PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on Hojo Plaza

Pixie Glitter
05-17-2002, 07:42 AM
Hi all,

I have a reservation at the Howard Johnson Plaza on Harbor (supposedly right across the street from the main gate). Has anyone stayed there in the last couple of years? I'm interested in how long it takes to walk to the parks and any feedback on how nice the hotel itself is--cleanliness, noise level at night, friendliness of staff, etc.

TIA!

justagrrl
05-17-2002, 08:37 AM
It might be across the street - but disneyland is big and across the street is different then across the street from the main gain. You can only cross in one area due to the new fence put up to stop people from jaywalking. (thankfully - there are some crazy people who think that cars can't hit them.)

look at this map (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?zoom=7&mapdata=jZ2g%2b%2fXW8V884%2b7PFSR29qnEHFIzFWYQLFo5 khbmxMnx4GOS7wWY%2bwX0T8XG3n0%2f6pybBajMEp%2ft9E6U bVYI%2bCn1jpWE3JjeOf1pHUWcCPLCuwtLpycRQ96asdhP%2bh JDWX6vnbHnNoq2h1dGbXcNqQWjTvMuBNL2KdXKfF6kINpe%2bl 5PmCuRQNWD9%2fFa9X5DWfRYdafXQXmcYJwqdMAouiZZIe%2bl JmKSGeWvPeiK8yLMd5yca4OQEqHQwGWRr70Fs4pEt8Y3hQF44B iijfwTazJQN2YuDRr%2fz8bwneP11inP8qJLfj%2fsriDKDJNI 4xMtL7Zp75faWQjptob8ZswKiaOmdiEHvYxDBW3JIg9%2bruUK D1oamVPBcQ%3d%3d)

You're going to be walking down the street first and then over... consider how much walking you'll be doing in the park itself... you may want to ask for a shuttle if they have one.

MammaSilva
05-17-2002, 08:44 AM
it is quite the hike from HoJo's to the gates but they do have a shuttle.....

Lani
05-17-2002, 08:45 AM
I've stayed there. It's not bad, but especially after a long day at the park you will NOT consider this a "walking distance hotel." Between waiting and riding, figure on 20 minutes or so to get to the park.

Part of the problem is that once you get past the McDonald's, it will feel farther away than it does when you're driving.

hefferdude
05-17-2002, 09:09 AM
We're staying there for the MAMS on Sunday. Its an OK place.
Hojo's is right across Harbor Blvd. from what used to be the
the DL employee entrance. It's one of the older properties
in the neighborhood but it went thru a big renovation in the last
couple of years. It's a typical 3 diamond kinda place. Two
pools and nice landscaping. The main tower has great viewing
for the fireworks but avoid getting a room on east facing side of the main tower ( view of I5 ). The upstairs rooms of the center pavilions are pretty good although we got a cricket in our room one night we couldn't locate. We just imagined we were camping. :) We also like building 2 as all the rooms face into an inner courtyard by the second pool.
They have a shuttle. Picks up at a mini train station looking thing
in the hotel parking lot. The shuttle is quick but walking is faster. if you are between runs. About 15 minutes with crossing Harbor. We've met a lot a great people there particularly from Australia and New Zealand. I also hear there is a new place to eat right across the street. Oh yeah, staff is very courteous too.

MammaSilva
05-17-2002, 01:32 PM
Mimis' is the new place and "if" they are even close to the quality of the one we have here it will be a YUMMMY place to eat! Not very kid friendly in menu choices tho so that might be a consideration if you have a chicken nugets and ff kind of eater

Uncle Dick
05-17-2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by mammasilva
Mimis' is the new place and "if" they are even close to the quality of the one we have here it will be a YUMMMY place to eat! Not very kid friendly in menu choices tho so that might be a consideration if you have a chicken nugets and ff kind of eater
I've eaten there twice now and you can rest assured that the food is quite "yummy". Great service together with great food and the fact that the place is sparkling new all add up to a nice and (relative to the Disneyland Resort) inexpensive dining experience.

justagrrl
05-17-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by mammasilva

Actually, I've found them to be very kid friendly. Lot's of choices, including chicken nuggets (fingers in this case)...corn puppies (mini corn dogs) and the like. Includes a cute little dirt cup dessert which is that chocolate pudding, oreo cookie concoction with a gummy worm on top. Menu, if memory serves me right, is full of activities and puzzles for kids.

My kids will go with me no problem.

To my husband, however, this is a "girly" restaraunt and he would prefer to go somewhere different. His tastes run more to Chris and Pitt's. (blech)

MammaSilva
05-17-2002, 02:44 PM
LOL we took my brother and he was ... this is a CHICK place but loved the food .... so now he goes and just grins and 'bears it' but it must be the name or something LOL

Pixie Glitter
05-17-2002, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the input, everyone! I'm kind of bummed now, though. The staff person I spoke with at Howard Johnson's insisted it was only a 7 - 8 minute walk to the parks. Sounds like perhaps that wasn't a realistic estimate, hey?

mahumana
05-17-2002, 08:17 PM
try to get one of the top floors, they have a sky lite at each end
and the rooms (in the tower at least) are huge

MammaSilva
05-17-2002, 09:03 PM
ummm I don't think it's only a 7-8 minute walk to get thru the first set of arches that lead INTO the walkway that goes past the shuttles then onward into the DTD area where the gates to both parks are, heck it took us longer than that from the Fairfield unless you are a power walker alone, then it might be possible but I have to say that is an unrealistic estimate considering that you have to wait for the light on harbor to cross over to the resort entrance