PDA

View Full Version : Pirates of the Carribean

Undertaker72
05-20-2002, 04:39 AM
I was curious. On friday the 17th I was on Pirates of the carribean at about 8:30 or so. And when I was in line I saw all the boats backed up to the ramp. They finally got it going, and I got on. At the ghost ship scene, the ride stopped again. Would anybody know why?

thamnarestan
05-21-2002, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Undertaker72
I was curious. On friday the 17th I was on Pirates of the carribean at about 8:30 or so. And when I was in line I saw all the boats backed up to the ramp. They finally got it going, and I got on. At the ghost ship scene, the ride stopped again. Would anybody know why?

Yes. There was a flooded boat that got stuck several times at Drop 1 (even without guests loaded onto it). There was a delay because cast members had to run to the drop, push the boat over the drop, and then run to boat storage to move the boat from the main ride flume into the boat storage flume (to prevent further stoppages). Pulling the boat into boat storage caused the boats behind to back up all the way to the bottom of Drop 2, near the goast ship scene.

I apologize for the inconvienience, but the situation was unavoidable. Until the problem that causes the boats to flood is fixed, guests will continue to experience delays like this.

Undertaker72
05-21-2002, 11:11 AM
Ohh Ok. Was just curious.:-)

MouseWife
05-21-2002, 11:12 AM
What is the problem that is causing the boats to flood?

tabacco
05-21-2002, 11:18 AM
a hole? ;)

MouseWife
05-21-2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by tabacco
a hole? ;)

Ah, elementary Dr. Watson. :o

No, but seriously. Is something putting holes in the boat? Or is it someone?

Ghoulish Delight
05-21-2002, 11:52 AM
It's a water level issue. On crowded days, when they run a lot of boats, the shear number of people on the ride raises the water level. So when some boats go down the drop, or when boats behind them go down, the wake will wash over the side and flood the boat. I learned of this when we were in line and noticed they weren't loading the back row of the boats. The CM mentioned that they were running at pretty much full capacity, which caused the back rows to get flooded.

MouseWife
05-21-2002, 12:53 PM
Spoken like a true Disney expert. :cool:

{I was going to say Geek but I think some people are offended by that. :confused: }

Pony Sugrue
05-21-2002, 09:04 PM
This has happened to me a good bit lately. One time I got stuck in the big room with the "Wicked Wench" and the captain yelling and shooting "cannonballs" at the Spanish fort.

Ride operators probably realized that we were pretty sick of the Captain's spiel and guns, so after like 5 minutes, they turned off all sound. It was really weird to see how different it is without it.

I've been 'stuck" in the marathon boatlines on various parts of the ride, but everytime I do get stuck, I have to wonder what poor soul must be stuck in that really misty part right before the big ship room; coming out of the mouth of the dark cave. That would get old really quick. Since it is a newer addition, I bet they think that something is dreadfully wrong and that the heavy mist is a result of it.

MouseWife
05-21-2002, 09:06 PM
That would absolutely gag me.

I can hardly breathe going through at a normal speed.
Sort of makes me claustrophobic.

Ah, will someone post when it is fixed? :confused:

MammaSilva
05-21-2002, 09:13 PM
Is it just me or did they increase the amount of mist in the last couple years??

MouseWife
05-21-2002, 09:16 PM
I don't know. I thought it was just me getting more affected by it.

MammaSilva
05-21-2002, 09:18 PM
well I ride it every year and the last two years that little stetch seemed "thicker" than I had remembered, I always have to pull my tshirt up over my nose/mouth thru that section, getting stuck there would ruin my entire day :(

kranders
05-22-2002, 07:10 AM
I must be weird but I kind of like that fog stretch. My wife has asthma and breathes steam at home to help relieve the symptoms, she says it feels good to her, too.

thamnarestan
05-22-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
It's a water level issue.

Good guess, but that's not the case. In the first couple weeks after last year's rehab, excessive water was splashing into the boats due to the absence of splash guards at the bottom of drop 2. That problem was corrected long ago, however.

The current flooding problems ARE being caused by holes in the boats. And, no, nobody is sabotaging the ride. It's a bit complicated, but essentially what is happening is that the drop 2 approach brakes are punching holes in the boats. Each boat's hull is hollow, so when there's a hole, the hull fills up with water and causes the boat to get stuck in the flume or even possibly sink. Too bad they didn't replace the flume during the rehab, but I guess it wasn't budgeted...

Undertaker72
05-22-2002, 03:56 PM
If the boats are sinking, are there going to be enough boats to run it? I guess you can always go and borrow some from small world.;-)