PDA

View Full Version : Please reassure me that a Disneyland Christmas holiday isn't a mistake.

Pages : [1] 2

hawaiimom
10-25-2006, 09:14 PM
We've already booked GCH and airfare for Dec 23-27. My mom, brother and nephews are coming from the east coast and obviously we couldn't go another time because of school schedules. I've been reading past posts about DLR during Christmas and now I'm scared. I want to make sure the kids have a great, memorable time but that doesn't seem possible with "wall to wall people".

I took my kids for their first time last week and it seemed pretty easy. The longest wait was probably 25-30mins for Dumbo. I guess I can't expect that again? My nephews are 4 and 7 so they'll want to go on the bigger, more popular rides. Are the crowds too thick for strollers?

I'm trying not to obsess but it's not working.

tlovesdis
10-25-2006, 09:19 PM
I have never been there during Christmas, but I have friends who spent Christmas there one year and said they would never do it again! They said it was crazy packed, wall to wall people, lines were an hour and a half to two hours for rides, all the restruants were packed, even counter service, etc... They thought that it would be a quiet time and that people would not want to spend their Christmas at Disneyland and boy were they wrong.

I'm not trying to scare you, just answering your post honestly!

SoCalSteven
10-25-2006, 09:23 PM
Last year, both Disneyland and DCA were closed at maximum capacity. Even still, we had a good time.

hawaiimom
10-25-2006, 09:41 PM
Do you think last year was a special case because of the 50th anniversary? Or is it historically this crazy?

tlovesdis
10-25-2006, 09:46 PM
Historically Christmas through NY Day is THE busiest time of the year at Disneyland. My friends that I mentioned above did not go last year, they went about 5 years ago.

QWhisper
10-25-2006, 09:51 PM
We have been at Disneyland twice during Christmas. We found that Dec 23,24, and 25 to have very light attendance. We basically walked on any ride we wanted.

Now the days after Christmas were CRAZY.

It might depend on the days of the week that Christmas falls.

hefferdude
10-25-2006, 09:54 PM
Yessss and ...no. It will be very busy, given. It will be what you make of it.
Planning will be ki to your trip. Most of us MP posters could write rheems on the subject. Early in for attractions. early out for rest. Night time for parades and fireworks, snowfalls and all. ( fantasmic included ).
4 days is a lot of time to spread out all the "do's". Know your group and pace yourselves. Suggest you really really read up on the whole DLR experience and have all members in your group do the same. Know what you want.

This last suggestion may seem ludicrously simple but consider it a DLR challenge quest to make it a great holiday trip. And if something or other doesn't work or a few things go screwy, there's always next year.:)

Niele
10-25-2006, 10:10 PM
We've already booked GCH and airfare for Dec 23-27. My mom, brother and nephews are coming from the east coast and obviously we couldn't go another time because of school schedules. I've been reading past posts about DLR during Christmas and now I'm scared. I want to make sure the kids have a great, memorable time but that doesn't seem possible with "wall to wall people".

I took my kids for their first time last week and it seemed pretty easy. The longest wait was probably 25-30mins for Dumbo. I guess I can't expect that again? My nephews are 4 and 7 so they'll want to go on the bigger, more popular rides. Are the crowds too thick for strollers?

I'm trying not to obsess but it's not working.

Aloha hawaiimom, we're there from Dec. 18th - 23rd and have been visiting this post for a short time but what I have read is that even during the really busy holiday time, that if you just "go with the flow" it can still be a very wonderful, memorable time. :D I just can't wait to see the holiday parade with all of the special season decorations and snow .... at Disneyland! I'm waiting for VP to come out with the Christmas goodies so we can order for our grandkids (tree and stockings,...):D Just try to take it all in and have a most wonderful trip.

chrisaustx
10-25-2006, 10:38 PM
Last year a few days before Christmas, I was pushed against a wall on Main Street and practically pinned there. People were watching the Holiday Parade and nobody could move to exit or enter Main Street. I don't panic or spook easily, but being pinned against the wall by all those people was a nightmare. I for one will try to avoid Disneyland right before Christmas this year, just be prepared for anything. More Annual Passes have been sold this year than last, so lots of locals will be going for Christmas, so just be prepared for anything.

