PDA

View Full Version : Quick thought on Million Dreams Promotion

Pages : [1] 2 3

The old man
11-06-2006, 09:21 AM
We were at CA on Fri. & DL on Sat. If I hadn't told my wife about the promotion she wouldn't have known it existed. I really couldn't see much sign of it either. Doesn't seem to be a great promotion when you have to seek it out. Very subtle.

Vegitabeta
11-06-2006, 09:46 AM
I think that might be a good thing, because if people don't know too much about all the cool prizes, then they won't be dissapointed when they don't win them!

Whittibo
11-06-2006, 10:24 AM
I think that might be a good thing, because if people don't know too much about all the cool prizes, then they won't be dissapointed when they don't win them!

Exactly!! My kids were thinking it was a given we would win, I wish I never would have told them about it. Winning something just for being at the right place, right time is a bigger surprise then knowing who to watch for and then be disappointed that you didn't get anything.

SDMom
11-06-2006, 10:26 AM

Agreed. We were at DLR for 5 days last week and didn't win anything. However, since we knew about the prizes, we were a little disappointed when we didn't get any. :crying:

We saw the CMs with the messenger bags everywhere and the mark of the beast, (dream fastpasses), on nearly everyone. (exageration to make the point)

I'm not a big fan of this promotion. It seems a little less "inclusive" than the Happiest Homecoming. It promotes dreams for a select few instead of for all who "visit this happy place".

And now before I get flamed, keep in mind it is possible to LOVE Disneyland, (I do), and not love everything that is done by its management.

The old man
11-06-2006, 10:33 AM
I'm not a big fan of this promotion. It seems a little less "inclusive" than the Happiest Homecoming. It promotes dreams for a select few instead of for all who "visit this happy place".

Exactly. But I think it's even a failure on its own terms. If you don't already know about--like from reading MousePlanet--you wouldn't even know it's going on.

olivia3boys
11-06-2006, 10:39 AM
My family won dreampasses on Sat morning. Wow, they are like gold. We used almost every one of them, at both parks.

It does feel awkward though. Kind of embarrassing. But I liked them so much that I'm hoping the DL resort will bring back the unlimited fastpass idea if you stay at a DL property.

I've never stayed at a DL property when I've gone (I like the BWPPI on Harbor) but that unlimited fastpass was such a valuable timesaver on Sat I think I'd stay at a DL property just to get it.

Rhiannon8404
11-06-2006, 10:47 AM
I have not told my son anything about the promotion. I don't want him to be wishing or hoping to win the whole trip. I kinda wish I didn't know about it.

The old man
11-06-2006, 10:56 AM
...I'm hoping the DL resort will bring back the unlimited fastpass idea if you stay at a DL property.

Unlimited or enhanced? I was not aware of unlimited.

SDMom
11-06-2006, 11:00 AM
I have not told my son anything about the promotion. I don't want him to be wishing or hoping to win the whole trip. I kinda wish I didn't know about it.

I didn't tell my kids either, however DH and I knew and wish we didn't. Its like grade school all over again, with the feeling of not getting invited to the cool kids party. :cool:

Boo's Mommy
11-06-2006, 11:30 AM
I agree. I told my DH about it right before we went on our DLR vacation and he was sooo upset with me for telling him about it because we never got anything. And he really, really wanted to win some dream ears. We weren't lucky enough to be at the right place at the right time.

Whittibo
11-06-2006, 11:32 AM
I didn't tell my kids either, however DH and I knew and wish we didn't. Its like grade school all over again, with the feeling of not getting invited to the cool kids party. :cool:

LOL!! I know that feeling!

When we were waiting for the Dancing with the Stars taping, they asked the girl before us and the one after us to do a short interview. My daughter and I were like, "what about us???" I admit, I said to my husband, "they only ask the Pretty girls". But boy, that was a flashback from grade school AND high school!

I think we all get our hopes up for something if we know it's possible. So it's better if we don't know and just get surprised. When we got the pins, not THE pins, but just special pins, we were elated! We were doing what every decent person would have done, and returned a AP and ticket to a CM so the person could get them back. And we were "rewarded" for it. I felt like I was on a cloud, so I do know the feeling of getting something for nothing really. It was nice. :)

tinker3
11-06-2006, 11:36 AM
We won the fastpasses on Friday as we were entering the Haunted Mansion. That was the 3rd day of our 4 day trip. I will admit that when I saw the Dream team in blue everywhere I was a little bummed that we had not won anything. However, I didn't tell my boys or our friends that we went to DL with, and when we all won they were so excited! My boys didn't even want to use the fastpasses (we used all the DL ones) because they thought they were so cool. I do think it's a great idea, if you don't know what it's all about, because then it's a extra bonus or cool suprise added to your trip.

