PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal w/ "Tomorrowland"?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Pony Sugrue
05-18-2002, 08:10 PM
Basically 3 problems with "Tomorrowland":

1. NAME DOESN'T FIT
2. DIS-PROPORTIONATELY SPACE-THEMED FOR NO REASON
3. CONSIDERABLE DROP IN # OF ATTRACTIONS

I think the whole point of calling Tomorrowland--"Tomorrowland" is screwed up now. It used to be filled with ideas of what the future (i.e. "Tomorrow") would hold: travelling through innerspace, travelling through outerspace, travelling in modern mass-transits like the PEOPLEMOVER, submarines, or Monorails, landing on the Moon (later Mars), seeing movies in 360 degrees etc.

Now it is a big mess. Not only is it stripped of attractions (subs, 360 film, peoplemover, mission to mars, skybuckets, Rocket Rods all gone and not replaced), but it isn't necessarily about "Tomorrow" (the future) anymore. "Innoventions" nods to products of the future... but why is STAR TOURS in TOMORROWLAND ? That isn't "tomorrow", that happened "a long time ago... in a galaxy far far away". They need to move it (along with HISTA) to DCA's Hollywood backlot.

You might as well call it "Space land" or "Sci-Fi retro land" now. They haven't even made attempts to predict the future there anymore. The lame space exhibit only talks about the HISTORY of Space exploration... not "TOMORROW". Why does the future have to be in space anyway. In the 50's and sixties, the idea of travelling in space was a novel "futuristic" idea and thus included in TOMORROWLAND, but even then it wasn't the only theme. Don't get me wrong, I like retro sci-fi stuff, but it doesn't fit the theme.

Except for SPACE MOUNTAIN and AUTOPIA (I never understood its TOMORROWLAND qualification either), this land is terrible now. Not only is it lacking in attractions, but its very name is mis-leading.

Walt would not be pleased with what has happened to this area of DISNEYLAND.

BJW
05-18-2002, 10:52 PM
I agree. I wonder if it would help if everyone on the forum wrote a letter to the park regarding this? In my opinion, what has happened to this area is sickening. This was my favorite area of the park ten years ago. While Rocket Rods may not have been the best ride in the world, it added a lot of atmosphere to Tomorrowland and the que area was great for nostalgia in the original Disney tradition. If you all will write letters you can count me in. What would be the best way to let them know how we feel?

coronamouseman
05-18-2002, 10:59 PM
PS - no disagreement from this writer and probably none either from many of the frequenters of these discussions ..........

I guess the biggest disappointment at this point in time is the apparent lack of enthusiasm current Disney management appears to show for this "land" in both parks. Yes, there was some new paint and some new rocks added in both parks, but in general things have gone backwards instead of forward in T-land.
Indeed, the ever optimistic Mr. Disney would probably find today's T-lands showing their age and exhibiting a kind of tired banality compared with the vision and creativity which he tried to convey.

The observation about "Sci-Fi" land is probably the most notable - why not? At least then the attractions will not be hindered by any relationship to reality (as if they already were) and the imagineering staff would have license to anything and everything written and screened in this domain.

Lastly, it seems like T-land in both WDW and DL are vicitims of the "cash cow" philosophy which pervades those two parks - new attractions get plugged into the new "2nd or 3rd or 4th gates" rather than into the most famous parks. New attractions are designed to bring the newer parks up to speed or to generate new interest in those parks as opposed to upgrading the old warhorses which still pack in the bulk of the guests .......

Lacrosse Boy
05-19-2002, 11:30 PM
Stupid budget cuts. If only money weren't a problem . . . it only destroys everything.

Tink
05-20-2002, 10:17 AM
"Tomorrowland is borrring"

Something I overheard while at DL yesterday from a 10-year old (my best guess) girl.

Techie7
05-20-2002, 11:44 AM
Tomorrowland can be fun if you have a group. One idea... everyone can hold hands and dance around in a circle next to the Cosmic Waves ball. Good times let me tell you. BUT... you know there are issues when your group of nine is willing to stand around and "enjoy cosmic waves" and then groan when someone suggests going on Star Tours. That has to say something sad about the state of that show. ;)

Pony Sugrue
05-20-2002, 03:45 PM
Having been to TOMORROWLAND in Florida recently, I sadly found it much better than California's now. Not only does it have some new unique attractions, but there are also sad reminders of what once existed in Anaheim:

To my delight, the "Carousel of Progress" was rolling. I thought I'd never see it again.

The PEOPLE MOVER (a.k.a.- "Tomorrowland Transit Authority") was alive and well in Florida too.

Their "Astro-Orbitor" was spinning high above TOMORROWLAND on top of the "Peoplemover" loading area like DL's used to.

The Buzz Lightyear ride is a unique attraction; mixing a dark ride with an arcade game... and kids seem to love the interactive quality.

