PDA

View Full Version : Dec. 15 40th Anniv. of Walt's death

jcruise86
10-29-2006, 07:00 AM
Will Disneyland do anything to mark the 40th anniversary of Walt Disney's death on December 15 of 2006?

Maybe they could keep the Town Square flag at half mast all day, and then at the end of the day when they lower it a Disney executive or family member could say a prayer that uplifts everyone. Sorry to atheists, but speeches and moments of silence are not always enough for most of us. I was at a ceremony in EPCOT when President Reagan followed Disney's announcer's moment of silence by leading a prayer. For me it was far more moving.

I visited Walt's place in Glendale's Forest Lawn on the 100th Anniv. of his birth and many people had left flowers, drawings and other items to honor him. It was touching.

tod
10-29-2006, 08:26 AM
Will Disneyland do anything to mark the 40th anniversary of Walt Disney's death on December 15 of 2006?

They didn't do anything when Walt actually died on December 15 of 1966. You know, keep the real world outside and all that.

I doubt it.

--t
anybody who wants to leave flowers on Walt's grave, I'll be happy to join you

Opus1guy
10-29-2006, 09:27 AM
They didn't do anything when Walt actually died on December 15 of 1966. You know, keep the real world outside and all that.

I heard they did have a small ceremony at Town Square where they lowered the flag to half-staff.

I also recall reading where they made a simple announcement of the fact over the Park's public address system. I went to Disneyland the next day (Dec 16) and lots of my friend Cast Members were telling me how many Guests and Cast were openly crying at the news the day before. Some were still, that next day.

There's this "official" photo purportedly showing the Disneyland flag being lowered to half-staff on December 15, 1966. It's at the bottom right of this page:

http://disney.go.com/disneyatoz/familymuseum/collection/biography/florida/index.html

But by clicking on that photo to get a larger sized image...it's pretty clear that the Emporium and other Main Street lights are on and it appears to be dusk, and the dove cages are visible. Which makes me wonder if this is just a shot of a standard Flag Retreat ceremony taken that day or sometime in December. And that the "official story" that it's a shot of the flag being lowered to half-staff might be yet another "embellishment" Disney is often known to do.

I'm not saying they didn't do a half-staff ceremony. I'm just suggesting that might not really be a picture of it.

:)

jcruise86
10-29-2006, 01:17 PM
. . .anybody who wants to leave flowers on Walt's grave, I'll be happy to join you
I might stop by if it's a nice day to take my daughter to the zoo, which isn't too far. I went alone for his 100th birthday, but when I saw all the flowers and drawings I didn't feel alone--I felt a connection to all the wonderful Disney freaks who also stopped by. If half the people visit on Dec. 15 it'll be worth the trip.

Is that Ken Jennings you are photographed with?

I should have titled this thread, "Is anyone going to Visit Walt on Dec. 15th?" I don't think that the word death without a question enticed many people.

Vegitabeta
10-29-2006, 01:17 PM
Where is his grave? Not that I'm planning on visiting anytime soon, I just wondered:)

jcruise86
10-29-2006, 01:19 PM
Opus1, THANKS for the connection to that site!

jcruise86
10-29-2006, 01:25 PM
Where is his grave? Not that I'm planning on visiting anytime soon, I just wondered:)
In the Glendale Forest Lawn. You may have to ask a few employees before you find it. The Disney family has a nice little garden area along a wall, behind a gate that you can pass through. It's not a grave because Walt was cremated. I think he was interred in the wall, but please correct me if I'm wrong--and no tired jokes about Walt being frozen, please.

Vegitabeta
10-29-2006, 01:29 PM
In the Glendale Forest Lawn. You may have to ask a few employees before you find it. The Disney family has a nice little garden area along a wall, behind a gate that you can pass through. It's not a grave because Walt was cremated. I think he was interred in the wall, but please correct me if I'm wrong--and no tired jokes about Walt being frozen, please.
Oh right, sounds nice:) And for the record, I don't think he's frozen!

ladodgerjon
11-01-2006, 04:29 PM
There's this "official" photo purportedly showing the Disneyland flag being lowered to half-staff on December 15, 1966. It's at the bottom right of this page:

Since the photo was lifted from the Disney family site, I don't doubt that it's a picture taken on 12/66.

The weird thing is that the top of the pole is cropped out of frame, making it impossible to tell if it is, in fact, at half staff.

Just being picky.

bannercaptain
11-01-2006, 04:43 PM
If you need to find Walt's grave,the best site I can give is www.findagrave.com.Morbid it may sound but it does a nice job at those who wishes to pay their respect and gives very good location.
For those who are thinking of Walt's passing anniversay,is there a special time to meet there?
Cheers
bannercaptain

Opus1guy
11-01-2006, 06:40 PM
Since the photo was lifted from the Disney family site, I don't doubt that it's a picture taken on 12/66.

The weird thing is that the top of the pole is cropped out of frame, making it impossible to tell if it is, in fact, at half staff.

Just being picky.

I'm not so sure who controls the content on that web site. It is an official Disney go.com web site.

As for seeing the full picture and flagpole...just look at the thumbnail version. It shows the entire flagpole. Only the enlarged photo has the top cropped out for some reason.

Still to me...it doesn't look like they are lowering the flag to half-staff. It looks like a standard dusk-time Flag Retreat ceremony. As I said...look at the lights being on and the dove cages (back then it was a standard daily event to do a dove release at Flag Retreat time).

Seems odd that they would do a half-staff ceremony so late in the day when Walt passed away at 9:30am and the news reached the Park and it was announced just a few hours later.

I suppose it could be a shot of them lowering the flag from half-staff at Retreat time. But I've seen Disney "fudge" things so many times...I'm just a natural skeptic sometimes.

:)