PDA

View Full Version : LAX or John Wayne [SNA]

Pages : [1] 2

joannabanana
11-04-2006, 06:15 PM
Hi guys!

Boyfriend and I just got back from a Halloween trip to D-Land. We are new AP holders and are eager to plan a brief Christmas-time trip.

We live in San Jose and are thinking of flying instead of driving this time. I was wondering which airport has a shorter commute to Disneyland- John Wayne or LAX? Does one of these routes have a better drive time during commute traffic? Also would anyone suggest a random shuttle service or renting a car? We are thinking of staying at the Hilton by the convention center.

Thanks in advance for any and all input. Have a happy day!

RocketRob
11-04-2006, 06:32 PM
John Wayne is much closer. The drive was Santa Ana to Anaheim is only about 20 min. Avoid LAX if at all possible. If it were me, I would rent a car. Depending on length of stay it is just as cheap to rent a car as it is to catch a shuttle or taxi not to mention more convenient.

disneyhound
11-04-2006, 06:34 PM
John Wayne is the closest airport to DL. Also, being smaller, it is not the zoo that LAX can be!!! For us, it comes down to price when booking, we like SNA, but LAX is often a lot cheaper, so we put up with the inconvience of LAX.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
11-05-2006, 06:11 AM
Unless you get a smoking deal on tickets to LAX, it would have to save me about $50 before I would consider that mess, fly in to SNA. The drive is only 20 minutes, without traffic, and the airport is smaller, cleaner and not near as hectic. You also have to factor in the extra gas (if you rented a car) or shuttle cost (I believe Super Shuttle is $5 more per person in and out of LAX to/from Disneyland area hotels). I would take Super Shuttle, to avoid the hassle of a rental car, you both could get to and from the airport for $40 roundtrip, so if you get a car for less than that, also factoring in the cost of gas, then that would be the cheaper route. If you get a car, and don't take the hotel shuttle to DLR, you need to factor in parking, which is at least $10/day, may be more, I haven't parked there since May 2005.
Another thing to consider, airlines get fined for cancelling flights in and out of SNA. The fine is hefty. The goal of the airlines is to make flights in and out of SNA happen, at all costs. While flight cancellations are not common, they do happen. LAX is notorious for cancellations, and congestion of planes waiting to take off, and park at a gate, which can cause delays and lengthen your travel time. If a cancellation happens on your trip, you could waste an entire day waiting for another flight, even as a paying passenger. I know about this first hand, as my husband is a commercial pilot, and we travel standby, cancelled flights stink for EVERYONE!

samkj
11-05-2006, 06:27 AM
Personally fron San Jose I would only consider SNA or Long Beach. Flying into LAX won't save enough time IMO over driving.

Hakuna Makarla
11-05-2006, 06:53 AM
Hi guys!

Boyfriend and I just got back from a Halloween trip to D-Land. We are new AP holders and are eager to plan a brief Christmas-time trip.

We live in San Jose and are thinking of flying instead of driving this time. I was wondering which airport has a shorter commute to Disneyland- John Wayne or LAX? Does one of these routes have a better drive time during commute traffic? Also would anyone suggest a random shuttle service or renting a car? We are thinking of staying at the Hilton by the convention center.

Thanks in advance for any and all input. Have a happy day!
fly down!!! we did last month from san jose and the tickets were 39.00 what a deal. go to john wayne, was closer and smaller. less hassle to!
renting a car is cheap, and you got the freedom to come and go, but again we do super shuttle or have friends pick us up :)

kenzmom2cu
11-05-2006, 07:12 AM
Southwest Airlines is running an internet special if you book before 11/14 and travel before 2/?/07. $49.99 each way. Anywhere in California. You have to travel within Cali.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
11-05-2006, 12:37 PM
Long Beach is another option. I haven't flown in to that airport several years, it is small than SNA, so even less hassle. I am not familiar with Super Shuttle servive there, but I would imagine they have it available.

I Heart Disneyland!
11-05-2006, 12:39 PM
If my air miles would fly me to John Wayne, I'd SO much rather land there than LAX!!!

kisroo
11-05-2006, 12:42 PM
I've done the drive from San Jose to DL. If you can find a good deal~fly.

As for airports, I'd go with John Wayne although I've heard some good things about Long Beach on this board. The next time we have to pay (we've used reward and companion tix the past few trips), I think I'll be comparing prices between flying into Long Beach or John Wayne.

I can't stand LAX and would pay quite a bit more $$ to get into SNA personally.

I love flying into SNA (John Wayne) and seeing the palm trees for the first time! :sigh:

~kisroo:)

sierranevada
11-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Hands down - SNA! My perferences are SNA, LGB, ONT, LAX. Southwest has lots of flights SJC-SNA. Shuttle is easy - $10/pp but I prefer taxi - flat rate of $35 and you go right to your hotel with no stops like the supershutte.

ima_mickeyfan
11-05-2006, 02:53 PM
I have to stand up for LAX, I have never had any problems with that airport. my flights have always been on time, security has held me up 1 time only, no big deal to that. I have never had to wait for our luggage either...I actually enjoy the drive from LAX to Disneyland, doesn't seem long at all...

