PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland mob

no1here
05-20-2002, 07:20 AM
Saturday 5/18 at Disneyland was crazy. We are not yet into the busy season but with all those attractions closed it sure felt like it. Without Splash Mtn, Big Thunder, small world, and the carousel, every one jammed onto the other attractions. I know we get spoiled on the off season, but the wait times were outrageous.

The other thing that really was disturbing were the que lines. For example in the Haunted Mansion - inside the ride while waiting to board the doom buggies there was trash all over the floor and it was only 3 PM not closing time where it would be more understandable. When I worked in custodial 4 years ago, this would have been unconceivable.

AHHHH. A very frustrating afternoon in the park.

Lacrosse Boy
05-20-2002, 07:35 AM
It really sucks when it is crowded, so when we get to go, we always go during the week, between Tuesday-Thursday.

MouseWife
05-20-2002, 07:40 AM
Crowded or not, people don't need to be slobs.

That is why they don't allow food or drinks on the rides.

Or sell gum.

What kind of crowd was there? Was there a special group or something? Either way, that is awful.

I bet that it was disheartening. Disappointing.

I hope it doesn't happen again.

blusilva
05-20-2002, 08:08 AM
It seemed crowded yesterday, too, in as far as lines went. Indy was down early in the day, on top of everything else and it just seemed like everything had lines that were far too long. Except for Mr. Lincoln, the train and Pinocchio, which were all we went on.

Being on the train made it seem really sad. We got to see a dark tunnel where the Splash finale should be, a completely ripped up Critter Country, a drained and unlandscaped Small World, not to mention the atrocious state of the paint and broken props in the Toontown train station. It was very sad.

Mr. Lincoln looked great though!

Pixie Glitter
05-20-2002, 09:45 AM
Yikes! This does not bode well for my upcoming trip. :( Hopefully they're planning on getting things spruced up (and operational!) for Memorial Day weekend so that by the time I get there on the 30th, things will be better.

Cause it's all about me, you know. :D

RideMax Mark
05-20-2002, 09:50 AM
I think that if they can get Splash re-opened on schedule it will help spread the crowds out a LOT this coming weekend. If you can make it in time for the 8:00 opening that should help too.

CaliforniaCrazy
05-20-2002, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by no1here
The other thing that really was disturbing were the que lines. For example in the Haunted Mansion - inside the ride while waiting to board the doom buggies there was trash all over the floor and it was only 3 PM not closing time where it would be more understandable. When I worked in custodial 4 years ago, this would have been unconceivable.

AHHHH. A very frustrating afternoon in the park.

You mean to say the trash is still there? I haven't been there for at least two weeks, and there was trash in the Mansion and around Disneyland walkways as well. That is why I decided not to renew my annual pass because they are letting both parks go like that.

daannzzz
05-20-2002, 10:56 AM
I was there on Saturday and there were many, many groups of kids 12-15 years old or so. I never could hear what groups they were. There was a "Heritage award cerimony" at Festival of fools. I heard a man talking about a news editors convention at the Disneyland hotel too. The lines were pretty long but the kids were (in general) well behaved. There was coke bottles and garbage rolling around on the floor inside of the Snow White ride. One group of kids screamed and chanted all the way through Pirates of the Carribean. It was odd though, having 3 major attractions down. I had no idea tha carousel building had been cut apart to remove it.

no1here
05-20-2002, 11:11 AM
I expect they will have all those attractions opened by next weekend.

The mess is what gets me more than anything. They must have severely cut back to custodial staff.

Sure HM looks great on the outside now with the new paint, but the trash inside? Litter attracts litter, if its not dealt with quickly it will build. People will think no one at the park cares about the trash, so why should they? Ahhhh!! Frustrating.

Uncle Dick
05-20-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by CaliforniaCrazy

You mean to say the trash is still there? I haven't been there for at least two weeks, and there was trash in the Mansion and around Disneyland walkways as well. That is why I decided not to renew my annual pass because they are letting both parks go like that.
Believe me, custodial works all night long cleaning up the parks and making sure that they're good as new every morning. If anything, it's the fault of messy guests who throw their trash on the floor. You should see the parking lots after everyone clears out at night. It's a complete mess.

socabch
05-20-2002, 12:15 PM
I was there on Saturday and there were many, many groups of kids 12-15 years old or so

I wonder if it was year end field trips for some of the schools. We stopped at the Chevron near 6 Flags on Sat about 8:30 a.m. and there were tons of buses with young teenagers on them.

I feel bad for the custodial crew. The crowds they have to work around just to do their job.

feb02
05-20-2002, 02:50 PM
We are now into Magic Music Days season (a.k.a "Magic Misery Days")
Various Jr. and Sr. high schools from around the country visit and compete with each other musically.

I had an AM shift Sat and I sure noticed the difference. It was as if the only people in the park were teens! Most were fine, but it's those annoying/immature ones that always stand out in your memory. My kudos to the patience and self-control that the Character CMs have!

SoCalSnowWhite
05-20-2002, 02:56 PM
I was planning for a Disneyland day on Wednesday, but my semi-muggle husband decided to switch schedules at work( don't get me started:mad: ) Anyway, which day of this weekend do you think it will be the least crowded? I'm thinking maybe Monday.

MouseWife
05-20-2002, 02:57 PM
I was going to ask if there were field trips or something.

Why do people think it is their right to drop trash?

I know the hotel maid will clean my room but I tidy up first. The family has just gotten used to it.

I think it is rude and disrespectful.

They might not even realize it but it is.

Just my .02.

DZNEENUT
05-20-2002, 02:57 PM
Actually you shouldn't feel sorry for sweepers since that is (was) our job. The problem is that huge crowds generate huge amounts of trash. Just to keeping the areas clear for safety reasons becomes hard. "Show" is the third priorty behind safety and courtesy, so sometimes rides get missed. Back sweeping through lines is VERY time consuming. Mansion is a little easier. Could be that there are less sweepers or they have become less motivated. The group I worked with years ago included a rather surley bunch back then. You never know.

PhilMP
05-20-2002, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by DZNEENUT
Actually you shouldn't feel sorry for sweepers since that is (was) our job. The problem is that huge crowds generate huge amounts of trash. Just to keeping the areas clear for safety reasons becomes hard. "Show" is the third priorty behind safety and courtesy, so sometimes rides get missed. Back sweeping through lines is VERY time consuming. Mansion is a little easier. Could be that there are less sweepers or they have become less motivated. The group I worked with years ago included a rather surley bunch back then. You never know.

Thank you for not blaming ODV, which is what half of custodial does anyway. :)

Saturday was extremely hectic, too crowded, too messy, too many kids screaming and yelling and in general annoying everybody. Oh well, Grad Nites are worse.

Phil

marron-cream
05-20-2002, 10:08 PM
Saturday was freaky... I never saw so many disgruntled guests in my life. Okay, that's an exaggeration, but tempers were high, especially in the shop I was working at. Lines for rides, lines to eat, lines to pay... ugh. I felt sorry for anyone who paid $45.