PDA

View Full Version : Patina Empire Returns to Chef -- LATimes

Andrew
10-17-2006, 04:19 PM
Patina Empire Returns to Chef (http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-patina17oct17,1,4388586.story?coll=la-headlines-business) -- LATimes, 2006-10-17

Los Angeles master chef Joachim Splichal has cooked up a deal to buy back his Patina Group of eateries from the international food service company that bought the restaurants six years ago. With the help of a Japanese investor, Splichal and business partner Nick Valenti purchased Patina and portions of New York-based Restaurant Associates Corp. from Compass Group for $90 million.
In addition to the flagship Patina at the Walt Disney Concert Hall, the Splichal-Valenti portfolio includes the Sea Grill at Rockefeller Center in New York, Catal at Downtown Disney in Anaheim and Pinot Brasserie in Las Vegas. The company is a fixture at museums and concert venues, serving patrons at the Hollywood Bowl, the Los Angeles County Museum of Art and the Metropolitan Opera House in New York, among others.

kikid
10-18-2006, 04:44 AM
Patina only owns Catal? I was under the impression they owned Catal, Tortilla Joes and Napoli?

stan4d_steph
10-18-2006, 05:09 AM
Patina only owns Catal? I was under the impression they owned Catal, Tortilla Joes and Napoli?No, the sentence says that their portfolio includes Catal, meaning that there are more properties than are listed.

So from those in the know, is this a good thing? It would seem to me that the food quality might potential improve if a chef is back in charge.

olegc
10-18-2006, 07:57 AM
No, the sentence says that their portfolio includes Catal, meaning that there are more properties than are listed.

So from those in the know, is this a good thing? It would seem to me that the food quality might potential improve if a chef is back in charge.

well, the quality may improve - but I wonder if the AP nights will continue. That kind of a program is more of a marketing partnership and a loss leader - and I would think that a chef would demand people who appreciate (and would pay full price) for their food.

cyberRoo
10-18-2006, 08:36 AM
Incidentally, although it's not really relevant, the Times published a correction today. The company name is actually Patina Restaurant Group, not Patina Associates Group, as published.