PDA

View Full Version : I got my first AP! (dining discount question)

CariBelle
10-19-2006, 07:28 AM
I purchased the SoCal AP last night at Vons (along with a 1 day Park Hopper for my bf) so I think we are all set for this weekend!
To use the dining discount, should I show my AP before we order or when the check comes?

stan4d_steph
10-19-2006, 08:18 AM
As far as I know, there's no rule about when to show your AP for the discount. However, it's easier for the server if you do it before the check comes. Otherwise he or she will have to reprint the check to reflect the discount.

tod
10-19-2006, 08:23 AM
When the check comes.

If you haven't heard, there are a lot of loud overbearing know-it-all Annual Passholders who have left many Cast Members with a call-it-low opinion of APs (and a very colorful nickname). If you show the AP before the check is presented, you run the risk of the CM thinking you are "one of them" and getting substandard service because "AP holders all [jerks] anyway."

I keep it in my pocket until I need it, and then, when the check comes, present my AP and my credit card/cash at the same time. The CM will go back to the register -- which has to be done anyway -- re-figure the bill, run the credit card (or make change) and present a revised bill for signature (or with change).

I recommend you do the same. Especially the part about keeping it in your pocket until you need it.

--t

CariBelle
10-19-2006, 09:10 AM
That's probably some good advice tod, thanks.

PS- Is that you and Ken Jennings?

potzbie
10-19-2006, 09:47 AM
At the cashier places like RANCHO DEL ZOCALO, you just show your card before the cashier starts punching the buttons on the register.

At sit down places like Granville's (where I had breakfast), BEFORE you tell your waiter/waitress, "Please write up my bill," you must show your card, since they need that data BEFORE they start writing up the bill. That is, you cannot take you written up bill to the Granville cashier and expect the cashier to ALTER the numbers.

biolabetty
10-19-2006, 11:25 AM
I usually just ask the server if they would like my pass now or after the meal, they let me know what they prefer. Some have had me do it then, and some have waited until later.

SoCalSteven
10-19-2006, 12:13 PM
I usually naively ask if there is an AP discount and show the card. I've never had a problem with anyone thinking I am an AP thinking I deserve special treatment. I simply want to take advantage of a perk that I paid for.

Malcon10t
10-19-2006, 12:55 PM
At most places you do it after, like Tod says. For places like Pizza Port or Rancho, you do it after they ring you up. The ring the order, you show the card, they punch the proper discount button. If you do it before, you stand the chance that they wont remember to hit the discount button at the end.

Darkbeer
10-19-2006, 12:58 PM
Also, you need to have the AP processed before most places will give you a discount.

They want to see the AP with your photo on it, not the voucher that allows you inside the park.

tod
10-19-2006, 01:36 PM
Is that you and Ken Jennings?

Yep.

--t

CariBelle
10-19-2006, 02:42 PM
Thanks everyone! I'll be sure to get my AP processed as soon as we get into the park.

Bytebear
10-20-2006, 09:11 AM
Remember that if you use the electronic kiosk at the airplane hanger burger joint in DCA, you have to choose the AP button on the payment page to scan your card.

cstephens
10-21-2006, 04:08 PM
There's a difference between showing the AP to get the discount that comes along with having the AP and shoving the AP in the CMs face.

At sit-down locations, when we know we're close to getting the check, someone will flag down the waiter to let them know that we have a discount card and wanted to let them know ahead of time so they didn't have to ring the bill up twice. They usually appreciate the early, polite notice.

It's not necessarily *what* you do, it's *how* you do it.

tod
10-22-2006, 11:40 AM
There's a difference between showing the AP to get the discount that comes along with having the AP and shoving the AP in the CMs face.

At sit-down locations, when we know we're close to getting the check, someone will flag down the waiter to let them know that we have a discount card and wanted to let them know ahead of time so they didn't have to ring the bill up twice. They usually appreciate the early, polite notice.

It's not necessarily *what* you do, it's *how* you do it.

I'll have to try that. Thanks for the suggestion.

--t
trying hard not to be one of them