PDA

View Full Version : Which "Pirates of the Caribbean" is best?

Pages : [1] 2

Pony Sugrue
05-16-2002, 03:56 PM
Thar be four "Pirates of the Caribbean" in the world (I don't think Hong Kong will get one from what I hear).

Which one is the best one? Anaheim? Orlando? Tokyo? Paris?

gokart
05-16-2002, 04:25 PM
I've been to all of them (but I honestly don't remember Tokyo's that well) and the original is the best!!!

Iceman
05-16-2002, 06:23 PM
I've been to three (sans Paris), and the Anaheim version is, in my eyes, the indisputed king in this case. The three drops tip the scales heavily in Disneyland's favor, yet the animatronics and other ride elements are virtually identical among all three.

zapppop
05-16-2002, 07:27 PM
because they still have the original scene of the pirates chasing the women, which in Anaheim, was replaced by pirates eating food.

pixiepal
05-16-2002, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Iceman
The three drops tip the scales heavily in Disneyland's favor...

You mean the two drops, right?

I was able to ride on both Disneyland's version and WDW's version within a week so I was able to get a good comparison going without forgetting over time! The WDW one has a better queue, but the rest of the ride is not nearly as exciting. Although much of the animatronics are the same, the lighting was not as good, the music not as loud...it's just not as special as "ours".

Gemini Cricket
05-16-2002, 08:39 PM
Anaheim's
:)
By far...

Tigertail777
05-16-2002, 11:57 PM
Disneyland!!! They have my absolute favorite part: the skeleton grotto. I don't know if the one's outside the US have that or not, but Florida's is greatly abridged.

Pony Sugrue
05-17-2002, 08:49 AM
While Florida's does have that great queue area of the old Spanish fort (with skeletons playing chess in that dungeon area) and they have that great ending of that giant room full of treasure and pirates with 2 soldiers bound and gagged (like INDIANA JONES and his father in "Last Crusade")...

I still have to give the nod in the U.S. to DISNEYLAND's. They have the wonderful "Blue Bayou" scene at the beginning, two drops, and the two extra "Skeleton" scenes (the "Stow yer weapons" drinking "rum" room, the one with the bed, and the one with the skeleton sitting atop a huge pile of treasure).

Now I haven't been to Tokyo's or Paris' "Pirates", but I heard that Marc Davis was most pleased with the way Paris' was layed out. He felt that they finally got it in the right order. I saw some brief footage of some of the AA figs in Paris too... and they looked incredible. The only chance that Tokyo's pirates may have in this contest might be if it is in "original form"; including the old "chasing girls" scene instead of the "gluttony" scene currently found in Cali.

skeleton@thewheel
05-17-2002, 09:14 AM
I've only been, and need to only, go to, the one and only -the original!

:D

lisap
05-17-2002, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Pony Sugrue

Now I haven't been to Tokyo's or Paris' "Pirates", but I heard that Marc Davis was most pleased with the way Paris' was layed out. He felt that they finally got it in the right order. I saw some brief footage of some of the AA figs in Paris too... and they looked incredible.

I didn't care for they way the story was laid out in the Paris Pirates--but I think that was partly due to being so accustomed to DL's version. The figures were very nice--more lifelike, and sound was great. But no one will ever convince me that Paris has a better version that DL CA--not possible! :D

GREGOR
05-17-2002, 10:41 AM
Question: doesn't the PoC in Paris have a new propulsion system? Something along the lines of water jets along the sides to propel the boats instead of moving the water inside the channel to move the boats. It also allows the boats to completely stop and start again at a scene. I thought I heard that somewhere. I don't know if it's true. If it is, how does it effect the ride? It's got to be quite a different feel to the boat movement I'd imagine.

IndianaJenn
05-17-2002, 10:53 AM
My vote is Anaheim!

When I was a kid and went to WDW for the first time, my brother and I spent the whole ride waiting for the second drop that never happens!

cemeinke
05-18-2002, 09:12 AM
Hmm, of the 2 I've seen I think I like Disneyland's the best, but that may be more for nostalgia's sake.

I was very impressed by the Paris version though. They have the que basicly taking you through the Spanish village and you get glimpses of the goings on as you make your way to the ride. They also have a restaurant, more caribean themed though than Disneyland's (for obvious reasons).

I also think the story does work better in Paris, though a bit rearranged for those of us use to Disneyland. You start with the "live" pirates in their day, get pulled up this great themed conveyor to start at a higher level, instead of drop down (under the berm). This gives you a quick overhead view of the action, a great swinging pirate animatronic, a view of the attacking ship before you plunge in next to it. The second drop accompanies the "explosion" (I think the original concept of "going up a waterfall" was that you were propelled by an explosion back up top) that propels you into the skeleton chambers of the long "dead" pitrates. If you ride the train you also get some peaks into the skeleton rooms.

justagrrl
05-18-2002, 09:54 AM
Well - Since I haven't been to any but the orginal - I'll tell you what. If you all make my arrangements I'll be happy to go and give an accurate report of each one. Then you'll all know which one is really the best. ;) tee hee

Pony Sugrue
05-20-2002, 02:54 PM
Does anyone know anything about Tokyo's "Pirates". Is it a rubber stamp version of Florida's like most everything else there?

Gemini Cricket
05-20-2002, 03:38 PM
I remember Florida's POTC to have a really cheesy looking glow in the dark painted talking skull. It didn't look right in my opinion. The Spanish Fort queue was neat though. :) But still, DL's POTC.

