PDA

View Full Version : The Hungry Bear cat

Pages : [1] 2

jcruise86
11-05-2006, 08:58 AM
My daughter and I were hanging out under the Hungry Bear when this beautiful (Maine Coon mutt?) cat jogged through the tables. It ignored all the interested guests and went to the woods near the "river." Then it came back and seemed to be showing off as it jumped up to a rail and trotted up this rail to get to the floor above. It came back later and repeated its trip. At night we rode the Mark Twain and saw this cat sitting on a rail of the Hungry Bear watching us. One guest yelled, "Hey, it's that cat!"

1. Is this the animal sidekick of the guy who lives on TS Island?
2. At night does he/she become an elite, but mysterious crime fighter like the Dapper Dans?
3. Is it tolerated because it lives on rodents that Disneyland guests would not want to see?

Wendi
11-05-2006, 09:35 AM
There is quite a cat population at DLR and yes, they do cut down on the rodent population... watch out little Mickeys!!!

jcruise86
11-05-2006, 12:28 PM
There is quite a cat population at DLR and yes, they do cut down on the rodent population... watch out little Mickeys!!!
Where else besides the Hungry Bear have cats been spotted at the Disneyland Resort?

Yes, I like cats.

PAPACITO
11-05-2006, 12:45 PM
Where else besides the Hungry Bear have cats been spotted at the Disneyland Resort?

Yes, I like cats.
I saw 3 kittens yestraday at Brother Bear where som cast employses where giving food to them.:fez:

Tammy77
11-05-2006, 01:15 PM
We have seen them at downtown disney, tom's island, and at one of the places in new orlans square

MrsG
11-05-2006, 01:59 PM
I've seen them in FL by the Skyway building, NOS at French Market, Pizza Port and of course Hungry Bear. I've also seen at least 2 in DCA by the train.

Malcon10t
11-05-2006, 02:01 PM

Yes, I like cats.
On occasion, you can find one along the side of the Jungle Cruise. I have seen them back by the theater near ToonTown. Tomorrowland, near the RR station. Near the loading dock for the Mark Twain. Those are just a few of the places inside Disneyland I have seen cats.

ManaByte
11-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Disneyland adopts homeless kittens to live in the park and handle the rodent problem. There are tons of cats in the park and I'm not sure if anyone actually knows exactly how many there are.

mowsluver
11-05-2006, 02:38 PM
I remember that on our trip, a few years back, we were eating at the Hungry Bear, way in the back to get some peace and quiet, when we heard meowing. There were a couple CM's and a lady with a Disney nametag but in 'office' type clothing. They had 5 kittens in a carrier. They told us (because we were nosy and went to investigate!) that they were going in for shots/spay/nuetering and that they would be released back with their mom to live in the park. She said that they take care of the cats and in turn the cats take care of the park.
They were so cute! How cool would it have been to be able to take one home, and have a Disney Cat!!!

jcruise86
11-05-2006, 05:00 PM
I like this thread!

And I will buy half--no make that two-thirds of a churro for the first person who posts a photo of a cat at Disneyland! (Yes, you heard right! Yummy churro! The food Homer Simpson selected at WDW! Hey, it's probably more than you're gonna win through this Dreams promotion.)

Contest rules:
1. It must be obvious that the photo is taken in Disneyland.
2. You must go to Disneyland on Dec. 14 or another day I'm going, and meet us an our convenience.
3. You may not criticize or question the above or below rules.
4. The cat must be real.
5. TBA
6. TBA
7. TBA

Leofoenget
11-05-2006, 05:48 PM
My daughter and I were hanging out under the Hungry Bear when this beautiful (Maine Coon mutt?) cat jogged through the tables. It ignored all the interested guests and went to the woods near the "river." Then it came back and seemed to be showing off as it jumped up to a rail and trotted up this rail to get to the floor above. It came back later and repeated its trip. At night we rode the Mark Twain and saw this cat sitting on a rail of the Hungry Bear watching us. One guest yelled, "Hey, it's that cat!"

1. Is this the animal sidekick of the guy who lives on TS Island?
2. At night does he/she become an elite, but mysterious crime fighter like the Dapper Dans?
3. Is it tolerated because it lives on rodents that Disneyland guests would not want to see?

I saw a cat sitting on a canoe back in Sept. I asked someone and they said there are a ton of cats. Ferral I suppose. They need to catch and spay/neuter to keep the population down.

