PDA

View Full Version : First solo Disneyland 1 day trip report

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
10-23-2006, 07:31 AM
I took my first solo trip to Disneyland on Weds, October 18th. Dh had 2 back to back Orange County overnights, so while he was at work on the day between, I spent about 9 hours at the parks. It was GREAT! I walked, the crew stays near the airport, over to the airport in the morning with DH when he was flying out. Got right on Super Shuttle, of course we had to fill the van, but I was the 2nd stop. I just had them drop me at GCH, also made arrangements to be picked up there 1 hour after Disneyland closed.
I wasn't surprised at the line to get through security. With all the hotel guests and parking structure drops off there, that end of security was busy. We have always entered the park from the Harbor Blvd. side of the park. I loved the decorations above the main gates. Took a few photos and then a few of the Mickey "flowers" just at the entrance. The park wasn't too crowded but not as empty as I thought it would be. I had decided ahead of time I would NOT ride POTC, hadn't been on it since the changes, because I wanted to experience them for the first time with my 5yo, my kids didn't know I was at the park, that is his favorite ride. But that was the first ride I went on. (shhhh) I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. While there are obvious changes, the core of the ride is still the same. The new animatronics are great and I love the new special effects. It looks like everything got a much needed face lift, and the ride was terrific. I did ride it again as my last ride of the night. I spent the majority of the day just wandering around in shops, eating junk, taking photos, people and stroller (another obsession of mine) watching. It was so relaxing to not "have" to do anything. I rode HMH, BTMRR, Space, POTC, and TOT. That was it. In 9 hours, that was all I rode. Longest line was Space, about 10 minutes. The park did start getting busier as evening came, and there was quite a crowd for the Parade of Dreams, which I stood to watching, while I ate my ice cream. One thing I forgot to do was Golden Screams. I wanted to check it out, since we won't be back as a family until December, but it slipped my mind. I found some great gift ideas, that I will pick up in December, I had limited space in my suitcase going home.
I ate at Stage Door, gotta love the Mozz sticks, and had dinner at Pizza Port. I got 2 cookies, and ice cream, along with 1 frozen banana and a bucket of popcorn. And didn't have to share. I told DH it was therapeutic and I would love to do it once a year. He is still laughing at me for going to Disneyland alone.
I did a little shopping, at World of Disney after the park closed, which was a madhouse. Timing was perfect. I walked out in front of GCH and my Super Shuttle pulled up. I got to the airport just in time to meet DH who was flying in from Vegas.
Funny thing. On Friday, DH got a call from a friend of ours that lives in No.Cal. He and his family were at DLR all week. Had I known ahead of time that they were there, we could have met up for dinner.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AZuGbds3YtWsB&notag=1
There is the URL for my photos.

Lekta
10-23-2006, 08:40 AM
Great report and photos, thanks so much for sharing!

Some day, I'd like to try out the solo thing, although, part of the magic of the park is that me and my wife get to enter a stress free and fun world together. I'm sure I'd have less fun alone, however, I'd still have fun!

hlbtimes2
10-23-2006, 09:11 AM
Sounds like my kind of day!

Yesterday, dh told me he is going to Long Beach for work next week. I got excited and asked if I could come too. Of course he wanted to know why I would want to come along. In 6 years with the company I've never asked. I told him that I want to go to Disneyland! He said "well, you know I'll be working, I cant go with you". Yeah, I know. I want to go alone! I want to do just what I want- eat when and where I want, watch shows, take pictures, use single rider lines. I dont want a long trip. Just one or two days. He really thinks I'm crazy to want to go alone.

I would have to pay for my flight, so about $225. I have an a/p, so no cost there. I figured I could stay at the hotel with him, and the company pays for that.

But, he said that wont work. :( He has to room with another employee, and I cant stay with him and someone else. I'm going to ask him to put a bug in someones ear- if they have an odd number and someone has to room alone, can it please, please, please be him.

cactusgirl
10-23-2006, 09:57 AM
I LOVE going to the parks alone. i have done both coasts by myself and adored it. I could be as selfish as I wanted riding only what I wanted as many times as I wanted. Although, I usually don't ride very many things. I take a book, find some nice out of the way spots and just soak in the atmosphere.

There are times I get a little sad and have to call my dh or dd so they can "share" the day wth me. But really I take that time to explore out of the main stream things that I can do with my family when they come. Plus, I get to have some great conversations with CMs--the real heart of the park.

