PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Visa rip off

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

jcruise86
10-19-2006, 06:36 PM
We sent for a Disney Visa because it had a free park-hopper pass incentive. The park hopper arrived today, Oct. 19, but it expires in less than 11 weeks, at the end of 2006. We had hoped to use it in January, so this is disappointing.
Feel free to add your own rant, or to defend Disney, Chase, Visa, and the classic Mickey design on the card.

hlbtimes2
10-19-2006, 06:50 PM
That sucks. Maybe you could ebay it, and use the money to buy a new ticket after the first of the year.

I Heart Disneyland!
10-19-2006, 06:52 PM
That's what I did with mine, I sold it on Ebay and made almost the full price someone would pay at the gates!

Katran
10-19-2006, 07:01 PM
DH and I are getting ready to apply for a Disney Visa. We'll definitely be checking the fine print extra carefully now! We might just wait until after the first of the year to apply, since we're going in March. Thanks for the heads up!

jcruise86
10-19-2006, 07:20 PM
I talked my wife into going in November. Does anyone know if this paper ticket with a magnetic strip on the back will get one right in the park, or must it be exchanged for another ticket at a ticket booth?

Klutch
10-19-2006, 07:21 PM
Man, that's Lame (yes, with a capital "L").

Might it be possible to apply the value of the parkhopper, before it expires, to another form of park admission media? For example, maybe you could apply the value of the soon-to-expire parkhopper to a never-expires parkhopper and pay the difference. It would certainly be worth a trip to your nearest Disney store to find out.

Rhiannon8404
10-19-2006, 07:27 PM
Wow! A park hopper? Cool! When I signed up a couple years ago, all they were giving us was a $15 Disney gift card.

Malcon10t
10-19-2006, 07:49 PM
Man, that's Lame (yes, with a capital "L"). Actually, the web site stated the ticket would expire the end of the year, and the offer expired Sept 30, 2006. Now they are back to a $15 gift card.

jrsharp21
10-19-2006, 08:29 PM
Wow! A park hopper? Cool! When I signed up a couple years ago, all they were giving us was a $15 Disney gift card.

I am a Day 1 cardholder (Actually signed up the first day) and all I got was a stupid pin that says Day 1 on it.

Pirate Lover
10-19-2006, 08:56 PM
I talked my wife into going in November. Does anyone know if this paper ticket with a magnetic strip on the back will get one right in the park, or must it be exchanged for another ticket at a ticket booth?

Yep, that's the only ticket you'll need, have fun in Disneyland!!! :D

ThemeParkAddictOfOC
10-19-2006, 08:57 PM
I get comp tickets all the time. That's what they look like. Same size as a FASTPASS.

ThemeParkAddictOfOC
10-19-2006, 09:00 PM
Man, that's Lame (yes, with a capital "L").

Might it be possible to apply the value of the parkhopper, before it expires, to another form of park admission media? For example, maybe you could apply the value of the soon-to-expire parkhopper to a never-expires parkhopper and pay the difference. It would certainly be worth a trip to your nearest Disney store to find out.

I'm going to say, "No," for the following reasons:

#1 It is probably a comp ticket, so the trade-up value is zero.
#2 Disney Store is owned by The Children's Place and would not be able to upgrade any tickets.

Just an educated guess. I could be wrong. It has happened before...

mrcoffee
10-19-2006, 09:52 PM
We have one of the comp tickets from Chase we're going to use tomorrow, actually.

As for upgrading it, it's marked Complimentary, and says it cannot be used towards upgrading.

cstephens
10-19-2006, 10:46 PM
Hmmm, they offered you something free, you got something free...yeah, that's a ripoff.

I don't think 11 weeks is too short a time, and I'm guessing the offer said that's when the ticket expires. It's really your responsibility to read and understand the offer. I actually think it's a pretty good deal that they're letting you use the park-hopper during the very popular holiday season.

And as I recall, applying for the Disney visa is free, so how exactly did you get "ripped off". Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Malcon10t
10-20-2006, 06:07 AM
Hmmm, they offered you something free, you got something free...yeah, that's a ripoff.

I don't think 11 weeks is too short a time, and I'm guessing the offer said that's when the ticket expires. It's really your responsibility to read and understand the offer. I actually think it's a pretty good deal that they're letting you use the park-hopper during the very popular holiday season.

