PDA

View Full Version : Trip planned...embarassing advice needed!

Jen_Zuniga
05-19-2002, 07:55 AM
Hi everyone, This is my first time posting but this site has been very helpful to me. My family is going to the DLR the end of June. I am very overweight and am concerned about being able to ride the rides. It is a huge fear of mine actually. I have recently lost 90 lbs but I still weight 300. What do you think I am going to have problems on? In Disneyland and DCA. I know I can't ride Splash now or Space Mountain. but I am hoping I will be able to ride most everything else. What about Soarin? Indy? Haunted Mansion? Matterhorn? Oh I want to know about it all!! HELP!!!! LOL I am not very big at the top and my stomach isn't very big but I have a big rear and legs. Thanks so much for your help, this was an embarassing question :( Jen

Pixie Glitter
05-19-2002, 08:52 AM
Jen,

I am making my first trip to DL the end of this month, so unfortunately I don't have any advice for you regarding which rides will be accessible. But I just wanted to say a great big kudos to you, both for losing 90 pounds (wow!) and for having the courage to make a difficult post. You go, girl!! :)

I'll bet some of the locals and/or CMs who post on this site will have some good information for you. And I hope you have an absolutely magical time on your trip!

Cheers for you,
Pixie Glitter

Pixie Glitter
05-19-2002, 08:57 AM
Jen,

I just remembered that I read somewhere online (I don't remember the source, but I do remember that it sounded reliable to me) that they are creating a few logs for Splash Mountain which will accomodate larger riders. Evidently when you reach the head of the line, you will just have to tell the CM that you need one of the four-person logs, and they put you on the next one that comes along.

Pixie Glitter

Gemini Cricket
05-19-2002, 09:08 AM
Dear Jen-
I have been to Disneyland with a great friend of mine at least 10 times. She's the same weight as you are. We had no problems riding rides. In fact, we did a "Do Every Ride in the Park" Day and we did ride every ride (BTW, I wouldn't recommend a "D.E.R.I.T.P" Day... it was sort of stressful.). She had no problems getting on the rides. :)
The one thing we did discuss, though, was Big Thunder Mountain. It's a lap bar for two people. The bar was on her lap and not on mine. So we rode single. :)

Jen- 90lbs. That's incredible. You're one awesome person! I can't lose the 10lbs I've been trying to lose for the past 6 months.
It's pizza, I blame pizza. :D

:cool:GC

MammaSilva
05-19-2002, 09:11 AM
Jen, I am very overweight and I ride everything at Disneyland, I don't know how Splash will work out with the new arrangement but from what I understand they are addressing the size issue, as for DCA I have to say I have no desire to even try to ride California Screaming (the rollercoaster with the loop) or mailboomer or orange stinger so I can't speak about those rides, but I've gone on the rapid ride many many times, soaring over California isn't a problem either, a small piece of advice tho, I am assuming you are taking your family, when ever you plan to ride something with a restraint such as Big Thunder be sure to ask the CM to seat you by yourself because the lap bar won't come down far enough to protect a child riding with you. the Cm's are wonderful about it if you ask in advance as they are putting everyone 'in place' for the next load cycle. Matterhorn has individual seat belts and the bigger person always sits in the back with the smaller one in front and I ride with my niece/daughter/nephews all the time with that configuration. Space Mountain actually accomodates a pretty large behind I know from experience so don't count that one out. I haven't gone on the gadget coaster so can't speak to that one either sorry, but you can ride the cartoon spin without much problem because of the way they have the steering wheel set on the car...I'm trying to think of any other ride where the size of the rider can make a difference and am drawing a blank, OH the Haunted Mansion, it has a lap bar but you can ride with a smaller rider because there really aren't any big drops that would endanger the smaller rider if you are holding them next to you anyway ....but the CM's there will give you your own doom buggie just like Thunder if you ask at the loading area......I have to say that there might be things that "Disney" is doing that I don't agree with at the parks but the line troops, the CM"s will ususally go way over the top to make your trip special if you remember to ask nicely, smile and thank them for their help, keep in mind they see a LOT of visitors each day and not everyone is gracious enough to recognize the CM's for their part in making the magic happen!

MouseWife
05-19-2002, 10:52 AM
Hi!

There has been a lot of great advice here.

All I can add is go with your feelings and I actually watch who is getting on for a while and see how it works. Find someone who is built like me and see if it works. :)

I have to say I didn't even try Autopia. Have you mammasilva? It just seems so small and low to the ground.

All of my life, heavy or light, I have been a klutz. :o So, I don't need any more opportunities to fall out of a car. Or down stairs.

Above all,

Have a great safe time!!!

MammaSilva
05-19-2002, 01:17 PM
Mousewife, yeah I've been on Autopia a number of times, it is a little low to the ground but 'doable' as far as getting in and out unless you have leg problems, I don't ride when my knee is acting up because it is uncomfortable getting out of the car at the end and you "feel" rushed because you know that person has been waiting a long time to hop in the car you are taking so long to get out of .....and we don't do the stairs because of Brandys wheelchair, we use the little elevator that is on the bridge, it takes her straight to the loading area.......

bluebayou
05-19-2002, 02:52 PM
Hi - I definitely know how you feel.. as someone who weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of you - I can tell there are no problems with any of the rides in Disneyland. I get on all of them incl Dumbo and space mountain (although those look like they would be tight fits and space mountain is a little.) I have yet to go on California Screamin (for fear that I will wait - reach the head of the line and find out that I cannot ride. Good luck to you if you try.) Great job on the weight loss (I myself am trying but cannot seem to find the right combination of things that work). Please pm or email me with your tips.. Thanks!

MouseWife
05-19-2002, 03:51 PM
Oo, mammasilva, maybe then I will try. :)

I have always loved the Autopia. I was freaked out to see how small the new Chevron cars looked. I haven't even been closer than the store at the exit.

Thanks for letting me know. :)

MammaSilva
05-19-2002, 07:44 PM
Mousewife, I don't think the cars are actually any smaller than the old cars, the bodys are a bit different but I didn't notice any less "room" inside, I usually ride with my niece and one of my nephews ride with Brandy (that way they aren't really really riding a kiddie ride ya know, they're helping their cousin LOL) and we fit just fine

snappy
05-19-2002, 08:11 PM
Just wanted to say congratulations on losing the 90lbs. From the sound advice from everybody I'm sure you'll have a great time at Disneyland! Snappy;)

Jen_Zuniga
05-20-2002, 05:58 AM
Thanks to everyone for all of the great advice. I am feeling much better about our trip now. I really didn't want to wait while my husband and daughter had all the fun. As for the 90 lbs..I had weight loss surgery in Feb. so I am well on my way to losing more. Maybe even before I leave in June. Thanks again, you guys are great! Jen

MammaSilva
05-20-2002, 07:42 AM
Jen don't forget to take the time to stop and LOOK while you are there, make the time to stroll down the little side 'street' behind the fruit cart and listen to the 'windows' on Main street, check out the names on the windows on the 'second story' on Main street, go see Not Afraids Swans, the babys should be a good size by then......enjoy all the aspects of the park!

HBTiggerFan
05-20-2002, 05:48 PM
Hi Jen,
I found http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=133&highlight=overweight that is a direct link to other discussions which have links to information that may be of helpfulness.

Flynn
05-21-2002, 08:09 AM
I actually noticed one thing at DCA during my trip last week. On Orange Stinger (the swing ride), there was a note posted in a couple of places indicating that riders should not be over 200 pounds. Being just slightly over that, and my fiancee as well, I was concerned. However, there were no comments made, nor were others, who were larger than we, prevented from riding.

Just thought that you might like to know.

hbquikcomjamesl
05-21-2002, 08:59 AM
On Orange Stinger (the swing ride), there was a note posted in a couple of places indicating that riders should not be over 200 pounds.

I would imagine that there's at least a 50 per cent safety factor (if not 100% or more) in that sort of warning sign, i.e., if the sign says 200 lb maximum, it can probably handle 300-400lbs (but with enough excess stress on the mechanism that it's not a very good idea).

Oh, and by the way, I'm a bit over 200 lbs, myself.

Allysen1Derland
05-21-2002, 12:50 PM
Hi, Jen! I just wanted to say "Congrats!" on losing 90 lbs.! That takes so much discipline, I really admire you! You, your husband and daughter are going to have so much fun @ DL, there are so many things to see and do ! As far as being embarrassed about your first posting @ MP, there's no need to be! I look forward to seeing more posts from you in the future!;)