PDA

View Full Version : When would you go [March or June]?

pooh0200
10-27-2006, 07:03 AM
I have no clue when we wnat to go. We went last March and the August before that so we have delt with the crowds and with the rain.We have 3 different times we could got next year and not sure which one I want to do. Little back ground on us we will have a 4 year old and and a 1 year old. Plus at leat 2 adult might be 4. So we could go either March 2-6 which is a Friday - Tuesday, May 18-22 Friday - Tuesday again, Or anytime in June after the 8th for 5 to 7 days. If it was you when would you go. We want to stay at the tropicana so we will be really close to the park and will be able to go back to the hotel easily. Thanks
Leslie

yellowrosedtxn
10-27-2006, 07:22 AM
When I go, I do it in June (usually the end though so I can make sure everything is up and running during the week as well as the weekend).

That would be my vote. Especially if you can go during the week rather than the weekend when more people will be at Disneyland. And if you do it earlier in June than later, the kids will still be in school.

IdahoMike
10-27-2006, 08:50 AM
Depending on what you want from your experience, I think I would also choose June. Of course my reasons are because Pirates most likely will be down in March for the Will and Elizabeth additions, and probably May too, with the premiere hitting around that time. If you go in June, most everything should be open, and the park hours will be longer, which makes up for the increase in crowds, and wait times in line.

oregontraveler
10-27-2006, 09:09 AM
The March dates would be off-season I guess with smaller crowds but you would still have F! on the weekends. Having little ones, I would imagine you
going to back to the hotel for a nap etc. then come back at night. The
Friday-Tuesday or the June 5-7 days should give you plenty of time to see
everything. There is the rumour that the Pirates 3 premiere would be in Long
Beach in conjunction with the new west coast cruise ship. So in May, Pirates might be down for refurb, but NOS would not have the bleachers set-up.

ladodgerjon
10-27-2006, 11:59 AM
March. March. March. March. March. March. March. March. March. March.

Just my opinion as a person who was born and raised in Los Angeles.

March. March. March. March. March. March. March. March. March. March.

Am I being redundant???

Yeah, seriously. March.

No crowds. Great weather. No crowds.

Did I mention, 'no crowds'?

If you listen to everyone else, and decide on visiting in June, then come NO LATER than the second week of the month.

Private school kids will be out of school by then. It MIGHT also start heating-up (you never can be sure how long 'June Gloom' will play-out. This last year, June was warm, and the 'gloom' didn't really hit 'til the top of July).

May is GREAT, too, (April can be rainy) but that doesn't seem to be an option for you.

Some of the folks have good points about certain attractions being closed, so that might figure into your decision. As for me, it's all about comfort (cool weather and light crowds). Personallly, avoiding the aggravation of waiting in long lines beats seeing an AA of Keira Knightly.

momuvseven
10-27-2006, 03:53 PM
I would go all of those times but if I have to pick only one I would go in March. The heat is exhausting in June.

Rascalsfungirl
10-28-2006, 11:09 AM
I would be careful in June. We were there during the week and all the schools decided to have their day at Disneyland. It was not too bad, but I noticed the difference between going without all the kids screaming and some being disrepectful. Just something to be aware of.

kitty
10-28-2006, 01:43 PM
Your post also mentioned May as a possibility. Seems to me that might be a good bet - nice weather, kids still in school.

We went, as first timers with 2 daughters ages 14 and 16, the Wed. thru Fri. after Labor Day. Wed. and Thurs. were WONDERFUL. No waits more than 5-10 minutes, except for Indy, which was about 30 minutes and coincided with temporary breakdowns of Big Thunder and Haunted Mansion (so probably everybody flooded the Indy line instead). Some rides we virtually walked right on. Fri was significantly more crowded, but we wanted to do a Friday to see Fantasmic! and fireworks. We got so spoiled from the minimal lines on Wed-Th. that we chafed a bit at having some wait times on Friday. (we did notice that on Friday they had more units of the various rides running, with more personnel, so the increase in wait time was not as severe as the increase in crowd size that day.)
Some here say that they don't mind the crowds and lines, but to us those two uncrowded days were SOOOOO much more enjoyable. I think I would hate it in full summer with capacity crowds. Ugh. Spending time in lines is very tiring, even for adults and big kids. With little ones it would be a lot worse.
To be there on days when most kids are in school is **fabulous**, so do take advantage of your weekdays (if you go in March, May, or early June) One of the great benefits of homeschooling that we enjoy is being able to take vacations in months like May and September, when the weather is pleasant but crowds are light and hotel or house rental rates are low.