Although I don't really love ALIEN ENCOUNTER, at least WDW did something with their old "Mission to Mars" building instead of turning it into a Pizza place like they did in Anaheim.

Of course, Space Mountain and their "Autopia" (Tomorrowland Indy Speedway) were open too.

I've still never been to "Timekeeper" there, but there's yet another Florida exclusive.

Well, what about "Star Tours", "Innoventions" and "Honey I shrunk the Audience" out here in Cali? Well first of all, those aren't necessarily anything to be proud of, and second of all, Florida has all of those (and arguably better versions) elsewhere in WDW.

Florida's Tomorrowland may have two of DL's problems: mis-leading name and dis-proportionate Space Theming... but unlike DL, they have a full-blown slate of attractions.

Lacrosse Boy
05-21-2002, 04:13 AM
Drop in atttractions are annoying. Disneyland should definately think of something original.

80S ERA
05-21-2002, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Tink
"Tomorrowland is borrring"

Something I overheard while at DL yesterday from a 10-year old (my best guess) girl.

That would be unheard of when I was growing up during the 80s. Anyone who said that wouldn't be taken seriously.

Let's count the number of attractions in 1986 (Admission~ $18):
1. Space Mountain
2. Peoplemover
3. Adventure Thru Innerspace
4. Mission to Mars
5. TL Skyway
6. TL Autopia
7. America Sings
8. American Journeys in 360 Circlevision
9. Rocket Jets
10. Monorail
11. Captain EO
12. Submarine Voyage

Attractions in the year 2002 (Admission $45):
1. Space Mountain
2. Honey, I Shrunk the Audience
3. Autopia
4. Star Tours
5. Innoventions
6. Astro Orbiter
7. Monorail

If the trend continues, here's what it would be like in 2010 (Admission $90)
1. Space Mountain
2. Autopia (re-themed by Shell!)
3. Astro Orbiter

And, the year 2020......for a bargain price of $200:
1. Space Mountain (still haven't fixed soundtrack problems)
- A bunch of empty areas that were once rides.

Is the last scenario possible? It is -- if people continue spending money at the parks while they charge more for less.

RStar
05-21-2002, 09:47 AM
Hey! There is one attraction you forgot in that list of T-Land.

Radio Disney!

But now that Mark&Zippy are no longer there I don't visit. I'm sure that was a budget cut as well. They were the most popular DJs on Radio Disney, and when it came time to re-sign contracts, it didn't happen. Sounds like they didn't get what they wanted. Or they were just tired of being popular to the under age kids. Mark told me he would like to meet someone his own age and play some real rock 'n roll.

Any way thats not much of an attraction, and doesn't fit the T-Land theme , so never mind. You can forget it......

Maybe they should change the name to "SPACELAND"......

Oh, and don't forget the STARCADE that they cut in half! Is the upstairs beeing used for anything at all, or as empty as the rest of T-Land?

Man, the amount of square footage of property going to waste there must have some upper management worried. The T-Land manager must be sweating bullits when looking at the bottom line. I can't belive they aren't trying to come up with SOMETHING?.......
Question is, will it be cheesy, spacey, retro, or accually T-Land themed?:eek:

Lacrosse Boy
05-21-2002, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Techie7
Tomorrowland can be fun if you have a group. One idea... everyone can hold hands and dance around in a circle next to the Cosmic Waves ball. Good times let me tell you. BUT... you know there are issues when your group of nine is willing to stand around and "enjoy cosmic waves" and then groan when someone suggests going on Star Tours. That has to say something sad about the state of that show. ;)

The Cosmic Waves is closed.:(

Techie7
05-21-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Lacrosse Boy

The Cosmic Waves is closed.:(

Not true. Cosmic Waves just came off Refurb and is NEW AND IMPROVED. When I said "enjoy Cosmic Waves" I meant minus water. Cosmic Waves is no longer listed as a closed attraction but is listed in the guidemap which seems to show that it is open... it is just different then before. :D

Uncle Dick
05-21-2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by RStar
Oh, and don't forget the STARCADE that they cut in half! Is the upstairs beeing used for anything at all, or as empty as the rest of T-Land?
It's empty, save for the X-wing hanging on the ceiling and a thick coating of dust.

Originally posted by Techie7
Cosmic Waves just came off Refurb and is NEW AND IMPROVED.
I believe the Disney term for this is "enhancement". Cosmic Waves is one of the most misunderstood attractions of our time. It's really quite profound, you see, a mystic oracle into which we can peer to see our own future. In the future, the water supply will grow smaller and smaller, until finally, the entire earth (aka 2 ton granite ball) dries up. The graffiti and scratches on the ball are symbolic of the environmental damage humans are causing. Yes, yes!!! Cosmic Waves is just another of Disney's amazing attractions which shows how bleak our future will be. It's good to see that they're finally bringing the "tomorrow" back into Tomorrowland.

