PDA

View Full Version : Last-minute questions (Citypass at Costco, Char. Warehouse, etc)

jamsandwich
10-22-2006, 10:37 PM
It's less than a week before we depart Canada for the U.S. and our trip to Disneyland (and other places, but as always it's the main draw).

This is the fourth trip with my wife, so we know how it's worked for us in the past, but this time around we're going with her sister and her family, and doing a few different things. The key questions:

1) Citypass: I know Costco offers it online, no good for us since they won't ship to Canada (and it's a little late now). Costco Canada doesn't offer it. I know it's apparently quite hit and miss, but has anyone had any success finding one anywhere remotely in the area of Anaheim or in between LAX and Orange? Any insight on where else we might be able to get a deal on this? We're fine paying full price, but it's sad if we could've paid $25 less.

2) Autograph books: My sister-in-law wants to get our nephew an autograph book. How much do they cost, and do we have a reasonable chance of finding them at the character warehouse in Fullterton (it is Fullerton, right?)

3) Kids: Our nephew is 8. It's our first time going with kids and I'm sure it'll be fantastic... but any suggestions? Our first day in the park will be a half-day, not sure if we should try to do parades and stuff like Fantasmic, or if we should put him on rides first. It's his first visit to anything remotely as cool as Disneyland. The key to our past successes in Disneyland has been flexibility, but as the ringleader of our little circus, I want to have something of a gameplan, because I know if I don't, we might have other members in their party twiddling their thumbs and saying "I dunno, what do you want to do."

I'm sure I've got more to ask. Needless to say, any help is greatly appreciated. Pumped about the trip. It'll be my first look at new Pirates and Haunted Mansion Holiday. It'll also be my first chance to ride Space Mountain since I was 5 (That's 20-some years). Maybe next time I'll get to ride the subs for the first time since I was 5. :)

DianeM
10-22-2006, 11:39 PM
There are plently of CostCo's in S Cal - but are they the same organization you have a card for in Canada? You may want to call in advance to make sure your card will work at a U.S. CostCo. Here are stores within 20 miles of Anaheim:

http://www.costco.com/Warehouse/locator.aspx?cm_re=1-_-Top_Right_Nav1-_-Top_locations

I wouldn't worry too much about the cost of the character books. Make sure to take a bulky pen - the characters have big fingers.

As for what to do... EVERYTHING. Okay, seriously. They have a "Jedi Training" program for kids right now that my husband would have loved to try (he is only a child at heart, which doesn't qualify). Turtle Talk is pretty cool, although it may be a bit young for an 8 year old. It really depends on how much he is willing to relax. Pretty much any ride is okay for that age. Autopia is closed. If he's really into the characters, then watch the parades, otherwise, skip them and take advantage of slightly slower lines during parade time. My nephew loved the 3D movies at DL and DCA, and I haven't met anybody who doesn't love Soarin over California (get a fast pass even if the line doens't look long). Grizzley River Rapids and Splash Mountain are fun, wet rides for hot afternoons, but even if it's a bit cool they are fun. Check out Bily HIll and the HIllbillies at the Golden Horsshow Saloon - there were a lot of young boys with wide eyes watching the men play their instruments. It's a fun show.

We don't like schedules, but we did make a list of what we wanted to do, just to make sure that we didn't miss anything. With a list, you get the best of both worlds - the flexibility of moving with (or against) the crowds, and the ability to avoid finger twirling while you try to figure out what to do. Use psychology to avoid the crowds as much as possible. Go on Buzz Lightyear POTC and HM early in the day and Jungle Cruise late in the evening. Shop midday, and go on Fantasyland rides while the kiddies are having their afternoon nap. Get a FP for Splash early in the morning, then get another one when you ride, so you can ride it again later. If you see a short line, get in it. If you see an empty space, go there... there will be something happening soon enough. The Tiki room is one of the best deals in the Park. You get a Dole Whip for $2.75, and you can watch the pre-show while you wait, then you get a really neat show while you eat the Dole Whip - sitting down (sitting down will matter a LOT after a few days in the Disney Corporation Fitness Program. Another good sit down is the theatre show about building Disneyland where they used to have Mr. Lincoln. Use the traisn wisely - during parade times, it may be faster to take a train from NOS to TL than to try to walk. If he can stay up late, try for the 10:30 Fantasmic. Much more manageable. We got good spaces near the saloon when they lifted the ropes after the first show. Watch out, though, some areas are "sitting only". Then, after the show, sit an wait 5 minutes. '

