PDA

View Full Version : Maynard Sighting

Pages : [1] 2

GrumpyUTboi
10-28-2006, 10:01 PM
As we were leaving the park before the choas of the fireworks started we were walking down main street and low and behold we ran into Maynard.

This guy is a class act and DL is very lucky to have such an employee. Maynard spent 10 min entertaining my family especially my children. He sang them two songs and told a couple of stories.

I had never met the man before, but I made sure to thank him for the time he spent making my tired kids laugh.

He did the radio commercial that he did in Hawaii for my kids, sang a song about the millions of strollers outside HISTA (interesting how he knew that my favorite attraction was) and then told a story about the invisible baby in the stroller. My kids were rolling by his facial expressions and different voices. Personally I was as giddy as a school girl. It was my first time meeting him and I hope that he stays at DL for a long time.

Another Dimension
10-28-2006, 11:37 PM
Cheers to Maynard!

Love 'im! :D

ghoofie
10-29-2006, 03:37 PM
In a few more days I'll be posting some info on Maynard. He has already given me the details and we (I) will post shortly.

Katran
10-29-2006, 03:45 PM
Okay, I'm ashamed to admit that I have no clue who Maynard is. Can someone please enlighten me?

dohgusgus
10-29-2006, 04:15 PM
As we were leaving the park before the choas of the fireworks started we were walking down main street and low and behold we ran into Maynard.

This guy is a class act and DL is very lucky to have such an employee. Maynard spent 10 min entertaining my family especially my children. He sang them two songs and told a couple of stories.

I had never met the man before, but I made sure to thank him for the time he spent making my tired kids laugh.

He did the radio commercial that he did in Hawaii for my kids, sang a song about the millions of strollers outside HISTA (interesting how he knew that my favorite attraction was) and then told a story about the invisible baby in the stroller. My kids were rolling by his facial expressions and different voices. Personally I was as giddy as a school girl. It was my first time meeting him and I hope that he stays at DL for a long time.

what's hista?

Rhiannon8404
10-29-2006, 04:23 PM
what's hista?
Honey, I Shrunk The Audience

ghoofie
10-29-2006, 05:12 PM
Maynard is the greatest CM to ever have graced DL.
To see his NON Disneyland stuff visit:

www.maynardland.com

sierranevada
10-29-2006, 05:30 PM
I had the pleasure of seeing him in the Tiki Room - he was hysterical!

Katran
10-29-2006, 07:42 PM
He's not in a costume that obscures his face is he? If not, I'll have to look for him next time I go. Does he tend to hang out in a specific area?

And I know this is off-topic, but a friend of mine from work has a daughter who works at DL as Winnie the Pooh. :D

Rapunzel
10-29-2006, 07:47 PM
Maynard is an amazing cast member.

I don't understand why managment wants to supress his creativity... he IS the embodyment of the year of a million dreams philosophy. He makes your trip unique!

Another Dimension
10-29-2006, 09:17 PM
Okay, I'm ashamed to admit that I have no clue who Maynard is. Can someone please enlighten me?

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid212/p42e19885210967d679f2629ea6dba150/ed64ab67.jpg

He wasn't really Grumpy! ;)

Katran
10-30-2006, 05:55 AM
Lol! I will have to look for him next time I go.

ladodgerjon
10-30-2006, 10:30 AM
Have been going to DL for forty years, and visit as often as once a month... and I've never seen the guy.

What's with all the creepy grimaces on his website? Is he one of those guys that is always "on" (I'm not talking about "onstage during a show"-- but, rather, take a look at the website. Sorta chilly in a John Mark Karr sorta way)?

DisneyDustin22
10-30-2006, 10:41 AM
Sorta chilly in a John Mark Karr sorta way)?

I apologize if I am reading this the wrong way but I don't think that I am and frankly, am somewhat offended that you would use such a reference to associate with a Disney employee. Especially Maynard. He is anything but. It's too bad you haven't had the chance to met him yet. Granted it's not like he advertises himself throughout the park. 9 times out of 10 you seem him doing his job, trafficing people, moving a rope stand, etc. It's only when prompted or he feels the need, does he get into characters and give guests a truly memorable experience.

ladodgerjon
10-30-2006, 10:55 AM
Whaaaat???

