resort/page3.htm