PDA

View Full Version : Curious New Lighting Towers... what are they?

SweenyTodd
05-20-2002, 10:38 AM
Posted about this once before, but no one responded.

So, there are these two new lighting fixtures up near Sleeping Beauty castle. I was hoping at first that they were for speakers, but this weekend I noticed that they've installed some kind of fancy spotlights.

Anyone have any idea what these are for?

cemeinke
05-20-2002, 10:46 AM
Not sure, but they're at about the same place the temporary snow & light towers were placed during Xmas time.

Now I also noticed that the strangely elevated trash can by the churo cart in front of the castle (the trash can rested on top of some short platform of no obvious use) has been replaced by a rather large and out of place faux-block piller. Anybody got a clue what that's about?

Techie7
05-20-2002, 10:57 AM
I was in the park again for the first time and a while last night with a bunch of MPers and also saw this. It is the first time I have seen intellegent lighting outside of a theatre venue for Disney. I wonder if new lighting is coming to Believe. A nighttime revue show? Someone suggested that maybe they were looking at doing a televised concert inside the park. Does anyone know if they use them for Believe?

spacemtncastmbr
05-20-2002, 12:25 PM
i havent seen them yet, but are they maybe for the grad nites. so the club in front of the castle has good lighting and sound? when i work this grad nite ill go check and see if they are being used for the grad nite.

Techie7
05-20-2002, 01:06 PM
spacemtncastmbr: I think you are right. That makes perfect sense. I was trying to figure out why Disney would have lighting there. The only reason I could come up with was for a show or concert. I neglected to think about Grad Night and it looks like it is the right area for where they were doing dancing last year. Let us know if you confirm it.

Polar33
05-20-2002, 02:08 PM
I talked to one of the tech guys about the lighting trees one night when they were setting them up. He said that they are for a show that would be happening a few times a night during Grad Nite. I have yet to see the show but I heard that it has some low-level pyro as well as the lighting.

As for the whole trash can thing, I remember that there was a lamp post there one day and then the "trash-can-on-a-box" the next. The only use for the pedestal type thing that they have there now is when someone sticks their kid up on it for the parade. To be honest I preferred the trash can, it served more use and looked less out of place. Oh well, there is annother "trash-can-on-a-box" in Toontown now by the Go Coaster.

PhilMP
05-20-2002, 09:07 PM
The trash can on a box in front of the castle was a temporary measure after ODV knocked over a pole that used to be there. The trash can was a good idea, since Guests didn't put napkins or waxies on the ground, but threw them in the trash.

Now we have the weird thing, which just makes ODVs job harder by making the churro cart harder to push in at closing, and harder to place in the morning.

Oh well, a good thing replaced by a useless one. Kinda the way the rest of the things are going at Disneyland, isn't it?

Phil

LIMANDL4EVA
05-21-2002, 10:20 AM
wouldnt it be cool if it was a new element of beleive!

SweenyTodd
05-21-2002, 10:36 AM
I too was hoping it was a new element for Believe, but I now think it's probably going to be some lame disco lights for grad nights. Pretty hard to get excited about that unless you're a grad. *sigh*

What I was really hoping for was SPEAKERS. The volume during Believe right at the castle is pretty low. It barely cuts above crowd chatter. Of course, if I had my way, people wouldn't chatter during Believe at all. I think its as rude as talking at the movies. Just my 2 pennies and a half pence.

Lacrosse Boy
05-22-2002, 08:14 AM
I know what you are talking about. I absolutely HATE it when people chatter away in a theater, and you can barely concentrate, or for that matter, when you are Playing the Sims, and your little brother is telling you what to buy for them, and telling you what to do with them! :mad: