PDA

View Full Version : Supposed to leave in 48 hours, child has temperature! New dates?

Pages : [1] 2

yenko427
10-30-2006, 08:00 AM
OK, we are supposed to be leaving in 48 hours and not sure if we are going now. My son has a temperature and not sure if he has the flu or what.

So, I am trying to come up with a back-up plan. I am looking at January or February dates. What are good weeks to go? Does anyone know where I can find out info. to make sure no huge events are going on at the same time? Thanks. Keeping my fingers crossed.............

Nancy
10-30-2006, 08:18 AM
We like going in Jan or Feb but sometime you encounter rain. I'd slam the vit C hard and add an advil too! Good luck!

DianeM
10-30-2006, 08:24 AM
When I was a child, I always seemed to get ear infections on the first day of a vacation. I thought that a stop at the emergency room for a shot of antibiotic was just a routine part of travelling. I wouldn't worry too much - if he' (she?) is really sick tomorrow, then worry. It's a bit early for flu season.

OK, we are supposed to be leaving in 48 hours and not sure if we are going now. My son has a temperature and not sure if he has the flu or what.

So, I am trying to come up with a back-up plan. I am looking at January or February dates. What are good weeks to go? Does anyone know where I can find out info. to make sure no huge events are going on at the same time? Thanks. Keeping my fingers crossed.............

Nancy
10-30-2006, 08:52 AM
My kids always had a temp when they were cutting teeth. Even when they were older. We always carried advil and extra vitamins when we went on vacation. (Still do!)

Pirate Princess
10-30-2006, 09:00 AM
We always joke that my son is allergic to DL. He has gone about five times and EVERYTIME he gets sick. We just take it easy and relax. We find it's more fun to be sick at DL than at home. My only suggestion to you: if are planning on going... bring medication! Last trip he got sick in the middle of the night and the front desk told me that Walgreens was a 24 hour pharmacy... well it wasn't. At 11:30pm we drove all over (having no clue where we were going) to find something to help him sleep. So in case you run into this problem, there is a 24 hour FOOD 4 LESS: 1616 WEST KATELLA AVE. They have a wonderful assortment of meds.
Good luck!

mommy-san
10-30-2006, 09:34 AM
Our trip to DL in February was almost ruined by a BAD case of the stomach flu-bug. My 5 year old was the 1st to get it, the night we arrived. But she decided that she would rather be sick at Disneyland than sick at HoJo. We did use alot of hand sanitizer and stuff so that we wouldn't spread it to all of Anaheim and she actually had alot of fun.

MermaidHair
10-30-2006, 10:04 AM
Oh - I do hope your little one feels better soon! I am with the rest that say go anyway. On the point of needing to know where 24 hour pharmacies are - the first aid station on Main Street has a helpful handout (that may even include a map) on this subject. I got really sick last year on our trip but still had fun! Good luck.

tinker3
10-30-2006, 10:13 AM
We are leaving for DL about the same time. I do hope your little one will feel better soon. On our last trip, my 8yr old. started with Strep on our way home. It seems like you either get sick right before going, or count on picking something up while your there.

I have meant to ask if anyone knows of a good pediatric urgent care or hopital in the area. I thought I heard the closest one to DL is not a good place to go, but I don't remember. If anyone knows please post.

Devilwife
10-30-2006, 02:59 PM
Try some AirBorne for yourselves too and Airborne Jr for your son.
They have the new nighttime formula.
Worked when I had the starting symptoms of the flu.

g'luck

biolabetty
10-30-2006, 03:41 PM
I know the feeling, my 5 year old threw up several times the night before we were supposed to go. We went anyway, taking a bucket along, just in case, and she was fine, it was a 24 hour thing. I've also had my son get sick while at Disneyland, and we just had him rest a lot and gave him medicine. I never travel without my own version of a medicine chest and thermometer. I couldn't count how many times I've had to use them, kids just seem to know to get sick when you want to do something special. Here's hoping it's only a 24 hour thing for you too.

MammaSilva
10-30-2006, 03:54 PM
Here is hoping it's a 24 hour bug and please take this the right way. Until this past April I was in the same camp as everyone who has posted, eh it's just a little cold/temp she'll be fine. We stacked "OTC" meds for the weekend and she kept getting sicker, by the time we got her home and to the doc she had toncillitis that morphed into strep that morphed into a bacterial infection and if you have been around for a while you 'know' our story, 33 days in a hospital and almost lost her to the 'just a cold'. Hindsight is always 20/20 and if I had it to do over obviously we'd have cancelled. We didn't. She ended up fighting hard and winning.

I'm not saying your little one is that sick at all....but I will say this, as hard as it is to reschedule and as disappointing as it would be to postpone, I will never ever take one of mine on a trip that isn't 100 percent necessary if they are sick.

In addition, I have to say that taking her sick was inconsiderate of me towards other guests. I didn't think of it then, but now when we have to leave a line when we hear a cough or sneeze, I can see how inconsiderate I was of others who might have a medically fragile loved one at the park....I can't 'undo' my actions in the past but I do sincerely regret the fact that I might have compromised someone elses health by my choice.

momuvseven
10-30-2006, 04:14 PM
Since you have 48 hours why not have the child seen immediately at your own pediatrician or urgent care? Then you will have the medical information you need to make the right choice.

ladodgerjon
10-30-2006, 04:29 PM
I have to say that taking her sick was inconsiderate of me towards other guests. I didn't think of it then, but now when we have to leave a line when we hear a cough or sneeze, I can see how inconsiderate I was of others who might have a medically fragile loved one at the park....I can't 'undo' my actions in the past but I do sincerely regret the fact that I might have compromised someone elses health by my choice.

Amen!

This is why MamaSilva is one of my favorite "posters" on this site.

We had our small son in the hospital for three days last year due to a cough that morphed into a more serious breathing issue. In short, he caught a bug from another sick child.

Since his immune system has been compromised, he is more susceptable to further illnesses. Hand washing, disenfectant wipes and hand gels are now a way of life for us.

I beg you: if your little one is sick... please... stay home. Don't spread the germs. Reschedule your visit. Think of others...

Darkbeer
10-30-2006, 06:45 PM
As for possible dates in early 2007.

AVOID the first week of January, MLK, Jr. weekend, Valentine's Day and the President Day Weekend. These are always busy times, the rest of the 2 months, weekdays are reasonable light, and weekends are busy, but not packed.

ima_mickeyfan
10-30-2006, 07:05 PM
I totally agree with Mama Sylvia, I do have to say that on our visit to DL, my dd age 5 got sick on the last day there, good thing it was the last day! We were able to do a late check out thanks to the nice CM at the DLH. But we had no where to go after we checked out. it was noon and our flight didn't leave till 8pm I tried to get an earlier one but was not successful, so we rented a stroller and let her rest in it while dh and the others took in the last day. She tried to get up and wait to see the princess's but she ended up leaning over the railing and throwing up, I felt so bad for her, didn't even think of going to the first aide station to let her rest there, the worst feeling in the world, is when you can't do anything for them, and your so far from home. so needless to say.....I have learned from feeling guilty and like a horrible mother, that DL can just wait..It will always be there. But her high point was when we went back to the hotel to get our bags, Goofy stopped us in the lobby and when he learned she was sick, Goofy held her in his arms and carried her to the couch where he held her till dh arrived with car. that was picture perfect!

Whittibo
10-30-2006, 08:00 PM
I am so glad I am not the only one who thinks if you have sick kids, you should reconsider going.

I was in line today and this little boy sneezed and SNOT flew out of his nose and if I was a foot closer in line (Peter Pan, where everyone is close) I would have been snotted on! Getting thrown up on is unimaginable to me and I hope it never happens because I would be hard pressed to go to the park again I think. (I have a barf phobia and thankfully have been spared any occurances).

Some things are not easy to reschedule, but if you can reschedule, please do. I hope your little one feels better soon! My rule of thumb is any temp within 24 hrs, not to expose my kids to others. And if they have thrown up within 24 hrs, same deal. And just remember, if they are sick, you have a chance of getting it too, so think about how you will feel, kids are resiliant, adults, not so much. It's harder for us to make it through a day at the park under the best of circomstances, but sick?? I don't think I could make it from the parking lot to the main entrance. So you might all have more fun if you reschedule.

Pirate Princess
10-30-2006, 09:30 PM
You are usually contagious long before you know you are sick. Therefore there are 1,000's of people walking around DL who are shiny and happy and healthy looking but are infecting you at every turn. So.. a sneezy kid is just as germy as that cute girl with a clean nose who hugged Pluto right before you did.
Second, if you are afraid of projectile vomiting.. a theme park is probably not for you.
However, if your child is extremely ill of course keep them home. A little cold is much different then a major illness. However, my son sat at home on the couch for five days before he was hospitalized so it is not always being out in public that can make a simple cold turn into a life-threatening illness. Thankfully he is better. However, if he sneezes before our next DL trip or gets a cough, this will not stop us from going. He is a kid. He is sick every month.. usually twice a month. If he stayed home from school every time he was sick he would be in Kindergarten for the rest of his life. He would be missing so many days he would be unable to move on to the next grade.
That being said.. if he is more than a snotty nose and a little cough, we will go home or hang out in the hotel room watching movies.

kikid
10-31-2006, 05:12 AM

ahh, I'm sorry about your son. I have two teen boys and I still worry when they get sick or have a slight fever.
I've been going every January for the past 4 years. We go the last week in January and we have lucked out every year. The best AP rates are offered at the hotels, and the crowds are manageble. The weather can be iffy, but hey it's Disneyland and your son won't care!;)

Katran
10-31-2006, 05:51 AM
So Yenko, is your son feeling any better today?

