PDA

View Full Version : Snow White Apple

cabozone
10-23-2006, 08:17 PM
Did anyone notice that the Apple at the entrance to the Snow White ride was missing? You can still touch the stand to make the Queen laugh, but it is one of my wifes favorites parts of the attraction.

http://www.ncc1040.net/i/noapple.JPG

Thomas
cabozone.com

Bytebear
10-23-2006, 11:13 PM
Looks like someone went home with more than Mickey ears for a souvonier.

MrsSmith
10-24-2006, 08:34 AM
Yes.....my kids were disappointed yesterday when they rushed over to rub the apple and it was gone.

Vegitabeta
10-24-2006, 09:07 AM
People used to steal the apple in the attraction as well, that's why it's a hologram now.

bradk
10-24-2006, 09:15 AM
as it was explained to me, hologram is a very liberal term here. also, what they really did in one case, also explained to me, is just move the old hag back further. on the same token, what i've heard was also stolen from time to time were the keys from the dog in POTC, although i never quite figured out how that was possible. reportedly it's one area not covered by camera though.

i doubt this apple was stolen though.

TTFN92
10-24-2006, 09:47 AM
I don't see how you could rip it off w/out someone seeing you. Wasn't it attached pretty well?

hbquikcomjamesl
10-24-2006, 09:50 AM
as it was explained to me, hologram is a very liberal term here.What? Not a hologram? What then? Some variation on the "mirage bowl" illusion?

Doug
10-24-2006, 10:43 AM
I usually look for camera's, and I seem to remember seeing one in this scene....

as it was explained to me, hologram is a very liberal term here. also, what they really did in one case, also explained to me, is just move the old hag back further. on the same token, what i've heard was also stolen from time to time were the keys from the dog in POTC, although i never quite figured out how that was possible. reportedly it's one area not covered by camera though.

i doubt this apple was stolen though.

ladodgerjon
10-24-2006, 10:58 AM
I had a friend who made it a habit to come home from each visit to Harbor boulevard with more than just a pair of mouse ears.

He must have had 3 or 4 apples... dublooons from POTC... a mini-sized pick from SWATSD (oops, I guess it's really SWSA)... a lantern from the Columbia... and lots of other stuff. I saw it with my own eyes. He's passed-on now, but I remember when he stopped snatching stuff.

It was the day he got nabbed trying to steal the arrow from the settler at the TSI burning cabin scene.

He clipped the wires leading to the cabin, slid underneath, and ran to the dead settler. About :30seconds later he was joined by a calvaryman who was tipped by an unseen security "spotter" located somewhere across the ROA.

He was led to the 'Mickey Mouse Jail' behind main street, and then taken -- in a police cruiser -- to the Anaheim jail. After he posted bail, he was released. Since he was a minor, his Dad had to take him to court... where the judge ordered that he pay a $50 fine to repair the clipped wires.

I sorta always thought my high school buddy was partly responsible for the inclusion of the holographic apple. Disney just got tired of guys like him taking the plastic apples.

In an odd twist, i just rode Snow White this weekend with my toddler and chuckled when I spotted what appeared to be a return to the plastic red & delicious variety.

As for the dog's keys on POTC, I cannot fathom how THAT would be accomplished.

Bytebear
10-25-2006, 11:41 AM
I will have to look up the article, but several years ago Disneyland Paris had a really bad time with hooligans in the park ripping off costume parts of CMs as souvoneers. Somewhere in France someone has a drawer full of torn off Mickey ears, Eyeore tails, Donald hats, and who knows what else.

CharliG
10-25-2006, 12:24 PM
I notice it gone on October 13,I asked a castmember what happen to the apple nd he did not even know it was gone?:confused:
Before that, maybe about 2 weeks, I had lifted both my son's to touch the apple to hear the wicked with.??

dsnydon
10-26-2006, 06:35 AM
Are still friends with the thief?

spectromen
10-26-2006, 07:33 AM
The Snow White ride includes both "hardcopy" apples and a holographic apple. Been this way since it reopened in 1983.

ladodgerjon
10-26-2006, 11:51 AM
When the Fantasyland "re-do" happened, ALL of the apples disappeared except for the holographic one... and a hard apple that was cast as a part of the witches hand (read: you couldn't remove it without accomplishing the impossible task of separating the witch from her hand).

The reappearance of 'dangling" apples is something that has occured since the renovation.

eds905
10-26-2006, 02:48 PM
David Koenig addresses this in mouse tales: "And it became a Grad Night tradition that by the end of the night someone would have swiped the poisonous apple from the wicked witch's outstretched hand. To alleviate the problem, when designers overhauled Snow White's Scary Adventures in 1983, they made the apple an untouchable optical image."

Stinkerbell27
10-26-2006, 09:45 PM
Don't worry!! We were there on Sunday the 22 and I asked the ride operator if it was stolen and he said it was in for repairs!! Don't see how it was broken, maybe they are gonna shine it up!! :p

ladodgerjon
10-27-2006, 10:57 AM
Well, last Sunday (10/22) I saw at least three apples of the 'dangling-by-a-thread" variety (all red & delicious, I may add) that reminded me of the old-school type of apple (read: the sort that could be easily lifted by kids on grad night).

RagtimePrince
10-27-2006, 04:22 PM
That Koenig comment and such just really isn't at all straightforward or correct. I guess the one mirror effect apple where the witch pops out of a door used to be a real one too, but the infamous "steal-it" apple is not at all in that spot. It's the unattached red styrofoam (or maybe plastic) one the witch has in the boat. Take a look too at the screen in the control console when you hop in next time, and you'll see the camera looking right over the witch's shoulder at people going by. I've seen it there and I've seen it gone on different visits, so it's definitely not firmly attached and is the infamous apple.

PS, on the second witch, it's not a hologram, it's a concave mirror. So really none of that "it was replaced by a holgram" statement is correct, or at least sure isn't in 2006.

Mystery solved?