PDA

View Full Version : Sword in the Stone

minkster74
10-29-2006, 09:05 PM
So a guy on my team at work was telling me how back in the "good old days" when he was young, so about 15 years ago I would place the time, Merlin would come out and announce that someone would be attempting to pull out the sword in the stone. Sometimes the sword would be pulled out by a guest and sometimes it wouldn't. If it was, the guest was treated as the "King" for a day and would get to zip to the front on all the rides.

Fast forward to 10.29.2006

I was there today and I saw Merlin call out guests to pull the sword out, not once, but twice today. Since renewing my AP this year, I have gone on average about twice a month, but today was the first time I ever saw Merline at that spot. Does the same special treatment apply for those who pull out the stone or has that been done away with. Was it EVER like that? I have to question the original statement by the guy at my work as he has a tendency to blow smoke out of his you know what.

ssturgeo
10-30-2006, 07:30 AM
I do not believe there is any "special treatment"....except for the fun of the moment!! I do not ever remember anyone being "king for a day" and have been going since 1955...but then...maybe the memory is not as good either!!!

Here is the most recent info I have:

Sword in the Stone
Several times a day Merlin the Magician selects young squires and ladies from throughout the kingdom for this test of strength and courage. If you succeed in this seemingly impossible task, you will be crowned the new monarch of the realm.

The Sword in the Stone is controlled off stage. If you look up in the window between Mr. Toads Wild Ride and Peter Pan you can see a green light and if you watch during the ceremony you will see the light turn red when it is able to be pulled up

splash
10-30-2006, 07:32 AM
My son actually got to pull the sword out of the stone about 6 years ago. Merlin presented him with a medal and a certificate. It was pretty special, but there was no King for the day.

hlbtimes2
10-30-2006, 08:19 AM
Both of my kids have been picked. They received a medal and a certificate, but we didnt get special treatment for rides. Most of the CM's we came in contact with would "oh and awe" over the medal, but that was all that was special.

And, just so you know, as an adult the sword will never come out for you. You might get picked, but you wont be special enough to get it out.

minkster74
10-30-2006, 08:36 AM
Meh....I guess he really was just blowing smoke out of his you know what.... :confused:

Boo's Mommy
10-30-2006, 09:54 AM
Perhaps it was in WDW? Doesn't anyone remember that episode(s) of "Full House" when they all went to WDW for a special show. All three girls were in line to try to pull the sword and the youngest one pulled it out? She was crowned Queen for the day and got to go to the front of the line for all the rides all day long. Now, this was a tv show, so it probably isn't real. oh well.

The Real Cinderella
10-30-2006, 10:39 AM
Perhaps it was in WDW? Doesn't anyone remember that episode(s) of "Full House" when they all went to WDW for a special show. All three girls were in line to try to pull the sword and the youngest one pulled it out? She was crowned Queen for the day and got to go to the front of the line for all the rides all day long. Now, this was a tv show, so it probably isn't real. oh well.

Yeah, that's what I was going to say too. This guy probably saw a Full House rerun and got a little confused.

Didn't she learn that being queen wasn't all it was cracked up to be? Or give the crown to one of her sisters? My memory escapes me ... But I know she went to a Mad Tea Party, which looks like fun.

Boo's Mommy
10-30-2006, 10:44 AM
to The Real Cinderella - Thank goodness I'm not the only one that remembers that episode! My husband's laughing at me!

minkster74
10-30-2006, 01:51 PM
Haha. So it seems he got a little TV Land mixed up with Fantasyland? I'll be sure to clown him on this one. :fez:

Malcon10t
10-30-2006, 01:57 PM
Doesn't anyone remember that episode(s) of "Full House" when they all went to WDW for a special show. All three girls were in line to try to pull the sword and the youngest one pulled it out? She was crowned Queen for the day and got to go to the front of the line for all the rides all day long. Now, this was a tv show, so it probably isn't real. oh well.Actually, that show, they rubbed a lamp and teh Genie came out and granted her 3 wishes... One was front of line passes.

But, no, even back in the 60s, you didn't get the King thing, you got a scroll. (My brother did it.)