Matterhorn Fan
05-21-2002, 12:34 PM
Cosmic Waves is my new favorite attraction. But only when I'm really really really tired and loopy and with 8 others who are feeling the same way.

Iceman
05-21-2002, 12:56 PM
Reading all these posts got to me wondering something (special kudos to RStar for mentioning the Tomorrowland manager). Do you suppose that things like the seemingly inexplicable state of Tomorrowland and the resultant poor guest experience can be the result of something as simple as interoffice politics? Let's say the manager of Tomorrowland is a new hire who doesn't have any contacts, pull, or silver bullets. He continually gets outvoted in departmental budget meetings, and other managers may even successfully raid his funds to pay for their high-priority projects. Could that be what's happening here?

justagrrl
05-21-2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick
The graffiti and scratches on the ball are symbolic of the environmental damage humans are causing. Yes, yes!!!

We saw that the other day and I was absolutely shocked that they would just leave it like that. What an embarrassment.

...speaking of embarrassment...what's with all the people that still think they can move the ball? There was one group the other day that seemed quite intent on it. :eek:

Techie7
05-21-2002, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by justagrrl

We saw that the other day and I was absolutely shocked that they would just leave it like that. What an embarrassment.

...speaking of embarrassment...what's with all the people that still think they can move the ball? There was one group the other day that seemed quite intent on it. :eek:

I have no idea who this could have been. Everytime I am there the person trying to move the ball looks to be NOTAFRAID of anything. Look about half way down this thread! (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?threadid=4460&perpage=25&pagenumber=12)

cemeinke
05-21-2002, 02:03 PM

...what's with all the people that still think they can move the ball? There was one group the other day that seemed quite intent on it. :eek:

To quote Archemedis (I think) "With a lever large enough I could move the world"

Or of more interest to some members of this forum, "How many MousePadders would it take to get this Potential-Indy-Ball rolling (...down the Honey I squashed the audience queue)?"

Hey, it's not like the ball was left here by some sort of ancient astronaut or something... :eek: Hey, maybe....Nah...

:D

Iceman
05-21-2002, 03:02 PM

How can you reconcile this rather negative statement with the quote in your signature line:
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
-Walt Disney

coronamouseman
05-21-2002, 06:49 PM
Iceman: In regards to your hypothesis that each of the "lands" has it's own "leader" and that internal politics were a part of the current problems, I thought that there was simply a "President" of Disneyland who "ruled" over the entire park.

Your theory might be right on a different level, however - "East Coast" versus "West Coast" operations. It would be interesting to sit in on a meeting involving Eisner and his corporate entourage hearing the operations reports for the Anaheim and Orlando operations as presented by their respective "business managers" ..............

If Disney is like most big corporations, there can be and usually is a lot of competition for corporate attention and funding for various business units ............

coronamouseman
05-21-2002, 06:53 PM
One comment I forgot to add:

And since both Disneyland and WDW's MK are essentially the "cash cows" in their neighborhoods, Tomorrowland in either location takes a back seat to the other parks (DCA in DLR and AK/DS/EC in WDW) where attendance can be increased by new attractions or events.

MonorailMan
05-21-2002, 07:20 PM
I say blame in on Tom Morrow, he keeps saying in Innoventions that it's "His Land", so Tom, get off that platform, and get some ideas. :)

PineapplePrincess
05-22-2002, 03:50 PM
Oh how I remember when I first moved out to CA from NY and got an AP. Back in those days they had just opened the new Tomorrow Land. Everything was new and spiffy, it seemed so busy there.
Now I am so sad when I go there.:crying: When they took out cosmic waves it was the final straw. I just go there to grab a fast pass for SM and hang out at other parts of the park.
...At least there are still some other parts of the park....:)

Lacrosse Boy
05-23-2002, 04:24 AM
Any one know if there are any plnas to fix up this part of the park? The next rehab they shoudl majorly spluge their money to make something truly cool and amazing. I know, I am dreaming.:D

GREGOR
05-23-2002, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by Pony Sugrue
...AUTOPIA (I never understood its TOMORROWLAND qualification either)...

Just to shed a little light on this subject. I've heard it asked several times why Autopia is in Tomorrowland.

The simple answer is that at the time DL was built there was no complete interstate freeway system. The concept of a multi-lane "freeway" was a relatively new idea (anyone see Roger Rabbit?). The interstate freeway system was being built but had not yet connected the entire country. To travel across country at that time you had to take 2 lane highways that went through every small town on the way and were not built for high speed traffic because they were winding, had steep grades and the curves weren't banked.

What Walt was doing by placing Autopia in Tomorrowland was giving people a vision of what was to come with unimpeded freeway travelling.

(So in a way, it is kind of retro and fits in well with all the other retro stuff in "Tomorrow"land...)