I agree with MamaSilva, especially if he is running a temperature. You just never know what it's going to go into. When I got the flu it went into pneumonia after less than a week. I spent a week in the hospital and nearly died. I spent another month and a half at home on oxygen. I was misdiagnosed TWICE at the emergency room. My mother finally took me the third time and demanded more x-rays (ones just a few days before had been clear) and they showed that one of my lungs was almost completely filled with infection. My doctor said two more days and I would have probably been dead.

My daughter also caught what we thought was a mild cold. Within a couple of days she was vomiting so much that she had to be put in the hospital for three days on IV fluids. These things can come out of nowhere. You don't want to be away from home if your child needs to be hospitalized.

Don't take a chance. Someone else mentioned having your child seen by a doctor, and I agree. It's worth the hassle and additional cost to make sure he's okay.

I hope it was nothing more than a 24-hour bug and that he's feeling better today! :)

yenko427
10-31-2006, 07:36 AM
Well I took my son to the doctor yesterday morning and he is running a temp around 100 degrees at this point. They did an initial test for strep that came back negative. The second culture reading is this afternoon. I have until 6 p.m. to cancel our trip to get the majority refunded.
Still undecided on what to do but leaning towards not going.

Any suggestions for dates in Jan. or Feb. I believe there is some time of Miss Teen contest going on in Jan. and I heard it can be a zoo. I know to stay away from the holidays. Any other events going on that I should know about if we have to re-book? Thanks for the support and feedback.

Pirate Princess
10-31-2006, 09:06 AM
Well I took my son to the doctor yesterday morning and he is running a temp around 100 degrees at this point. They did an initial test for strep that came back negative. The second culture reading is this afternoon. I have until 6 p.m. to cancel our trip to get the majority refunded.
Still undecided on what to do but leaning towards not going.

Any suggestions for dates in Jan. or Feb. I believe there is some time of Miss Teen contest going on in Jan. and I heard it can be a zoo. I know to stay away from the holidays. Any other events going on that I should know about if we have to re-book? Thanks for the support and feedback.
Sorry to hear about your son. When rebooking you might want to check out this website: Anaheim Convention Center Events Calendar (http://www.anaheimconventioncenter.com/events.cfm)
Also, I recommend booking directly through hotel's websites so that there is no penalty to canceling (usually 24 hours in advance). Also, in Jan/Feb there are usually UNBELIEVABLE AP rates for Disneyland Hotels. So if you book a hotel directly through a website you can cancel and scoop up an awesome deal at the DLH/GCH/PPH.
I hope you have an even better trip in the winter!

Malcon10t
10-31-2006, 09:27 PM
Sorry to hear about your son. When rebooking you might want to check out this website: Anaheim Convention Center Events Calendar (http://www.anaheimconventioncenter.com/events.cfm)
Also, I recommend booking directly through hotel's websites so that there is no penalty to canceling (usually 24 hours in advance). Also, in Jan/Feb there are usually UNBELIEVABLE AP rates for Disneyland Hotels. So if you book a hotel directly through a website you can cancel and scoop up an awesome deal at the DLH/GCH/PPH.
I hope you have an even better trip in the winter!
She has an entire package booked, including airfare, so just having cancelable hotels wouldn't help her. But, at least she got trip insurance! So many of us don't.

Katran
11-01-2006, 05:23 AM
Yes, I always spend the extra money to purchase a cancellation waiver so I can get my money back if something causes a trip cancellation. So far I haven't had to do that, thank goodness.

Yenko, how is your son feeling?

yenko427
11-01-2006, 05:57 AM
Well we are home and decided not to go early this morning. As Alaska's phone lines are down unti 7 a.m., I ended up finding a number for someone that works at Alaska to cancel the trip before my four hour window. Thanks for the advice. I am planning on booking in January today, just not positive what looks like a good week.

Katran
11-01-2006, 06:02 AM
I'm sorry you had to postpone your trip. What a bummer! Your poor little guy, I'm sure he's not happy at all. But, if he's sick he wouldn't have been able to enjoy himself as much. Now maybe he can get some Disney dollars in his stocking at Christmas to spend when you go in January. ;)