PDA

View Full Version : Back to Disneyland! And back on MousePad too!

marklodi
10-18-2006, 10:10 AM
First, I wanted to say "Hi" to all the old-timers here on the board, as this is my first post in almost three years. Wow! Gone way too long.

The reason I'm posting is that we're finally going back to Disneyland this Christmas for the first time in two years. Christmas 2004 to be exact. Last year, well...sigh...my wife contracted colon cancer and we spent both Christmas and New Years in a hospital in Hayward, CA. I'm happy to say she's recovered 100% and is now cancer-free. But it's been a really lousy couple years...

So this Christmas we're going to surprise the kids with a trip to the Big D. And Grandma and Grandpa (my parents) are coming along as well. How are we planning this? Oh, I'm so glad you asked. :D

The Friday before Christmas (the 22nd), normal day, but as soon as I get off of work and get home, we are telling the kids - who will know NOTHING of ANY plans up to that point - to hop in the van, we're going to go out to a nice dinner. What? Grandma and Grandpa want to come as well? Oh, I guess that's okay...

In the van. Should they look around and ask what that pile of stuff is behind the rear seat, covered in a blanket is, we'll simply say, "Don't peek! It's Christmas time! No LOOKEE!" Given that my son is 15 and my daughter is 11, I think that will work, as they like surprises. Of course, under that blanket is luggage packed in advance.

In the van we go and head off. We live in Lodi, just south of Sacramento, so we hit I-5 and drive on, playing Christmas music and "find the letter on a billboard" games. After about an hour or so, the question "Are we there yet?" will inevitably rear it's head. I will explain that Mom was really hungry for a certain food and since she had to have dinner this same time last year through a little plastic tube, she can go wherever she wants. ;)

At about the 2-1/2 hour mark, we will pull into Santa Nella and Anderson's Split Pea Soup! YUM! Yes, it really is one of my wife's favorite places to eat. "This is the place?" will be the first question. The second will quickly follow. "We're not going to the Rennaisance Faire again, are we?" Laughing, as the Nor Cal Ren Faire, held at Casa de Fruta just a few miles away, wrapped up in Mid-October. "No, we're just having dinner. It's for your mom."

After a nice, leisurely dinner, we'll head outside, where I will yawn and stretch and say - as if the idea just struck me - "Hey. It's a pretty long drive back and it's dark, how about we find a hotel to stay in up the road somewhere?" Nods and agreement from the adults, and back into the van we go. NO mention of you-know-where.

Little do the wee ones know that we've already reserved a couple rooms in Buttonwillow, just this side of the Grapevine. We'll drive the couple hours, with kids either nodding off or asking "What about that hotel? No? Aw Dad, come on..."

We'll pull in, my Mom and I will excuse ourselves to go check-in and get the two rooms. The luggage will then make it's magical appearance. The kids are no dummies, so the question will immediately be, "Hey! You knew we were going to spend the night. What's going on?" To which I will calmly state that yes, we did know that it was going to be a long drive to Anderson's and we wanted to surprise you kids with a stay in the hotel. Now no more questions. We have to get up early, early tomorrow as we have to get back home. We have an appointment with a guy to work on the house in the morning. So showers and bed! Now! We have to be on the road by 5AM! Don't look at me like that? Yes, I said 5AM. March!"

At 5am the next morning, we will be on the road again, the kids half-asleep and muttering, most-likely not realizing the direction we're driving...

At about 7:30am or so, we will be pulling into the Anaheim Inn across the street from Disneyland. At some point before that, the kids will have noticed something, but none of us will say a thing. Just big, wonderful grins pasted on our faces. And as we park the van, check in and leave off our luggage for safe keeping, and walk across the street to "The Happiest Place on Earth", I'll look to my right. I'll look at that beautiful woman holding my hand, my wife of 17+ years, the love of my life, and realize how blessed I am to have her walking with me, healthy and happy...

And as we step through the gates, kids laughing in disbelief, my parents enjoying their reactions probably more than the trip itself, then...only then can I let the truth really set in:

I'm back. We got through it all, and we're all here. Safe and sound and spending the next 3 days, including Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with Mickey and the whole gang. Man, I feel giddy and excited just typing all that. :D

-Mark šoš

P.S. In case anyone was wondering what me and the crew actually look like, my previous column for Parenting in the Parks is still online here at Mouseplanet. (http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=pp030131mw) Scroll down to the bottom and you'll see a pic from a few years ago when we visited WDW.

MammaSilva
10-18-2006, 10:32 AM
Let me be one of the first to welcome you back and congratulate you on the 'cancer free' news!!!!!! The pre trip report sounds like a blast and I can't wait to hear the full trip report!

Andrew
10-18-2006, 10:48 AM
Welcome back, and I love the super surprise plans. Have a great trip!

yellowrosedtxn
10-18-2006, 10:48 AM
Congrats to your wife on being Cancer free! And I am so looking forward to your trip! That sounds like a great way to spend Christmas! I can't wait to hear your trip report!

