PDA

View Full Version : Soarin' over California

gailirene
10-23-2006, 08:10 PM
Hi --

We've spent a couple of days at Disney. Tomorrow is Universal. We just peeked into DCA today and I saw that Soaring over Calif. had a warning to those afraid of heights. That's ME!!! Can someone tell me about the ride -- I gather you're not strapped into something like in Space Mountain... I don't like heights but have enjoyed rides like Space Mountain, Thunder Railroad...

Thanks.

Gail

Nancy
10-23-2006, 08:19 PM
You are strapped into your seat. (There is a little video on safety before you enter.) The ride has 3 levels that lift you up a few feet but you hardly notice because the scenes your watching are very cool and you just don't think about your seat. Ask the CM to seat you in the 3rd row ( closest to the bottom) if you feel more comfortable. But don't miss it. It's wonderful.

jswtsang
10-23-2006, 08:20 PM
I don't even like standing on a chair and I love soarin! Basically you're sitting in a seat with a seatbelt and there are handrails if you feel scared, but I never use them. It's a pleasant flying sensation and I get the feeling you could close your eyes and it wouldn't be quite so real. The chairs do move, so it's more intense than say and omni/circlevision type of movie, but if you're really terrified, ask for the 3rd row. I had only been in the first row until last night and I have to say I love the 1st row but the 3rd row would be good if you're anxious about heights, since it doesn't go nearly as high off the ground.

jt

bradk
10-23-2006, 08:42 PM
honestly, i'd go with row 1. i like to believe i suffer from extreme acrophobia and vertigo (i won't go on a step ladder if i can avoid it), but i've learned to save my irrational fears for climbing into bed (okay, i sleep on the floor) and let it go with amusement park rides, since they are much more controlled and safer (and if i gotta go, let me at least be having fun at the time).

nothing beats 1B. every other row, you have people dangling their feet in your face.

Bytebear
10-23-2006, 09:38 PM
in a similar thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=62056) I described the attraction as being similar to a ski chair lift, but in a seat belt. It is not jarring, or fast, and certainly not as jarring as a real chair lift (you don't get bumped on or dumped off). If you can handle a chairlift you can handle this ride.

This ride is so fantastic, I would just suck it up and go on it. If you really fear flying, go for row 3, the lowest row.

Here (again) is the intro video to the ride just before boarding which explains it without giving too much away. (I didn't make the video, so please no complaints on the awful sound quality)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8k0pG7C7eAY

kikid
10-24-2006, 04:34 AM
Hi --

We've spent a couple of days at Disney. Tomorrow is Universal. We just peeked into DCA today and I saw that Soaring over Calif. had a warning to those afraid of heights. That's ME!!! Can someone tell me about the ride -- I gather you're not strapped into something like in Space Mountain... I don't like heights but have enjoyed rides like Space Mountain, Thunder Railroad...

Thanks.

Gail
Hi Gail;
I have a FEAR of flying and I love Soarin!!! I started going on this ride as therapy, and now I can't go to the park without my Soarin fix!! Go, sit in the 3rd row for your first time. Graduate up to the front row if you like.;)

nvmom
10-24-2006, 09:02 AM
Soarin' is a wonderful ride... and I am the biggest chicken ever. I have never been on Space Mtn, Tower of Terror, Screamin, Big Thunder, etc.. you get my point. :)

I am not good w/heights but everyone kept raving about this ride so we tried it. Sent dh and younger dd first... Then my oldest dd-10 yrs at the time- and I went together. We had super nice people in line who calmed us down and told us to ask for the 3rd row. Yes, we were nervous... but it is so cool... I couldn't wait to go on it again after I had my jitters out. You'll love it!

nvmom

wabby1
10-24-2006, 10:31 AM
I too am afraid of heights, but Soarin' does not bring that out in me for some reason. If fact, its one of my favorite things to do now at DL/DCA. I don't know how much your phobia affects you, but hey! Take a chance! You'll love it!

tonytone
10-24-2006, 01:05 PM
nothing beats 1B. every other row, you have people dangling their feet in your face.
Personally, I prefer 2B; yes, you may see feet dangling above you...but the advantage of row 2 is that you're centered vertically--meaning, no one part of the screen is that much further from your viewing point than compared to the viewing distance to another part of the screen. I will concede though that row 1 offers the best "thrill" due to it being the furthest off the ground...but I think we both agree that regardless of which row, the B section/column is the most-ideal one to be in. :D

hbquikcomjamesl
10-24-2006, 01:13 PM
One does have to differentiate between fear of heights and fear of falling. If you can feel perfectly secure looking out a 20th floor window, but won't climb on your own roof without a safety harness, then you're not afraid of heights, you're afraid of falling.

In Soarin', the seatbelts lock, and they are a double layer of webbing. About as secure as seatbelts get. And the machine is extremely heavy, and secured to the foundation of the building; every move it makes is under complete control, and it feels like it, too. It's very easy to trust the machine and the seatbelts; thus, fear of falling shouldn't be a factor.

Bytebear
10-24-2006, 01:16 PM
Also, if you get into the habit of going always on row 1, you will miss out on some of the lower details like a rainbow that you cannot see from row 1.

grimgrinningirl
10-24-2006, 02:38 PM
Our first time at DCA we had heard about how great the ride was and wanted to go on it. My mother is scared of heights but she loves Disney rides and had to try it anyway. My apologies go out to anyone who was on the ride with us and had to listen to Mom crying "I'm so scared!" over and over, and "thank God it's over" at the end. Even though she was terrified, she was glad she went on it and is not wondering "what if..." So try it, but know what you're getting into! :eek:

sjcivilady
10-24-2006, 08:52 PM
If you can do Space Mtn, you can easily do Soarin. Space Mtn goes very high, although you can't really tell in the dark. Soarin is probably the best ride in the park.

Momtowolf
10-25-2006, 05:59 AM
I hate flying and heights...but LOVE LOVE LOVE Soarin!!! It's one of the best rides in the whole park!!!!

My 4 year old went on it and now she's 6 and can't wait to go on it again this trip!!!

I would much rather go on Soaring rather than TOT....ALthough I will go on TOT again with my hubby and kids this time.....I have to ride it for the sake of the team!! LOL

Katran
10-25-2006, 06:55 AM
If you can do Space Mtn, you can easily do Soarin. Space Mtn goes very high, although you can't really tell in the dark.

I totally DISAGREE. I have zero problems with Space Mtn for the very reason that it's dark and you can't see how high up you are. Fear of heights and vertigo rarely has anything to do with how high you actually are, but how high you can see you are. For that same reason I am able to go on ToT. In the dark I can convince myself that I'm not up that high (until those windows open anyway, and then I just don't look).

I'm terrified of flying, I'm terrified of heights, I have mild vertigo and I get motion sickness. Soarin' was a horrible ride for me, but I was in the second row and did not think to take Dramamine beforehand. It was a beautiful ride, but I was so miserable that I could not wait to get off. I was this close to screaming for someone to stop the ride. I've NEVER felt that way on a ride before. I seriously thought I was going to puke or pass out or both. I think the only thing that kept me from doing either was focusing on the feet of the person above me. I was miserable.

Still, with all that said, I'd like to try it again, because the scenery shots were so beautiful and I was really sorry that I couldn't enjoy them. Next time I will definitely be taking Dramamine and asking for the lowest row. Maybe it will make a difference and maybe it won't, but at least I'll know I tried.