And as I recall, applying for the Disney visa is free, so how exactly did you get "ripped off". Sounds like sour grapes to me.
The Disney Visa (which is not the Walt Disney Company) did say the offer was valid til 9/30/06 and the ticket would expire 12/31/06. I was surprised they didn't have it expire 12/22/06. They have reverted back to the $15 gift card. The tickets are comp, so they can't be upgraded to APs. Most wind up on eBay because there is no upgradablilty.

acpalmer
10-20-2006, 06:30 AM
If Chase (that's the company that does the Disney Visa) said it expired on 12/31/06, then I'm unclear on how the OP thought they would use it in January? We got a DVD player when we signed up for ours and it was exactly what they advertised that it would be. If you got exactly what Chase said you would get, then I fail to see how it's a rip-off...

disneyhound
10-20-2006, 06:41 AM
I am a Day 1 cardholder (Actually signed up the first day) and all I got was a stupid pin that says Day 1 on it.

I didn't sign up on the "first day", but when they were giving away a Mickey Mouse gift watch, I signed up! Made a great little extra gift for my daughter that year!

jcruise86
10-20-2006, 06:52 AM
Yep, that's the only ticket you'll need, have fun in Disneyland!!! :D
THANKS! We'll go right in.

momuvseven
10-20-2006, 07:23 AM
I have actually really liked my Disney Visa. When I signed up I got a $50 gift card for use in the resort and 0% interest rate for about six months. It has been great. I have been able to get my free photo from "meet & greet" and I usually accumalate enough reward points between visits to pay for a $35 meal in the park. Their customer service over the phone is great and I can view my account and make payments online.

It is the only card I use in the park. We also get 10% off shopping when we buy $50 or more. Easy to do since we like to get something for each child when we visit. Our deluxe annual passes give us a discount on dining but not on shopping. The Disney Visa fills in the gap for us.

ghoofie
10-20-2006, 07:30 AM

Me too. I like the Day 1 blurb. Once when I lost my card, when the new one came in it didn't say 'since day 1'. I called them and they sent me another that did. I love the look on people's face when I hand them a visa card with goofy and mickey, etc. on it.

cstephens
10-20-2006, 08:09 AM
If Chase (that's the company that does the Disney Visa) said it expired on 12/31/06, then I'm unclear on how the OP thought they would use it in January? We got a DVD player when we signed up for ours and it was exactly what they advertised that it would be. If you got exactly what Chase said you would get, then I fail to see how it's a rip-off...

Because they apparently didn't bother to see what the deal actually was, and now they're mad and need someone else to blame.

I'm a day one holder as well. I think we got a pin or something. I like the reward points as well (free meals at Disneyland!), and I like the day one stamp on my card. We have the classic red, and that gets noticed a lot.

Rhiannon8404
10-20-2006, 08:24 AM
I have classic red, as well. It gets noticed a lot. I'm not a Day One person, but it does say Charter Member. I have had it since 2003. I love getting the Disney reward $$. We use it as fun money when we go.

jcruise86
10-20-2006, 09:01 AM
Because they apparently didn't bother to see what the deal actually was, and now they're mad and need someone else to blame.
I'm a day one holder as well. I think we got a pin. . .
I'm not mad, and I now blame only myself for not reading the microscopic fine print. I am deeply sorry that my negativity inspired you to write two critical messages. If I were a dwarf (actually I almost am) I would have been Grumpy, and that's bad. Fortunately the Classic Mickey on my Visa card fills me with inner peace and whenever I use it, people smile at me even more than they did merely because (again--sorry) I'm, well, ridiculously good looking. As I wrote above (don't you study my messages in order?) we ARE going in November, so I am--in fact--now the very antithesis of mad. Especially when I think that you only got a pin.

Well I'm actually am a little angry at NW Airlines because they keep making it more difficult to cash in my World Perks miles, which is why I switched to Disney, but. . . ah, Classic Mickey. Ahhhhhh.

samkj
10-20-2006, 09:17 AM
Fortunately the Classic Mickey on my Visa card fills me with inner peace.

We have Mickey, Donald and Goofy...it makes me smile when I use it too. Then again, being happy about charging to my Visa may not be a good thing....:eek:

jrsharp21
10-20-2006, 09:25 AM
We have about $130 dream rewards dollars right now. We are going to take my son to DL for his 2nd birthday and use it on his b-day party there.