PDA

View Full Version : Darkbeer, I need your help (AP renewal question)

kohl
10-30-2006, 01:22 PM
Our AP's expire on December 2, 2006. I have a PAP, my husband and 2 kids have the DAP. We won't be returning to Disneyland until January 24, 2007.
My question is, should we renew before the AP's expire, or should we get new ones when we go in January?
Thanks for your help Darkbeer!

just beatla33
10-30-2006, 01:42 PM
if you renew early I believe theres a discount

Darkbeer
10-30-2006, 02:56 PM
Yes, there is a discount for renewing, but in this case, it is BETTER to not renew...

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=60859

This is for folks who will have to renew under the new Annual Passholder Prices effective September 15th, 2006.

I just checked the math in regards to which is better, to renew with a discount, or letting it expire, and get a new AP on the next visit.

If we are talking about a $359 Premium pass, that will be discounted $20 dollars to $339, the cost is 92.876 cents per day, which makes it 22 days worth with the new price.

Therefore for example, if your pass expires 12/1/06, and you would plan to go prior to December 23rd, then you will want to renew. But if you weren't planning to return until sometime in 2007, then you will want to let your old pass expire, and purchase a new pass when you return, say February 14th. You pay $359, but you will get an new expiration date of 2/14/08.

With the Deluxe at $239, and $20 off, that makes it $219, and 60 cents per day, and therefore, 33 days. So this time, if you would go anytime in the first 33 days after the current expiration date, then renew, otherwise let it expire.

A deluxe with parking, it is 26 days.

Since the SoCal or SoCal Select does NOT offer a discount for renewing, of course, just let the old pass expire and just get a new one on your next visit after the old one expired.

So, let's recap.

If you are a SoCal holder, or a SoCal select, DON'T renew!

A Deluxe holder should renew if they plan to go within 33 days of the expiration date.

A Deluxe with Parking should renew if they plan to go within 26 days.

A Premium AP holder should renew if they plan to go within 22 days.

So since the period of time is almost 2 months, you might as well wait to renew (it is doubtful that prices will go up again until March or April at the earliest), unless you don't see yourself attending the park in December of 2007 or January 2008.

DisneyDustin22
10-30-2006, 02:58 PM
Yes, there is a discount for renewing, but in this case, it is BETTER to not renew...

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=60859

So since the period of time is almost 2 months, you might as well wait to renew (it is doubtful that prices will go up again until March or April at the earliest), unless you don't see yourself attending the park in December of 2007 or January 2008.

Life shoudn't be this complicated. :| I have a headache.

j.k

Bytebear
10-30-2006, 05:11 PM
I did the late renewal thing, but I also got the same old AP logo as last year (the 50th). I wish I had gotten the Mickey card now, so if you want the special renewal pass, renew. Otherwise just let it lapse.

Malcon10t
10-30-2006, 05:24 PM
Our AP's expire on December 2, 2006. I have a PAP, my husband and 2 kids have the DAP. We won't be returning to Disneyland until January 24, 2007.
My question is, should we renew before the AP's expire, or should we get new ones when we go in January?
Thanks for your help Darkbeer!
My question is this. Is there any chance that next year you would go to Disneyland during December? If yes, then wait. If there is no way you would go during the hectic time, then I would save teh $20 a pass and renew. While it would extend your dates by a month and a half, if you wouldn't use it that month and a half, its costing you the $20. If you went often (weekly/daily) then I'd wait til the next visit.

kikid
10-31-2006, 05:17 AM
Ok, I'm stumped!
We are going to the GC Dec 1st-3rd. My AP has expired. I was going to buy a new AP at the park on the 1st (to avoid the $30 blackout charge) NOW I'm going this Sunday to Disneyland only and need a ticket!! Do I go forward and purchase my AP now or wait till Dec 1st?? Thanking you in advance for your suggestions:)

Darkbeer
10-31-2006, 06:06 AM
Ok, I'm stumped!
We are going to the GC Dec 1st-3rd. My AP has expired. I was going to buy a new AP at the park on the 1st (to avoid the $30 blackout charge) NOW I'm going this Sunday to Disneyland only and need a ticket!! Do I go forward and purchase my AP now or wait till Dec 1st?? Thanking you in advance for your suggestions:)

Well, a one day one park ticket is $63, so you are looking at paying a lot...

