PDA

View Full Version : Midnight Dinner

Pages : [1] 2

i tAlK sTitCh
10-16-2006, 10:53 PM
Aloha,
I am planning my first Christmas time trip to Disneyland!
Our flight arrives in Los Angeles at 9:30 p.m. using Super Shuttle to
The Grand Californian I assume we will get there around Midnight?
So what is open on a Thursday for a late night/early morning meal?:confused:

ThemeParkAddictOfOC
10-17-2006, 12:30 AM
Restaurants in Downtown Disney should be open. I don't know about GCH. Might be too late.

Malcon10t
10-17-2006, 06:17 AM
Room service?

tlovesdis
10-17-2006, 07:08 AM
There are a few places on Harbor that are open 24 hours, like Denny's and IHOP! I think the places in DTD stay open pretty late. You can always order room service!

Disneynerd
10-17-2006, 09:44 AM
We've had this problem too. You'll need your strength for the park the next day!
I agree with the folks who recommended room service. Yes, it's expensive, but it will be so annoying to go searching for food.

Or

If you can live on peanut m&ms like I can, there are several vending machines located in the GCH;)

Rhiannon8404
10-17-2006, 10:30 AM
My vote would be for room service. Easy and you can be unwinding, unpacking, etc. while you're waiting for it instead of sitting in a booth somewhere.

Bytebear
10-17-2006, 10:39 AM
I know the hotel bar (located off of the main lobby) serves appetizers and finger foods. They may stop serving at midnight though. But, hey, you can always get liquored up! It might be a nice place to relax if you don't want to go straight to your hotel room.

cstephens
10-17-2006, 02:42 PM
The cantina and taqueria sections of Tortilla Jo's in Downtown Disney are still open at midnight generally. House of Blues might still be open, but that just might be the concert area and not the food area. All the other restaurants in DTD should be closed by midnight.

olegc
10-17-2006, 03:28 PM
Dominoes or Concierge!

How about room service WAITING FOR YOU when you arrive? call ahead!

mariafred963
10-17-2006, 03:33 PM
I vote for room service. From personal experience skip the IHOP.

i tAlK sTitCh
10-17-2006, 06:23 PM
Thanks everyone I really love idea of room service. Just thinking about 14 hours of travel time, then going up to you room and dinner’s ready. Settle the family in and head downstairs for some drinks and M & M’s. WOW talk about the way to start a vacation.
Mahalo everyone !

Niele
10-17-2006, 08:58 PM
Wow, we're going in December, also from Hawaii and on the same time frame (Hawaiian Air/depending on dates). We are using Best Limo so not to spend alot of time on the road dropping folks off on the way but even then we probably won't get to GCH until 11pm. I had the hotel fax me the room service menu and it looked really good so that's our meal for the night. I also plan on ordering some cookies and choc. strawberrys for the kids, beer for DH and some wine for me! I'm still waiting to find out about the Christmas tree and stockings we can order for the room (we'll have the grandkids with us and I know they'll love it). Wishing you a wonderful time, aloha!

ps: hope you are ok after last weekend's "rock and roll"!!!!

i tAlK sTitCh
10-17-2006, 11:10 PM
Aloha Niele
I double the WOW!
We were supposed to arrive in the morning now we arrive at night. Hawaiian Air cancelled our flight. Needed to add another night hotel but that is ok just more planning to do. I love to plan!

I just got a menu faxed a few hours ago from April in room service, she’s the greatest even called me back to check if I received everything.

*We can order our food ahead of time!*

You must be on vacation planning’s Christmas trees and stocking list too. Not sure if I want to haul a tree to Vegas before heading back to the Islands. Are going to Vegas before coming home?

Hope your Ohana’s OK? My Ohana is fine, thanks for asking.
Did you feel todays shake? News said we had a few more. Not sure with the kids jumping around the whole house shakes.

