PDA

View Full Version : To be an AP...

yenko427
11-03-2006, 05:19 PM
We purchased 4 day hoppers (we are from WA State) and are considering upgrading to be Deluxe AP holders for $90 more. The Disney website is somewhat vague on what type of discounts you get at the resort for shopping and dining. I was also wondering what type of hotel rate discounts some of you have received at the resort hotels. I am just trying to figure out if it would be worthwhile for us to spend the extra money. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks guys.

disneychick
11-03-2006, 05:28 PM
I'm not sure of ALL the perks, but I can tell you that when we go next week, we're planning to upgrade 1 of our parkhoppers to a Deluxe AP early in the trip - the added cost for 1 pass will be $30, but will get us the 10% dining discount as well as the shopping discount (which I believe is also about 10% in applicable stores). Whoever has the AP will do all the food buying/souvenir shopping, thereby getting the savings for all of us. Over the 8 days of our trip, we will save a lot more than the $30 it's costing for the AP, so it will be well worth it.

Malcon10t
11-03-2006, 05:52 PM
I'm not sure of ALL the perks, but I can tell you that when we go next week, we're planning to upgrade 1 of our parkhoppers to a Deluxe AP early in the trip - the added cost for 1 pass will be $30, but will get us the 10% dining discount as well as the shopping discount (which I believe is also about 10% in applicable stores). Whoever has the AP will do all the food buying/souvenir shopping, thereby getting the savings for all of us. Over the 8 days of our trip, we will save a lot more than the $30 it's costing for the AP, so it will be well worth it.
Just to clarify, DAP's get 10% off of food and if you stay at the Resort hotels, 10% there. But, so do SoCal passes. Premium APs get 15% off food and 10% off merchandise. Some DTD shops also give various discounts, but read the fine print, its not always clear on the Disney website.

Gone2Disneyland
11-03-2006, 06:46 PM
^ To further clarify, the Deluxe AP does NOT include any discounts on merchandise purchases, just food purchases. The grid on the Disneyland AP site is pretty clear.

https://secure.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/ap/index?name=AnnualPassholderGatewayPage&appRedirect=http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/ap/gated/landing?name=AnnualPassholderLandingPage

yenko427
11-03-2006, 06:56 PM
Thanks Gone2, I missed the merchandise thing but see it now. I get lost in all this information..........

Darkbeer
11-03-2006, 07:15 PM
MouseSavers.com has a good list of AP discounts.

http://www.mousesavers.com/dltickets.html#annual

Disneyland.com has the best list, but you have to have an AP and be registered to see it... (IMHO, dumb, should be available to anyone thinking about buying an AP).

yenko427
11-03-2006, 07:21 PM
I thought you should be able to see a preliminary website too, to give you examples of what the benefits are in more detail. I think we are going to go to the Bank when we get there and see if they can enlighten us a little. I would love to see a sample newsletter or something like that. Thanks Darkbeer. I have been researching Mousesavers too and I agree so far, they offer the most info. about AP, as well as provide other valuable info.

Leap for Joy
11-04-2006, 05:38 AM
If you're planning to visit again within a year, the APs are definitely worth it.

If you're only upgrading for discounts during this trip, disneychick's idea of upgrading just one of the tickets makes sense. Even so, you'd have to plan to spend $900 in discount-worthy expenses for your $90 upgrade cost to even out.

hlbtimes2
11-04-2006, 07:53 AM
^ To further clarify, the Deluxe AP does NOT include any discounts on merchandise purchases, just food purchases. The grid on the Disneyland AP site is pretty clear.

https://secure.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/ap/index?name=AnnualPassholderGatewayPage&appRedirect=http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/ap/gated/landing?name=AnnualPassholderLandingPage

You do get a 10% discount at most of the non-disney stores in downtown disney.

Gandalf
11-04-2006, 12:24 PM
We purchased 4 day hoppers (we are from WA State) and are considering upgrading to be Deluxe AP holders for $90 more. The Disney website is somewhat vague on what type of discounts you get at the resort for shopping and dining. I was also wondering what type of hotel rate discounts some of you have received at the resort hotels. I am just trying to figure out if it would be worthwhile for us to spend the extra money. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks guys.
I was just wondering if you were thinking of upgrading to be Deluxe APs after you use up most the days of the tickets. If you intend to use them during the upcoming holiday season - deluxe APs are blocked on some of the days. The perks do add up pretty quickly with the APs though.

momuvseven
11-04-2006, 02:23 PM
Build A Bear Workshop in DTD gave us a discount with our DAP but I can't recall how much.

We were already getting food discounts with our AAA card.

We use our Disney Visa to get shopping discounts at the resort stores.

The biggest advantage for us has been the parking add on that we have on one pass and the ability to spend more days at the park. We used to buy four or five day park hoppers and the kids would be in the car all the way there and super eager to hit the park. We wouldn't want to cash in a whole day of our park hopper for a few hours so they would have to wait. Same thing on the day we have to leave for home. Now we get to go to the park right away, sometimes before we even check into our hotel. The day we leave we go for a few hours and that makes the drive home easier since they are worn out afterwards.

It depends on the age of your children too. Once they are nine they have to have an adult priced ticket.

kenzmom2cu
11-05-2006, 07:50 AM
So if you have A AAA card you just show it to the food places and you receive a discount?

Malcon10t
11-05-2006, 07:56 AM
So if you have A AAA card you just show it to the food places and you receive a discount?
Only some accept it.

The places you get AAA discounts (10%) are Goofys, Ariels, the Plaza Inn, PCH Grill, and Wine Country.

The places that accept the Disney Visa for discount are
Rancho del Zocalo
Carnation Café
Redd Rockett’s Pizza Port
Pizza Oom Mow Mow
Wine Country Trattoria
The Vineyard Room
Granville’s Steakhouse (from 6:00 pm -10:00 pm only)
Yamabuki
PCH Grill

APs get the discount at almost all restaurants but not ODV carts.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
11-05-2006, 07:51 PM
We too are from WA state, I just renewed my AP. If you are planning on going anytime in the next year, again to DLR, before your AP would expire, it is worth the upgrade. The discounts are nice, but they don't add to up to a lot, unless you spend a lot on food or shopping. But it can save you quite a bit if you have another trip planned in 364 days after your AP is activated.

I Heart Disneyland!
11-05-2006, 11:14 PM
We are also in WA state and find it's WELL worth the extra money for an AP. We typically go 2 or 3 times during our AP time, and get in at least 5 days per trip (10 days upcoming). We got the one with free parking too, because we like having our own vehicle at the park because I have a physical problem and need the handicap parking. It's so worth the extra money! I say...go for it. You get 10% in the shops and restaurants, and you save quite a bit with that alone. 15% off with the premium pass.

Here's a link for you... http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/ap/gated/APDiscountsLanding?name=AnnualPassholderDiscountsP age Hope it works, I had to sign in with my email address and password.