But here is a trick, buy a SoCal Select AP on Sunday, then upgrade to a regular SoCal or Deluxe on December 1st. They will allow you to take the blockout ticket and apply it to any upgrade......:fez:

kikid
10-31-2006, 05:47 PM

But here is a trick, buy a SoCal Select AP on Sunday, then upgrade to a regular SoCal or Deluxe on December 1st. They will allow you to take the blockout ticket and apply it to any upgrade......:fez:
Thanks Darkbeer you are true genius!:D :D :D You remind me of a man behind the curtain in a movie titled: The Wizard of Oz!;)

jeffat2
10-31-2006, 06:30 PM
Darkbeer, I am not trying to be a pain ,just trying to learn from you.I understand upgrading the $63.00 one day ticket to a socal select for this sunday ,you could use the select on the 1st of Dec but even the regular socal is blocked on the 2nd . are you saying to pay the $30.00 block out for the 2nd then before you leave for the day apply the $30.00 block out to upgrade to the regular so cal for no extra charge and being able to go to the park on the 3rd Thanks Jeff

Darkbeer
10-31-2006, 08:31 PM
Darkbeer, I am not trying to be a pain ,just trying to learn from you.I understand upgrading the $63.00 one day ticket to a socal select for this sunday ,you could use the select on the 1st of Dec but even the regular socal is blocked on the 2nd . are you saying to pay the $30.00 block out for the 2nd then before you leave for the day apply the $30.00 block out to upgrade to the regular so cal for no extra charge and being able to go to the park on the 3rd Thanks Jeff

No worries, not a pain...

But yes, you pretty much got it correct.....

Buy the cheapest AP the first day.

Then on the next visit to the park on a blockout day, pay the $30 and use it to upgrade to the next highest AP....

Neat trick, if your dates match the situation......

kikid
11-01-2006, 05:30 AM

Me again. I just noticed that the SoCal Select is blocked out Sunday (Nov 5th). We knew this, right?

Darkbeer
11-01-2006, 06:12 AM
Me again. I just noticed that the SoCal Select is blocked out Sunday (Nov 5th). We knew this, right?

Yes, but the First day of use with an AP is NEVER blocked out, so you can buy a SoCal Select on a Sunday and visit the park that day.

There is a current thread talking about the First Day issue....

kikid
11-01-2006, 06:54 AM
Yes, but the First day of use with an AP is NEVER blocked out, so you can buy a SoCal Select on a Sunday and visit the park that day.

There is a current thread talking about the First Day issue....
Ok, I get it. Then I upgrade to the SoCal on the 2nd which will allow me ;) another entrance on a blockout day!

kohl
11-06-2006, 05:28 AM
Thanks Darkbeer. I think we will wait to get a new pass in January. Even though I am sad we will miss all the Christmas decorations this year.
On the brighter side, at least we already have a trip planned for January!!!!:D

disneycanuk
11-06-2006, 07:29 AM
i am wondering I am planning a trip at the start of jan and my APs for the family have expired I think I read that if you renew somewhere you get a coupon for discount somewhere or should i just renew when i get there (love the coupons anytime i can get some money off somewhere

thanks for all the help

Malcon10t
11-06-2006, 09:00 AM
i am wondering I am planning a trip at the start of jan and my APs for the family have expired I think I read that if you renew somewhere you get a coupon for discount somewhere or should i just renew when i get there (love the coupons anytime i can get some money off somewhere

thanks for all the helpIf your APs have expired, you won't receive the renewal discounts. I would wait til you get to the park and do it then.

disneycanuk
11-06-2006, 09:55 AM
okay thanks just wondering last year i recieved a discount coupon when i bought online, so was hoping it still might apply oh well

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
11-06-2006, 12:12 PM
Unless you are DYING for that adorable Mickey AP, which I am, then you would want to renew before it expires. LOL