Aloha Oe

hbquikcomjamesl
10-18-2006, 10:14 AM
So is the mess from the big quake cleaned up? Power back on? Roads open?

GrumpyUTboi
10-18-2006, 11:23 AM
Just be prepared for 2 hour waits on rides, well the pooh ride was only 45 min wait, you are very brave to spend Christmas as DL. I guess that everybody should experience the mad house once in a life time. Make sure you get to the park early, last year by 10 am they were not letting any more people into the park.

As for food there are a few different places, Papa John's, Domino's, IHOP and Dennys are a few choices. Not the best but after traveling all day, anything will do.

Malcon10t
10-18-2006, 06:06 PM
Just be prepared for 2 hour waits on rides, well the pooh ride was only 45 min wait, you are very brave to spend Christmas as DL. I guess that everybody should experience the mad house once in a life time. Make sure you get to the park early, last year by 10 am they were not letting any more people into the park.Weird, we were there on Christmas and went in about 1:15pm and it wasn't bad. Maybe it lightened up after noon. It got heavy about 4. During the week between CHristmas and New Years, most waits for the big rides were 60-90 minutes. Splash was close to 2 hours, but the rest were closer to 60 (90 for Indy.) Pooh was rarely over 10 minutes when we were there. But I can only handle Pooh once a trip anyway.

Niele
10-18-2006, 08:45 PM
Hi again i tAlK sTitCh. Yes, we came through relatively unscathed and I'm glad you all did, too. I dealt with April and she called me also to confirm I had received the fax (very cool of her). I'm on the "tree list" but I still have not heard back. Please let me know when they contact you and I will do the same. I'm planning on shipping it home UPS or Fedex, mo' bettah! We're actually driving up to our kids after DL right before Christmas for the holiday. DH wants to get a day or two of skiing in also, we'll see. As for Vegas, "go for broke"! Aloha!

Hi hbquikcomjamesl - the "mess" on all islands (Ni'ihau, Kauai, Oahu, Molokai, Lanai, Maui) with the exception of Hawaii is pretty much taken care of but the Big Island still has some issues. The power is back on but some structures in the Kona/Waimea area had damages. Kawaihae Harbor (Kona side) just opened again for shipping on a restricted level. Some roads over there have detours but pretty much everything is getting back on track. We sent one of our guys over to help assess the piers over there and he had no problem with car rental, hotel or airlines - thank you for asking.

hbquikcomjamesl
10-18-2006, 10:09 PM
Glad to hear things are returning to normal. You have a beautiful state.

Last November, I split a week between Honolulu, western Maui, and the Big Island (flying in and out of Hilo, and spending about 24 hours in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, in what was, despite the efforts of Pleasant Holidays to steer me in conventional directions, what may very well be the most unconventional Hawaiian vacation in history.

Never even got close to Kona, but I did go out to the lava flow. You haven't lived until you've hiked on lava in leather-soled Florsheims; if I hadn't, from my years of working in ice rinks, been used to walking on ice, I probably would have fallen several times. As it is, I'm glad I didn't take the long trail! Bought an extra flashlight before I left the Volcano House, and as I passed the ranger station (having no further use for it, and not wanting to have to pack it in my luggage), I gave it to a family that hadn't brought enough flashlights.

Enjoy your visit to DL.

i tAlK sTitCh
10-19-2006, 12:40 AM
Just be prepared for 2 hour waits on rides, well the pooh ride was only 45 min wait, you are very brave to spend Christmas as DL. I guess that everybody should experience the mad house once in a life time. Make sure you get to the park early, last year by 10 am they were not letting any more people into the park. I’m preparing for the worst crowds I ever seen. I am hoping the week before Christmas will not be too bad. We usually go in October but I have always wanted to see Disneyland at Christmas time. I’m so EXCITED!

Picked up a few tips from other posters:
-Line up at 6:30 a.m. on EE days
-Use AAA Fast Pass
-Ride during Parade, Fantasmic and Fireworks times
-Take a break in the afternoon and return at night
-Bring my own Poncho
-Crowds will leave if it rains ??

