PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Flag Retreat Ceremony

Pages : [1] 2 3

PhiSigDuchessCV
10-30-2006, 08:42 PM
Hi There,

I was just curious how many of you have taken the time to watch the new (since summer) flag retreat ceremony on Main Street. If you haven't I really recommend that you do, especially if you are a Veteran of one of the 5 service branches.

My parents and I have seen it 3 times now and each time it gives me goosebumps and such pride in being an American. Seeing some of the older veterans still be able to stand at attention even some 40 to 60 years later is a moving sight. I keep hoping my brother, who just retired from the Coast Guard, or my nephew, who is a Marine, will come visit us soon so I can take them to Disneyland and watch them with pride as they move to the center when their particular branch's anthem is played.

I keep forgetting to send DL a note saying thank you for including the Coast Guard since so many other places seem to treat them as an after thought.

If you haven't had a chance to watch the flag retreat ceremony I strongly encourage you to do so. It usually isn't in the paper schedule but I have seen it listed on the website a couple times.

Carolyn

Another Dimension
10-31-2006, 12:13 AM
The new Flag Retreat is even more special than it has ever been. :D

I think having the new announcements thru-out, the new Flag Retreat format and having the Disneyland band perform it live, after the (newer, lesser) Dapper Dans perform it's pre-show -- just really adds those extra special touches, over simply the recorded version and the old version Disneyland has used for many years.

I always stop for the lowering of the flag and the National Anthem.

Some people don't like or love Disneyland, (shocking, i know) :eek:;
but no one intelligent can deny that Disneyland has a lot of class, national honor and un-biased patriotism.

ladodgerjon
11-01-2006, 04:00 PM
The new Flag Retreat is even more special than it has ever been. :D

Very much so. I found myself getting misty-eyed when they brought-up the Vets. A wonderful tribute to our men & women of the armed forces.

The recorded speeches from MLK, JFK, etc., are stirring in this context.

I love watching the very slender African-American security officer-- he is so precise in his movements, and is obviously very passionate about his duties.

Drince88
11-01-2006, 04:04 PM
Anyone care to share what they're doing different? Have they added the 'Veteran of the Day' like they have at WDW?

Rkkm
11-01-2006, 05:46 PM
The DL Flag Retreat Ceremony is one of my and my retired Marine husband's favorite things! Whenever we go to DL for dinner, we make this part of our evening. We stand up straight, hands over our hearts, and sing the National Anthem with teary eyes.

But, sadly, while we are doing this, we are frequently jostled, bumped and stared at by passers-by. After several instances of this, I began to feel uncomfortable standing at attention and singing. I mentioned this to my husband, who wisely said, "There are a lot of guys I left in Vietnam would who give anything to be here singing at the top of their lungs." I now sing loudly in memory of those who didn't come home from their war. I urge all of you to do the same.

Opus1guy
11-01-2006, 06:46 PM
...and having the Disneyland band perform it live, after the (newer, lesser) Dapper Dans perform it's pre-show...

FYI, at Flag Retreat yesterday, Halloween day, the Disneyland Band was nowhere to be seen. It was just the Dapper Dans (who I thought were really off-key several times, BTW).

All the music (other than the Dapper's) was from pre-recorded tracks.

So I suspect there are some days the Disneyland Band has off. At least for this ceremony.

Frogberto
11-02-2006, 12:10 PM
FYI, at Flag Retreat yesterday, Halloween day, the Disneyland Band was nowhere to be seen. It was just the Dapper Dans (who I thought were really off-key several times, BTW).

All the music (other than the Dapper's) was from pre-recorded tracks.

So I suspect there are some days the Disneyland Band has off. At least for this ceremony.

Yes. Monday and Tuesdays there's no band, currently. Certain other days the Dapper Dans don't participate in the flag ceremony. Although I've seen the "new" flag ceremony several times, and love it, it's better without the Dapper Dans, in my opinion.

