PDA

View Full Version : Advice on DLR parking please

allygal
11-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Hi all,

My husband and I are flying in from Canada and only have a small window to visit DL on Sunday, Nov. 12th from opening until 5pm. I am seeking advice on parking, from I-5 southbound. I realize that we'll be turning off to enter on Disneyland Dr. to access M & Friends structure. We have not been able to get tickets in advance and want to get in as fast as possible. Given parking opens at 7:30, gates at 8 and the 20 min to take the tram, we're at a real squeeze when you factor in the ticket purchase. So to my question: Is it possible to drive up to the entrance (or close to it), drop one person off then turn around and go back to the lot and enter it from the opposite direction? This was very difficult to see on that tiny map on the SL site.

Also, does anyone know what time ticket booths open? Couldn't find that info either.

Thanks to any DL pros that can offer advice. :)

Andrew
11-03-2006, 01:02 PM
So to my question: Is it possible to drive up to the entrance (or close to it), drop one person off then turn around and go back to the lot and enter it from the opposite direction? This was very difficult to see on that tiny map on the SL site.
Google Maps overview of the area: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1313+Harbor+Blvd,+Anaheim,+CA&ie=UTF8&z=15&ll=33.81071,-117.920165&spn=0.017544,0.042915&om=1&iwloc=addr

There's a drop-off area on Harbor just south of the bus entrance. You can drop someone off there, who can go in and buy your tickets.

From the drop-off area, turn right on Harbor, right on Katella, right on Disneyland Drive, and left on Magic Way. If the signs on Disneyland Drive say that the parking entrance on Magic Way is closed, stay on Disneyland Drive and make a U-turn at Ball Road.

allygal
11-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Thanks very much Andrew for the tips and map link. Do you know when the ticket booths would be open on an 8am opening day? Same time as parking?

Thanks again.

Koala Gurl
11-03-2006, 01:25 PM
Not a huge help, but if you don't mind a 10 minute walk, you can bypass the tram if the line looks long (the actual tram ride is pretty quick.) You can walk to the main entrance from the parking lot.

jdromeo21
11-07-2006, 04:33 PM
You know...if you can get to a mall with a Disney store, or even better, go to www.disneyland.com, buy the tickets in advance, then when you get there, go straight to the turnstiles.

I think you can buy online at disneyland.com The tickets at the mall (Disney store) usually give you a couple dollar discount...

LilysMom2003
11-07-2006, 05:08 PM
I second jdromeo's suggestion. I'd buy my tickets online so you can bypass standing in the line all together. One less thing to worry about.

allygal
11-08-2006, 09:43 AM
Thanks jdromeo and Lilysmom. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough time to have tickets delivered to Canada when we booked the trip. I called the ticket office and they said the line up for will call is usually worse than the regular ticket line. And sadly, the Disney Stores up here don't sell park tickets either. :(

I'll be battling my way through, nonetheless. Just have to get there as early as possible. Thanks again! :D

tod
11-08-2006, 09:53 AM
From the drop-off area, turn right on Harbor, right on Katella, right on Disneyland Drive, and left on Magic Way. If the signs on Disneyland Drive say that the parking entrance on Magic Way is closed, stay on Disneyland Drive and make a U-turn at Ball Road.

I would suggest this instead, utilizing the changes in bold:

From the drop-off area, turn right on Harbor, right on Katella, right on Disneyland Drive, and left on Magic Way. If the signs on Disneyland Drive say that the parking entrance on Magic Way is closed, go straight down Magic Way to Walnut, right on Walnut, right on Ball Road, right on Disneyland Drive and take the left fork into the Mickey and Friends parking structure.

--t
who does this a lot

Andrew
11-08-2006, 09:57 AM
From the drop-off area, turn right on Harbor, right on Katella, right on Disneyland Drive, and left on Magic Way. If the signs on Disneyland Drive say that the parking entrance on Magic Way is closed, go straight down Magic Way to Walnut, right on Walnut, right on Ball Road, right on Disneyland Drive and take the left fork into the Mickey and Friends parking structure.
tod, you are absolutely right. I'd forgotten that Magic Way goes all the way through to Walnut. Three right turns are much easier than a u-turn at Ball.

momuvseven
11-08-2006, 11:37 AM
Are you staying the night nearby on the 11th? If so then go over and buy your tickets that evening. You can watch the fireworks from the esplanade and tour downtown disney at the same time.

allygal
11-08-2006, 12:52 PM
Thanks tod! That helps a lot.

Thanks for the suggestion momuvseven. Unfortunately we are staying 40 minutes away so going down the night before isn't an option. Now what would be really handy is if Disney set up a ticket booth at LAX! Oh well, c'est la vie!

Bolivar
11-08-2006, 03:23 PM
Two years ago I got my tickets online, too late to have them mailed and had to get them at will call. I remember that I picked them up at a regular ticket booth and not at will call. I can't remember why that was however. I am trying to remember if will call was closed, or if I stood in that line and was told to go to a ticket booth. I do know that I expected to have to go to will call, that was what I was told I would have to do, but that I ended up at a ticket booth. I'm thinking I looked for will call, found it closed and then just tried to ticket booth, or maybe there is no will call, that will call tickets are just picked up at ticket booths.