Rain in 80 degrees weather no problem, but rain in 50 degrees weather. How do I plan for that? T-shirt, sweatshirt, jacket, poncho, thermo undies, jeans, garbage bags to sit on, socks, shoes, plastic bags over my shoes, gloves, hat and umbrella.

Help! What do I need for cold rainy weather? I hope it don’t rain.

Disneynerd
10-19-2006, 05:37 AM
Rain in 80 degrees weather no problem, but rain in 50 degrees weather. How do I plan for that? T-shirt, sweatshirt, jacket, poncho, thermo undies, jeans, garbage bags to sit on, socks, shoes, plastic bags over my shoes, gloves, hat and umbrella.My husband and I are excellent at layering! We go in March when it can be beautiful one day and rainy and cold the next. Here's our theory: don't worry about your legs getting cold- it's not as bothersome as cold arms and ears. So, wear shorts or capris, a short sleeve shirt with a hooded sweatshirt over it. And a pullover windbreaker that you can tie around your waist. Tennis shoes and athletic socks that are NOT 100% cotton. Works every time. Don't weight yourself down with garbage bags, you'll be able to find a covered bench. Spend most of your time on long, in-door attractions (pirates, mr. lincoln, dl railroad etc). The lines will be shorter which is a major bonus!

Tinkermell
10-19-2006, 08:39 AM
Word of caution. The evenings in December can get really cold. It can be a beautiful day, but at night when the sun goes down...beware. We have pictures of us in hats, mittens, Disney sweatshits, coats and so on to keep warm. Especially when you are sitting and waiting for parades, fireworks, and Fantasmic. Stuff everything in a locker just in case and then you'll be prepared. Have a great time.:)
PS We're going in Dec. too. Can't wait to see the decorations and snow.:fez:

hbquikcomjamesl
10-19-2006, 09:18 AM
To give you a (hopefully) familiar referent:
Prepare as if for a winter visit to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.

Also, remember this: if it's raining, but not particularly cold, you have the ideal weather for Splash Mountain and Grizzly River: the lines will be short, and you'll be dressed for the ride.

Just don't even think about raising an umbrella on either attraction: somebody could get hurt!

Niele
10-19-2006, 10:44 AM
I'm bringing winter clothes but if I forget something I can always buy it at one of the shops in DTD or the little gift shop downstairs at GCH, they had sweatshirts, pants, etc., last time we were there. Another tip I've seen is getting the hand warmer packets, we use them skiing and they are so nice. I'll just keep them in my pockets. Hopefully being relatively close at GCH we'll just run back to the hotel for a change of clothes, if necessary.

MrHobbes
10-19-2006, 10:57 AM
Wow, we're going in December, also from Hawaii and on the same time frame (Hawaiian Air/depending on dates). We are using Best Limo so not to spend alot of time on the road dropping folks off on the way but even then we probably won't get to GCH until 11pm. I had the hotel fax me the room service menu and it looked really good so that's our meal for the night. I also plan on ordering some cookies and choc. strawberrys for the kids, beer for DH and some wine for me! I'm still waiting to find out about the Christmas tree and stockings we can order for the room (we'll have the grandkids with us and I know they'll love it). Wishing you a wonderful time, aloha!

ps: hope you are ok after last weekend's "rock and roll"!!!!

Why not call Best Limo and have them pick up some cold beer and wine and a Hawaiian pizza. You can munch and drink in the limo on the way to your hotel...
Then right to bed, ready for a busy day !!

Niele
10-19-2006, 11:11 AM
OOOOH! now you're talking MrHobbes! Actually our kids/grandkids are driving down from SF area so have enlisted them to stock up the empty refers we ordered and then DH and I will order some corn chowder or nachos through room service when we arrive. BUT, your idea is sounding pretty good, I may have to rethink my thinking - LOL!