Whittibo
11-05-2006, 06:02 PM
This visit we didn't see as many cats as last year. We did see one in Downtown Disney at the tram drop off. But last year I had gone looking for them after reading about them here. Many were at the Hungry Bear. And we saw many over in CA, behind the train, before the restaurant, there's like a gully there, and they were just hanging out right there. :)

Malcon10t
11-05-2006, 06:51 PM
I like this thread!

And I will buy half--no make that two-thirds of a churro for the first person who posts a photo of a cat at Disneyland! (Yes, you heard right! Yummy churro! The food Homer Simpson selected at WDW! Hey, it's probably more than you're gonna win through this Dreams promotion.)

Contest rules:
2. You must go to Disneyland on Dec. 14 or another day I'm going, and meet us an our convenience.
4. The cat must be real.
5. TBA
6. TBA
7. TBAGo to Darkbeers photos. He has tons of them.

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/959512/5/44131183 Is just one.

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/959512/6 I don't think they appreciate Disneyland as much as we do though....

jcruise86
11-05-2006, 06:57 PM
Go to Darkbeers photos. He has tons of them.

Rats. (But thanks.) Maybe my daughter and I will get to meet the great Darkbeer!

tod
11-05-2006, 06:58 PM
I wonder what kind of formula they use to decide how many cats to sterilize. If they overdo it, no more cats. If they get it wrong, too many cats, not enough local wild food to eat, they start begging from guests, looks bad.

Glad I don't have to make that call...

--t

Malcon10t
11-05-2006, 07:04 PM
Rats. (But thanks.) Maybe my daughter and I will get to meet the great Darkbeer!
I posted links to a couple of his pics of cats (you don't have to search.) I know he has pics of the gorgeous calico and a tabby that hang out by Hungry Bear (my favorite.) But I can't find them right now.

Opus1guy
11-05-2006, 07:08 PM
I often take my laptop back to that area to do some work because its quiet and very beautiful back there. I've fed many of my cat friends that show up. I'm not sure its the same one...but if it is...he/she loves watermelon!

:)

Wendi
11-05-2006, 07:14 PM
I like this thread!

Contest rules:
4. The cat must be real.
5. TBA
6. TBA
7. TBA

Well, I think you'll have to give your 2/3 of a churro to someone else, but here is a picture I took in DCA near the "railroad tracks" in November 2004.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/sfquake@sbcglobal.net/album/576460762330890153/photo/294928803443680483/76

jcruise86
11-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Well, I think you'll have to give your 2/3 of a churro to someone else, but here is a picture I took in DCA near the "railroad tracks" in November 2004.
Thanks!
Unfortunately, unpublished rule #6 clearly states that the fractional churro is not transferable. If it were up to me. . .

jcruise86
11-05-2006, 07:30 PM
I wonder what kind of formula they use to decide how many cats to sterilize. If they overdo it, no more cats. If they get it wrong, too many cats, not enough local wild food to eat, they start begging from guests, looks bad.

--t
If the cat population gets out of control they can get dogs. And if the dog population gets out of control they can inform Cruella.

emmah
11-06-2006, 12:52 AM
Go to Darkbeers photos. He has tons of them.

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/959512/5/44131183 Is just one.

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/959512/6 I don't think they appreciate Disneyland as much as we do though....

that is one beeeeauuuuuutiful cat. and how satisfied he seems; how typical that even the stray cats at DL would look so lovely!!

Whittibo
11-06-2006, 07:53 AM
I thought I read that they adopt cats if they need more. That all of the ones they have there are altered?? Is that incorrect?

Leofoenget
11-06-2006, 08:23 AM

--t

So what if there are no more cats. Besides I doubt that will happen. If they really want cats they should sterilize and properly care for the ones they have instead of allowing them to breed like crazy, which will result in lots of unhealthy animals. If they dont then what happens is they catch and put down the cats because the population is out of control.

mowsluver
11-06-2006, 08:29 AM
I posted in this thread earlier that they DO take care of the cats...shots/spay/nueter etc.
We were able to talk to someone who had a crate with kittens in it and they were on their way to the vets.

Rhiannon8404
11-06-2006, 08:34 AM
I would imagine stray unaltered cats make their own way into the Disneyland population from time to time. I'm glad to hear Disneyland takes them in for a check up and spaying/neutering.