PDA

View Full Version : October Trip Report from MadasaHatter

MadasaHatter
10-17-2006, 04:20 PM
Thought I would publish my trip report since I enjoyed reading others before our trip this year. Lots to report.

OCTOBER 5, THURSDAY

After spending the night in Hollywood with an old friend I took my rented convertible to LAX and picked up my sister at the aero-port. Beautiful day and made great time....got the car returned, luggage stowed at the GRAND CALIFORNIAN and Annual Passports bought and met our friends EXACTLY at Noon as planned at the big pumpkin MICKEY. Wanted to take my friend and her Husband and Daughter to Disneyland. It was her (the little girls) first time and she is 8 years old so that is the perfect age. OK. I thought I had DL and DCA dialed in as the ultimate host but I DID learn a few things with kids/families.

NO. 1- They always want to eat at prime dining times as they are more dialed into a schedule than us single folk. I highly recommend the breakfast at CATAL restaurant in downtown Disney. Not crowded and great service and great food and same price as Disneyland.

NO. 2- Getting the character's autograph is a HIGH priority. It took a lot longer than I thought but was worth it for her. Just things to factor in.

Okay back to the report. They(I will call my pals MOM DAD and KID from here on in) had done early entry as I had told them to and had done Fantasyland and that was awesome. We proceeded to get most of the park in that first day save ADVENTURELAND and TOON TOWN. My sister and I were starving and had to eat though first so we went to get fast passes for SPLASH and ate at the Hungry Bear Restaurant. Okay we had a child with us but the reason the lines are so long is that when people get to the front they have no idea what they want. Why in the world you would wait in line and NOT spend that time looking at the menu is beyond me. Then both people order and when they read the order back there is twice as much stuff on it and the people act surprised..."NO, not four lemonades.....two." I am a huge Disneyland fan but I have to say it.....the Food in Disneyland is not very good. Period. There are places that are better than others but really try to schedule outside meals or sit down restaurant.

Okay those two points were my only major gripes and half of that was our fault for dining on regular hours. Now the good stuff.

Sis and I purchased Pirate and Pirate Princess Mickey ears right away as that is our new tradition and wore them throughout the weekend. Loved those ears. Our girl loved ALL of the rides that day and when Mom asked "Wasn't IASW your favorite, like Mom????" she replied "It was very cute except THAT SONG!!!!" Very funny. We went back and checked in at 4 O clock and headed down to the pool. That is one of the major perks of the Grand Californian. Very comfy and the kids LOOOOOVE the slide. I went on with her everytime(30!?!??!) and was completely water logged afterwards.

Then we went back to DL and rode the PIRATES. I don't see what the big deal is with the changes. Jack Sparrow is there. He is cool and the OLD ride is completely intact. Our kid in the group deemed SPACE MOUNTAIN the most awesome ride.

Had dinner at HOOKS POINTE restaurant and it was quite good. The service was ok. The waiter didn't even know what kind of scotch they served but we managed and he was nice. QUite pricey but the seafood was fresh and good. Not terribly kid friendly. Just because slower paced for a kid that wants to eat and go to sleep. More of an adult restaurant. If you bring a kid I suggest skipping the APS as that draws the meal out.

OCTOBER 6, FRIDAY

Love the beds at GC but sister snored so didn't sleep well. We used the GC entrance to CA Adventure after having breakfast at CATAL (see above) which was EXCELLENT. The park was relatively empty so we got to ride all of the rides. Started with SOARIN' which they loved, then we ran over to CA SCREAMIN ' and it wasn't open yet so we decided to ride the SUN WHEEL. Hands down the scariest ride for most people. Mom and Daughter screamed so much I thought my ears would bleed. Mom kept saying "Why aren't there seat belts!!! What can I hold onto????" We were mean and took lots of pictures. I have an awesome one of husband clicking mom. Our kid now DEEMED that the best ride (because of mom screaming) Then we got Fast passes for CS and our kid said NO WAY....DON'T GET ME ONE. I AM NOT RIDING THAT!!!!! We of course told her that she didn't HAVE to ride it but she had to get a fast pass just in case she changed her mind. We rode the other rides on Paradise Pier (she loved the dolphin on the carousel and the Orange Zinger and the Muholland Madness made her say that I HAVE TO RIDE CALIFORNIAN SCREAMIN') After riding that Roller Coaster she now deemed that the MOST AWESOME ride and wanted to ride it again!!! Go figure. She got the WITCHES and QUEEN OF HEARTS autograph but we missed the GOLDEN SCREAMS SHOW (Dad and I said after the SUN WHEEL we couldn't handle the screaming and our kid was content with the autographs. THey were hysterical with her and we got lots of great pics.) WE rode CS again and we got our pictures taken making the most stupid faces possible and it turned out so well that so many strangers were laughing at the picture too. I thought Mom would wet herself with laughter. THe only sad thing was that our kid was in the second seat and could not be seen. If we would have put her in the front she would have been fine. Even I bought that picture as it is HYSTERICAL.

Then I went back to the hotel for nap and pool while they went to the animation building which she loved. I guess they had added Dory to TURTLE TALK and that was very cool. Her favorite was finding out which DIsney Character you are most like.) Then they woke me up and we did our other GC tradition. We all put on our flip flops swim suits and t shirts and went out the entrance to CA and rode GRIZZLY RIVER RUN and then popped into the pool. Perfect perk to staying there.

