PDA

View Full Version : which rides are worth going without fastpass?

Tigertail777
05-17-2002, 12:31 AM
Hey gang! Our family will be going to Disneyland July 2, and this is the first time we've been in about 10 years, so I know there is lots of new stuff. Which rides have really neat or interesting que lines that you would miss seeing if you use fastpass? I have heard that you don't want to use fastpass on Indy because the que is so cool--true? Last time I was at Disneyland one of the longest lines was for the people-mover, and the sub ride (which, sadly, I know are both gone :( ) So some up to date info concerning the fastpass thing would be great. Indy better not go 101 when I'm there I havn't seen it yet am really looking forward to it, and this is one of those almost once in a lifetime trips.

Nigel2
05-17-2002, 01:00 AM
You can use a FP for indy, acutally you should use it for that ride since they all go though the temple but they let like 3 stand by people in for every 7 fast passes and it can get rather dull outside. Haunted is one you can pass on the FP since the line isn't that bad, same with pirates, but basically all the rides with FP are good since you don't miss much if any of the interesting parts anyway.

Matterhorn Fan
05-17-2002, 07:52 AM
The rides with the most interesting queues are Indy and the Car Toon Spin. (I'm tempted to put Star Tours in that list, but I'm sure you've seen it before, so you know.)

For both FP and Standby on both rides, you breeze by most of the indoor themed stuff. On Indy, standby is held outside (you're not missing much there). On Car Toon Spin, they do the same thing (I think perhaps because the queue is pretty dark, and a little claustraphobic). On either ride you can still walk slowly and take everything in. Just know that there are people behind you in line that don't want to stop to look at everything--let them know it's OK to go in front of you.

Queues you want to rush through: Space Mountain, Autopia.

justagrrl
05-17-2002, 08:43 AM
Speaking of INdy- why do they hold everyone outside now?

Uncle Dick
05-17-2002, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by justagrrl
Speaking of INdy- why do they hold everyone outside now?
Staffing. On busier days, they have the Fastpass cut further on in the big calendar room just before the film room. That arrangement allows the queue to soak up a lot more guests, but it requires an extra position to separate the Standby line from FP. The little queue outside the temple is usually enough to hold standby on its own.

Tigertail777
05-17-2002, 03:50 PM
I was talking to Corey Burton for my fanzine, and he said that most of the time, you don't get to see much of the film in the preshow due to the line...is this true? Is this more this way with fastpass, or about the same? I would like to know all the details of the ride when I interview him again for the Indy issue (in the future).

Matterhorn Fan
05-17-2002, 04:08 PM
I assume you mean in the Indy queue.

Yes, you usually breeze right through the film room. If you haven't seen the film before, you should try to stop and see it. It explains the whole premise of the ride.

Sometimes if they've got a second cast member in there for FP you get stopped in there for the standby line, but the FP line goes right by it.

If they're combining FP and standby outside, everybody goes right through that room (unless something's wrong and the line is really backed up).

Allysen1Derland
05-17-2002, 07:32 PM
:crying: I'm always bummed, too, that no matter how long the line for Indy is, it always flies like the wind thru the film room! I don't think I've had the chance to see the film in it's entirety! However, I do think Indy and Cartoon Spin have the most fun queues. And I agree w/ Matterhorn fan. I don't have the patience to wait in line for Autopia or Space Mountain. It's like lost moments in my life I can never get back, even if the end result is a whole lotta fun!

MickeysGirl
05-17-2002, 08:53 PM
:) I agree with Matterhorn Fan IJA (Adventureland) & Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin (Mickey's Toontown) are 2 of the most interesting queue lines @ Disneyland. If you haven't been to DL in 10 years don't miss Great Moment's with Mr. Lincoln (Main Street). The waiting time for Matterhorn Bobsleds is too long :( IMHO. Last Mon the waitng time was over an hour at 10:00 A.M.! DCA's queue line for Soarin' Over Ca. is interesting, but the wait can be very long! (God Bless FASTPASS!) However this attraction is a must see! Also do not miss Disney's Animation or Blast @ the Hyperion Theater (Hollywood Pictures Backlot). Have fun!:)

Matterhorn Fan
05-17-2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by MickeysGirl
The waiting time for Matterhorn Bobsleds is too long :( IMHO. Last Mon the waitng time was over an hour at 10:00 A.M.!But worth it. It's a classic, after all. (It is better to go early, though, since the Matterhorn does not have FastPass.)

Nigel2
05-17-2002, 09:33 PM
Actually one of the reasons they hold SB people outside (well according to someone else) is for 2 reasons 1. (Kind of doubtable) that guests get anxiety from parts of the line that are really tight and claustrophobic. Or
2. they didn't want to run the FP line through the exit.

jslivinski
06-12-2002, 01:25 PM
I agree that Roger Rabbit and Indy have great queues. The ride you will definitely want to get Fastpass for is Autopia, the line is very deceiving.

coronamouseman
06-12-2002, 03:33 PM
Tt777 - don't forget to check to see if Pirates and/or Haunted Mansion has the "free" fastpass feature mentioned in one of the other threads in Mousepad - if this situation is still in effect, you can get extra FPs for these rides

For sure, you will probably want to Fastpass Splash Mt and Space Mt as those lines are the longest in the park during busy times. Otherwise, you will just have to kind of wing it by seeing what return times you get and what other rides you can either standby for or get FPs for later.

Tigertail777
06-12-2002, 03:42 PM
Thanks everyone! all of you had some great input. I can't wait to go, but am a little afraid of how crowded it may be (we are going July 2) I hope I am able to ride most of the rides at least once (and pirates and Hm at least twice) and see tiki room. Keep yer fingers crossed for me. :)

Disney Nick
06-12-2002, 04:20 PM
I'm getting there on *gasp* July 4th! For some reason my dad and step-mom chose that as the brilliant day they wanted to go visit Disneyland for the first time in about 8 years. We will be there from the 4th to the 6th. I told them this is the busiest time, but for some reason they were very adamant about it. So I'll be there too trying to beat the crowds with you. I wish they had APs like me so they didn't have to rush everything in 3 days, but we can do it ;).

Tigertail777
06-12-2002, 07:58 PM
THE 4TH!!!!!! THAT IS NUTS! I REPEAT NUTS! My family started to try to plan on that too and I said under no circumstances am I going to Disneyland on the 4th--no way uh-uh! We will have enough "fun" trying to beat the crowds on the 2nd. Good Luck to you, and have fun. :)

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
06-12-2002, 08:08 PM
There has been a recent change to fastpass at Soarin - as recently as one month ago - Soarin was a 'free-bee' i.e. Haunted and Pirates.

Last Sunday it was not and you had to wait the standard 2 hours before getting another fastpass.