SDMom
11-06-2006, 11:52 AM
I've been mailing my postcards so, there is still hope! I'd really like the Tink pins for my DD (6).

backsthepack
11-06-2006, 12:11 PM
I love the idea of this contest. If you win.....WOO HOO! If not, well that is ok. You were still at Disneyland, you still had fun! I am not telling my son anything about it at all. He is a typical kid and will want to win. If he doesn't know, he won't be sad.

LostBoy02
11-06-2006, 12:48 PM
I think the point Old Man is trying to make is not the fact that he didnt win, but that the promotion was not 'visible' enough.

Unlike the 50th, where it was basically plastered on any empty surface, if you went to DL w/o knowing about the Dreams promotion, youd most likely leave the park w/o knowing about it.

I havent been to the park since they began the Dreams promotion so I have no real opinion, but I always do like the chance of winning something. Ill be going in a couple of weeks so Ill have a better idea.

The old man
11-06-2006, 01:48 PM
I think the point Old Man is trying to make is not the fact that he didnt win, but that the promotion was not 'visible' enough.

That's it. What's the point of a major promotion that no one knows about? And worse I do think that those who know are going to be mostly bummed out because of the low win rate.

Tasmen
11-06-2006, 02:04 PM
I was there this last weekend (Friday & Saturday) and I really didn't see the Dream team out that much. I did, however, see quite a few families/couples with the fastpasses (made me happy for them, sad for me). That being said, we didn't really go around looking for freebies and still had a good time. But yeah, I didn't really sense a huge dream team presence this last weekend.

kohl
11-06-2006, 02:21 PM
Unlimited or enhanced? I was not aware of unlimited.

We were lucky enough to win the Dream Fastpasses one day. They really are great if you like the rides. They are a ONE time use for each ride and you can only use them on the day they are won. They have the date stamped on them.

backsthepack
11-06-2006, 02:33 PM
But isn't that "not knowing" part the best part of it? I mean, truly, lets say that you really didn't know anything about it. You were just on a regular old Disneyland vacation with the family. Wouldn't it be even more awesome to step off of a ride to find out that you won something when you didn't even know that the promotion was going on?

KarenW2
11-06-2006, 02:45 PM
we've been to Disneyland twice since this whole thing started and haven't won anything yet. We've had a couple of "encounters" with Dream Team people, but we didn't get anything.

All one did was say "Happy Birthday" (I was wearing my birthday button at the time) as he was running past us and the other just asked if we were having a good time (we'd just entered the park and were on Main Street).

I think maybe they're prejudiced against us because we DON'T have kids! Has anyone else who doesn't have kids gotten anything yet?

The old man
11-06-2006, 03:08 PM
we've been to Disneyland twice since this whole thing started and haven't won anything yet...
...I think maybe they're prejudiced against us because we DON'T have kids! Has anyone else who doesn't have kids gotten anything yet?
"Yet"? The odds are thousands to one against winning anything.

It's totally random. It has nothing to do with kids or not. The "prize patrol" does not chose the winners.

jcruise86
11-06-2006, 05:08 PM
For me what would be "magical" would be a special each day. If on Tuesday I could buy a popcorn for a buck, Wednesday a churro for $1, and Thursday a Mickey Mouse ice cream bar for $1. That would make me feel good and Disney would still be making a profit.

Malcon10t
11-06-2006, 05:58 PM
I think maybe they're prejudiced against us because we DON'T have kids! Has anyone else who doesn't have kids gotten anything yet?
The prizes are randomized. So, the computer printout spits out "Golden Fastpasses - Peter Pan exit at 1:47pm - 50 Fastpasses" So, at 1:47pm, the next 50 people exiting Peter Pan will get the Fastpasses. Has nothing to do with if you have kids.

disneygalforlife
11-06-2006, 06:20 PM
We won twice this weekend. Once Friday morning coming off Autopia we got the special ears and then Sunday morning on Autopia again we got the Dream Fastpass. They stand at the exit and get you when you come off. Concidence - I do not know. I was just happy to win!

Whittibo
11-07-2006, 05:49 AM
I've been mailing my postcards so, there is still hope! I'd really like the Tink pins for my DD (6).

Anyone see the Dream Tink pins yet? The ones we got weren't THE Tink pins. (they're on cards, not a lanyard, and say "one for you, one to give" So two of the same pins on one card in a sealed bag. I'll have to take a picture of our pins. It was just neat to get anything "special".

And I somewhat agree, that making the promotion visible would ruin the trip for some people. So it NOT being plastered all over the place, people don't know about it, but if/when they win, they're elated! And if they don't win, they don't know they missed anything. ;)