Enjoy!
[

jamsandwich
10-23-2006, 01:18 AM
It's the same company, and historically, a membership at Costco Canada has worked in U.S. stores. Don't know if it's changed, but I doubt it. The bigger concern is that a trip will be a waste of time in our rather tight schedule. We'd kind of hoped we could go to the character warehouse and the Costco in Fullerton (both on Harbor, IIRC) and kill two birds with one stone... especially if the Disney store offered autograph books at a cheaper rate :)

MammaSilva
10-23-2006, 03:52 AM
I've never seen the autograph books at the warehouse, ever, but since they just cleared the 50th stuff from the park and there were 50th themed autograph books there's a remote, and I want to repeat that ...remote...chance...but not enough to make me give up my time at the park if you're going to the warehouse looking for specific items to be reduced. I haven't been to the outlet/warehouse in a while but my 'virtual shopper' hasn't mentioned seeing any autograph books on his recent visits. There is a Costco down in that same 'block' area as the Warehouse, the Target, IN & OUt and Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf. Hope that helps on those type of questions.

As for the 8 year old, if your there for a few days I'd take the 1st half day and soak up the fact that you're IN Disneyland....don't make the same mistake I did when I took my brother and his family the very first time. I thought his sons would be all about the 'thrills' so we did it differently than I normally do and it was late late in the day before we walked thru the Castle and both boys looked up and said NOW it feels like we're in Disneyland....so I'd suggest wandering down Main Street...pause at the hub and take pics with Uncle Walt and Mickey then head across the drawbridge into Fantasyland..even if you don't ride ...then hang a right at the carousel and head over to tomorrowland for buzz lightyear and the Jedi Academy and Star Tours which is almost always a very short wait...if he really is into Mickey and the characters, you can head into Toontown and cruise thru Mickeys house out to the barn, or ride Roger Rabbits cartoon spin ....I wouldn't wait in a LONG line for Gadget, the ride is less than a minute. Meanwhile make sure to grab him a guide to the magic with a map and list of attractions so he can be looking at it anytime you have to wait in lines.

mickeyxminnie
10-23-2006, 04:20 AM
hi sorry but can someone please tell me where the costco and character warehouse is? an address of the mall or whatever would be very helpful as im from aus and have little knowledge of whats where.

thanks

jswtsang
10-23-2006, 07:25 AM
I just went to disney's character warehouse in fullerton, while I wasn't looking specifically for autograph books, I don't think I saw any. If you want to maximize your shopping, they would most likely be in the front middle on that display next to the pins. I have seen the citypass before at costco in san diego so i'm guessing it would be worth a shot, they usually have them in the first few rows, hanging on a display, they're in big plastic containers that you have to bring to the front and i think they give you something else in return for them, i.e. the containers don't have real tickets.

Hope that helps.

Oh the disney's character warehouse is in the Orange fair mall on the corner of Lemon and Orangethorpe street.

jt

mulansgirl
10-23-2006, 01:28 PM
I would try ebay for an autograph book or other Mini gifts. I searched for Disney party favors found some really great stuff. I found some neat Photo albums That I just had the characters sign with a click sharpie, and I slid a scrap book page of the character and niece behind, makes a really nice memory book and you actually look at the autographs. Just a thought.
Good luck on the City pass.

ThemeParkAddictOfOC
10-23-2006, 01:49 PM
I was at Disney's Character Warehouse last week. I recall seeing a sign for the autograph books over an empty bin. $8 maybe? They are only about $12 at the park for the ones with the photo sleeve.

243 Orangefair Mall
Fullerton, CA 92832
714-870-9363

Nothing that I was dying to have or didn't already have ...

I got a Buzz Lanyard for a nickel, a 50th pin and a 50th Goofy.

Go to the city of Anaheim's chamber of Commerce page for a 10% off coupon.

As for 8 year old boys, I find that they like those boats (i.e. Mark Twain and the Columbia). In general, the Columbia runs on weekends from 12-3 pm during the off-season. Keep that in mind if the lines are long.

Leap for Joy
10-23-2006, 05:53 PM
If you're going to Character Warehouse, there is a Costco directly across the street to the north. Perhaps you could get your tickets and get some shopping done as soon as you arrive in Anaheim.

jamsandwich
10-23-2006, 09:51 PM
Thanks for all the tips, folks. I guess the one question that (understandably) hasn't been answered is whether the Citypass is actually available at any nearby Costco stores.