Brian55
05-21-2002, 09:53 PM
Although I've only seen TDL's Pirates on video, I can attest that it's far more like the DL version than WDW's. It duplicates both the exterior and Blue Bayou dining area; however, like WDW there is only one waterfall drop. The rest of the ride then pretty much follows the DL sequence except there is virtually no replication of that area with creaking, burning timbers after the jailed pirates - instead you enter directly into the pirates shooting at one another in the arsenal. (They still have the pirate sitting atop the barrels by the way.) The chase scene there remains intact as well...

Pony Sugrue
05-22-2002, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the info Brian55.

Even though Tokyo's "Pirates" is missing one of the drops and the burning/creaking timbers, the fact that the 'chase scene" is still intact could make this a good candidate for "Best Pirates" since Disneyland axed the scene. They got the "Blue Bayou" and everything. A living "Yesterland" item for sure.

I, myself, actually like the new "gluttony" scene in DL just fine. It is filled with so much now to make up for the loss. The guy with the basket between the horse and the goat is very nice (salvaged AA from EPCOT), but I love the the streaming liquor coming out of the barrel. That scene is grand now. WDW's same area (also changed from the "Chase scene") looks rather barren though.:sleep:

mad4mky
05-22-2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by cemeinke
Hmm, of the 2 I've seen I think I like Disneyland's the best, but that may be more for nostalgia's sake.

I was very impressed by the Paris version though. They have the que basicly taking you through the Spanish village and you get glimpses of the goings on as you make your way to the ride. They also have a restaurant, more caribean themed though than Disneyland's (for obvious reasons).

I also think the story does work better in Paris, though a bit rearranged for those of us use to Disneyland. You start with the "live" pirates in their day, get pulled up this great themed conveyor to start at a higher level, instead of drop down (under the berm). This gives you a quick overhead view of the action, a great swinging pirate animatronic, a view of the attacking ship before you plunge in next to it. The second drop accompanies the "explosion" (I think the original concept of "going up a waterfall" was that you were propelled by an explosion back up top) that propels you into the skeleton chambers of the long "dead" pirates. If you ride the train you also get some peaks into the skeleton rooms.

Out of the 3 I have seen (WDW,DL and DLParis)...I love Disneyland's...It's Walt's baby...so it's special to me as I am sure it is to others. BUT...DisneylandParis's was great. The flow through with the storyline was a better. But it did seem backwards from ours here in Anaheim. The queing area is the best of the 3 parks. It really draws you into the theme of Pirates in the Carribbean....
WDW's was weak...the whole "show" was weak. We are a family of 5...and not one of us was impressed.

And the reason why I quoted cemeinke...is that he explained the ride...and I didn't want to have to do that again.

DZNEENUT
05-23-2002, 02:47 PM
Paris is more exciting in the sense that you become the target of the pirates. No just accidently in the middle of battle. The ride is faster so it is a very different experience than DLA. I prefer DLA for the slow pace and long ride and I'm glad to see some of the Paris special effects making their way to DLA. But Anaheim could use an upgrade that juices up the excitement. I have caught a snooze on there before.

gn2dlnd
05-23-2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Pony Sugrue
Thar be four "Pirates of the Caribbean" in the world (I don't think Hong Kong will get one from what I hear).

Didn't Michael Jackson have a version built at Neverland Valley Ranch? P)

MonorailMan
05-23-2002, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by gn2dlnd

Didn't Michael Jackson have a version built at Neverland Valley Ranch? P)
Oh, I thought thats where "Captain EO" played. :rolleyes:

HBDisneyPrincess
05-26-2002, 10:57 AM
Ok, I haven't been to Tokyo's, but I've been on the other three.

Disneyland Paris is my favorite, from the queue to the ride order. (I say this even though I grew up at Disneyland, went at least once a year since I was born) Disneyland Paris just felt immediatly right to me. The order felt right. (Yes, backwards, but it made more sense to me. I could make it into a story much easier, if that makes sense.) The show building from the outside just looked right. And I LOVED that the two drops were in seperate, suprising place. They weren't over with at the very start.

Disneyland is a close second, despite its refurb. It is classic, it is beautifully done. It is an excellent ride.

WDW is a distant third. The end is so tacky, watching it go up the waterfall instead of riding it, one cheesy drop, ugh.

Just my opinion...I know that not everyone agrees...:D

hmbldr
05-26-2002, 12:26 PM
Tough vote, as I may have a split decision. The que and theme surrondings are the tops @WDW. I like DL's but why would you found pirate's den on a NOS store front? The Caribbean spanish fort set up is great and really drops you into the theme.

However, I love the bayou start of DL. My first time/impression was at DL when I was 10, so the impression is indelible. Like many here, as with other things, DL always has that claim as the original to give an edge in any vote.

I haven't been back to DL in many years and am way overdue :crying:

HBTiggerFan
05-26-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Iceman
I've been to three (sans Paris), and the Anaheim version is, in my eyes, the indisputed king in this case. The three drops tip the scales heavily in Disneyland's favor, yet the animatronics and other ride elements are virtually identical among all three.

3 drops? Theres the first one after the bayou, the 2nd one right after the 1st one, wheres the 3rd one?

I swear that hwen I was a kid there was a drop in the middle of the ride, but no one else remembers it :(