SoCalSteven
11-08-2006, 03:26 PM
Two years ago I got my tickets online, too late to have them mailed and had to get them at will call. I remember that I picked them up at a regular ticket booth and not at will call. I can't remember why that was however. I am trying to remember if will call was closed, or if I stood in that line and was told to go to a ticket booth. I do know that I expected to have to go to will call, that was what I was told I would have to do, but that I ended up at a ticket booth. I'm thinking I looked for will call, found it closed and then just tried to ticket booth, or maybe there is no will call, that will call tickets are just picked up at ticket booths.
Will Call should be the windows next to the lockers and bathrooms west of the DL main gates. They do seem to keep odd hours though.

kimi911
11-08-2006, 03:43 PM
IN the past, I stressed about 7:30 parking, when the park opens at 8:00 In the summer they seem to have parking earlier), but you know you're going to be ok. People say every single minute counts, but I think being a couple minutes late into the park, if you were, wouldn't be the end of the world.

lizzydq
11-08-2006, 04:06 PM
Some supermarkets in the Orange County area sell Disneyland tickets now at the checkstand where the tabloid magazines, chapsticks, lighters, and telephone cards are sold (across from the candy nearest to the cashier). I think I've seen them at Ralphs and Vons. Give that a shot to save some time.

kimi911
11-08-2006, 04:28 PM
Some supermarkets in the Orange County area sell Disneyland tickets now at the checkstand where the tabloid magazines, chapsticks, lighters, and telephone cards are sold (across from the candy nearest to the cashier). I think I've seen them at Ralphs and Vons. Give that a shot to save some time.

Don't you have to redeem those at the ticket booths, when you arrive at Disneyland? No?

Malcon10t
11-08-2006, 04:42 PM
Don't you have to redeem those at the ticket booths, when you arrive at Disneyland? No?
Nope, you go straight to the turnstiles. Bring your receipt with you though in case they mess up and don't activate properly.

PAPACITO
11-08-2006, 05:26 PM
I dont think most people realize about the ticket offices that are located to the right of Disneyland have NO line at all. When I notice a large crowd standing at the offices near Downtown Disney I tell them to go to the other one. Boy are they ever happy.

Normouse
11-08-2006, 05:34 PM
When I had an annual pass, I decided to avoid the parking lot altogether, and find parking on the street. You need to beware of parking restrictions, but I found that alongside the Denny's restaurant on Katella, I could park legally all day, except for street-sweeping day once a week. This way I avoided the $10.00 parking fee, and with a brisk 10-minute walk I could be at the tram station as early as I wanted to be, or could walk through Downtown Disney myself, and arrive at the entry gates to get an early place in line.

DisneyAnna
11-08-2006, 07:01 PM
Ticket booths and parking lots open at 7 AM (Harbor lot and the M&F main entrance). The Magic Way entrance to the M&F usually opens a half-hour later. The Pumbaa lot (off Disney Way) usually opens an hour later - if the day is expected to be busy.

Buy your tickets at Vons or Pavilions grocery stores the night before or 1st thing in the AM. You can find a store open 24 hours. They don't sell single park tix ($63). They sell So Cal hoppers ($78 lets you into both parks). These tix are for locals and you're supposed to have ID with a local zip code. BUT you only have to show the zip code ID if you buy the tix at the Parks. If you buy the tix at Vons, you don't need ID. Disneyland doesn't ask for ID when you USE the tix, because one person with zip ID is allowed to buy up to 8 tix and give the tix to whomever to use. Call 714-781-7290 to verify - you don't need ID to USE the tix. Just a little useful glich in the system.

There's usually a line started at the parking entrance by 6:30. People are lined up at the ticket booths as well. The gate line is busy by 7:15. When you arrive check the gate lines (everyone goes to the closest - the middle are shorter). Even if the line is past the Monorail beam, the wait is less than 20 minutes.

Plan your day well. Eat at non peak times. Visit the important attractions first thing or get FastPass for later. You can go on more attractions in the first 3 hours, than you'll get to the rest of your day.

Make good use of your FastPass. Here's a little known trick - FastPass is good ANY time after the "appointment", not just during the time window. You can get one every two hours or after the window, whichever is first. If you're up for walking - I suggest going straight to Star Tours, get an FP, ride Buzz and get an FP (most likely your Star Tours FP time is 8:15-8:20, so you can get another). Then head west - ride Jungle and get an Indy FP, ride Pirates and get a Mansion FP, then on to Splash. Maybe it's 10:30. Now over to Big Thunder (ride or get an FP). Visit Santa at the ranch, then off to Fantasyland, where there are no FPs and the lines are the longest. Get an early bite at Village Haus. After Fantasyland, go back to your FPs. WHEW. I'm pooped, just thinking about it!

allygal
11-09-2006, 09:54 AM
Thank you DisneyAnna, you offer some great advice and suggestions. Do you know if all SoCal Vons/Pavilions offer passes, or just Orange County? (We have no choice but to stay in the Hollywood area.) Do you not need to show ID when you make the purchase?

It's going to be an exhausting day, but a fun one!!

oregontraveler
11-09-2006, 10:29 AM
here's another suggestion not mentioned yet, although I don't know if it will
work if coming from I-5 southbound. My friends were at the park 10-27/31
and stayed at the Red Roof Inn on Disney Way. They mentioned passing a FREE parking lot while walking to the park. and that not alot of people were
using it. If this mystery lot does exist, it would about a 10-minute walk to
the Esplanade.