Whittibo
11-02-2006, 05:11 PM
Just caught the ceremony tonight!! First time we have ever seen it.

The band was there as well as the Dapper Dans. :)

4 out of 5 of us really enjoyed it. My middle daughter was "bored" but she's ADD so that's nothing new for her. LOL!

tod
11-03-2006, 09:24 AM
I love watching the very slender African-American security officer-- he is so precise in his movements, and is obviously very passionate about his duties.

That would be Ernie. I always like watching him lower the flag because he times it perfectly, unhooking the last fastener on the last note.

Last Summer I saw him blow the timing, still lowering when the College Band finished -- but it was a different arrangement, with an extension at the end. He made the last note.

...we are frequently jostled, bumped and stared at by passers-by. After several instances of this, I began to feel uncomfortable standing at attention and singing. I mentioned this to my husband, who wisely said, "There are a lot of guys I left in Vietnam would who give anything to be here singing at the top of their lungs." I now sing loudly in memory of those who didn't come home from their war. I urge all of you to do the same.

Those people are also taking advantage of the freedom that thousands of soldiers died defending for over 200 years, perhaps wthout even knowing it. The US does not require that all activity stop when the National Anthem is played, and I fear for our freedoms if we ever do.

Sing loud and proud, but remember that the freedom you so cherish is also freedom to not participate.

--t

Rkkm
11-03-2006, 06:10 PM
Those people are also taking advantage of the freedom that thousands of soldiers died defending for over 200 years, perhaps wthout even knowing it. The US does not require that all activity stop when the National Anthem is played, and I fear for our freedoms if we ever do.

Sing loud and proud, but remember that the freedom you so cherish is also freedom to not participate.

--t

My 30-years-on-active-duty Marine got a big kick out of your response. He loves it when he and I get a lecture about freedoms and what we should "remember" about them. What I was writing about was how he and I, who were honoring our nation's flag and all that it means, were treated. He laid his life on the line for those freedoms about which you are so knowledgeable ... did you?

tod
11-03-2006, 07:05 PM
My 30-years-on-active-duty Marine got a big kick out of your response. He loves it when he and I get a lecture about freedoms and what we should "remember" about them.

I'm not lecturing anybody. A person who pays lip service to "freedom" and then tells other people what to do is unclear on the concept.

What I was writing about was how he and I, who were honoring our nation's flag and all that it means, were treated.

If you are being "jostled, bumped and stared at by passers-by" you are probably standing in the wrong place. I stand close to the flagpole and have never had that problem.

Then again, from there my back is turned to the passers-by, so I can't really monitor their activities.

He laid his life on the line for those freedoms about which you are so knowledgeable ... did you?

No, I didn't, my draft number was 363 and I dodged that bullet. This doesn't make me a subversive... I was honestly exempted, which puts me one up on people like Our Esteemed Vice President, who had "other priorities" and got four student deferments Rush Limbaugh, who had an ingrown hair Karl Rove Newt Gingrich Dennis Hastert, who had a "bad knee" Paul Wolfowitz Tom DeLay Clarence Thomas Trent Lott George Willwho had to get deferments.

--t

TikiGeek
11-03-2006, 07:30 PM

--tWords of a true patriot. :)

The DL Flag Retreat Ceremony is one of my and my retired Marine husband's favorite things! Whenever we go to DL for dinner, we make this part of our evening. We stand up straight, hands over our hearts, and sing the National Anthem with teary eyes.My wife and I also - along with so many. Thank you (and yours) for your service. :)

jeffat2
11-03-2006, 10:36 PM
My dad all ways told me dont bring up religion or politics around family or friends. I am sure you could come up with a lot of names of people of either party. This isnt a soapbox for politics ,just people that all love and enjoy Disneyland and Disney. Jeff

potzbie
11-04-2006, 08:18 AM
The Disneyland marching band (or is it "concert band"?) was there Friday November 3, 2006.