Oh, one other warning - I recall reading here that hordes of cheerleaders descend on DL in March, or is it late February? Someone here might be able to tell you the dates of the huge cheerleading convention.

Katran
10-28-2006, 02:00 PM
I say it all depends on what you want out of your trip. If you want to have as few ride closures as possible, go in June. If you want to avoid the crowds, go in March. I've been during both months, and personally I would pick March over June, but that's just me. DH and I went last year during the first week of March, and the only thing that was closed was Haunted Mansion (they were doing a big overhaul; why they didn't do that when they removed the Christmas overlay is beyond me). We got to enjoy everything else, and the crowds were quite lite. And we didn't see any cheerleaders, or any other big groups for that matter. Perhaps they go later in the month?

Contrast that with June of 3 years prior, when the Matterhorn and Space Mountain were both closed and the crowds were thick.

But if you do go in March, avoid Spring Break at all costs. The crowds are even worse than in June. I made the mistake of going during Spring Break two years ago, and it was a real nightmare.

nvmom
10-28-2006, 03:05 PM
We've only been to DLR twice, but both times were in March. The first two weeks of March. Upon checking, we found the second two weeks to be the cheer convention and spring break times. I would certainly recommend this time. We've had a wonderful time both years.

Yes, there are ride closures... but we loved the weather and lack of crowds. I've done a lot of reading here, and we just feel the high season crowds aren't for us, particularly my dh. We we there Thur-Sun, so we still got parades, fireworks, and F! on Fri, Sat for sure. Actually, the first time, March 05, there were no parades or fireworks at DL because they were gearing up for the 50th. We did get the Elec Parade at CA which was great! and lucky for us because we may never be there during the high times when it usually shows.

We found Thurs at DL to be very light, Fri got a bit busier in the evening. Sat at DL was more crowded than we liked so we did CA and then between the two on Sun as we have a late 9:30 p.m. flight. There were a few restaurants, like Hungry Bear comes to find that weren't open until Sat/Sun.

Good luck w/your choice...

nvmom

jcruise86
10-29-2006, 07:19 AM
Go the earliest June weekdays, subject to the warnings of Darkbeer and other Mouseplaneteers about specific events and work holidays.

Of course get there when the park opens, but we aware that on every day except (I think) Sunday, Wed. and Fri. those staying in Disney's hotels fill (well, partially fill) Fantasyland and some other popular attractions before the park opens for the rest of us.

Check Disney's calendar to see if there are special shows or extra shows, or if Disneyland is open later on a Sunday or a Friday that would make the park worth visiting on those more crowded days.

kisroo
10-29-2006, 09:42 AM
Personally, I'd go for a longer time and do things at a more leisurely pace in early June as opposed to March or May. The extra couple of days and limited attraction closures would probably make up for any crowds and you may get the summer hours/entertainment. Of course, we're going in June, so I should tell you to go in March or May so it won't be more crowded for us... ;)

Have fun no matter when you go!

~kisroo:)

Susan L
10-29-2006, 10:19 AM
I would choose your June dates simply because you have 5 to 7 days to play with:D

Rteneyck
10-31-2006, 12:46 PM
Last year we went the first weekend in June -Sunday to Thursday, and it worked out great. Sunday was a little busy, but the rest of the week was great. The weather was good and the park wasn't as crowded as I expected. We usually go in Sept., but this time we opted to try June. I honestly was a little worried, but everything was great. Our wait times weren't bad and by using the fastpass, we hardly waited at all for most rides. I think the food lines were actually longer wait time than the rides. Either date, I hope you have a great time!