Malcon10t
10-25-2006, 10:47 PM

I'm trying not to obsess but it's not working.Well, I won't lie, it will be packed. The worst days will be the 26 and 27. Christmas day isn't horrible, but it isn't light either. Christmas eve is pretty packed, but the GCH has a nice quiet area for after the park closes.

I will be there. Its my favorite time of year there. The trip will be what you make it. Call now for priority seating for any restaurants you want. Sit down locations will be hard to get into. We take it easy, hit a few rides, wander the park, and enjoy the atmosphere. If you go with a plaan, and make use of Fastpasses, you should be ok. Take advantage of EE (Mon, Tues, Thurs and Sat. Not sure if they will do it Christmas day.)

ETA: It will be memorable. Make sure you see Rudolphs Reindeer roundup back in BT Ranch. Visit Santa. Take time to take in the parades and the fireworks. Get hot chocolate. Have a tamale. Have a contest with the kids to see who can find various holiday decorations. Watch the lighting of teh Christmas tree one night and the lighting of Small world another. Enjoy the snow!!!

SoCalSteven
10-25-2006, 11:06 PM
Do you think last year was a special case because of the 50th anniversary? Or is it historically this crazy?
Not 100% sure. We went last year with some friends because the year before and two years before were both very quiet days. I'm hoping it was just because of the 50th because I'd like to go back this Christmas.

adriennek
10-25-2006, 11:23 PM
The 23rd and 24th fall on a weekend this year. I don't want to panic you but I don't want to sugar coat it either - Any December weekend will be crazier than any weekday. This year Christmas will be a 3 to 4 day weekend for many people. I would totally expect the 23rd and 24th to be busier than average for those dates and the craziest of your days to be the 26th and 27th.

Los Angeles is a prime destination at that week because of the Rose Bowl & Parade. Besides the teams playing in the games, tour groups sell packages to non-sports fan tourists who have dreams of seeing the parade and getting away from the snowy winters of not-Los Angeles climates. A day at Disneyland is often part of those packages, in addition to locals on vacation and locals with out of town guests in for the holidays who want to visit DLR.

In other words: It wasn't just the 50th anniversary last year, it's the Rose Parade/Snow Bird phenomenon.

Adrienne

Momtowolf
10-26-2006, 05:50 AM
We have been there for Thanksgiving week and it was pretty crowded.....but if I were going at Christmas...I would make sure to have one HARD CORE DAY where you are fast passing and getting up super early and just going nuts to get the nephews on the rides.....let the family know that in advance and let them plan the day where you go Disney NUTZ. Then the other days you can know that your taking it more easy, seeing more of the details and really enjoying your time there....

That's what I would do......

marklodi
10-26-2006, 07:32 AM
We'll be there as well. I expect it will be busy, probably more so than when we were there two years ago for Christmas. Then, it was a Thursday/Friday/Saturday (23/24/25). The crowds were manageable on the 23rd, surprisingly light on the 24th, and moderately heavy on the 25th. I had heard rumors of them closing the gates on that Monday, but we bounced between the parks without issue.

Given that it will be a true weekend, I have to imagine more will take advantage of the three-day weekend and hit the parks. Are we going to let it bother us? Naw. Look at it this way: on the 23rd and 25th, Disneyland will be open 16 hours. On the 24th, 13 hours. That's 45 HOURS you could spend at Disneyland in just three days. Add an extra hour if you have an early morning....wow. I used to obsess and plan like no tomorrow. Now? We've made PSs for dinner meals and that's about it. The rest of the time, we're just going to go with the flow. Our kids are 11 and 15, so we'll be able to skip most of the autograph hunting stops and just focus on the attractions we really want to go on and see the parades and shows. We're not going to worry about it, because there's nothing we can do about the crowds, other than not going at all. And I can't imagine that being an option.

Have a great time. Enjoy where you'll be and who you'll be with. Don't let anyone or anything spoil that magic! :)

christer02 691
10-26-2006, 07:52 AM
I would recommend reading the "Uofficial Guide to Disneyland". There is not doubt that it will likely be busy during Christmas (I have been there when they close the park to new visitors early in the day). The Unofficial guide gives hints on queue control and ride order to maximize time.

That being said, you can go Disneyland, crowded or not, and if your in the right frame of mind and relaxed, enjoy the whole experience without going on many rides. I think that's what makes Disneyland unique among parks.