The band, dressed in white, comes out of the Cast Member door near the first aid station, then lines up at the top of Main Street, and with the drum cadence, marches down Main Street toward the flag pole.

mowsluver
11-04-2006, 08:49 AM
I am gifting my daughter and son (in-law) a weekend trip to DL in Dec. They are both Marines and one of the things that I am requesting them to do, is to see the Flag Retreat. We have gone ever since they were little and have always missed it and now I see from this forum that it is quite cool!
They are both being deployed overseas right after the first of the year. This is a surprise gift of 'memories' for them.
It will be a special moment for them, to see it at The Happiest Place on Earth, before they head off to 'hell'.....

cstephens
11-04-2006, 09:22 AM
That would be Ernie. I always like watching him lower the flag because he times it perfectly, unhooking the last fastener on the last note.

In all the times I've seen flag retreat, there has only been one occasion when he wasn't there, and that was a couple months ago. I remember being really surprised because no matter what day of the week I was there and watching flag retreat, he had been there.

I expect some people watch flag retreat from the outer areas of Town Square, and since it's a walkway area, yeah, you're probably going to get jostled because not everyone is going to stop. We're always on the flagpole island, so we don't have that problem. As long as someone isn't purposely trying to disrupt the flag retreat, whether they actually pay attention or not makes no difference to me.

Drince88
11-04-2006, 10:41 AM
Do they have a Veteran of the Day that particpates?

If so, does anyone know the process for that? I think mowsluver's kids would appreciate knowing the process (at WDW you can be active duty to be 'Veteran' of the Day)

mowsluver
11-04-2006, 12:11 PM
.......If so, does anyone know the process for that? I think mowsluver's kids would appreciate knowing the process (at WDW you can be active duty to be 'Veteran' of the Day).....

That is quite cool! I am very proud of BOTH of them and all the other men and women in the Miliatry. They joined for no glory or recognition, my daughter has always wanted to be a Marine and after 9/11 it was just 'set in cement' that there would be nothing else that she would do....
I tell everyone that I talk to (even a casual encounter with a stranger) that I have 2 Marines in my family!

I want them to experience the Flag Retreat with the group of people who stand there and sing, because they are proud to be Americans. I hate to sound like I am on a sopabox, but I tell them (though I really don't have to) to be proud of what they are doing!!

jeffat2
11-04-2006, 01:56 PM
Mowsluver, You and your kids should be proud,We are of them.Thank them for us.Because of Great people like them and many others, we have all the freedoms we enjoy.(Like Disneyland ,speech and much much more)hope they have a great time. Jeff

mowsluver
11-04-2006, 02:23 PM
Jeff, thanks for the kind words!!

I am making this a surprise trip for them. They have been married 1 year ago tomorrow and have spent a total of 26 days together! Plus they will be apart on deployment, though both are going to the same general area....:(

I want them to be like kids again, on this trip! I have made arrangements for a character meal, which I know they will love! I want them to enjoy the snow after the fireworks! Eat churros! And popcorn! And any thing else their hearts desire!!!:D

For a couple of nights, they will stay at a hotel, in a REAL bed!

I just want to make memories........

PhiSigDuchessCV
05-27-2007, 09:54 PM
Hi There,

If you're at Disneyland on Memorial Day (or any other day) and would like to take a moment to honor and/or remember a vet, active duty personnel, or a fallen servicemen, I encourage you to watch the Flag Retreat Ceremony. This Monday 5/28 it begins at 4:30.

For anyone who is or has served in the armed forces I encourge you to step to the center around the flagpole as they play the anthem from your branch of service.

Thank you to everyone who has served our country and may God Bless the friends and family of fallen service men and women.

God Bless the USA,
Carolyn

mowsluver
05-27-2007, 10:53 PM
My daughter and son (in-law) were there in Dec and one of the things that I wanted them to do was see the Flag Retreat....they are both Marines.
Since that visit my son (in-law) has been deployed to Iraq and my daughter would have been also.....but she is pregnant!
We will be going to DL in a couple of weeks and she will be in her 8th month and one of the things she keeps on mentioning is that we all HAVE to be at Retreat! It left a great impression on her and she wants to be sure that we all get to see it.