Are you suggesting that if you are a DL hire that you are perfect in every way? That it is unfathomable to suggest that there is the possibility that a CM could be unbalanced in some way?

I am wrong -- and apologize -- to suggest that Maynard is suspect in any way, shape or form of being unhealthy. You're right-- that's not fair.

That said, why does the guy feel it necessary to ALWAYS be photographed doing some sort of mugging for the camera. It IS creepy. Reminds me of being a low rent amateur who feels the need to always be "on."

Katran
10-30-2006, 11:06 AM
Some people are just like that. I've known more than one person who was one way at school or work, but very different at home.

ghoofie
10-30-2006, 12:22 PM
Whaaaat???

That said, why does the guy feel it necessary to ALWAYS be photographed doing some sort of mugging for the camera. It IS creepy. Reminds me of being a low rent amateur who feels the need to always be "on."

Being one of Maynard's friend outside of work...I can say that he is a very normal person. He loves to entertain people, especially children. I have the good fortune of being around him as friends outside of work and he is not always 'on'. Having said that....the pictures of him with guests..his antics of telling stories...singing songs....this is why people look for him at the park.
This is what they expect and hope for when they find him.

He does voice over commercials for radio and does story telling. He is also quite the artist.

MammaSilva
10-30-2006, 12:26 PM
Having been 'blessed' to get to experience The phenomenon that is "Maynard" in character at the HM, I can only say that he is one of those CM's that makes a trip memorable. I have great pictures of him with my daughter and we have his autograph in her book! He took the time to do a little 'artwork' for her :D and loved the pens we bring so much that I gave him the ones we had with us (I always bring a full dozen in case we lose one or whatever so I had more in the room) We haven't seen him since but I'm always on the look out ..he just adds so much fun to a trip.

LostBoy02
10-30-2006, 01:17 PM
Having been 'blessed' to get to experience The phenomenon that is "Maynard" in character at the HM, I can only say that he is one of those CM's that makes a trip memorable.

Ok I had no idea who this guy was until the HM reference. Is he the one who can make the totally corny HM lines almost believeable or at least entertaining? I cant really tell because in HM he had a grimace on his face and all his other pics have a huge grin.

MammaSilva
10-30-2006, 01:20 PM
Manyard can make ANY of the 'scripts' work magic but yeah, when in character at the HM..he rocks, but then I never got to experience him at the Tiki room and others have said that his Tiki Room Maynard makes the HM Maynard pale in comparison....

ladodgerjon
10-30-2006, 01:23 PM
... I look forward to meeting Maynard and seeing his talents firsthand. From what all of you say, it should be great fun.

Another Dimension
10-31-2006, 02:26 AM
Manyard can make ANY of the 'scripts' work magic but yeah, when in character at the HM..he rocks, but then I never got to experience him at the Tiki room and others have said that his Tiki Room Maynard makes the HM Maynard pale in comparison....

Tikiboy Maynard was always fun(!)...
It took Professor Maynard(o), to make HISTA actually incredibly entertaining! :eek:

The Country Bears Maynard was cool, because he had plenty of time to talk with and interact with random Guests and his many fans, and he could be wacky!
Main Street Opera House is still cool and very nice... but he is a lot more subdued and restrained, fittingly for the Opera House and his roles there.

But I think the OMG! rib-splitting, gagging from laughter; Jungle Legend of Skipper May Nerd on the World Famous Jungle Cruise is my favorite all time Maynard attraction ever! :D :D

Katran
10-31-2006, 05:13 AM
How long has he worked there? I've been going for nearly 30 years (though not every year) and don't recall ever seeing him.

Malcon10t
10-31-2006, 05:38 AM
How long has he worked there? I've been going for nearly 30 years (though not every year) and don't recall ever seeing him.
I've seen him many times from a distance. Would love to get a pic of him with our dog sometime. But we just never make it over to him.

Katran
10-31-2006, 05:44 AM
I have probably seen him and just didn't know it. I'll definitely be looking for him next time!