Enjoy your trip.

Mark Mywords
10-26-2006, 08:12 AM
You may want to check out Ridemax. Its a software program that you can plug in what rides/attractions you want to go on and it will print out a very specific schedule that will minimize your wait time for each attraction. It will also take into account the fact that those particular days are very crowded in the park.

Good luck!

momuvseven
10-26-2006, 08:18 AM
Last year I felt the same way and was scared to go during the week between Christmas Day and New Year's Eve. But dh had the week off and was insistent that no place else would do. It was crowded and there were a few times we got stuck in traffic. There are some times at night when the area in front of the castle becomes gridlocked with people and impossible to move and over near Fantasmic. We have become good at avoiding those areas and times. Just keep reading so that you feel prepared. Don't expect to go on every ride. The best times to ride will be very early morning and again the last hour before park close. In between see shows and take in the atmosphere.

We were fine with our stroller. Pray for rain too because if it begins to sprinkle people will leave in droves.

We had the time of our life and I have no regrets. We do have a trip planned mid December this year but DH again has the week off between Christmas and New Year's and he is talking about doing it again just because everywhere else is expensive, too far or too cold for us.

Just go for it. Until you experience it for yourself you can't really know if it is right or not. At the very least you are at the resort on a holiday and for most of us that is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Jason Reynolds
10-26-2006, 08:29 AM
My family and I were at Disneyland last Christmas and it was very enjoyable. There was a good amount of people but not "wall to wall". It's all about what you want it to be!

tonytone
10-26-2006, 09:11 AM
I'm not too fond of really large crowds myself, but heck--it's Disneyland!!!

FWIW--we'll be down there 12/28-1/1, and we'll have lots of fun--crowd or no crowd! Nothing like keeping the holiday spirit and cheer at The Happiest Place On Earth! :D

Prince_lv
10-26-2006, 01:32 PM
My family and I was there last Christmas season between the 26th and the 30th. It was packed. We didn't expect it to be that crowded but we had a great time. As long as you go with the right attitude and expectations you'll have fun.

adriennek
10-26-2006, 01:45 PM
As long as you go with the right attitude and expectations you'll have fun.

I think this is really critical. So many people come here after a "Bad" experience and the first thing out of their mouths is "I had no idea...."

On the really crowded days, plan to go on the less crowded attractions - save DCA for the more crowded days! (Seriously!) Change your approach from reading the threads with fear to one of education - What will you do to handle the crowds.

The good news is that you were just at Disneyland. You can think ahead about what you can't miss and what you can miss. Get together a list of "Must do" restaurants. I don't have a calendar here but I'm thinking you're in the 60 day window for priority seating. Don't delay, call NOW and get whatever priority seatings you can get and/or think you'll want.

Think like a boy scout: Be Prepared ;)

Or... think like a Pirate: Properly Warned Ye Be! :~D

Adrienne

bee1000
10-26-2006, 04:00 PM
As long as you go with the right attitude and expectations you'll have fun.
I'll third that suggestion. You will have plenty of time to do everything (probably more than once). As long as you - and especially the kids, I think - are prepared for a multi-day experience everyone should have a great, memorable time. You're staying right there, so you can easily escape for lunch and some quality swimming pool and afternoon nap time.

It's not what I would do, or when I would go, but that doesn't mean it isn't going to be fun for you all!

jenmclions
10-26-2006, 06:58 PM
We went last Christmas/New Year and found it very busy but by no means unbearable. As a previous poster said the key is to plan! We used ridemax and it worked a treat, well worth the small amount of money to download. I think the address it www.ridemax.com

We found if you get there early and do as much as possible before 11 o'clock you'll be ahead of the crowds. I don't think we waited more than 10 minutes for any ride.

Relax! Don't get stressed about it before you even get there :-)

californiagirlx7
10-27-2006, 05:59 PM
I'm also scared about going at Christmastime :( It seems like everyone is going this year at the same time. I expect December 26 to be packed, but I figured that many people (especially SoCal people) to have family obligations and other celebrations on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

disney_leonard
10-27-2006, 06:36 PM
Been there on Dec. 26 and it was pretty crazy. But we had out of town guests with limited time so there was little choice. Just keep the proper frame of mind, use ridemax and fastpass and be flexible. You'll have a great time and some wonderful memories.