To all our Military Men and Women, thank you for giving up some of your freedom so that I can still have mine...
Godspeed.

Malcon10t
05-28-2007, 08:46 AM
I really like the Flag Retreat Ceremony. I'm hoping to get to see it at least once the next trip.

tod
07-01-2007, 07:57 AM
I finally got the chance to see the new, improved Flag Retreat Ceremony™ (© Disney) and I was appalled.

Who put this thing together, Albert Speer? I felt like I was at a Nuremberg rally.

The Little tods and I were walking in the east tunnel about 4:30 when we heard the new Dapper Dans singing something patriotic, and Cast Members were positioned guarding the street around the east side of Town Square to clear the road for the honor guard. (I saw Ernie and two cohorts in the meet-and-greet area next to Disney Showcase.) When I realized what was happening I took a position in the shade by the Disney Showcase to watch.

It was awful.

First everybody who had ever served in the armed forces was told to get to the flagpole so everybody could applaud them as the band tootled a medley of service songs, oddly back-announced so you heard "WE HONOR THE UNITED STATES MARINES!!!" as the band played "Anchors Aweigh." When that was finished, the voice said something about how the ceremony goes back to Abraham Lincoln and now we put the flag away until another day dawns, which sounded pretty ridiculous when you considered that it was 4:30 on a summer afternoon and the sun was still high in the sky and wouldn't set for another three hours.

And oh by the way they had another word for it, we don't say that defeatist word "retreat," not around here, nossir.

Then the voice told everybody to stand up and sing along to "our national anthem," none of this have-the-trumpeter-sound-retreat-start-the-drumroll-let-people-catch-on business, we're gonna tell you exactly what to do and when to do it. Ernie lowered the flag with his usual precision, adding a bit of real military dignity to this charade.

When the flags had been lowered, the voice commanded "REMAIN STANDING WHILE THE FLAGS ARE BEING FOLDED" and I thought "That's a first."

But it wasn't over yet.

After the flags were folded, two little girls were pushed forward, I thought by a parent looking for a photo op but I realized that it must be part of the show or the Cast Members on duty would have wrestled them to the ground. The girls, holding U.S. flags on sticks, held them up (for a while, at least, one of them lost interest almost immediately and held her stick parallel to the ground) as the voice blew off some patriotic spiel and I wondered why these cute-as-a-button little tykes were carrying flags when the whole point of the ceremony was that the flag was being taken down and put away and then the voice commanded us to all sing "a love song to America -- 'God Bless America'!!" and I shuddered.

It was finally over and everybody cheered and the band leader took a little bow and pointed at the band with his baton in a modest acknowledgment of their assistance and then they all trooped out, first the honor guard, then the little girls, who were waving at the viewers like they were in a parade or something, then the Dapper Dans, then the band, then every Cast Member who had been guarding the street. (There was a momentary stop while Ernie and the honor guard made their military turn.) Through the big gate by the Mad Hatter then out.

I remember the old Flag Retreat ceremony, when Ernie and two cohorts would march out, the recorded music would play, flag down, game over. Ten minutes, tops, two extra security guys to clear the path. Sometimes the band was there. In summer, the college band. But it just happened, a dignified ritual that didn't call attention to itself, where people were free to participate or just walk by, not even knowing that something is going on.

Now, it's an ostentatious over-the-top ceremony that falls all over itself to show how P*A*T*R*I*O*T*I*C it is.

I miss the old ceremony.

--t

VickiC
07-01-2007, 08:03 AM
Oh dear. My DD is in our local Girl Scout Honor Guard so she's a stickler for proper flag cerermonies and I've now watched a ton of them. Lowering of the colors should be almost silent and solemn. The only thing that should be announced is "Retire the Colors" no commands to the audience, etc.