Malcon10t
11-05-2006, 04:09 PM
John Wayne is much closer. The drive was Santa Ana to Anaheim is only about 20 min. Avoid LAX if at all possible. If it were me, I would rent a car. Depending on length of stay it is just as cheap to rent a car as it is to catch a shuttle or taxi not to mention more convenient.
Just a reminder, Hilton charges $12-17 per day for parking.

Tasmen
11-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Long Beach is another option. I haven't flown in to that airport several years, it is small than SNA, so even less hassle. I am not familiar with Super Shuttle servive there, but I would imagine they have it available.

Long Beach is my preferred airport to fly into from Seattle when going to Disneyland. It's a small airport so you can still show up an hour before your flight and have no real problems. It's also about 20 minutes away from the parks. All major shuttle services will pick you up at Long Beach. We've used both Super Shuttle and Primetime shuttle towncar services out of Long Beach and have been happy everytime.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
11-06-2006, 02:45 PM
Long Beach is my preferred airport to fly into from Seattle when going to Disneyland. It's a small airport so you can still show up an hour before your flight and have no real problems. It's also about 20 minutes away from the parks. All major shuttle services will pick you up at Long Beach. We've used both Super Shuttle and Primetime shuttle towncar services out of Long Beach and have been happy everytime.

I will have to keep that in mind for our December trip. I know that US Airways flies in there, but if I remember correctly it was their express service, which is the smaller airplanes, 50 passenger jets and while I don't mind them when I am alone, I don't like them for buckling in a carseat. I will have to see what they have going in there now.

joannabanana
11-06-2006, 10:59 PM
Thanks to everyone for your great responses!

Bytebear
11-07-2006, 10:42 AM
I prefer Long Beach, but just because I love JetBlue, and they fly into Long Beach. Haven't had any problems with John Wayne either. LAX is too far and too hectic for my tastes. Ontario is too far away as well.

going2disneyAZ
11-07-2006, 12:21 PM
Hands down - SNA! My perferences are SNA, LGB, ONT, LAX. Southwest has lots of flights SJC-SNA. Shuttle is easy - $10/pp but I prefer taxi - flat rate of $35 and you go right to your hotel with no stops like the supershutte.

Definately hands down SNA!!!

SNA, LGB, ONT, BUR, train, bus, covered wagon, horse back, camel back, walking thru the Yuma desert.....then if none of those choices were available, fly into LAX.

(I really really really dont like traveling thru LAX)

stan4d_steph
11-08-2006, 06:48 PM
Be forewarned that if you fly out of SNA, the line to get through security can be hellaciously long so plan accordingly.

TimBuk2
11-08-2006, 08:24 PM
John Wayne all the way. I used Prime Time shuttle service. [red vans] They were on time to the minute and the price was less than Airport Shuttle [blue vans]

TimBuk2
11-08-2006, 08:25 PM
Be forewarned that if you fly out of SNA, the line to get through security can be hellaciously long so plan accordingly.

This all depends on the time of day leaving O.C. Early morning is the worst, mid day has not been too bad, and I've never seen a line in the evening.

dan1964
11-09-2006, 06:47 AM
I've always flown in and out of John Wayne .. it's closer, and not that big. (As some airports in the area go). I've never had any issues with the security lines there ... but I always do try to get to the airport at least 2 hours prior to departure. :)

However, I think on my next visit, I am going to try Long Beach. Mainly because JetBlue flies direct from here to there. And I've heard so much positive about that airline.

stan4d_steph
11-09-2006, 06:50 AM
This all depends on the time of day leaving O.C. Early morning is the worst, mid day has not been too bad, and I've never seen a line in the evening.Very true, which is why I said it can be hellacious. I recently flew out around noon, and the line was quite long near the entrance to gates 8-14. I don't have the option of flying in the evening since I'm taking connecting flights between the coasts.

acpalmer
11-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Very true, which is why I said it can be hellacious. I recently flew out around noon, and the line was quite long near the entrance to gates 8-14. I don't have the option of flying in the evening since I'm taking connecting flights between the coasts.

So those of you who know John Wayne well, want to make some predictions for me? 8:15 pm flight on Wednesday the 22nd out of SNA (yes, I know that's the busiest travel day of the year and we have plans to be to the airport early regardless--we wanted to be back home to have Thanksgiving with family and so there it is) security lines will be...

squishumms
11-19-2006, 05:49 PM
Hey, just thought I'd give you some local perspective.

I'm from Gilroy and I've always had the best luck with John Wayne. It always seems that most people I've spoken to from the larger suburb areas automatically shoot for LAX. Going through John Wayne is the equivalent to flying into SJ's C Terminal six years ago.

Hope that helps you somewhat.