After we showered and got changed we had wine and cheese in our rooms and got back to Disneyland in time for the Fireworks. Our kid said afterwards...."Wow....Disneyland has EVERYthing." WE rode BTMRR at night and we all decided that that was the best time to ride it. If you separate your party between mine cars it is the perfect distance to click pictures in the tunnels with one of those cheap box disposabal cameras (i suggest this because you CAN drop it in the dark and I wouldn't want you losing your $$$$ Camera. My stupid sister snapped like 6 pictures so Myslf and Mom look ridiculous screaming. Very funny!)

OCTOBER 7-SATURDAY

The park was so crowded that we were glad that we had done most everything the first two days. Our kid slept in because it was a big deal for her to stay up late the night before AND we had scheduled a character breakfast for SATURDAY morning at PLAZA INN in DLAND. OKAY....here is my advice with kids...schedule that THE FIRST DAY as she was a bit dissapointed because she had already got about half of the character's autographs by that time. IT would have saved us all a lot of time if we had done it first and then she wouldn't have needed any of those autographs. I also don't recommend going that late (ten thirty) as they sat us outside and the characters were all inside. After breakfast we had to go inside and GET the only few autographs she hadn't got. Again, something I hadn't really learned not having a kid with me. We did TOON TOWN and ADVENTURELAND and the family left for SANTA BARBARA leaving me and my sis to finally relax a bit. The parks were so crowded that we spent the rest of the day with cocktails by the pool and doing DOWNTOWN DISNEY. Very nice.

OCTOBER 8, SUNDAY was catch up day for us. We slept in of course and had a leisurely day riding the big rides in both parks with FAST PASSES. WE watched the BLOCK PARTY BASH for the first time ever and it is SO MUCH BETTER than the DL Parade. I think that the PARADES are for the kids primarily. Most of my friends that I go to DLAND with hate the parades (except the LION KING ONE). I know the kids like the Disney characters but our KID liked MEETING them so seeing them in a parade was just ok. BUt the BLOCK PARTY has characters and lots of great dancing and energy. Oh and we watched the HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL and the performers were awesome but it is DEFINITELY for tweeners and the fans of that kind of stuff. Me and my sister were lost on it. Of course the GRR and pool in the afternoon too. The highlight of the trip was dinner at the NAPA ROSE> Awesome room, awesome service, awesome food...my sister had the NY steak and I had Pheasant. The 7 Sins apetizer plate is a work of art. THe best thing though was the cheese plate. I will NOT always be able to afford NAPA ROSE but I will always get the cheese plate at the bar. 8 cheeses for 16 bucks. AMAZING. I am still dreaming about it. Then we went back to the park in our dress clothes in time to catch FANTASMIC. Very cool. A quick ride on the HAUNTED MANSION holiday to end our evening. Still my favorite ride.

MONDAY OCTOBER 9- last day. We did the early entry and did FANTASY LAND since we missed it. Walked on to everything. Really enjoyed that. Then we had to go check out of GC. SO sad. IT just starts to feel like home (oh yes and we did tip housekeeping while staying there...that is per another thread.) We just went back to Dland to say good bye.

Oh I forgot to mention that we watched the FLAG CEREMONY and it is awesome. THe Dapper Dans sing and they salute the military and everyone sings the NATIONAL ANTHEM. VEry cool.

WE also really dug the Hallowe'en decorations. The park looks amazing and I think over the years it will really be bedecked. Now it was just Main ST. But all of the pumpkins and Mickey and Minnie in their Hallowe'en costumes were all very festive. I wish they would have the HAY RACK rides again like they did years ago. That was very cool.

WHEW. Hope you all dug that. I think I was pretty thourogh. See you in DLAND soon....and thank you so much for the birthday greeting from MOUSE PLANET....you guys are swell.......

Oh and "don't let's be silly!'

PS....I never saw the Mad Hatter!!!! Just realized that.

twist1980
10-18-2006, 08:39 AM
Okay we had a child with us but the reason the lines are so long is that when people get to the front they have no idea what they want. Why in the world you would wait in line and NOT spend that time looking at the menu is beyond me.

That is my pet peeve in the parks, or anywhere for that matter. How hard is it to look at the menu and decide before you get to the front of the line!?!?! :rolleyes:

Great TR, it sounds like you had a great time! Hopefully you've gotten your friends and their daughter hooked!

ghoofie
10-18-2006, 08:42 AM
>Then we went back to DL and rode the PIRATES. I don't see what the big
>deal is with the changes. Jack Sparrow is there. He is cool and the OLD ride >is completely intact.

I felt that way too.

Crazy4DL
10-18-2006, 08:59 AM
Fun trip report! Thanks for sharing. I love that you took your friends and thier DD and made sure SHE had a ball. Good for you. :)

Katran
10-18-2006, 09:36 AM
I DID learn a few things with kids/families.

NO. 2- Getting the character's autograph is a HIGH priority. It took a lot longer than I thought but was worth it for her. Just things to factor in.

Thanks for the great trip report! It was a fun read. I also have found that my trips to Disneyland are a bit different (and I must say more fun) when I take my kids than when I go just with other adults. We always make sure to factor in "character time" when taking the kids.