I also delight in answering people's questions and giving those newbies some tips on things they can do. On my last trip, I kep running into this family. Everytime I saw them they would ask for another "tip." It was a fun game.

Congrats on enjoying your day!

Alice Fan
10-23-2006, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the great post! I've been wanting to go to DL solo for a couple of years now...what fun to watch the shows and parades I want, eat when I want, shop as much as I want...heaven! I'm going to start planning a "Me" day at Disneyland!

danyoung
10-23-2006, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the report and the pics - you have an excellent eye!

oregontraveler
10-23-2006, 11:52 AM
Ditto on the pics. It's good to hear that it wasn't just about the rides that
day. A rare opportunity to see the parks without the kids in tow.

Gone2Disneyland
10-23-2006, 04:03 PM
Congrats on your fun-filled solo day! I used to go solo often when I first picked up my AP. Lately I've been going with friends when we discovered we had APs too. Now, after reading your post, I'm missing the solo days again! :p

jdee
10-23-2006, 04:16 PM
I have been doing solo days for about three years, since having an AP. I enjoy going solo, it is nice to take your time and do whatever, whenever. I have also been to WDW solo and enjoyed that. When I tell people I go alone that think I'm nuts, but that's OK, I probably am. But it is also special when some of the family can go, especially since I now have grandkids!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
10-23-2006, 07:27 PM
I have been doing solo days for about three years, since having an AP. I enjoy going solo, it is nice to take your time and do whatever, whenever. I have also been to WDW solo and enjoyed that. When I tell people I go alone that think I'm nuts, but that's OK, I probably am. But it is also special when some of the family can go, especially since I now have grandkids!
The flight attendants that DH was working with, he is a commercial pilot, thought I was crazy to go alone. Not that they didn't think it was safe, but they thought it was odd to want to be somewhere with so many people, and to even think of being able to have a good time being alone. They also seemed proud that I made it to and from the airport with no problems.

erica84
10-23-2006, 08:20 PM
Wow - good for you! The pictures were fun to look at too. I have always wanted to go solo to DL but I haven't had the opportunity yet. That would be great to be able to go on a ride or eat somewhere without having to ask anyone else what they want. By the way, we'll keep your secret about going on POTC without your little boy! ;) How awesome to know that your next trip isn't so far away. :)

Rkkm
10-23-2006, 09:06 PM
LOVED the pix! Almost like being there. Thank you so much for sharing your fun day with us.

I want to go, too!

kimi911
10-24-2006, 12:46 PM
I would never be comfortable trying to enjoy the park alone. I'd be happier alone at home than being alone at Disneyland. When I was young I got lost for like a hour (I was a teenager), but it was just so boring and stuff. I wouldn't want to do a whole day alone.

However, I'm glad you had a wonderful time! Cool review.

Micmousetoo
10-24-2006, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the pictures! I have never thought of going to DL for Halloween. I had traveled to DL Paris about 5 years ago around Halloween time and I didn't really like the decorations they had up. The ones in your pictures are really cute. Also, I have never seen the Mickey face in front of DL dressed up with a mask. I like it!!

danyoung
10-24-2006, 05:56 PM
I would never be comfortable trying to enjoy the park alone. I'd be happier alone at home than being alone at Disneyland.

All I can say is try it some time. The whole dynamic of the trip changes. Instead of doing everything with the group, you're free to zip off in whatever direction suits you. And in a place like DL you can find plenty of interesting stuff to watch, like people's interactions with each other, or talking to a stranger in line, or just sitting and watching people enjoying their day. It's a very cool vibe!

june1st1997
10-24-2006, 06:36 PM
This thread has completely inspired me. I have toyed with the idea of a solo trip, but was just too afraid to try it.

Now I feel like I really must try this. Thank you Mommyto2boys!

I hope I have as good a time as you did!

:)

jrsharp21
10-24-2006, 06:41 PM
I will be going at it alone on Nov. 15th. Going down for a business trip and will zip on over to the park for a day before my workshop.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
10-24-2006, 07:32 PM
I don't think Disneyland solo is for people who don't know the park like the back of their hand, and fear they would get lost. But as long as you can read a park map, I don't see getting lost being a problem. I also don't think Disneyland solo is a good option for someone who may only have one opportunity in their life to go etc.
I am glad I have inspired some to try it. I hope those that do, enjoy their day, and can relax and enjoy the park without feeling rushed or hectic. I am hoping to make it an annual thing.