I can totally understand it's a hard question to answer here, since anyone that close probably has an AP (as would I if I lived there). Assuming it's unanswerable, in the end, the basis for the decision may be traffic that day and how long our car rental takes to organize (it would be a bit of a pain to make two stops and wind up empty-handed from both -- the character warehouse is an add-on if Costco is a go... otherwise, we'll head there sometime later in our trip)... I'm a little concerned the Costco locations in the area are a little too close to D-land and therefore might not stock the passes.

Anyhow, thanks again to all for the help... Trip is coming up in a hurry. Leaving Friday. Woohoo! :)

stan4d_steph
10-24-2006, 07:41 AM
Thanks for all the tips, folks. I guess the one question that (understandably) hasn't been answered is whether the Citypass is actually available at any nearby Costco stores.Have you tried calling a store? That would be my suggestion.

Bolivar
10-24-2006, 07:57 AM
I was just about to say that -- call the store. But the other thing is that if they say no, ask someone else. In August I went to the local Costco and couldn't find where to get the tickets. I went to the service desk and asked and they told me that they didn't sell them in the stores and that I had to go to costco.com to get them. I started walking to my car and decided that didn't sound right, so I went back in and walk to the front of the line at the checkout register, leaned in and said, "Excuse me, do you know where I would get Disney tickets or the Southern Cal City Pass?" The bagger said, get in line and I'll find out. I got in line, he was gone a while and came back with them.

ThemeParkAddictOfOC
10-24-2006, 11:44 AM
Have you tried calling a store? That would be my suggestion.
OP is in Canada. ;)
If I was going to Costco soon, I would check myself. I think that the hope of the OP, without being so bold as to actually ask, is for somebody who lives in the general area that is at Costco anyway to spend two or three minutes out of their trip and check for the OP. I coud check, but I am not nearly the closest person at the closest Costco. That's my theory. Am I right?

MammaSilva
10-24-2006, 11:54 AM
Ok, just cuz I can (I have unlimited l/d) I called the Costco we're all thinking of, according to their main desk, none of the "L.A. areas' carry the CityPass in the stores, down there they are only available thru costco.com. BUT if you're driving down you might want to stop further north and check? I know that "my" Costco here in the bay area has them, along with PGA and movie tickets and a ton of other amusement/theme park stuff but not Six Flags ones....so maybe they don't carry them in the local areas?

Anyone else wanting to give it a chance that I got the wrong information:

Costco
900 Harbor Blvd
Fullterton, ca

714 738 7521

jamsandwich
10-24-2006, 11:59 AM
Thanks very much, MammaSilva. I had suspected that somewhat, based on what I'd read through searching here (talk of it being a crapshoot, etc.)

We're flying into LAX and plan a half-day in Disneyland after we land (we have a very compressed schedule), so it's nice to know a trip to Costco is likely fruitless. We already have a small handful of things to do after we get in -- and any streamlining we can do will get us into the park quicker :)

MammaSilva
10-24-2006, 12:09 PM
Glad I was able to help a bit.

disney jones
10-24-2006, 12:42 PM
We already have a small handful of things to do after we get in -- and any streamlining we can do will get us into the park quicker :)so i'm wondering if you're making a special trip to the character warehouse just to save $4-$5 on an autograph book (perhaps somewat outdated at that)?

i say head to the park and spend an extra half hour at The Happiest Place on Earth and a few extra dollars for a book there (and ignore the fact you could have saved a few dollars by taking a half hour drive on unfamiliar surface streets of a major metropolitan area).

if you have other reasons or desires to visit the Character Warehouse, ignore this input.

Have fun!!!

jamsandwich
10-24-2006, 01:01 PM
so i'm wondering if you're making a special trip to the character warehouse just to save $4-$5 on an autograph book (perhaps somewat outdated at that)?

i say head to the park and spend an extra half hour at The Happiest Place on Earth and a few extra dollars for a book there

Thanks, it's a very good idea and what we'll be doing.

The plan was we'd swing by the character warehouse and Costco since they're not far apart (Since the savings at Costco would have amounted to about $125 for our party), so the Costco answer sort of kills two birds with one stone. :)

We'll visit the CW another time during our trip. As for finding my way there, I'm pretty comfortable with it. This'll be our third time driving around SoCal, and the Character Warehouse is familiar territory for us. We're going a little further afield in terms of visiting San Diego, but that's what Mapquest is for :)

Have fun!!!

Thanks!