PDA

View Full Version : DIS stockholder discount?

randawggy
10-18-2006, 08:17 PM
I was just at DL this past weekend for the 1st time in 10 years, took my 3 year old and he was wide eyed the whole time.

Many years ago, my grandmother bought me one share of disney stock. I seem to remember some sort of a discount for disney stockholders for admission to the park. Does anyone know anything about a stockholder discount?

Thanks,

Randy

tigga please
10-18-2006, 08:23 PM
funny you posted this, because a wonderful wonderful person is treating me to the Disneyland hotel for my birthday (already have the AP). apparently, her grandmother did the same for her and she gets discounts and a nice lil check once a year. i think its actually the only reason she was able to book a room with a view on the 29th and 30th.

Dexter
10-18-2006, 08:39 PM
To the best of my knowledge, Walt Disney Company Stockholders recieve no benefits at the parks or resorts.

I found this in reference to Walt Disney World Clicky (http://allearsnet.com/aa/aa050304.htm#ques4)

The Disney Investors site indicates that shareholders don't have a benefits program. Unfortunately I don't know what that is in reference to but you can see it here (http://corporate.disney.go.com/investors/shareholder_faq.html#benefits)

I bought my best friend a share for Christmas several years back, they only thing they get is a copy of the companies annual report which does feature various characters in it and a very small dividend check.

DrewR
10-19-2006, 04:59 AM
We have owned stock for ~15 years. There used to be a discount program that we enjoyed but it was discontinued many years ago.

jswtsang
10-19-2006, 05:53 AM
correct me if I'm wrong, but I think being a stockholder entitles you to attend the annual stockholder's meeting, which is not held at disneyland, but I'm guessing it would be interesting to attend.

jt

soccerlady16
10-19-2006, 07:11 AM
a very small dividend check.

Yes. very small. Mine was 82 cents last year!:D

ima_mickeyfan
10-19-2006, 10:01 AM
so this may be a silly question, but those stocks that you can buy framed and with a plaque are actually truely good stocks? or are they just for commercial use only?
I think they would make great gifts to my children if they are really "legit".

Dexter
10-19-2006, 11:08 AM
The stocks from oneshare are absolutely "legit", stocks, they entitle you to a copy of the annual report which is mailed out each year to shareholders as well as recieving a dividends check each year.

hefferdude
10-19-2006, 11:10 AM
you can buy framed and with a plaque are actually truely good stocks?

Our first Disney investment back in ~1988 was a "drawn" stock for ten shares. Yes it is an actual stock share, we framed it and it is beautiful ( Walt and characters ). We did it for our boys as a family Christmas present. We bought some more shares and have the dividends automatically deposited back into the purchase of more stock. Yes, very slow but it's more the idea than the investment.

Cute story - our youngest understood the idea of owning a piece of Disneyland and asked about which part. We were waiting at the train station and told him that one of the station's bricks was his.:)

Klutch
10-19-2006, 07:32 PM
Disney used to offer discounts for stockholders. Unfortunately, a whole lot of people were getting the discounts by owning just one share of stock. So, Eisner put the kabosh on all stockholder perks at Disney parks and resorts. I own a couple hundred shares of Disney stock and it gets me nada, bupkis at Disney parks and resorts. No discounts, no preferred rooms, no special treatment, no kidding.

As mentioned, I do receive a copy of Disney's annual report and I'm permitted to attend annual shareholder meetings; at my own expense, of course. I was going to attend the shareholder meeting in Denver, only an hour from my house, a few years ago. There was a very intense blizzard on the day of the meeting and I couldn't get there. (Eisner must have made sure the weather was bad.)

I imagine investors who own stock in the millions of dollars might get some discounts and perks. As for us gadflys, forget it.

chrisaustx
10-20-2006, 01:56 AM
There are no benefits of owning Disney stock, and buying the framed stock certificate for a wall is a waste of money, they charge a huge transfer fee. There are places out there like shrebuilder for example, you can buy stock and for a small fee, share builder will send you the stock certificate to frame yourself for an small charge. Disney is wanting to eliminate stock certificates, and just go 100 percent electronic and do away with tradition. But if you can buy stock for $4 a trade, and pay no framing, transfer or shipping fees, just buy more stock. Maybe instead of $.82 each year, you might earn $2. :)

Osky
10-20-2006, 12:10 PM
buying the framed stock certificate for a wall is a waste of money

Sure, if you are doing so as an investment. However, many people do that as a gift, or they just want a share on the wall. In that case, it is not a waste of money because it is worth it to that person.

Baloo
10-20-2006, 07:31 PM
I own several hundred shares and also have bought a couple shares framed thru one share. Its actually not such a bad price. Yes they do charge a fee but the framing and plaque are pretty well done and even if you tried to get it framed at your local Michael you will pay a good chunk for the matting and framing itself.

There are no benefit packages for owning shares and for the person that asked about the shareholders meeting, yes shareholders do get to go to them.

They use to be much better and a big event. During the last few years they started cutting backon the event side of the meeting. Eisner started moving the meeting to places where it would not have large concentrations of shareholders knowing very well that he would get backlash from them.

Last year it was moved to its original place, Anaheim. The attendance was not as they expected and the pond had many empty areas.
Even with the low attendance they did try to bring some of the charm back to the meetings and had dozens of characters greeting the shareholders.
They also handed out the shareholder and guest free Disneyland resort parkhopper tickets and had promotional things to give away.
The day was cold and rainy but they still set-up a tent that showcased upcoming merchandise for both Pirates and Cars and also sold some items with a shareholder discount.

Not sure were the meeting will be held this year hopefully again in Anaheim, i am sure that more people will attend just to be able to ask questions about the resorts future.