PDA

View Full Version : mail box on Main Street

potzbie
11-01-2006, 09:28 PM
Has anyone ever mailed a postcard or letter using one of the mail boxes on Main Street?

Is the cancellation any different from, say, using the typical Anaheim post office?

(To tell the truth, I've been tempted to mail myself a postcard, just so I can get it in the mail and see it for myself.)

And, where can you obtain POSTAGE for your postcard, near Main Street?

Andrew
11-01-2006, 09:43 PM
We mailed our wedding invitations from those mailboxes.

TribeFan
11-01-2006, 11:42 PM
It use to be postmarked Disneyland but it's been a few years. Now it's just postmarked Anaheim, CA.

backsthepack
11-02-2006, 04:48 AM
Yes, they are just postmarked with Anaheim. I still mail mine from there though, it is just fun!

TTFN92
11-02-2006, 05:39 AM
You can get postage at the Kodak shop where you can buy the pictures that they take throughout the park. They do charge a little extra for them so you might want to buy a couple before hand and stick them in your wallet.

11-02-2006, 05:45 AM
We mailed our wedding invitations from those mailboxes.

Awwww, that's so nice! :)

tod
11-02-2006, 07:21 AM
For what it's worth, last time I looked, Disneyland stamp machines sold stamps at face value. I guess they decided to make their money on 50-cent postcards.

--t

Darkbeer
11-02-2006, 07:32 AM
The current location of the USPS machine is in the Main Street Lockers, near the entrance.

Wendi
11-02-2006, 08:51 AM
Last time I was there I saw postage machines in the Great Moments with Mr Lincoln theater near the exit. Not sure if it is still there. I think you can buy stamps in the gift shops wherever you buy postcards as well.

Darkbeer
11-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Last time I was there I saw postage machines in the Great Moments with Mr Lincoln theater near the exit. Not sure if it is still there. I think you can buy stamps in the gift shops wherever you buy postcards as well.

The Machine was removed when they re-did the exit and enlarged the Hat store.

It got relocated to the Locker area.

mistofviolets
11-02-2006, 11:13 AM
We mailed ours from Disneyland...but they didn't get any special postmarking :( I read they used to...guess that changed!

MrsPooh
11-02-2006, 11:19 AM
Just to tell you, I once mailed post cards from a Critter Country mailbox and they took a month to arrive! :eek:

This last trip, I tried the one on Main Street, and they arrived in regular time.

I took stamps with me. What I do is save the ones that I have to buy more postage for (as the rates have gone up) and use them for postcards. Sending postcards is cheaper than regular letters, and it allows me to use the old stamps with minimal fuss.

Opus1guy
11-02-2006, 01:31 PM
The Machine was removed when they re-did the exit and enlarged the Hat store.

It got relocated to the Locker area.

And they removed my private nap-bench from the Lincoln post-show hallway as well!

The rotten &#$*@#s! This means war!

;)

Tinkermommy
11-02-2006, 02:42 PM
And they removed my private nap-bench from the Lincoln post-show hallway as well!

HEY! If you mean the circular padded bench, that was MY private quiet space for getting away from the crowd and warming up in cold weather! Can't tell you how many times my little one slept on my lap in there.

Hmm...maybe too many of us were laying claim to the bench? :p

Disneynerd
11-02-2006, 02:55 PM
Has anyone ever mailed a postcard or letter using one of the mail boxes on Main Street?

Is the cancellation any different from, say, using the typical Anaheim post office?

(To tell the truth, I've been tempted to mail myself a postcard, just so I can get it in the mail and see it for myself.)

And, where can you obtain POSTAGE for your postcard, near Main Street?double awwwwwwwww!

Opus1guy
11-02-2006, 11:31 PM
HEY! If you mean the circular padded bench, that was MY private quiet space for getting away from the crowd and warming up in cold weather! Can't tell you how many times my little one slept on my lap in there.

Hmm...maybe too many of us were laying claim to the bench? :p

Nope. Mine was a straight regular type bench that was just outside the exit doors of the theater, but was before the auto-curtains that "sealed" off this little private space after all the exiting Guests had passed.

That's what I loved about it. Once the theater doors closed and those exit hallway curtains closed...you had a nice quiet air-conditioned private space (and bench) to get a few winks in.

But that bench is gone now. All that was in that space was the old headphone rack on wheels still sitting there empty. In fact...now that the hallway curves like it does...they may have even eliminated the auto-curtains. I forgot to check that...I was so mad about my bench being gone and all!

:)

bradk
11-03-2006, 03:52 AM
although, it'd be my understanding that the Anaheim Post Office will sometimes change the cancellation stamp to honor Disneyland (usually on certain anniversaries)

tod
11-03-2006, 09:16 AM
although, it'd be my understanding that the Anaheim Post Office will sometimes change the cancellation stamp to honor Disneyland (usually on certain anniversaries)

There are occasional event-based special cancellations, but they are usually only available at special stations synched with the event. Collectors will get their cancelations and keep them without mailing the item.

There was one at Disneyland for the 50th anniversary of the movie Snow White, and I think they had them for the Disney-themed stamps, although I believe they sold pre-cancelled First Day Of Issue items then.

--t

SDMom
11-03-2006, 09:24 AM
I mailed some YOMD postcards from there this week, just for added good luck!

Opus1guy
11-03-2006, 11:45 AM
There was one at Disneyland for the 50th anniversary of the movie Snow White...

I recall that one. The Post Office had a special tent set up in the parking lot just outside the gates and were selling covers and doing cancellations. I recall that we even stuck stamps at the bottom of our Snow White Charles Boyer lithos/posters and had them canceled at that tent.

Tinkermommy
11-03-2006, 12:25 PM
Mine was a straight regular type bench that was just outside the exit doors of the theater...I was so mad about my bench being gone and all!

Ah, that's a relief. I'd hate to have to argue ownership rights of a dearly departed bench with a fellow MousePadder. :p

I feel your pain! We made our discovery on a day when we'd been sort of overwhelmed by the crowds and decided to go sit in our "quiet place" for a little while. My little one and I stopped dead in our tracks, mouths open, gaping at the empty space...:eek:

We haven't found any spot that compares.

potzbie
11-03-2006, 09:06 PM
I was there today (Friday Nov. 3, 2006).

I went to the Main Street lockers to verify the stamp machine. Where could it be? -- I eliminated the PHONES and the LONG DISTANCE CALLING CARD MACHINE -- and when I turned around, I found the postage machine! "Ta-daaah!"

Better yet, when I was exiting, and passing by the fruit cart which is set up in that alley, guess what? -- I saw a lady mail a postcard, right in front of me! What timing! :)

Well! Next time, I will bring a pen and a stamp to Disneyland, and buy a postcard, and mail it to myself, just so I can see the cancel mark of the Anaheim postoffice.
... while we are on this thread ...

Next time, I will go through the opera house ("Mr. Lincoln" / "50th Anniversary") and watch for the missing bench. ;) :p

Reminds me of that famous verse.
"As I was walking past the stair
I met a man who was not there.
He was not there again today.
Oh, how I wish he'd go away!"
:)