808Disney
10-18-2006, 11:18 AM
AWESOME NEWS!! Welcome back home! Your surprise sounds great. I'll be there for Christmas too!! Can't wait!!! Waited a whole year for this. Its my first time to actually be in Disneyland on Christmas. I'm so excited and so is my 4yr old. daughter. Have a great time...you and your family surely deserves it!

mad4mky
10-18-2006, 12:03 PM
Hey MarkLodi...another 'old-timer' here to welcome you back.:D

Such great news about your wife being 100% cancer free!:) As much fun as your upcoming DLR trip will be...hearing this is much better news I am sure.:D

Welcome back. :D

LOYL2DZNY
10-18-2006, 12:17 PM
You got me in tears over here, Mark! Thanks for that. It's definitely a good cry...for you and your family! BTW, I'm here in Fremont, CA, which is just a few miles from Hayward. We were neighbors for a little bit there! Glad your wife is well. Have fun on your trip!

samkj
10-18-2006, 12:31 PM
Congrats to your wife on the cancer free news! We had to cancell our Christmas 2002 trip due to cancer too, so I know exactly how you are going to feel walking in those gates, we had our "cancer free and happy" trip in Feb 2004. Enjoy every moment, you will never forget this trip.

hlbtimes2
10-18-2006, 02:24 PM
What a wonderful holiday you have planned! I love surprise trips. We surprised our kids (4 and 8) in March. It was so wonderful, and I"m sure it will be a life time memory of them.

tinklover25
10-18-2006, 02:59 PM
tears are rolling down my face! sounds perfect!

ochibiyo
10-18-2006, 04:10 PM
WOW! Congrats for your brave wife and you for being a supportive husband!! Our family is surprising my parents as well to the GCH on the same day for their 40th anniversary. Just a note, my mom just recovered from breast cancer a year ago, and she is healthly! Wonderful gift and I hope you have a blast. See you there!:p

disneyhound
10-18-2006, 05:24 PM
What a great plan/adventure/post/Christmas!!!

Crazy4DL
10-18-2006, 05:39 PM
walk across the street to "The Happiest Place on Earth", I'll look to my right. I'll look at that beautiful woman holding my hand, my wife of 17+ years, the love of my life, and realize how blessed I am to have her walking with me, healthy and happy...

And as we step through the gates, kids laughing in disbelief, my parents enjoying their reactions probably more than the trip itself, then...only then can I let the truth really set in:

omg! :crying: What a wonderful story. What a wonderful surprise trip for you all. Have the best time. :D

Welcome back to MP. :)

ER Nurse
10-18-2006, 09:27 PM
Have a wonderful trip...I too am in tears. I am so happy for your family. You all deserve this trip.

Lisa

marklodi
10-19-2006, 08:25 AM
Thank you all for your kind words. We really appreciate it! :)

...Now if I can just keep the evil little voice out of the back of my skull from making me paranoid. When we there for Christmas in 2004, the crowds were pretty reasonable. I've heard that last year was crazy, and I'm wondering - with the three days we're there being the three-day weekend - how it will be this year...

...and then the Disney-holic in me kicks in and says, "Who cares?! You always get there early, you expect the crowds and are surprised if it's light at all, you have a great time with the family, you have three full days to experience it all - stop worrying and have fun!" :D

Mark šoš

Crazy4DL
10-19-2006, 10:05 AM
...and then the Disney-holic in me kicks in and says,

Listen to him. :) ;)

Katran
10-19-2006, 10:28 AM
I'm one of the newbies, but welcome back! That is such great news about your wife's cancer (or lack of now, I should say).

I love your plans! Sounds like a great deal of fun. Your kids will be thrilled. I'm planning on surprising my kids with a trip to Disneyland as well, though I'm doing it a bit differently since I'm also surprising my sister, her husband and their son as well, and we live six hours away from Disneyland. I don't think I could convince them that we're just going to our favorite restaurant once we hit the California border after more than two hours of driving, lol!

I hope you guys have a great time!

Niele
10-19-2006, 11:01 AM
What a wonderful thing, marklodi. I, too, teared up reading your post. I am truly so happy for your wife and family. After such a traumatic time to be able to hold hands walking in the most wonderful place.... I miss the "Griswald family" run through the parking lot, our family used to do that when we'd go years ago and we'd all be laughing so hard, it was such a great feeling. We'll be there the week before Christmas and I know it will be crowded but I really don't care. I went through the "cancer ordeal" right after our last trip in 2002 and I'm just so happy to be able to go back there with my family, including one more grandchild! :-) Just go with the flow and ENJOY!

Vegitabeta
10-19-2006, 11:43 AM
Big congrats to your wife for the good news! You sound like you have things planned pretty well! Have a great time all of you, we know you will!:)

Clotho
10-19-2006, 12:48 PM
What a sweet idea! Honestly, I think you're being a little ambitious thinking that they won't figure out something major is up when you drive for hours to dinner and a couple more hours to stay in a hotel to "avoid the long drive home". But I remember as a kid being absolutely certain something was up, but my parents stubbornly never letting on exactly what, and the excitement that held. So though they won't be so tired and confused as to not know something major is up, not knowing WHAT is up is exiting enough! :)

I Heart Disneyland!
10-19-2006, 02:05 PM
Welcome back, Mark! Sounds like a fabulous trip is planned! I know what you mean about getting giddy when you talk about your upcoming plans. I do that too! (I think we all do, or we'd not be here!)

Leap for Joy
10-19-2006, 03:09 PM
Welcome back! Thank you for sharing your plans with us! I'm excited about your trip!!

ssturgeo
10-20-2006, 06:08 AM
Welcome back and tears too from a relative newbie.

Hoping that one of the Year of a Milliion Dreams prizes finds you and your family on this special trip!!